test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proton/Protonic Polaron build help!

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
Thinking about starting a Polaron build for my Bug ship, and I'm thinking of doing a cannon build.

I'm liking the Dyson space weapon set, but I only have the torpedo and the console. I see that the Dyson Proton Weapon acts like a beam and a cannon, so pairing that with protonic polaron seems like a fun choice.

Question: should I go with Fleet Locators (for CrtD) or some of the Dyson TAC consoles (for Polaron and Proton damage buff)?
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    @dyson proton weapon: do not do it, you will lower your damage if you use it
    @console: use fleet locators (CrtH) - exploiters are CrtD
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For Non-Intel/Surgical Strikes builds, Protonic Polaron weapons present some very bad dilemmas.

The idea of the proc is neat, but making it reliable enough is a different matter.

To make your Proton damage hit harder (Dyson Set "Proton Barrage" and Proton Dmg Proc) there are a few means of improving it, 1 being the Dyson TAC Consoles. But those TAC Consoles are bad compromises:
    - Half-assed buff to the basic damage type
    - Half-assed buff to Proton Dmg
    - Acc buff, not CritH or CritD

Compared to Spire TAC Consoles that give a far stronger basic damage type buff while providing a far more important CritH or CritD buff but does not buff Proton Dmg.

Increases to CritH is important because the Protonic Proc is based on a 25% chance to occur IF you Crit Hit. Stuffing Dyson TAC Consoles makes your Crit Hit more unreliable but have a stronger Proton Dmg when it does Proc. Stuffing Spire TAC Consoles makes your Crit Hit better but does not increase your Proton Dmg.

Also, theorizing here and have not put into practice:
    - Roms of course can achieve some insane Crit buffs due to Captain & BOFF Romulan Operative / Superior Romulan Operative Traits stacking. This would help mitigate the loss of Crit Hit by using Dyson TAC Consoles, but that's still a significant slap against Crit Hit.

- Intel Ships utilizing Surgical Strikes that have a very high +Acc and +CritH buff.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dyson experimental proton weapon is very good even w/o a console to boost its dmg . I recomend to use the full set (good bonuses) , as for tac console use only one console to boost your proton dmg , and the rest go fo fleet tactical with crt damage .
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    For Non-Intel/Surgical Strikes builds, Protonic Polaron weapons present some very bad dilemmas.

The idea of the proc is neat, but making it reliable enough is a different matter.

To make your Proton damage hit harder (Dyson Set "Proton Barrage" and Proton Dmg Proc) there are a few means of improving it, 1 being the Dyson TAC Consoles. But those TAC Consoles are bad compromises:
    - Half-assed buff to the basic damage type
    - Half-assed buff to Proton Dmg
    - Acc buff, not CritH or CritD

Compared to Spire TAC Consoles that give a far stronger basic damage type buff while providing a far more important CritH or CritD buff but does not buff Proton Dmg.

Increases to CritH is important because the Protonic Proc is based on a 25% chance to occur IF you Crit Hit. Stuffing Dyson TAC Consoles makes your Crit Hit more unreliable but have a stronger Proton Dmg when it does Proc. Stuffing Spire TAC Consoles makes your Crit Hit better but does not increase your Proton Dmg.

Also, theorizing here and have not put into practice:
    - Roms of course can achieve some insane Crit buffs due to Captain & BOFF Romulan Operative / Superior Romulan Operative Traits stacking. This would help mitigate the loss of Crit Hit by using Dyson TAC Consoles, but that's still a significant slap against Crit Hit.

- Intel Ships utilizing Surgical Strikes that have a very high +Acc and +CritH buff.

Some good things to think about, thanks!

And I could throw the set on my Phantom, but the only thing stopping me is the Heavy Phaser Lance. If I'm already rocking Proton & Protonic Polaron... then the Lance will not benefit from any added buffs from my TAC consoles (assuming the Lance gets a buff from TAC consoles).
    kerygan wrote: »
    dyson experimental proton weapon is very good even w/o a console to boost its dmg . I recomend to use the full set (good bonuses) , as for tac console use only one console to boost your proton dmg , and the rest go fo fleet tactical with crt damage .

The set bonuses are what is attracting me to the idea. :) Thanks! I know the set console adds Proton damage... just was curious if it was worth it to throw in the extra store console (even if it were just one, then go Locators for the rest).
  • Options
    penclrtistpenclrtist Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was thinking about doing the same thing, but some research has showed me it's limitations. You can get a decent build out of this (or any) weapon set, but you wont get top level performance out them. Sadly the protonic build suits other ships like the intel and romulan ships due to the higher CrtH as they mentioned previously. Use 2 pc Jem Hadar set for the polaron bonus and pretty much ignore boosting the proc as any boost to the proc will result in lower dps overall. If you go crazy with the CrtH consoles you can get the CrtH into the mid 20s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    penclrtist wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing the same thing, but some research has showed me it's limitations. You can get a decent build out of this (or any) weapon set, but you wont get top level performance out them. Sadly the protonic build suits other ships like the intel and romulan ships due to the higher CrtH as they mentioned previously. Use 2 pc Jem Hadar set for the polaron bonus and pretty much ignore boosting the proc as any boost to the proc will result in lower dps overall. If you go crazy with the CrtH consoles you can get the CrtH into the mid 20s

If he dosent boost the proton proc ... there is no point to use protonic polaron anymore , thoron infused polaron is much better, it has 3 modifiers not 2.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    If he dosent boost the proton proc ... there is no point to use protonic polaron anymore , thoron infused polaron is much better, it has 3 modifiers not 2.

Protonic Polaron was 'sketchy' to begin with. A good indicator of whether a build and weapon choice is good, is that you see them in orbit, and used in the queues.

In the rare chances you actually do get into a pug, how many are using protonic polaron or for that matter the dyson class destroyers? 1 in 20? 1 in 200? 1 in 2000?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    i love the dyson :P
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    thoron infused polaron

"Thoron Infused Polaron" offends me. :P

It offends me because it's gold-colored, and it refuses to use a hyphen. ;)
  • Options
    penclrtistpenclrtist Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2015

By boosting the CrtH you are boosting damage as well as the chance to proc, but not the proc itself. If you boost the proc itself (proton) you have to sacrifice some of the consoles that would otherwise boost your CrtH. ...and as for thoron, minor dot, minor debuff and a placate that's broken after x damage isn't going to help your dps any.

Link to 40k dps sarr theln drain build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Go vanilla polaron or phased polaron if you don't mind losing a modifier. Protonics blow and the thoron blow even more for PvE....well in general.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Only time I've used Thoron Infused Polarons is for the full Delta Weapon Set on my PGen/Exotic Dmg Builds.

Or if I like to shoot goolllllllllddd everywhere with no regard to effectiveness.

Other than those situations, I'd never willingly use Thorons.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mattack13mattack13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For me personally, the only way to go with a protonic polaron build is "all in".

That means yes to the experimental weapon and yes to the dyson engine-shield-et al full set. I use four of the hybrid pol/pro/acc boosting tac consoles. Don't underestimate how powerful your "proton barrage" will become when you do this. Also, the experimental weapon all but requires it to be effective.

Alternatively, you could blend the CritH spire consoles with the pol/pro/acc ones, either 1+3 or 2+2. But you will lose base damage from proton barrage, experimental proton weapon, and protonic procs.

Basically, you want to emphasize critH and Acc in any protonic build. The more acc the more hits you get, the more hits the more opportunities to crit, the more crits the more opportunity for proc. If you are a fed, replace your tac boffs with the blue quality male romulan boffs from the embassy- they have the superior operative trait, which boosts critH and CritD.

Other things to consider:

I know you are talking about a bug, but ships with ample offensive science slots can take advantage of the proton proc that many science abilities recieve from shield refrequencer consoles.

The Dyson Sci Destroyers also have that dual heavy protonic cannon- again, you want to slot at least three of the pol/pro/acc consoles to take full advantage. Even the free version of that ship (free T-5U upgrade as well) is viable in PvE and PvP.

I love playing a hybrid tac/sci role, so for me the Dyson ship is the perfect outlet and indeed the best ship for taking full advantage of everything that protonic polaron has to offer.

For other ships, don't be afraid to use those weird hybrid tac consoles, and imrpove your Acc and CritH by hook or by crook.

Good Luck!