test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Simple Ship Transition

Comments

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I want an Opt-Out feature for this feature.

Said the same thing in the Tribble feedback thread. After all the pain the loadout system has brought to the game I really don't see this one being useful, it'll just end up being more of a pain in the ar*e.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OK, having racked my brains for a while, and in the interests of strict fairness, I have thought of one specific instance where this might be of use.... replacing an existing ship with a fleet or other higher-tier version. (Like, I have one KDF toon using a Kar'fi, and might consider switching to a fleet Kar'fi when our KDF fleet gets a good enough shipyard.) Seems reasonable you'd want to keep the same basic layout when trading up like that.

But... it's one, very specific, case, and it really still seems a bit pointless having a whole new system to save half a minute's fiddling in that one case.

(No, I wouldn't use it for levelling up, I'd get tier-appropriate gear from the vendor or the Exchange or - these days - an alt toon with high R&D skill, and I'd equip that first, before readying a new ship.)

So... I stand by "pointless", and I remain concerned about possible unanticipated consequences. ("It worked just fine the one time I tried it on Tribble" fails to assuage my doubts in that respect.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wow this sounds like both a total waste of development man-hours, will probably work about as well as the loadout system (watch it glitch and 'help out' ever time you change maps), and will probably result in more than a few posts where it 'helps' people by binding intentionally-unbound stuff that someone was saving or meant to sell or something. Train wreck waiting to happen.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Switching ships will get a whole lot easier! In our continuing effort to work on quality-of-life improvements for Star Trek Online, we are adding a new system for simple ship transitions!

Check out our new Simple Ship Transition system coming soon!

~LaughingTrendy

I'll have one of those opt out features people are talking about please.

If people want it more power to them. I have no use for such a feature and this would be more of an obstacle and get in my way more than it would help. I don't want the game deciding to just move something from one of my ships to another be it the first time I use that ship or not. For someone such as myself, I'm the type of person who will ready a ship and take time planning my build out while i'm near my bank or an exchange. This will do nothing but be extra aggravation as I'll then have to move the stuff back to my previous ship that I had no intention of moving in the first place. It's annoying enough when something unequips such as a weapon, a device or even a bridge officer due to a bug, I don't need the game intentionally moving stuff on me. I did not ask for this feature nor do I want it. If you're bent on implementing it then make it an optional thing that pops up and asks if we want to move equipment. All you're going to do if you make this a mandatory thing is make alot of people angry.

If you really want to give us quality of life improvements, then fix the issues of bridge officer unseating, weapons unequipping, and loadouts from being messed up. This is something that should have been fixed years ago, and to be blunt, there is no legitimate reason that it hasn't yet. The only time I ever would use the same gear on a ship is if i'm leveling up, but after that it's completely useless to me. If people want this then hey more power to them, but leave me out of it.

Bridge officers going to the new system so you can train them in abilities outside your chosen career of tactical, science or enginerring, great idea. Loadouts, great idea once all the bugs are completely eliminated. This new thing, BAD idea.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Its like no-one read the blog. It only effects NEW ships, and the first time you switch to them.

Read the blog, I understand what you are saying. Watched it in action on tribble. I know, and verified that I can swap one item before readying the ship.

I still want an opt out in the options, just like I can disable the voice chat by clicking a toggle.

Don't like it, it doesn't save me time, and it thinks I want to pull gear from the last ship I flew, not the one that is most similar. Will take me longer to put stuff back than to start from scratch, and I know I'll forget at least once to swap something becore readying a new ship.

Just put a toggle on/off in settings and those who want it can have it, those who don't want it can go without it. I don't see why so many people think an "opt out" means "don't make this live".
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." camp on this one.

I see absolutely no use for this feature.
    None.

Please consider giving your players an "opt out" for this.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Also, for those saying it is because my hey can find a way to monetize the system: console port.

Just like neverwinter.
  • buzz0942buzz0942 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    one opt out feature, please.

this would be a real quality-of-life improvement (for the few still playing).
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sorry Cryptic, but I'd like to opt out of this feature as well. I prefer to manually set up my new ships to ensure I have the gear I want equipped.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    if you have a load out, or change any parts before hitting "ready ship" it won't change it.

And it is only triggered the first time a ship is used.

The thing is this.

I unbox a ship in Sector space. I want to equip it, so I use the change in space feature. My new ship comes with the gear I had on my old ship. If I remove it, it'll end up in the inventory, instead of back where I wanted this to be.

There is a workaround around this like you said, but I don't wish to be forced to use this workaround. This is a completely unnecessary change for me. So I am not against this, I'd just like to have an opt-out. Because although I will not deny other people to use this, I don't wish to use this.
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...And this is particuarly baffling. Cryptic isn't trying to run your life for you (which is how I see your general use of "knowing best") just because they're adding a set of prioritized equipment slotting that you can DECIDE to use or not. Its just a recommendation (you're not obligated to stick with it even if you do allow a simple transition) via a game system. Disagree? Do something else, equip your ship however you damn well like. Its there though [apparently] in the case that 1. you and the system happen to share some of the same priorities or 2. you don't have a set of priorities (ie. are new to the game) and a recommendation would be helpful.

This isn't worth complaining about. Don't want it? Don't use it. Not every feature added to the game has to have a universal application and using that as standard to vet this feature against is a particuarly self-centered attitude (useful to other people? Bah, I can't have that!)

Either Cryptic has yet to TRIBBLE you over or your naive that this new system won't cause more trouble than it's worth. Even if I don't want this system Cryptic has made it it's mission to affect players even if they didn't use it.

They've brought out other systems that still aren't working right so when you're crying about about how they've messed up your game I'll be sure to tell you to stop complaining and as a bonus say I told you so.
  • magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have never ever criticized the Cryptic dev team about anything in the years I've been playing this game. But this new feature is a complete waste of resources and development in my opinion. This doesn't improve the quality of life, it actually seems to make it worse.
    Joined August 2009
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    if it works as intended. and can you honestly think that will happen with the track record here?

Exactly. Even if we report the issues or even avoid using it, it wouldn't surprise me (given how the loadout system still isn't working properly and boffs layouts disappearing) that people who don't even touch it will be affected.

If Cryptic had a better track record with the game I'd not have a problem with all these new additions I could just choose not to use it as people suggest and if people enjoyed it, good for them or get used to things like the new icons, no big deal. Seriously, if they suddenly made a pvp revamp I'd not really care but give Cryptic credit for addressing something I know matters to a good proportion of the community.

But based on Cryptic's track record and current trend I'm entitled to my opinion until Cryptic gives me reason to change it. Those who think I'm just looking out for myself and whining I'm not getting what 'I' want seem to be missing the point entirely and it will take something to TRIBBLE their setup for them to see.
  • senselockesenselocke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Putting one piece of gear on before clicking the ready button is more work? I've never even clicked the ready button before all my gear is on the ship...

It only applies once. The first time you ready a ship. It simply copies the gear from your active ship, onto your new one. It won't "break" your existing ships.

Yes. It's more work, it's an extra step, and if you don't do it, it's a hell of a lot of unnecessary steps.

A much, MUCH more useful function would be a "strip all to inventory" button, or maybe an option to "move gear to new ship". Making it automatic is not an improvement or a help.
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Agreed.

It would help if a Dev (or Program Manager) could address why this is desired by the STO community. We haven't been vocal about wanting this "feature"; however, we have been vocal about various other in-game bugs which need to be addressed. Resources would have been better spent dealing with them AND talking with the STO community about it.

Want to add a new feature? Fix the Captain's Table.

Want to add a new feature? Add Bank. Exchange and Mail consoles to the KDF shipyard.

The list goes on and on...
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    PWE, please stop telling us HOW to play the game, and let us ENJOY the game the WAY WE WANT. It is sounding more like you are becoming a dictatorship over STO. Last time I checked, it's the players who are giving the money to pay your paychecks, so why haven't you guys fixed the bugs that has been there since day 1 instead of adding yet another thing that is not needing and completely useless.
  • odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, I wish they would fix the issues with the Loadout system as it is instead of trying to add something to it. I still get the problems where I switch to a ship and finding that its ability tray or equipped items have been completely erased or rearranged. It's infuriating when you have about eight different ships and switching between them becomes a chore and a half when you really need a different ship for a situation.

I'm still really loving this game where most people say that it's dying, but it REALLY needs to take some time away from adding new content to fix these big and small bugs that have been around for a long time. It's great, but it's really hard to appreciate the game when I keep running into problems that utterly prevent my from doing one thing or another.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Either Cryptic has yet to TRIBBLE you over or your naive that this new system won't cause more trouble than it's worth.

Third possibility: I tried out this system for myself on tribble and judged from experience that it isn't bad. Against all the pre-emptive complaints made here (really guys?) I even found ship transfers handy. Actual gametime resulting in an informed personal opinion.

You might disagree, but I invite you to try the system for yourself. If you still don't like it, you're welcome to your opinion but at that point its a matter of varying perspectives and there might be something to discuss from that.

Otherwise, do try to keep the spittle down while ranting. Its not appreciated.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Given how much the loadouts of the FOTM-ships we are forced to fly suck (Dyson-ship comes to mind) I doubt you are able to put half decent gear on my ships.

Edit: Honestly my fear is that the loadouts system gets even more broken than it already is. And yes this time this Dev time should have been allocated to fix that mess, as it's the same system that's being worked on.
  • takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is already possible, minus one step. The auto switch of equipment to a new ship. If I want the same equipment from 1 ship to be on another ship, all I have to do is equip the items on the new ship and make a new load-out. Now, every time I switch ships, the gear from the first ship will appear on the new ship and be usable. This "quality of life" feature seems like an unnecessary step you have created to help the newbs. Learning how a load-out functions (or suppose to function) is important for everyone.

If this is meant to benefit all as a "quality of life" feature, who wants the same equipment from one ship to be used by a different ship? I have different sets of equipment on each ship. Nukara on a tactical vessel, Romulan on a science vessel, or Undine on an engineer vessel are just some examples. No 2 ships use/swap the exact same items. It is kind of unnecessary, in my opinion.

I already spend 5-10 minutes resetting my ships after I swap to them because the current load-out feature is bugged. I hope this new addition will fix this problem.
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Personally i love this idea.

I use a lot of the same equipment across my ships.

Pretty sure Cryptic could attach this feature to a button though.

I would also like a Transfer Gear button so i can try one equipment on a different ship if they have similar slots.
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With how switching to ships already owned works now and with the loadout system STILL having problems, why even bother with this? You already redid the entire tutorial for new players and have tips on how to change their ships when they get a new one.

How about fixing the problems the game already has (without giving us 6-10 hour maintenances), along with finally doing something about PVP!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Pretty sure Cryptic could attach this feature to a button though.

What about a generalized loadout? IE. something you can save once, manage, and stamp across any ship you want? (using these same transfer mechanics.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Same here
    All I can see from this is a big headache... Please work on something else something better.
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    A low-hanging fruit as far as "quality of life" issues are concerned.

Please, don't do this. Spend your time, efforts, and money elsewhere to better effect.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Switching ships will get a whole lot easier! In our continuing effort to work on quality-of-life improvements for Star Trek Online, we are adding a new system for simple ship transitions!

Check out our new Simple Ship Transition system coming soon!

~LaughingTrendy

Is that even possible? Does Cryptic know what the phrase 'quality of life improvements' means?
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    "Quality-of-life improvements", that's funny. Get ready folks, the ability tray is gonna get porked again, for the foreseeable future.

Players might have to spend dilithium to unlock the new feature. I bet there is a twenty hour timegate.
  • arkangel11004arkangel11004 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Of Course. New players is what they care about. That's Great. Only it isn't. Only by-passable if you want to do something different from what you've been doing in the game. That's my only problem with this. I have read the whole Dev blog, as i do with almost all Dev blogs. It is fairly easily bypassed. However, the fact that we should have to bypass it is what is the problem. If a switch was implemented to disable the feature, we then wouldn't have to bypass. Or here's an idea, why not make it a button. When you switch to your new ship, give a selection box that says something to the extent of "Would You Like to Transfer equipment from your previous ship?" There would then be a "Transfer Gear" or "Cancel" Button. Simple as that. New players could click Transfer, and older players could click Cancel. Problem Solved. The problem here is when Cryptic comes up with something no one asked for, or that they didn't run by in a forum poll or something. Now there are things they come up with like story content, new ships, locations. That is realized and accepted, as that's part of the game. New UI/ Game features however, should be announced through polls and such, before the Devs start working on it. Dev's always announce something after their nearly done with it, or already have the concept laid out. Perhaps if Cryptic consulted the player-base before they started work on new features, they would spend less time working on things that the players may not want, and get less hate mail / comments about how they messed up. As I said before though, they seem to have a need to hide things from players until the last moment, as a surprise or whatever. This is great, and works well, in the case of missions, ships, story lines. Features need to be discussed however. I know that sounds like lots of Dev headache, but it would keep so much ranting off the forums, and a lot more players happy.
  • barimanforumsbarimanforums Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I find this a nice option. Bare in mind folks, we rarely (if ever) see or hear all the details involved for this type of thing until it is released. For all we know, this new feature may already have an "opt out" function. I'm not blaming anyone for asking for it. I'm just saying to not get too worked up for something we still know nothing about.
    Just like the arc isn't mandatory but if you need to reinstall sto you have to download arc which for me is soon to be just uninstalled for me lol. I've been a long time loyal player but the lack of content for 2014 and this TRIBBLE of DR and stuff I'm just not feeling sto anymore.

I feel your pain as far as the money grabbing mentality the game seems to have developed, but... no content for 2014? No, I must disagree. Give credit when credit is due. Delta rising definitely added content.