What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Command Specialization

13»

Comments

• thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    venkou wrote: »
    ...but, you will only run the same stfs (missions) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... STO is an endless repetitive circle.

Players 'don't need' these skills.

*grind through same exact missions a 1,000 times*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*

So, what are you actually accomplishing?

No end goals. No player character story development.

While you may be unlocking new skills, the reality is that you are running in place.

*shrugs*

Everything at the end of the game is a meaningless treadmill.

...and, that is why "Star Trek: Online" has more in common with work than with entertainment and fun.

Link: Worf and Riker playing "Star Trek: Online"

lol, and all I have to say about this is the following, "WELCOME TO AN MMO". End of story, all MMO's are more or less this anyways.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lol, and all I have to say about this is the following, "WELCOME TO AN MMO". End of story, all MMO's are more or less this anyways.
    I think that is why I went back to single-player and offline role-playing games.
  • bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    venkou wrote: »
    ...but, you will only run the same stfs (missions) over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... STO is an endless repetitive circle.

Players 'don't need' these skills.

*obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*
    *obtain skill*

So, what are you actually accomplishing?

No end goals. No player character story development.

While you may be unlocking new skills, the reality is that you are running in place.

*shrugs*

Everything at the end of the game is a meaningless treadmill.

This comment is somewhat meaningless. After all, what is the point of spending even one second developing a character if this is how you feel? Sure, we don't "need" it but we didn't "need" a single expansion or any update since release. The only thing I guess we "need" is bug fixes.

The point of this is to offer players more diversity in how they build their characters/ships. I am not a grinder and I don't think the average player is either. So we must make choices as having all skills, all specializations, etc isn't really something I focus on. I play what style makes sense for me.

What end goal would you be looking for? A final objective where you kill a boss and the game ends? What fun is that in an MMO? Reach the highest level and the game ends? Again, what fun is that? How do you want character story development exactly? Do you want me to make a choice in game that affects how, when, and where you play the game? Aside from being technically challenging, how would this work and do you really want the choices from a single guy in Russia (or name the country) to change the course of the game? So I'm pretty confused by what it is you are asking here.

Lastly, name any MMO that is different. I can name a ton that are WAY worse and very few that are better.
  • picardcrusherpicardcrusher Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bmcd73 wrote: »
    ... Lastly, name any MMO that is different. I can name a ton that are WAY worse and very few that are better.

Your join date is the answer to your question. This MMO used to be different, and it was WAY better.

:cool:
    Originally they promoted this game as the levelless MMO. That was a response to the hard reality that for D'angelo to actually get it out before the project folded, it was rushed out without a lot of story content. End game was PVP or making an alt, and you could get there in a day. Game designers refuse to recognize this was a good thing. No one wants to become the hero. Everyone wants to be the hero.

:D
    The great thing about it was that PVP was really exciting. PVP ques would pop within seconds. Then Dan Stahl had his concept of regular featured episodes and even though the every few weeks release date turned out to be a bit ambitious, people where thrilled. We had regular stories and thrilling interplayer play that was complex enough to sink your teeth into, but not too hard to learn.

:(
    Then Atari's financial problems sent Cryptic to PWE and the business model they favour has crushed the PVP community and relegated story development to a lower priority. When you hear people making these kinds of complaints it is because for a while us old hands had a vision of the perfect world. Then Perfect World came along and killed it.

Oh wait... we all have that crappy join date because of PWE... nm

Nerfing is Fraud...
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Personally, I think this reduction in Fleet Support time is great, for all class of captains, when using the Command Specialization. However, I would personally like to see the Photonic Fleet cool down reduced, from 4 minutes to 3 minutes.;)

The Captain trait "Photonic Capacitor" (available from a genetic resequencer on the Exchange--they came as one of the Lockbox prizes) grants a 20 second cooldown reduction on Photonic Fleet every time you use a BOFF or Captain Science power, and the reductions stack--that is to say that using two powers (e.g. Sensor Scan and Subnucleonic Beam) will give you a 40 second reduction, etc.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My main is only LvL 88. Increasing cap to LvL 140 makes me cry. :(

You're further along than I... I still haven't gotten a single Starship Trait unlocked from the Specializations on any character, if that's any indication. :P

With the new (Delta Rising) progression scheme I really don't need another Specialization. I can't train Intel III abilities, don't need an Intel ship as a result, and it will probably be the same with Command. Also, since level 60 still holds between +1 and +36 Active Specialization Points... it's still a lot of captain power shoved into a single variable upon which scaling/matchmaking is based.

The idea is nice, but I'm more interested in the ship, if any, and how many times I need to jump through what hoops to get it. ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The Captain trait "Photonic Capacitor" (available from a genetic resequencer on the Exchange--they came as one of the Lockbox prizes) grants a 20 second cooldown reduction on Photonic Fleet every time you use a BOFF or Captain Science power, and the reductions stack--that is to say that using two powers (e.g. Sensor Scan and Subnucleonic Beam) will give you a 40 second reduction, etc.

Uhm, my Science captain got that one stock, so I'm not sure why yours had to get it off the Exchange.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Uhm, my Science captain got that one stock, so I'm not sure why yours had to get it off the Exchange.

The poster you quoted is mistaken, Photonic Capacitor is available to all science characters. There is no lockbox item for it. Also he forgot that the cooldown reduction has a cooldown itself, pressing multiple science abilities at the same time is a waste where this trait is concerned. :D
  • saphira123456789saphira123456789 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Guys; as an Engi captain; and one who LIKES new stuff AND levelling, but DOESN'T like going Ka-Boom I think that this new speciialization is great.

Plus; think of it this way: We can have "our own" AI-Controlled fleet of ships, while retaining our bridge officers.

Thanks to the removal of the low-hull requirement to activate Fleet Assistance and call for help; you can engage in a tough fight and then WHAM! The NPCs will get a nasty surprise when backup arrives right off the bat!

Couple that with the fact that when you activate the ability; you get an AI-Controlled BATTLESHIP as an ally above Level 51 and that said battleship is TEN LEVELS ABOVE YOU; (If you're level 51; Battleship is level SIXTY ONE) bye-bye Enemy Space NPC! And then; if there's multiple shps, and another starts hitting you, soon it'll be BYE-BYE Enemy FLEET, as all the enemies who attack you go down pretty quickly!

And just wait until you have a fight with the Enterprise or another ally by your side!

The Enterprise AND an allied Battleship should help you take down ANY who attempt to get in your way.

Klingons; Romulans, when your Flagships assist, and you call in some backup alongside them... Surprise, surprise!

The space-borne enemies in this should be easy pickings!

And when ALL THREE Flagships unite in power and aid you with a mission, spawn an allied Battleship in support and BYE-BYE!

The enemies you'll face then might as well flee the scene immediately, because they have no chance against the awesome might that the THREE Alpha-Quadrant Flagships bring to the table; your ship, AND a Battleship!

And Voyager's additional help here in Delta Rising will be a nice bonus of course; seeing as it IS a science ship and none of the Flagships are pure Cruiser, pure Science OR pure Tactical.. They're each multi-purpose and jack-of-all-trades ships; but like the saying goes; "Jack-of-All-Trades; Master of None" the Flagships of the Alpha Quadrant's Fleets can claim no specialty. Voyager can; though. And so can players' Sci Ships. But for us Engineer and Tactical players; Voyager is a BIG help.
  • rooster241rooster241 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    please tell me you'll also tweak the exp numbers, because i'm a fairly active player and i'm not even halfway through my specs... and only one of my alts is 60...
    theres a big honking problem right now with getting xp, theres an even bigger honking problem how the progression feels (i'll help you: it feels like you're not progressing), and putting in new shiny abilities will only make the hard-hard-nolifer-hard core one percent to grind through argala again, the rest of us will just give up the game eventually...

thinking about giving up the game right now actually :(
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We have a new Captain Specialization coming that offers additional advancement opportunities, exciting new abilities, and a whole new set of options for building out your captain's capabilities!

Learn more about it here.

~LaughingTrendy

Please just tell me there's a T6 Galaxy coming along with it. Given its role in the Dominion War as formation flagship, it strikes me as the perfect ship to hang a Command specialization on.

I'm telling you, if a T6 version of the Galaxy-R, not the Galaxy-X, underline, comes out, I'll open my wallet instead of grinding for it like I did for my last two ships.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • papasezpapasez Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'll throw my voice into the chorus of people signing that the xp cost to earn a spec point is currently too high. I have no issue with progression pre level 60, it's only once you start getting into the spec trees that it starts to feel excessively grindy and s l o o o w. The sheer number of points required **per tree** (primary and secondary) to earn bonuses and unlocks further exasperates the issue.

If not an out-right reduction in the cost per point, perhaps a re-ordering of the trees of lowering the levels at which certain bonuses unlock would allow the system to feel like you're progressing at an acceptable rate. Maybe consolidating certain skills in the secondary trees, effectively lowering the number of points required to cap it while it increasing the effectiveness of the skill is the answer.

Whatever the answer to the problem is, it would be a great first step if someone at Cryptic could acknowledge they know it's an issue and are looking into it. I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that the current progression rate isn't cutting the mustard for most players. Whether in game or on the forums, I'm yet to hear anyone say they wouldn't mind seeing it lowered (to put it in the absolute mildest terms). Not saying they aren't out there, they just seem to be a pretty rare bird.

All that said, love the new Command tree and am looking forward to one day in the very far future, gaining a benefit or two from it. In the mean time, I have all those points in Intel I ground out that I can watch do nothing for me ever again. Seriously, who designs a system like that in this day and age? I feel like I'm playing EQ1 or AC1 again - it's all so 'backwards' and frustrating.
  • generalguncraftgeneralguncraft Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    it would be really nice if cryptic would find it in their hearts to give the normal 5% proc chance on torps for the expose too other wise this brilliant looking torpedo specialization set up is at best usless and at worst an irritation for any one running a torpedo boat