test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Simple Ship Transition

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Switching ships will get a whole lot easier! In our continuing effort to work on quality-of-life improvements for Star Trek Online, we are adding a new system for simple ship transitions!

Check out our new Simple Ship Transition system coming soon!

Update: Our new simple ship transition feature will be available to all players by default. For Captains who do not want to utilize this new feature, there will be an option to turn it off.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I want an Opt-Out feature for this feature.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    nxmikenxmike Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »

Same, this is worse then what we have now.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Opt-Out would be appreciated indeed. I'd rather construct my own build and completely discard all items that come with it, rather than the game deciding what I should do with a ship, completely messing up the loadouts of my other ships.

This is an unwanted feature for a non-existing problem.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Never even seen this feature being asked for. So it's probably something they are throwing in because they have found a way to monetize it.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would like an opt out please. :)
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    not a bad idea, I wont be using it until a new faction comes out but its a nice idea for new players.

Everyone saying they want an option to opt out should read the very short article more carefully. You can opt out a number of different ways, the easiest being to just install one console before readying your new ship. Just dont set the new ship as your current until you have it set up how you want.
    edited January 2015
    Great time saving feature, but you should get to select the ship it takes gear from (or opt out), rather than using the currently active one.

Everyone needs to think about the potential here. If you use a ship anything like the one you're setting up, this will move your weapons, space set, and consoles over at once. Chances are it'll be fewer clicks to update it from there than to put everything on it in the first place.
  • Options
    sotsogmsotsogm Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm also hoping there will be an opt-out for this. One of the things I like to do with different ships is to outfit them with different gear, so I don't want the gear on Ship A going over to Ship B because Ship B is going to have a completely different layout. And I don't want to have to reconfigure Ship A to get it back to how I liked it, so there's that; especially since redoing Ship A's gear seems like it might mean redoing your controls if there are active powers from sets or whatever. (And I can see that interacting in a rare but nasty way with that intermittent bug where sometimes the Bridge Officers all abandon their posts and go to the cafeteria (this is what I imagine happens, at least) for a snack while you're switching maps.)

This basically sounds like a way to completely mess up existing ship layouts and perhaps wreck my inventory for a feature I don't want. I can see where some people might like it (I guess), but in that case it would be super-nice for those of us who think it sounds awful to turn it off. Please let us turn it off. Pretty please. That would be keen.

Otherwise, I see myself being very sad whenever I get a new ship. I'm not supposed to be sad about that, am I?
  • Options
    gilineagilinea Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My feedback: I want a simple, *functional* and account wide option to disable this feature. I don't want it, I didn't ask for it. And given the history of anything related to ship switching and loadouts, I'm fairly certain that it will NOT work as intended. Frankly, I spend enough time fixing my ships already, due to the lovely feature where they'll randomly unequip gear and officers for no obvious reason at randomly chosen times when I change zones.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Just like the arc isn't mandatory but if you need to reinstall sto you have to download arc which for me is soon to be just uninstalled for me lol. I've been a long time loyal player but the lack of content for 2014 and this TRIBBLE of DR and stuff I'm just not feeling sto anymore.
    Never even seen this feature being asked for. So it's probably something they are throwing in because they have found a way to monetize it.

Yeah its kind of like the silver and gold membership they will put in something with this and make sure its buggy and glitchy so people will pay with money or time to get it off their accounts lol. This thing sounds and is more like an annoyance than a feature.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So how does it decide what to leave out when the loadouts aren't compatible? If the old ship had 4 different sci consoles, and the new one has two sci slots? Mapped 1:1 from the right, I assume?

This seems like it's not going to save a lot of time, to be honest. Each ship is different enough that I don't usually do a 1:1 map between them. Maybe for levelling up as you get new ships, but after that it seems like a waste.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Give us opt out our better yet not add it as already I see a wall of 'opt out please'.

When such a clear message is being sent out for something which in all fairness I don't see anyone asking for that to me is good enough reason to either add an opt out or simply not add it in the first place.
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You can opt out!

Just equip your ship BEFORE YOU READY IT!

Did you accidentally forget and ready the ship? Just ready the last ship you had and all the gear will move back.

This is there for the new players to make transitioning up the tiers easier. Why must people complain about something so simple to ignore?
  • Options
    lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I used to think they had better things to spend their time on, yet here we are. Please, opt-out option.

My main issue with the loadout system is that the implementation is a halfway mess that causes chaos, even when it works as intended and isn't buggy.

If we had 'unlocks' or all the gear/weapons were stored in a library of some sort, and we'd just pick and choose what fills a slot, then I would have welcomed the loadout system with open arms. Unfortunately, the gear is a sellable object, and creating shortcuts to those objects is problematic and confusing.

If you've ever had to explain this to new or returning players or walk them through it, you'll know how fun it is. I'm not even getting into some of the other mechanics like skills or reputations.
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As an established player I do not acquire ships in order to use them in the same way as existing ships. I have different ships for different roles and use different gear to accomplish my goals in them.

If I were leveling an alt, or a new player this system would be of moderately more use to me and so long as this didn't take any one more then 15 minutes or so to develop I do not begrudge the new players that development time, but if this system took more then half of some ones work day I have to ask, was this really a worthy application of resources?

All that really needed to be done to smooth the transition from one ship to another was the removal of the junk items that come pre-equipped on them. Aside from being inferior to anything a player already has they need to be individually deleted which is a chore.

The process of equipping the new ship isn't troublesome at all as is and did not really need improment.
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nxmike wrote: »
    Same, this is worse then what we have now.

How so? please explain and have a valid reason not just becuase you do not like the idea.
  • Options
    skyecolyoskyecolyo Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's useless. Can it. Loadout optimization is unique ship to ship, and the only real pain in the TRIBBLE when dealing with a new ship is getting rid of the Mk X TRIBBLE that comes on it, which this proposed feature does nothing to remedy.

The current system where you can equip any banked items to a certain slot while on a homeworld station was an excellent addition, and the only quality of life improvement that was necessary in this area.

If anything, add the ability to drag items equipped to a ship in the ship selection screen directly to the replicator button to quickly recycle it, so we can cleanly remove the Mk Xs without making a mess of our inventory before setting up the new ship loadout.
  • Options
    trop101xtrop101x Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Great time saving feature, but you should get to select the ship it takes gear from (or opt out), rather than using the currently active one.

Everyone needs to think about the potential here. If you use a ship anything like the one you're setting up, this will move your weapons, space set, and consoles over at once. Chances are it'll be fewer clicks to update it from there than to put everything on it in the first place.

First time poster, long time reader. I agree with this poster. IN theory, it would allow fewer clicks to move stuff over from previous ship to the new one, however as highlighted also, what happens if you do not want the load outs moved from one ship you were using to the new one?

Are you to switch to a simple shuttle then go ahead and then purchase the new ship?

It sounds like a useful feature but I think it will also cause unwanted headaches and issues if no opt-out is added. A simple pop-up asking you if you want to load it out with previous ship load outs or not; would be the best of both worlds imo.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How so? please explain and have a valid reason not just becuase you do not like the idea.

Yes, this. Please. I want a rational explanation of how this feature is worse than nothing. I went in thinking this feature would be worthless, I now see the potential because of how it works.

Educate me -- what makes manually copying gear from one ship to another preferable to this system existing? Baring in mind that you do not have to use it.
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Would like this to be optional too would prefer a Strip all consoles to inventory button.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Make it so. This is an interesting idea that would work provided you take into account players who don't want or need it.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I have to agree, this sounds like a really bad idea. And tying it into the already broken loadouts system certainly won't make it any better.

The last thing I want is to be on my lvl 50+ characters, use a new ship and have all my gear moved from the old ship to the new, just so I can move it right back and put the gear on the new ship that I want. Oh, sure, I can just switch back to my old ship and supposedly the gear will be there, but, sheesh.

1 step forward, 2 dozen steps back.

/pass

And actually, now that I think about it, even while leveling, why would I want to keep OLD gear on my new ship? When I hit a new level, it's not just a new ship I'm after, it's new gear. As it stands now, I can just get my new ship and leave the old gear on the old ship there and never have to worry about it again. So what in the world are the Devs thinking even considering, let alone implementing, such a useless system?

There are so many things that could be added, fixed or adjusted but instead time was spent on THIS?

Wow, just... wow. :confused:
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I am thinking about the potential here. I'm thinking about the potential for it to make it a nightmare every time I actually do get a new ship, since it'll break my current ship by moving gear I didn't want moved. Even if the ship is the same overall type, I almost never use exactly the same weapons loadout from ship to ship - my Galaxy Retrofit uses beams and torpedos, but my Galaxy X swaps some of the beams for cannons and turrets, and a different type of torpedos. This system would be *more* work for nearly every ship I'd want to own, since now I'll have to fix *both* of them.

*Edit* Simply put, I don't want the system to *ever* try to decide for me what would be "best" on a new ship. I can pretty much promise that whatever it decides will be wrong, and I'd rather not have yet *another* system that I have to fight with when it breaks and starts changing stuff it isn't supposed to.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This could be nice for leveling, but what if the gear on the new ship is better than what you had on the old one? (Old ship had blue phaser IV and a white torp II, new ship has white Phaser and torp IV. Would it be smart enough to move the phaser but not the torpedo?)
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gilinea wrote: »
    I am thinking about the potential here. I'm thinking about the potential for it to make it a nightmare every time I actually do get a new ship, since it'll break my current ship by moving gear I didn't want moved. Even if the ship is the same overall type, I almost never use exactly the same weapons loadout from ship to ship - my Galaxy Retrofit uses beams and torpedos, but my Galaxy X swaps some of the beams for cannons and turrets, and a different type of torpedos. This system would be *more* work for nearly every ship I'd want to own, since now I'll have to fix *both* of them.

Don't ready the ship before you move gear to it...

Seriously, a little reading goes a long way, people.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This sounds like a great move -- in theory!

If it works properly, this could save a lot of time whilst levelling and I like that there's a method for us to opt out already by equipping an item or two.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Er... Opt out for me too.

I foresee problems with this feature as bad as those experienced for the loadouts. No faith in this at all. No need for it either. Useless.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gilinea wrote: »

That's not going to be a problem, because it only happens the first time you use a ship. It's not a super useful feature for end game play, but it's not as bad as you are leaping to. The equipment remains shadowed on the old ship, so going back is as simple as making the old one active again, just like it is now. That's all pretty clear in the post, go back and read it again.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Don't ready the ship before you move gear to it...

Seriously, a little reading goes a long way, people.

I did read it. The new system would still mean that I have to do MORE to keep it from breaking my ships. I want the ability to turn it OFF.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    racerexia wrote: »
    Er... Opt out for me too.

I foresee problems with this feature as bad as those experienced for the loadouts. No faith in this at all. No need for it either. Useless.

Yeah just imagine because the current loadout system thats been out since like spring of last year or summer is still broken lol. So we need this new system that will be broken as well to be used for monetary purporses so once they see money isn't being made off that they will come up with another broken system to push out there.