test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What does RPing in STO usually entail?

tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Captain's Table (RP)
I have been playing STO on and off for the past 4 years, and RPing has never really crossed my mind until recently. I've been playing the Foundry, and have been loving the great stories that come from it. I have RP'ed on other platforms (mostly chat programs actually) in the past, so the idea of creating a story with others is something that I'm acquainted with.

So when you RP on STO, what does it usually entail? Is it usually teaming up with people on missions but including dialogue? Does it involve creating episodes and acting them out? Is everyone their own captain, or do people band together to make a single crew? Does it involve actual gameplay, or is it mostly through text?

I'm not sure if RPing in STO would be for me at this point, as I'm at the level of mild interest. However, any information or tips people could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I thank you all in advance for responding.
Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
Post edited by tiro100 on

Comments

• bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    SUBJ: What does RPing in STO usually involve?– STO Forum post.

Hey tiro100,

So, RPing in STO…That’s a pretty big question, but I’m going to take a stab at it. Let me preface everything I’m about to say with the following: ”This works for me. What works for me, may not work for you.”

Now that we have that out of the way, here’s the nuts and bolts. How RP works is entirely up to you. I’ve seen it multiple times that a group of players band together and form the crew of a starship. This tends to work quite well, but if you have a player in a key position, and they don’t log in for extended periods, this can cause issues.

The other is to join a Roleplaying fleet, such as the 26th Fleet, Task Force Argo, the list is endless. Ususally when you join a fleet like this, you take on a position as a ships’ captain or as a member of the starbase staff (I play the First Officer of our Starbase for example). This gives the added possibility for you to start at the lower ranks (LT. JG, ENS) and learn the roleplay as you learn who your character is and develop them.

The best example I can think of is several of our Veteran members who joined the fleet as Ensigns and in their time with the fleet have made it to the rank of Captain or higher.

Honestly though, the best thing you can do, before you think about any of this is to figure out who you want your character to be! Do you want to be an intrepid explorer out in the far reaches of the Delta Quadrant, only touching base with your fleet once in a blue moon? Do you want to be the Chief Science officer of a research outpost, fighting the base commander to get your agenda advanced? Or do you want to be a Romulan civilian taking refuge on a Klingon starbase?

Where you want to take your character is entirely up to you, but I would advise you of a couple of things;

1) Any actions you take in-character will more than likely have in-character consequences.
    A lot of RP fleets will have both IC and OOC disciplinary proceedures that they will follow if they find a member breaching their rules and terms of service. Remember, the fleets in STO are diplomatic. They are designed to cater to the majority, not the one.

2) No-one wants to play Captain Fantastic who can travel at warp 100 and kill a million Borg with his left pinky.
    In the RP world, God-modding is reall, really not appreciated. Sometimes it’s the characters flaws that make them shine through and help you learn who you want your character to be.

3) You are a member of a team.
    A few RPers that I’ve met have lost sight of the fact that the RP is not all about them. Some of the best RP is a collaborative effort between the characters involved. No one member of any fleet can be expected to provide plots and ideas to keep any and all of the membership entertained, so don’t be afraid to make suggestions, kick off a spontaneous event, or even, kick
    back and relax.

4) Oh, really, your uncle was Captian Jean-Luc Picard?!
    Yeah……A friendly suggestion, stay away from Cannon characters/events/ships. If you want to have served on DS9 as an Ensign, that’s fine. But in general, you’re best off making your character from scratch.

I’ll keep this post up to date, and I have no doubt that I’ve only glossed the surface, but if you want to find out more about RP fleets and ours in particular, head to the 26th Fleet’s Page.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll be more than happy to ansewr them for you if I can.

Hope this helps.
    Mark Shranz@bobsled624

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    RP is sitting in Quarks for hours on end.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    standing in a corner talking to yourself for hours will you see spam add's for ec and keys flash across your chat screen?
  • biscottavasobiscottavaso Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bobsled624 wrote: »
    SUBJ: What does RPing in STO usually involve?– STO Forum post.

The other is to join a Roleplaying fleet, such as the 26th Fleet, Task Force Argo, the list is endless. Ususally when you join a fleet like this, you take on a position as a ships’ captain or as a member of the starbase staff (I play the First Officer of our Starbase for example). This gives the added possibility for you to start at the lower ranks (LT. JG, ENS) and learn the roleplay as you learn who your character is and develop them...

...I’ll keep this post up to date, and I have no doubt that I’ve only glossed the surface, but if you want to find out more about RP fleets and ours in particular, head to the 26th Fleet’s Page.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll be more than happy to answer them for you if I can.

Hope this helps.
    Mark Shranz@bobsled624

:confused:

If I'm in a fleet - European Space Agencies - and I want to do RPing, what should I do? Ask my fleet if we could host one? Or simply switch to an RP fleet for a bit?

Hope you can answer,

Khazak@biscottavaso
  • duskstrider101duskstrider101 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Anyone know of any KDF fleets that do roleplaying that are recruiting?
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Holy Necro Batman.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Holy Necro Batman.

Well, at least it was from this year! It's relatively fresh from the grave! :D