test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Mystery Revamp

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
With our 5-Year Anniversary Event coming up, we're happy to announce the newly updated Mystery Event series for players to enjoy. This reworked collection features new missions, voice acting, and more! Learn more about it here in our latest Developer blog

You can check it out here.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    While I'm always glad to see revamping, the loss of 11 missions is sad. :(
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    No need to remove Saturday's Child...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    with the new absurd patrol grind and upgrade pay walls, total ruination of pvp with rampant imbalance and i win buttons, casual play of new STO story content as its released is about the only reason i see myself ever logging on again.

so, looking forward to these missions.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    walshicus wrote: »

They are removing stuff that they don't think is up to the same kind of quality that they have been doing as of late. The mission doesn't contribute well to the story they want to tell.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What perspective do the missions take if you play as rommie?.
    Will this mean my rommie has to enter a temporal paradox to play these missions?
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    walshicus wrote: »

I agree. Although it doesn't have much (anything?) to do with the Romulans, and so would be better placed elsewhere. Perhaps in the first mission arc, to get us to like Miral Paris more before she becomes the centre of attention.

I'd also like "Under the Cover of Night" to remain. Its a nice enough mission that doesn't have any effect on the Republic, and shows that a certain faction of The Federation isn't afraid to gets its hands a little dirty. Just replayed it, and whilst the initial space portion is a bit (Read: Very) long, its no worse than any more modern content.
  • illustriousqillustriousq Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Distilling 14 episodes down to 4 episodes is a terrible waste of resources. Both for game assets and story potential.

Seriously, distilling the series down that much really makes the galaxy feel very small.

Expect my full feedback on the revision (I have played the 4 new episodes) sometime this week in the feedback section.

Will it be listened to? Probably not, but I have a right as a paying customer to voice my opinion, and I shall do just that.
    edited January 2015
    z3ndor99 wrote: »
    Will this mean my rommie has to enter a temporal paradox to play these missions?

If you can. Who's to say they won't remain Federation exclusive? Actually, that's a good question. Are these revamped missions Federation exclusives?
  • djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    Removal of content is always bad, and this is a colossal removal of content. Just because a mission doesn't go along with the 'main story' doesn't mean it should get axed. Star Trek is a character-driven show with character arcs, and occasional plot arcs. Isolated one-off stories like Saturday's Child serve to reinforce that you are a starship captain who gets given missions by command that can be completely unrelated to any previous mission.

Replace the missions that have been condensed, but leave in all the ones that you're not condensing. That's what I would do.
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    z3ndor99 wrote: »

I suspect you can't play them at all as Romulan, because the original missions in that time are not part of the Romulan storyline either. Only the former Featured Episodes involving Obisiek are accessible to Romulan and Federation (and also Klingons), and they don't change.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    qjunior wrote: »

Basically this. The old missions may not have been good, but they were missions.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • orsonditurnoorsonditurno Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This seems like a stealth nerf to xp for the federation players condensing 11 missions to 4.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I only vaguely remember Saturday's Child, but I think it wasn't a bad thing to have missions that don't follow the primary story line.

Maybe Saturday's Child should not be a "main story line mission", but just a kind of "Patrol" mission you stumble upon when you enter that system? And then one could slowly revamp all the old patrols (all those that are basically just exploration cluster missions) to be a bit more complex to create "side treks" that people find by "exploring"?

And if someone just wants to follow the main storyline, he can do that with the usual method...
    This seems like a stealth nerf to xp for the federation players condensing 11 missions to 4.

Depends on how much XP the new missions grant, doesn't it?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maybe i'm missing the obvious, but the article stated that the rewards were updated.
    As far as i can tell on tribble the rewards have not changed.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm glad they are redoing this. And making them better. Besides most of the older missions was Fed only anyways. And some just felt wrong doing them.

Looking forward to doing these and will help me out on getting more exp on my Fed. I just did one of the older missions to get the overcharged rifle. Shame I can give it to my Romulan she would make better use out of it.

Been nice if they added some KDF to the missions as well. On how the KDF got introduced with the Elachi.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • orsonditurnoorsonditurno Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I only vaguely remember Saturday's Child, but I think it wasn't a bad thing to have missions that don't follow the primary story line.

Maybe Saturday's Child should not be a "main story line mission", but just a kind of "Patrol" mission you stumble upon when you enter that system? And then one could slowly revamp all the old patrols (all those that are basically just exploration cluster missions) to be a bit more complex to create "side treks" that people find by "exploring"?

And if someone just wants to follow the main storyline, he can do that with the usual method...

Depends on how much XP the new missions grant, doesn't it?

If you expect Cryptic to put 11 missions worth of experience into 4 missions I am afraid you're going to be disappointed.
  • dashnochrisdashnochris Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Maybe i'm missing the obvious, but the article stated that the rewards were updated.
    As far as i can tell on tribble the rewards have not changed.

How many of the Accolades previously obtainable via this arc are being removed in the revamp/rewrite?

--Chris
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The loss of over ten missions aside, with the Anniversary Event looming I hope someone on the Dev team had the sense to add the deplorable Q-Mendations that will inevitably be required for the Anniversary Ship (because players who've played for five years deserve to have their loyalty rewarded with another mind-numbing grind, naturally) instead of giving us one lump sum that doesn't even cover half and then force us into the god-awful Q Minigames to get the rest.

I'm serious. Whoever is in charge of introducing the Q-Minigames, you are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Slightly off-topic, but back to the topic at hand; The loss of eleven or so missions pretty much wrecks your 26-32 levelling unless these revamped missions drop a metric ton of XP for clearing them. I hope someone has considered this.

Sela's model aside though, looking forward to the revamps.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Removal of content is always bad, and this is a colossal removal of content. Just because a mission doesn't go along with the 'main story' doesn't mean it should get axed. Star Trek is a character-driven show with character arcs, and occasional plot arcs. Isolated one-off stories like Saturday's Child serve to reinforce that you are a starship captain who gets given missions by command that can be completely unrelated to any previous mission.

Replace the missions that have been condensed, but leave in all the ones that you're not condensing. That's what I would do.
    Distilling 14 episodes down to 4 episodes is a terrible waste of resources. Both for game assets and story potential.

Seriously, distilling the series down that much really makes the galaxy feel very small.

Expect my full feedback on the revision (I have played the 4 new episodes) sometime this week in the feedback section.

Will it be listened to? Probably not, but I have a right as a paying customer to voice my opinion, and I shall do just that.

I agree with these. The Romulan series made the galaxy feel that bigger. In series, there are often other things going on outside of the main story arc.

I can't believe anyone suggested 'condense 14 episodes down to 4 (not particularly long ones)' and people then went 'yeah, that's a fantastic idea.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The original Romulan Mystery story missions begin at level 26. Romulan faction player's will have already chosen an Ally at level 9. To eliminate confusion, can anyone who has tested these new stories confirm - one way or the other - if there is any additional story information for a Federation-allied Romulan which isn't redundant through Republic-specific content?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    another revamp no one asked for... even more sad with it being average new content while so much many older and urgent things are left untouched...

keep it and get a cookie :P
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    The original Romulan Mystery story missions begin at level 26. Romulan faction player's will have already chosen an Ally at level 9. To eliminate confusion, can anyone who has tested these new stories confirm - one way or the other - if there is any additional story information for a Federation-allied Romulan which isn't redundant through Republic-specific content?

I have good news and bad news for you. Everything is fine with the Romulans (good news) as they can't play Federation missions (bad news). :P
    edited January 2015
    johngazman wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but back to the topic at hand; The loss of eleven or so missions pretty much wrecks your 26-32 levelling unless these revamped missions drop a metric ton of XP for clearing them. I hope someone has considered this.

I haven't even reached those missions (Well, I've just done In the Shadows of Night) on my new Federation character, and he's just hit level 50. Now I'll admit that's with 5 Winter Wonderland races and a hefty number of DOff missions (And a bit of time under double exp (Though he was level 34-ish and at Doomsday Weapon long before the weekend)) he's not where he should be, but unless you skip the DOff system entirely, the level guidelines have become farcical anyway.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm glad I hadn't really got into leveling up my Fed Sci yet. This will help as I won't have to go back and redo them again. So it will be kinda all new as they level up.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ^^
    This. Cryptic is the ONLY MMO developer I know that seems to take pride in REMOVING content entirely (instead of reworking in into other game areas where it would be nice, like leaving old story content as system patrols.)

It's amazing to me that we have designers feeling there's too much content in STO when the reality is, that after 5 years it's still one of the most story content light MMOs I've played since I started playing MMOs (wit7h SOE's EQ) since 1999.

The fact a lead design person signed off on this and somehow Cryptic managemennt sees it as an improvement speaks volumes as to Cryptic's overall incompetence as a developer (IMO). Removing content is NEVER a good thing for any MMO; and the fact they just pull stuff out is ridiculous.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have good news and bad news for you. Everything is fine with the Romulans (good news) as they can't play Federation missions (bad news). :P

To be clear, I don't mean mission content for the sake of mission content to play through. I just want to be confident that Fed-Allied Romulan Republic characters don't miss important plot points by not being able to play these missions. If they get the story they need through Republic story missions than the new missions would be redundant for them. In other words, they can't play them and nothing is lost by not being able to?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ^^
    This. Cryptic is the ONLY MMO developer I know that seems to take pride in REMOVING content entirely (instead of reworking in into other game areas where it would be nice, like leaving old story content as system patrols.)

It's amazing to me that we have designers feeling there's too much content in STO when the reality is, that after 5 years it's still one of the most story content light MMOs I've played since I started playing MMOs (wit7h SOE's EQ) since 1999.

The fact a lead design person signed off on this and somehow Cryptic managemennt sees it as an improvement speaks volumes as to Cryptic's overall incompetence as a developer (IMO). Removing content is NEVER a good thing for any MMO; and the fact they just pull stuff out is ridiculous.

I think this sums it up quite nicely. It's absolutely mind-boggling that they would remove content, especially in a game that already has a severe dearth of it.
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    To be clear, I don't mean mission content for the sake of mission content to play through. I just want to be confident that Fed-Allied Romulan Republic characters don't miss important plot points by not being able to play these missions. If they get the story they need through Republic story missions than the new missions would be redundant for them. In other words, they can't play them and nothing is lost by not being able to?

Romulans currently do not get to play this story arc. They are missing nothing.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well I'm not happy with the removal of these missions loss of content and gaining very little in return not a good day for STO I'm not crying Doom but its the beginning of the digging of the grave now
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ^^

I agree with some of the points you make.

Particularly at a time when spec points are already difficult to come by due to the removal of the old mirror universe, the removal of 11 missions seems rather short sighted. If the reasoning behind retiring these missions and condensing the storyline is that the missions are extraneous or lackluster, I understand that. However, there is another standard by which content should be judged, that is, will it's removal cause more harm than good and by extension if more harm than good is done, is the new content replacing the old content a worthy substitute in that, for example, it grants the same amount of spec points or rewards as the old missions did.

Additionally, I have a difficult time believing that these 4 missions will grant as many spec points as the older set of missions did, and I fail to understand why you remove content without having a proper replacement. Can a dev please explain how the new condensed set of missions will make up for the loss of spec points?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif