test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gambling Ships Account Consideration

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Specifically those earned via the Lock Boxes and Lobi Store. I know this has been brought up before, but I don't recall it having being mentioned recently at all, so I thought it okay to bring it up again, with [what I believe to be] a fair compromise.

If we presently exclude the lock boxed ships and focus on the lobi ships - these ships are purchased with lobi, which by definition is account bound, yet the ships are not, and they're hardly cheap. Based on percentage, it's probably more affordable to open Lock Boxes with the intent to acquire enough lobi and purchase a ship from the Crystal Consortium than it would be to pay the fees on master keys, thus by definition the ships from the lobi store are cheaper, and more practical if said player is on a budget.

One thing I have always felt to be wrong with this system (that is, the whole lock box system) is that players have to unlock any given ship a second (or more) time on other characters when - in my opinion - they've already won the lottery.

T5R Zen ships cost (on average) 2500zen, and they are then account-wide unlocks. The same goes for T6 (but obviously at 3000zen). I wouldn't like to think about how much Zen the average player would spend to get their hands on a Lock Box ship. Suffice to say, with regard to the account basis - how about a compromise?

If any given player has any of the Lock Box ships already on a character, why not then offer that ship to them (again) by means of the C-Store? Treat it like it was a new release (so full price; 2500/3000zen) but allow them to purchase what they already have earned.

I know this still wont sit well with some people - cause you've already paid for the ship(s) in question - but I'm trying to meet Cryptic in the middle here, and for your benefit. This is a selfless post - I don't own, nor will I ever own a Lock Box ship (I prefer to play with faction ships and, in the case of my Republic character, the Breen ones). I have no interest in Lock Box/Lobi ships myself, though this is a compromise (potential) for you.
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I certainly would like to see some kind of account unlock or account discount for these.

But aside from the "money-grubbing" and "we haven't gotten around to do something about it yet" options for explaining Cryptic's implementation of this, it could be part of the CBS provision for such "rare" ships as player ships. If you could unlock them easily on every account, then every of your characters could have them - which makes it a lot less rare than if only one of the multiple chars you might play over time.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    T5R Zen ships cost (on average) 2500zen, and they are then account-wide unlocks. The same goes for T6 (but obviously at 3000zen). I wouldn't like to think about how much Zen the average player would spend to get their hands on a Lock Box ship. Suffice to say, with regard to the account basis - how about a compromise?

If any given player has any of the Lock Box ships already on a character, why not then offer that ship to them (again) by means of the C-Store? Treat it like it was a new release (so full price; 2500/3000zen) but allow them to purchase what they already have earned.

Now this would require the approval of CBS Studios, who have already said 'NO' to the wide availability of Alien Ships, which is why they are Lockbox and Lobi Store ships to begin with... So this is unlikely to happen...
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Isnt this already in the FCT thread? That may be why it hasn't been mentioned in a while. If it is not, then it should be.

EDIT - I stand corrected. It is NOT in the FCT but it probably should be added.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Now this would require the approval of CBS Studios, who have already said 'NO' to the wide availability of Alien Ships, which is why they are Lockbox and Lobi Store ships to begin with... So this is unlikely to happen...

A casual look at your team in queues or sector space might reveal that there are tons of "inappropriate" ships flying around. By now everyone who ever wanted one of those ships has one.

The CBS thing is a hoax, I believe it's about money and nothing else. Unless you also believe that they removed Exploration because of the download size of the game, instad of removing an easy crafting mats farm location. ;)
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    qjunior wrote: »
    A casual look at your team in queues or sector space might reveal that there are tons of "inappropriate" ships flying around. By now everyone who ever wanted one of those ships has one.

The CBS thing is a hoax, I believe it's about money and nothing else. Unless you also believe that they removed Exploration because of the download size of the game, instad of removing an easy crafting mats farm location. ;)

If there are this many 'Alien Ships' without widespread Z-Store availability, how much worse would it be if this was so? (Though Cryptic probably doesn't care about this, just as long as they follow 'the letter of the law' of the CBS decision...)

'Green' and 'Blue' crafting materials are readily available from Doff scan assignments, even without exploration. You also forgot to mention that the Exploration random mission generation never really worked well, with obvious plot holes (e.g. the Borg seeking political influence ?!?!) and Away-Team members dropping through holes in the map, becoming trapped and unusable...
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's already a reclaim area, why not allow alt's to "reclaim" the ship for a small fee of say 500z rather than a full price ship (lobi or lockbox, you've spent a lot getting it in the first place).

The reclaimed ships would be character bind on pickup too, making them unsellable, unlike their lockbox equivalent's.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would support this idea; I'd love to be able to unlock the Elachi trio, Voth trio, the Lobi Dyson, and Tal Shiar ships for all my alts. The Event/Holiday ships can remain exclusive to their event zones.

Not only would this provide the players with more choices and make the game gradually more alt-friendly, but it would not change the Exchange value any; since many would still need to buy one of the ships to unlock it for their account, and in Cryptic's favor, some might prefer to still gamble on Lockboxes for the Lobi and ships instead.

Additionally, this does help the players with maxed out Ship slots; it would allow them to retire some of the otherwise rare ships they own and reclaim them later; provided they did buy the C-Store version to claim again as-needed.

It's easy money too for Cryptic; full price of an Account Unlock for 1 ship + however much Zen it took to obtain the other ships (125/Key X however many times it took for a Lockbox or Lobi ship, or however many Promotions it took to get a Sheshar/JHAS/Bulwark). Hell, if they still think they won't make a profit off those, they could bump the cost of the C-Store T5 versions to be 3000 even (taking into account that they can be upgraded to T5-U).
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Now this would require the approval of CBS Studios, who have already said 'NO' to the wide availability of Alien Ships ...

Woot? :eek: So, that's why everyone gets to fly Breen ships for free then?
    I guess, there is some false information out there.
  • Options
    cromarty1cromarty1 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    Specifically those earned via the Lock Boxes and Lobi Store. I know this has been brought up before, but I don't recall it having being mentioned recently at all, so I thought it okay to bring it up again, with [what I believe to be] a fair compromise.

If we presently exclude the lock boxed ships and focus on the lobi ships - these ships are purchased with lobi, which by definition is account bound, yet the ships are not, and they're hardly cheap. Based on percentage, it's probably more affordable to open Lock Boxes with the intent to acquire enough lobi and purchase a ship from the Crystal Consortium than it would be to pay the fees on master keys, thus by definition the ships from the lobi store are cheaper, and more practical if said player is on a budget.

One thing I have always felt to be wrong with this system (that is, the whole lock box system) is that players have to unlock any given ship a second (or more) time on other characters when - in my opinion - they've already won the lottery.

I know this still wont sit well with some people - cause you've already paid for the ship(s) in question - but I'm trying to meet Cryptic in the middle here, and for your benefit. This is a selfless post - I don't own, nor will I ever own a Lock Box ship (I prefer to play with faction ships and, in the case of my Republic character, the Breen ones). I have no interest in Lock Box/Lobi ships myself, though this is a compromise (potential) for you.

thay should just add the ships to lobi store aply chances to get other things higher and dubble the max lobi reward that's it make things only purchasable once per toon to make thare money back some and not be waisting the players as that must cause rage quiting
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Isnt this already in the FCT thread? That may be why it hasn't been mentioned in a while. If it is not, then it should be.

EDIT - I stand corrected. It is NOT in the FCT but it probably should be added.

they should just make all boxh/lobi ships accwhide and every1s cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was going to go for a walk but CBS vetoed it.

Seriously, how many "CBS vetoed...." urban legends are out there?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!