test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

fatal error : direct 3D (Hung, Invalidcall, device removed, etc)

Comments

• senturi0001senturi0001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think the latest incarnation of this error is due to the arc update. I did a system restore from before the update, uninstalled arc, and launched STO from the game folder and got back in.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think the latest incarnation of this error is due to the arc update. I did a system restore from before the update, uninstalled arc, and launched STO from the game folder and got back in.

Is there a way then to remove Arc but keep STO itself on your system?
  • bartlett24bartlett24 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Oh, I feel you. I'm not expecting much of an solution offered by the dev team. But like you, I've done NOTHING to my laptop. No updates, no changes in any way. One ARC update later and my laptop suddenly seems to be falling apart for this game.

So basically, I can't play at all unless a solution presents itself or this fixes itself.
    Let us know if you hear anything back. And of course, watch this thread. Maybe someone will have a solution.

I'm going to post here the reply I got to the ticket I submitted. I haven't been able to try it because I have no idea what the game application file is or where to find it. If someone can please tell me and guide me to it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

They said to locate and delete the gameprefs.pref file in the game's application folder
    Then do a force verification of game files by:
    1) Shutting down PC, wait few minutes, then restart
    2) start game launcher, click "Options" on upper right of launch window
    3) Under "Patching" click "Force Verify" and select "Save"
    4) After process is done, retry starting the game

Let me know if this works for anyone out there. And again, if someone can tell me where the heck to find the game's application file I'd appreciate it. Thanks
    edited December 2014
    This may be a dumb question, but if I uninstall Arc and STO and then reinstall the whole thing, I won't lose me account/characters etc, will I?
  • locutusofjoshlocutusofjosh Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    im getting Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating vertex buffer.

Technical Details:D3D11 device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006

is there any way to fix this one
  • sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    bartlett24 wrote: »
    I'm going to post here the reply I got to the ticket I submitted. I haven't been able to try it because I have no idea what the game application file is or where to find it. If someone can please tell me and guide me to it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

They said to locate and delete the gameprefs.pref file in the game's application folder
    Then do a force verification of game files by:
    1) Shutting down PC, wait few minutes, then restart
    2) start game launcher, click "Options" on upper right of launch window
    3) Under "Patching" click "Force Verify" and select "Save"
    4) After process is done, retry starting the game

Let me know if this works for anyone out there. And again, if someone can tell me where the heck to find the game's application file I'd appreciate it. Thanks

It is ridiculous that we must do all of this because of a patch THEY forced on us.

This may be a dumb question, but if I uninstall Arc and STO and then reinstall the whole thing, I won't lose me account/characters etc, will I?

No it won't
    The Wild Bunch - The House of Souless

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    Ev'leen Girosh: 6th Trill Host to the Girosh Symbiot. KDF Tactical Commando
    TWB KDF Division XO
    edited December 2014
    It is ridiculous that we must do all of this because of a patch THEY forced on us.

Agreed. A total joke. If they are trying to get us all using Arc, they better fix this kind of thing as its THEIR error and not my laptop. Or I won't be using Arc. Up to them.
    edited December 2014
    I just uninstalled STO and ARC, reinstalled everything and am still getting the fatal error message. Is anyone else still having this problem?
  • spacecrazyspacecrazy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The problem seems to be with Arc. When trying to run STO through Arc, I get the same fatal error as soon as the loading screen appears.

However, I can run STO just fine by not using Arc and running it from it's folder. On my Win7 64 bit system, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\. For ease of access, I created a shortcut to Star Trek Online.exe on my desktop and ran it. No crash, it ran perfectly.

I'd suggest anyone having this error do the same. Skip using Arc.
    edited December 2014
    The problem seems to be with Arc. When trying to run STO through Arc, I get the same fatal error as soon as the loading screen appears.

However, I can run STO just fine by not using Arc and running it from it's folder. On my Win7 64 bit system, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\. For ease of access, I created a shortcut to Star Trek Online.exe on my desktop and ran it. No crash, it ran perfectly.

I'd suggest anyone having this error do the same. Skip using Arc.

I did the same and yes, best solution. Game now works perfectly. It is an Arc issue and something they want to fix or people will start refusing to use Arc in their thousands if this preferred delivery system doesn't even let them get into the game anymore.
    edited December 2014
    I did the same and yes, best solution. Game now works perfectly. It is an Arc issue and something they want to fix or people will start refusing to use Arc in their thousands if this preferred delivery system doesn't even let them get into the game anymore.

Unbelievable. I did the same thing, bypassing Arc, and it worked like a charm. I cant believe it. I spent 2 days jumping through hoops with Tech Support as they kept having me try different things, all of which failed, all of which suggested the problem was my computer, when I was pretty sure it wasn't. Well, I now know for sure it wasn't my system.

Real disappointing experience with tech support. I appreciate their effort, but come on, the problem is clearly with Arc.
    edited December 2014
    Unbelievable. I did the same thing, bypassing Arc, and it worked like a charm. I cant believe it. I spent 2 days jumping through hoops with Tech Support as they kept having me try different things, all of which failed, all of which suggested the problem was my computer, when I was pretty sure it wasn't. Well, I now know for sure it wasn't my system.

Real disappointing experience with tech support. I appreciate their effort, but come on, the problem is clearly with Arc.

I'm not surprised they tried pushing it back onto you. They'd rather us all fiddle and mess up our computers rather than knowledge this problem with Arc multiple people are experiencing. Unless they fix it, I'm off Arc for good.
  • matthewwilseymatthewwilsey Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So, I had the error come up when trying to start up the game.
    Here is how the error came up for me:

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while Creating vertex buffer.

Technical Details: D3D11 Device removed due to
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006

I tried various methods including video card fixes and reinstalling STO. Looks like the one that finally fixed the problem was bypassing Arc...

Doesn't say much for Arc in my opinion. The only reason why I used Arc in the first place was to get a freebie.
  • melodyalenarainmelodyalenarain Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was going to try this game out today.... After 6 hours of patching finally I was going to get to play and then this error happened, tired to fix it but nothing worked.... so I'm out. I uninstalled it I aint waiting another 6 hours to just get pissed again.
  • aidanparkeraidanparker Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How can I check why my system is crashing? I have checked the window event logs but it only refers to the kernel power error. My system crashes and restarts the computer after a couple minutes of combat. Any help or information on where the logs are stored would help.
  • n3zd4n3zd4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd like to know a solution to this problem, this game used to run smoothly on my old rig when it first came out many years ago. Just decided to start playing again on my new rig and ive had this same fatal error crash around 12 times now, just trying to do the same mission.
    Comments that my rig isnt powerful enough for this game are quite frankly tosh, If i can get a very solid performance (60fps+) on games such as Star Citizen, Asseto Corsa, i think a 7 year old game should be fine.

anyway heres my specs:
    i5 4690K
    R9 290 x2 (crossfire, crash appears with crossfire on and off)
  • opidevilopidevil Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I recognized, that the crash was related to Shadowmaps on my rig (E5-2690V2 + R9 290X).
    I disabled shadows and didn't encountered a crash since then.
  • codewarrior316codewarrior316 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, I had the error come up when trying to start up the game.
    Here is how the error came up for me:

I tried various methods including video card fixes and reinstalling STO. Looks like the one that finally fixed the problem was bypassing Arc...

Doesn't say much for Arc in my opinion. The only reason why I used Arc in the first place was to get a freebie.

Ditto I seem to have been able to work around the issue by bypassing ARC (run the .exe directly from the install folder). ARC blows but I am not telling you anything you didn't already know.
  • miracle78skmiracle78sk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

My solution is run game in safe mode first (STO launcher, Options upper right, list down check safe mode), no more fatal error.

ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Phenom II X4 965
    nVidia Geforce GTX650
    8GB RAM, 1TBHDD
  • johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    so is this not fixed yet. the delta crashing splash screen causes this error for me. can get around by enablign safe mode during launch.
  • paratwaparatwa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Same error crashes alot

where is the fix ?
  • tickletopstickletops Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

My solution is run game in safe mode first (STO launcher, Options upper right, list down check safe mode), no more fatal error.

ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Phenom II X4 965
    nVidia Geforce GTX650
    8GB RAM, 1TBHDD

I can confirm, safe mode (from launcher) does the trick, adjusting graphical settings afterward once in game. Until I tried this, the game was crashing systematically at the splash screen.
  • isee1isee1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Mine just started giving me this message this morning.

I just tried the safe mode. no luck for me.

went to microsoft site. It says its a design-time issue where the application is sending bad messages and cause direct x to time out. It also specifically mentions STO and says to contact arc about it.

It is also affecting my champions now although i dont get the message but since i started getting it in STO at the end of the cryptic loading screen at the point that it crashed STO champions goes to a permanent black screen.

Cant play either game now
  • krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have done some testing with this error on a friends machine that ran STO fine yesterday and today started with the 3d3 error device removed... then driver and game crashed..

The problem could be that other software is changing the versions of files or DLL's.

I uninstalled the nvidia driver (gtx660) and installed generic vga, ran a hardware refresh and let windows choose the correct nvidia driver. I then googled directx 11 install and downloaded the dxweb setup. This i ran......... then after installation ran the launcher and verified STO.

Conclusion STO logged in and played with no errors.

Try the above as the problem could be with the version numbers of the components within directx and a simple refresh back to base will fix it....
  • tickletopstickletops Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    isee1 wrote: »
    Mine just started giving me this message this morning.

I just tried the safe mode. no luck for me.

went to microsoft site. It says its a design-time issue where the application is sending bad messages and cause direct x to time out. It also specifically mentions STO and says to contact arc about it.

It is also affecting my champions now although i dont get the message but since i started getting it in STO at the end of the cryptic loading screen at the point that it crashed STO champions goes to a permanent black screen.

Cant play either game now

Try going to /C/programmefiles/perfectworld/startrekonline

click directly on launcher (bypass arc)
    in launcher (before login/during patch check) lick on options (upper right window)
    choose safe mode & windowed
    once in game at character selection, go to graphics options and choose Direct X version 9 (the oldest available)
    Relaunch game normally

It is a direct X problem related to direct X 11 which many pcs cannot run.
  • isee1isee1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have had directx 11 as long as ive had my computer and ive had no problem with it til today.

I have tried safe mode though i have no idea how you would launch it without arc.

but it worked! Thanks

I wonder if it will work for the champuions issue too. hmm
  • mysobriquetmysobriquet Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tickletops wrote: »
    Try going to /C/programmefiles/perfectworld/startrekonline

click directly on launcher (bypass arc)
    in launcher (before login/during patch check) lick on options (upper right window)
    choose safe mode & windowed
    once in game at character selection, go to graphics options and choose Direct X version 9 (the oldest available)
    Relaunch game normally

It is a direct X problem related to direct X 11 which many pcs cannot run.

Had to log in as administrator, other than that, this fixed it for me.

Thanks.
  • aldawulf1aldawulf1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Works for me also, bypass ARC game works fine.
  • majorbackstabbinmajorbackstabbin Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I can't even get to the character selection screen as it crashes while trying to load. Was working just fine until this latest update......
  • ironmanajfironmanajf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm having the same issue. The game keeps crashing at the "Cryptic" loading screen. Nothing is working for me.