test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Now What?

xardriaxardria Member Posts: 4 Arc User
I consider myself a casual player. However, I have played since beta and thus over time have had a chance to max out all the reputations, have most of the lockbox ships, etc. I even have the new Sheshar ship, which is pretty nifty (if ugly). I have level 15 ranking in all the R&D areas. I could go on.

Other than running Argala for specialization points - which is the only thing I have not maxed - is there anything left for me to do? Games need to set achievable goals for players with rewards they want. Easy to play, hard to master. I feel like there is no other goal for me but the spec points. I suppose I could try to max out all equipment via upgrades, but the dilithium cost seems prohibitive unless done slowly. And what is the reward there? A minor stat increase? No new artwork on my ship in the way of changed cannons or coloring, etc.?

How I currently play the game: I check in on all my R&D stuff queues, reset my DOFF stuff, maybe run Argala if I can stand it, play with my hairstyle, and log off. I can spend 20-30 minutes a day on the game and call myself a "winner?" Compared to other games, this one just doesn't seem to have much left to do (and I'm not grinding rep for all my alts, so that's out). What's going on here? I can't believe spec points are all there's left for me to accomplish.

Does anyone else feel this way? What happened to this game? Where are the achievable rewards that give players a sense of accomplishment? Am I waiting for future patch releases to give me more content? I have genuine concerns about this game moving forward. Any thoughts on the above are appreciated.
Post edited by xardria on

Comments

• biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    TBH almost any multiplayer game played that much hits a wall as creating content for the smallest minority in the game neglects others. In this case the end game content is STFs and if you don't like them you're pretty much outta luck IMO. The game isn't designed for thousands of hours of play IMO, and STFs only take a person so far before they like you start asking what they're doing. No matter how much they add it'll never be enough for people like yourself as they simply can't add stuff faster than you blow through it.
  • xardriaxardria Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thank you. You are probably right. I'm just surprised there's not more to do, but maybe I'll learn to love Argala. :rolleyes:
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Try doing foundry content. It takes a while to learn how to find the good missions, but once you do it's very fun. (Probably the last fun thing in this game, since it isn't a grind.) :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited January 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Try the foundry.

Lol, ninja'd :P
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Accolade hunting can be quite fun, too.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sumghai wrote: »
    Accolade hunting can be quite fun, too.

Especially the missions they're about to remove.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OP: I feel your pain.

I have two characters at 60 and one at lvl 8 (I just can’t bring myself to level her up… even tho she has a T6 ship waiting in her bank.) All I do now is try to level my crafter to 15 in all schools (3 down so far) and a little dil hunt in Deferra space. STFs are a nightmare now. Mostly because of two factors: my feet, as prolific and active as they are, are US based and I currently reside in Australia, meaning 99% of the time MOST of my flee tis offline, either at work or asleep. This, in turn, pushes me to the second issue: pugs.

I don’t mind pugging. I’ve met some good friends through pugging – after a successful run we’d get together and do other runs. Once you find a team that works you stick with it, you know? Then came Cryptic’s difficulty tweak and insta-fails. Now, I would say a solid 75% of the time, the STF fails, and not always because of the pugging party. To say it is difficult to get the components one needs for special crafting projects or rep awards is an understatement now. If anything, it’s an exercise in frustration. So, sadly, I avoid them.

That factor aside, Cryptic has managed to leach the enjoyment from the game. There’s little reason to launch the game and just play nowadays. Rather, it’s load up, do your various grinds/dil hunts, log off and play something else. It’s sad, really, as I do like STO, but at the same time I wish someone else would come out with a competitive Star Trek-based MMORPG. Hell, I wouldn’t mind if it was even set in the JJVerse.

Foundry missions, as others have mentioned, is the ONLY way to play any real new story-based content in the game. There are some good ones out there, even the non-award giving ones that haven’t been ranked up yet, so keep an eye out for those. Other than that…. I don’t know what else to suggest. =/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'll second (fourth?) the Foundry. It's got literally hundreds of missions that rival many of Cryptic's.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hmmm, someone's done well...
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited January 2015
    I'll second (fourth?) the Foundry. It's got literally hundreds of missions that rival many of Cryptic's.

A large number are better. :P
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm about in the same boat as you, OP. And I do two things to alleviate the boredom.

1. Play foundry missions.
    2. Take a break/Do something else.

Following number two, I've gotten better at cooking, and I've dabbled into writing in recent months. I also play other games. I just finished my ascended armor crafting in Guild Wars 2, big pain in the TRIBBLE that I put off for most of 2014. Happy to finally get that done... :rolleyes:

All in all, just do something out of the norm. It might even surprise you. Even be happier for it.