test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More Updates to Rewards and PvE Queue Difficulty

Comments

• eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, the XP from an elite kill goes from 200 to 250%.. So, a 1/5 increase.. sorry to said this, but that is a bad joke.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eltatus wrote: »
    So, the XP from an elite kill goes from 200 to 250%.. So, a 1/5 increase.. sorry to said this, but that is a bad joke.

Gah..I thought it said increasing by 200 to 250%..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for trying to address these, especially mine trap. I second the request that counters to the hold/confuse get looked at, and I do hope people start playing that one again.

Also, thanks for the math section that was a good read.

I'm skeptical but hopeful about these changes.

Also, glad to see things/coming slowly and from multiple directions (buff to weapons, changes to rewards, etc) rather than single sweeping changes.
    edited January 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Gah..I thought it said increasing by 200 to 250%..

It saids:
    from 200% to 250%.

So, like I said, a 1/5 increase from the very lame actual XP.. so again, bad and terrible joke.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    why are there so many dev names missing from the dev tracker?
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015

200% to 250% is a 25% gain, not a 20% gain. 125% to 150% is a 20% gain.

Course, that's an incremental gain taking into account the initial 100%.

If we just take a look at the bonus amount..

100% to 150% is a 50% gain, not a 20% gain. 25% to 50% is a 100%.

So one could say...

They'll be earning 25% more XP from Elites because they multiplied the bonus by 1.5...
    They'll be earning 20% more XP from Advanced because they multiplied the bonus by 2.0...

So would it be a case you feel the base rewards themselves are too low?
    why are there so many dev names missing from the dev tracker?

There was a hiccup yesterday when warpdustdev posted...and it killed the Dev Tracker. No more page 2+ and it's not showing all the dev posts. :(
    Q wrote: »
    That was a temp problem related to an issue with his WarpDust's account. It has now been fixed, but it did cause the Dev Tracker to hiccup briefly.

It should be fixed properly now.
    edited January 2015
    So would it be a case you feel the base rewards themselves are too low?

If you consider the HP of the NPCs on elite and the fact that we have to grind 140.000 XP to from 59 to 60, the increase is a joke, and a really.. REALLY bad one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, how do these new XP values for each queue type compare to a run of Argala?
  • fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    NWS is one of the few queues that actualy pop once in awhile and ur removing it now??? Im starting to see why so many people are not happy with the current direction.
    edited January 2015
    If you consider the HP of the NPCs on elite and the fact that we have to grind 140.000 XP to from 59 to 60, the increase is a joke, and a really.. REALLY bad one.

Hrmm, would take around 36 - 40 minutes to do that...via Gerren...if one could stomach doing it 24-25 times in a row.

Which gets into those DQ Patrol Completed Rewards vs. replaying anything else. A 90s Gerren is worth more than twice a replay of Coliseum. They really should bump up the other content...
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hrmm, would take around 36 - 40 minutes to do that...via Gerren...if one could stomach doing it 24-25 times in a row.

Which gets into those DQ Patrol Completed Rewards vs. replaying anything else. A 90s Gerren is worth more than twice a replay of Coliseum. They really should bump up the other content...

I feel the same way about the Undine Battlezone. Sure, it takes a long time to get anywhere, but when it's just repetitive content, at least I don't have to keep zoning in and out.

They should increase the XP from that too... even though it's only level 50 content.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited January 2015

36 minutes to go from 59 to 60 doing elite patrols? Sure, maybe if you have a tact cap with a fully equiped lvl MK XIV stuff and intel ship doing noobFAW and like you said, you have the stomach to do it 30 times...

Like I said, the XP increase is a bad joke made so some navie players can celebrate that the devs hear their feedback. I bet that the 90% of the player base that dont even reed the patchs notes are not even going to notice the increase.

Just an anecdote: When I inform my fleet mates (most of them play Warthunder after DR) about the increase (with the hope to make them came back, so I just give them the numbers) all began to laugh and then went back to WT.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    damix4 wrote: »
    I really like Mine Trap so hope this will bring it to life.

9th January Tribble patch notes mention “Nukara Prime: Self Destruction” as the one that is being changed. That one never starts, while Transdimensional Tactics has a lot of people in queue.

Spot on. They should start from the most dead queues upwards.
  • michael9901michael9901 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    what a load of TRIBBLE concerning No Win... you took it away because it was a easy score for Fleet Marks, always making it a grind game. What did you think was going to happen when we hit LVL 60.. Play the advance or Elite version?
    Btw the whole fleet mrk's are worthless now.. Personally I am sitting on 20k with nothing to dump them into.. lol
    edited January 2015
    36 minutes to go from 59 to 60 doing elite patrols? Sure, maybe if you have a tact cap with a fully equiped lvl MK XIV stuff and intel ship doing noobFAW and like you said, you have the stomach to do it 30 times...

Elite Patrol? That's Gerren on normal. The first two of five waves of ships are usually dead before I've hit my spacebar. Remember, the DQ patrols reward the same completion XP regardless of difficulty. If you bump an Argala up to Elite, it might take you three times or longer to complete it because of the HP of the mobs. For which you were getting 200% the NPC XP but the same completion XP. So you could run three times at Normal, getting half the NPC XP but three times the completion XP.

Okay, here, let me do an example. I'll do three runs of Argala.

Normal: 5200 (Completion) + 5020 (NPC) = 10220; 235 seconds to run, ~43.5/s
    Advanced: 5200 (Completion) + 5700 (NPC) = 10900; 434 seconds to run, ~25.1/s
    Elite: 5200 (Completion) + 11033 (NPC) = 16233; 1182 seconds to run, ~13.7/s

Should note, er, I was getting bored on the Elite one (that was almost 20 minutes) so I kicked things up a notch.

Normal: 14.3k DPS
    Advanced: 14.9k DPS
    Elite: 22.6k DPS

So the Elite should have actually been worse, but I was getting bored and needed a smoke (had forgotten just how long it took me to do that on Elite). Just a Sci in a Sarr Theln, not Tac or anything like that.

So the Advanced took near twice as long, so I could have probably run two Normal in the same time...meaning 20440 instead of 10900. I could have run around five Normal in the same time as the Elite...meaning 51100 instead of 16233.

Who is running Elite Patrols? Maybe if they're those Tac Demigods you were talking about that obliterate them in no time...heh, me not so much.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is this thread to suggest upping the normal and advanced rewards to 480 and 960? Because that should happen
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Taking away content is a very bad idea. NWS is a challenge and needs teamplay. PLEASE, do not remove it!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So the update is remove one of the faction only queues no one uses and wall of text business as usual like someone said in a post right after DR launched they will do something that gives you half a level more and say they did something generous and/or super kind of them to do lol. So in the end they are saying just give us money we don't care if it works or not just pay up rofl. I mean tbh if this is the case why don't you just release lockboxes with nothing in them it would be relatively the same thing.
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2015
    Reading the blog I understand this : " We are buffing bosses all over the game you will have to upgrade your weapons if you want to finish that missions.After you do that there will be more grind and less fun as it was until now"

Well after last XP nerf I stopped leveling my alts.

Now I will stop playing STF's on my main where bosses will became huge hit point bags.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So how much XP do you get for...let's say "Infected Space(Adv)" or for "Infected Ground(Adv)"?

This stupid, brainless "Argala" grind has to end.
    People would rather do queue missions, but those aren't giving enough XP right now, compared to Argala.
    I don't know if that XP boost is enough, to keep players away from Argala and encourage them to play the queues.

Correct me pls if i'm wrong.
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So how much XP do you get for...let's say "Infected Space(Adv)" or for "Infected Ground(Adv)"?

This stupid, brainless "Argala" grind has to end.
    People would rather do queue missions, but those aren't giving enough XP right now, compared to Argala.
    I don't know if that XP boost is enough, to keep players away from Argala and encourage them to play the queues.

Correct me pls if i'm wrong.

Concur on all fronts.

I mean, logic would assume that Group Content should be more rewarding (per person), than Solo Content. That is not currently the case, at least in terms of XP (Skill Points).

In fact, with the revamped queues (Normal, Advanced, Elite), they now match the long-existing per-user "Difficulty selection". A Normal "Infected" Run, should reward the same amount of completion XP as a Normal "Argala" Run. Individual Mob XP might be different from Group Content to Solo Content, as Groups tend to share "XP gain" in most MMOs. But the COMPLETION of a queued event is still an individual reward, and should be treated equally (or greater) compared to Solo content. Simple fact.

Cryptic, if you want the Metrics on why people aren't queueing up for PVE Queues anymore? BUFF REWARDS!
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    180 STFs is sure a lot of grind, if you try to do them all in less than a week. if you do 6 STFs a day, you'll have the tree done by a month. I agree that the xp earned in a mission is very low but 75k per run is way too high aswell. At that rate many players would complete the tree in a week and since many queues are quick, it would be possible to get 3 - 4 points per hour that way.
    STF (currently) award around 2K xp (kill and mission xp). We need 150k xp (roughly, it's a bit more) for a spec point.
    6stf a day X 2K xp X 30days = 360K xp. That's 2 spec point. Somehow, I don't think that's enough to complete a single tree. In fact, you need 12 mil xp total.

With the current xp rate, a lvl 60 doing 6 stf a day (which is a LOT btw), and to complete all trees, including the command one, you'll need 3,3 months. However, 6stf a day would take you a lot of time, and I don't think a lot of people are doing that much stf per day, every day, especially considering the state of the queues.
    Just as a reminder, that's 6000stf. That's what you currently need.

Now, with Argala, you need 1500 patrols. That's much less, obviously, but that's still an incredible amount of grind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the npc xp rewards are by no way compensating the extremely low xp rewards for PVEs in general

going from 125% to 150% in adv. PVEs (pretty much all STFs) which take ages unless you go in with a high dps team

in that time somebody could play a patrol mission 3-4 times and easily get 800% of the PVE xp rewards
    such changes solve nothing

as long there is such a huge xp reward difference between patrols and PVEs/story missions the players will stick with the patrols (which are the only way in this game to get the bigger and bigger growing spec tree done)

really... why should a player spend 15-20 mins for a PVE or a story mission replay when there are lousy 2000xp as base reward and actually not much more xp for killing npcs?

It is nice that you want to increase the ncps xp rewards for adv. or elite missions.
    But really? 25%-50% (from the base xp) more depending on difficulty?
    I dont know if you as developer have played the missions on the various difficulty scales to see how much longer they take when you go from normal to elite.
    The additional time it takes clearly can not be compensated by this tiny npc xp reward boost that you want to introduce.

You also need to keep in mind that the PVE problem is not only related to adv. and elite missions.
    Normal difficulty missions are also completely empty. For the fact that the rewards in no way fit to the amount of time that a player has to spend for these mission.

As developer your priority should be to make normal difficulty missions worth to be played again so new players (which can not play adv. or elite missions) have at least a reason to spend time there and get their first halfway good rewards so they can make progress in the game.

It makes absolutely no sense to focus on end game content if the players which start to play this game now dont even get the chance to reach this end game part.
    You will lose these players just because of the lousy base rewards for the missions. That is the main problem with the PVEs and also the main problem with the Story episodes.

You guys are introducing more and more endgame stuff with the spec points.
    Another 30 with the command tree... but you totally forget that players need to be able to reach that part of the game.
    You wonder why specific parts of the game are not used by the players anymore.... guess what... the reason for that is the lack of rewards.

The part about the No win Scenario is something that i btw. did not understand.
    Is it too easy now?
    If so... how comes that since the introduction of Delta Rising I have not seen players in that queue and also have since that day not seen a single announcement "player xyz has beaten wave x of the no win scenario"?
    Sorry... i dont get that part.
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Just an anecdote: When I inform my fleet mates (most of them play Warthunder after DR) about the increase (with the hope to make them came back, so I just give them the numbers) all began to laugh and then went back to WT.

Most of my fleeties ( especially the old-timers ) are playing WT too, after DR ... a few friends don't log in anymore ... tell me : has there been in STO's history a time worse than this one? I can't know since i am relatively young to this game ... just to know if this game will survive ... for a little while.
    P58WJe7.jpg

• swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    small example on how xp rewards dont fit and why ppl prefer to play patrols and not any of the other content:

a few weeks ago a fleet mate asked for help with a DR story mission (at this point i didnt know he was playing the mission on elite difficulty)
    However, me and another fleet member joined the mission to help.
    Despite the fact that my fleet mates usually do about 10k dps and I have +20k dps this nice space mission took about 40 minutes to complete because of countless waves of overpowered NPCs.

40mins for an elite story mission (yeah i guess story missions are not topic of this thread but it serves very well the main problematic with xp rewards and the game content)

if I had done argala patrol 10 times in these 40mins instead (which clearly is possible) then i had earned +100.000 xp
    Do you think the xp rewards for helping my fleet mates in these 40mins were even close to these 100k xp?
    clearly not the xp rewards were lousy and raising the elite npc kill xp a bit would have made nearly no difference.

it is also sad to see that in many cases teaming up with other players seems to reduce the xp rewards. In this online game players practically get punished for playing together with others.

For the PVEs the situation is not much better than for the story missions.
    The announced changes will not improve the situation with the PVEs.
    It does not matter if an Adv. PVE rewards 4000 xp in total or 4500 xp after you applied your npc xp boost.
    Fact is and remains that the PVEs still take 2-4 times longer and reward 50% less than a patrol mission.

These announced changes will not change what players think about the XP rewards on PVEs.
    That will not make players to change their minds and all of a sudden start to play PVEs again.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Please revisit the XP increase.

As suggested by the "Math", Elite HP modifier is 3. XP modifier needs to be at least 300% to match, but I honestly think that NPCs that are harder to kill need to reward more than its linear difficulty progression suggests. Enemies alive for longer also increase threat: the longer they live, the better are the chances that you will be defeated. Higher risk should give higher reward.

I honestly would make it this way, more or less:

Normal: 1 HP mod, 100% XP mod
    Advanced: 2 HP mod, 250% XP mod
    Elite: 3 HP mod, 400% XP mod

Thanks for listening.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Could you explain to us the logic behind queue missions (which are still mostly challenging on Advanced) being so vastly inferior to patrol missions (which most people can probably sleepwalk through) for awarding experience points?

Please.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    While the major NPC health change makes more sense according to the intended rules of the game I can't help but feel that disproportionate scaling (downwards) is useful for bosses. Player damage doesn't seem to scale by the same factor (in ground) by whatever multiplicative factor is laid on for Advanced and Elite. So while you may have a nice consistent NPC health buff of 2, let's say, players may only be approaching it with a 1.2 or 1.5 damage increase from better equipment, skills, and powers.

The relative discrepancy is what creates added difficulty (which is the point, absolutely no problem there) but what that relative discrepancy means on absolute terms changes depending on the magnitude of the NPC's health. Doubling the time it takes to kill a minor NPC may only result in a few seconds of extra gameplay time, over which that gameplay still remains enjoyable, but when you buff out a boss it may mean extra minutes of gameplay [engaged in the same thing] that the non-linear standard of human fun might find unacceptable (though the change is abiding by some set of consistent factors).

Not increasing major NPC health by as much as intended helps scale the balance of the game in relation to reducing tedium in those instances where its most likely to develop with added difficulty. I prefer the old math (as stated) but we'll just have to see how it works out when "fixed".
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015

Meanwhile, the XP increases being released WILL apply to all Kills on Advanced and Elite, regardless of whether or not the NPC in question is affected by the other bug fix.

The problem we have is that you've already cut the XP gain in half twice.

Remember when you did the 'rebalance to make players feel like they're earning more points' last month? How that was 'supposed to see effectively no change in rank up speed'?

Yeah, that cut the XP gain in half, and you guys never fixed it.

So while this gain is appreciated, if you're basing it on the idea that we're getting the appropriate amount of skill points compared to before.... we aren't.

Virasdancer has a thread over in bug reports that's a couple weeks dead about if for more info.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2015
    personally I think the Devs here in this thread are way off base to what is needed

Across the board Pve Qs need to reward 6k completion xp and 6k critter xp to complete a pve from the Qs for avanced

This is ( Ground) and space

Normals should be around 9k Elites should be around 15k

Then remove and modify the poor Fails you placed in the content that allows trolling
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse