test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sound effects?

wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
I know you can't add sound effects as such, but I also know that some detail objects make noises. What kind of noises? Is there any object I could spawn that makes a noise like a drumbeat? What about a bell, gong or bleeper?

Thought I would ask this in case anyone happens to know already, rather than trying out all the different detail objects!
Post edited by wombat140 on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not sure exactly, but you can ADD a sound effect to objects now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only thing that produces a sound along those lines is the ping sound effect created by the beacon.

As for the sound effect field on detail objects, I've never gotten that to work.
  • Options
    lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, adding sound to an object is really hit or miss, mostly miss. And it's all ambient noise, no actual sound effects.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Perhaps there should be.

Thanks, all three of you, for the advice - I'll try a few things, the beacon and so on, and if they don't work, then at least I know I've been trying the right things. It's not vital to the mission; it's just that the gong and the drum are part of the plot. If I can't make an actual sound like that, I can just say in the text that they're there and that will work, but of course it would be much more exciting if they were actually heard!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    some of the crystal themed objects make a cool warbling noise but it's not very loud.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's the "scanning beam" or whatever it's called that makes a pretty distinctive sound. I used it in my last mission.

Also, in a map I was working on for an unpublished (and probably abandoned) mission, I sunk a ToS medical table into the floor so I could get that sound in the room.

I remember some plants make noises, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    agarwaencranagarwaencran Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The only thing that produces a sound along those lines is the ping sound effect created by the beacon.

As for the sound effect field on detail objects, I've never gotten that to work.

Greetings from germany :)

Ehm... that work... but the sound is very quietly and only on the object. If you want a sound on a forcefield, you hear it only if the "camera" is ON the forcefield
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Try sickbeds under the floor or behind a wall. Some, like TOS ones make interesting noises.

I did manage to get a sound effect to work by having an object hidden that had attached to it one of the ambient sounds that made it seem like you spawned in a subway station (In Blast to the Past: Saving Gideon). That worked well as a loud underground vibe - that was set to disappear when you leave the area.

I tried applying sounds of a space station to floors but the sound only seems to show up when your camera is at the very centre of the floor or object so not sure about it all yet.