test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Safe to upgrade Romulan rep space weapons (plasma)?

dweezemandweezeman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I'm a casual LTS player who took a break when DR launched and have a question that I hope someone can answer.

I'm not in a fleet and therefore rely on reputation vendors for weapons and gear. My ships mostly use Romulan plasma (beams and DHC as appropriate to the ship) and various deflector/engine/shield combos. I've recently started to level one of my captains (fed ENG in Odyssey) and I have hesitated to start upgrading my gear; for example my beam arrays. This ship is equipped with purple mk12 plasma beam arrays purchased from the romulan rep store. Across all of my captains I have all R&D schools leveled to 15 but not beyond (each captain has leveled one school to 15).

Is it safe to start upgrading my beam arrays and space sets (engine/deflector/shield)? I'm not necessarily looking for rarity upgrades, I just want to know that I can expect to get my mk12 purple gear to mk14 purple gear without suffering any loss of mods or rarity etc.? I've seen enough posts about upgrades going wonky that I thought I'd ask before dedicating any time, dilithium, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice !
Post edited by dweezeman on

Comments

• ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    dweezeman wrote: »
    Is it safe to start upgrading my beam arrays and space sets (engine/deflector/shield)?
    yes it is safe
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rom plasma is safe to upgrade. I have a set of Rom beams and experimental beam upgraded.

I'd recommend getting the ones that offer 40% crit severity for pve use.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • dweezemandweezeman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the responses !

I'll get busy making upgrade kits and applying them to my gear.
    edited January 2015
    Well fooey.

I spent 8K dil and almost 20k EC to get one beam array from mk12 to mk13. Going from mk13 to mk14 will be twice as expensive (actually moreso since I used some purple upgrade kits I got for free somewhere). Multiplying that across 8 beam arrays, yeesh.

So for me at least making blue upgrade kits and using them to upgrade my weapons etc. is a non-starter. Someone wake me up when upgrading your own gear becomes more reasonable.
  • ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Across all of my captains I have all R&D schools leveled to 15 but not beyond (each captain has leveled one school to 15).
    I spent 8K dil and almost 20k EC to get one beam array from mk12 to mk13.

So for me at least making blue upgrade kits and using them to upgrade my weapons etc. is a non-starter. Someone wake me up when upgrading your own gear becomes more reasonable.

There is absolutely no reason why you should be using anything other than Superior Upgrades.
    Read through the first 6 posts of Everything you need to know about R&D Crafting and Upgrading. And make sure you take a look at Mighty_BoB_cnc's sheet to get a better understanding of your resource commitment.
    edited January 2015
    Thanks again for the responses.

I'll read through the thread mentioned and look across to my various captains to see if I have the purple mats (radiogenic particle) needed to make the superior/purple upgrade kits. The captain that has done some upgrades already only has the mats to make blue upgrade kits.

I like the idea of upgrading my damage consoles only and will consider that as well.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Radiogenic particles are obtained from CCA, which is surprisingly easy if you focus on tanking the Tholians while shooting the Entity.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    in my opinion.
    no. none. especially with no control over the mods they gain

upgrade the consoles.
    a ship with 4 mk14 vr consoles and common mk12 weapons will do the same dps as a ship full of epic weapons and mk12r consoles for half teh resources and no risk of dud mods.

I suspect that this is false, especially where CrtD and CrtH are concerned.
    And now that Mk XIII and Mk XIV weapons are doing so much more damage...

Prove it with real data, not some anecdote, please.