test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Long time player, still feel lost.

karystakarysta Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Ten Forward
So the title says it all. I've been playing STO for nearly a year now, off and on, and while I have achieved max level (pushing 60 now), I still feel as though I'm missing a lot of the game. Now I enjoy this game because of the fact that it is solo friendly: my play time is not always predictable, and my play sessions are frequently interrupted, so required group content would definitely put a damper in the game for me.

As I mentioned, the solo content and ease of following missions is great for someone like me, as I can play as little or as much as I want and still accomplish something. However, playing solo like I do, I have missed a lot of the group content. More importantly, playing solo I haven't really learned how to play the game. When there's no input or socialization, comparison or competition, there's nothing to strive for or learn from.

For instance, some of the things I just learned in the past week:
  • Dilithium mining is pretty fun
  • You can actually make your duty officers do stuff
  • How to navigate without Google
  • You can do other factions storyline missions
  • You can replay missions
  • Dabo is addictive
  • Not to accept random invites
  • I may come out on top, but I still don't know exactly what I'm doing

And a shortened list of what I haven't done or learned yet:
  • How to properly build and outfit a ship
  • How to play in a group role
  • How to properly and effectively use my ship and skills in combat
  • Fleet benefits
  • Specializations, Traits, and Reputation
  • Crafting
  • What is and isn't worth selling or keeping
  • What else is out there beyond storyline episodes
  • Ship injuries
  • Duty officer management

So there it is. I can follow a storyline from start to finish, achieve top level, and still be completely lost when it comes to gameplay. I haven't explored most places, I haven't experienced most of the game. I don't technically have any friends in STO :( , and I'm so lost that I feel its a burden to ask basic questions.

So, what all am I missing out on here?
Post edited by karysta on

Comments

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you want to learn about the game, join an active, well-established fleet. I learned more in a few days with my fleet than a year of lone wolf gameplay. For example, I made my fleet leader facepalm when I told him I had hundreds of contraband sitting around and never knew I could turn it in for dilithium.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Really the above is the best advice out there for you. Find a fleet and have some people you can chat with and sometimes team with to guide you through the complexities.
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And always listen to advice
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    In general, everything I've learned that has helped came from the chat channels and Reddit.

Ship building is an art form. There are the grinding basics, and then more advanced builds that match you play style. If you're just about DPS, then there's help for you there too.

Start by joining the Reddit forums. It's easy. a source of humour and really helpful people.

You can also ask specific questions here and you'll get good advice usually the same day.

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions. Only Iconians actually bites.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Seeing that this game may feel a little.... overwhelming at first, the above advice.

Join a fleet with experienced players
    Although there is a chance your first fleet won't really fit to you (happened to me, they demanded all of my EC in the fleet bank before I gave it a Nope), there has to be one out there for you. Casual, hardcore, roleplay, PvP, name whatever you want, and there are fleets for it.

If you found one you like, with people you like, just ask them questions. Most people in here remember that they were in your position at some point, and will gladly share their knowledge to help you improve.

And if you accidentally stumble upon a fleet that has ITB-Syndrome (I'm The Best-Syndrome), the leave button is located on the Roster tab of the Fleet Window (default Ctrl+G, or the icon of the circle with 3 starfleet insignas below the minimap).

And before I forget: in my signature is a link to my fleet. No drama, nobody forcing you to do anything, and can be as active you want as long as you show your face at least once every three months.
    Hey, I gotta try recruiting somewhere, right?
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Learning the ins and outs of a game on my own, without any tips or pointers, is actually my favorite challenge. Talk to every npc, press every button, try out every ship and career path and weapon and console and find out what works and what doesn't and what makes things work better and how and why.

Occasionally I accidentally stumble upon some arcane knowledge on the forums or in a chat window and very rarely it actually turns out to be useful. But I'd say I'm at least 95% self-taught.

I like figuring things out for myself.

Oh, and I've run two- and three-man STFs, most of my ships on most of my characters will consistently place in CCA, I can solo zones in the Voth BZ, and I've got a couple of 400-man rosters full of purple and blue doffs, none of which were bought off the exchange.

I don't consider myself a truly elite player by any stretch, but that's more for lack of time and money invested than lack of knowledge. And I'm definitely above average.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    last fleet i was in was named something else but these day i think they are called "guardians of democracy", cant be sure, but before that i was in a small fleet called "call to duty" and it had a sister fleet "KDF taskforce 6", however call to duty disbanded as far as i was aware when most of them jumped ship to swtor half a year before it was launched in 2011, its leader however ended up on lotro and lost contact completely and this was around 2011 and 2012 timeline, the rest of it is just lonewolf. as far as lonewolf is concerned it turns out i learned everything i needed for a significant part and wasnt needed to be taught anything about my role or anything like that, only three things stood out that i learned and the only things i wouldnt of found out lone wolf.

DMG modifier to space weapons is the worst modifier in the game, for pve its CRITx and for pvp it is ACC.
    The second thing is that im not a leader nor could i ever take that role.
    The final thing is that i have been burned too many times in the past over a number of games, to let my guard down once again is not going to happen.

if im going to learn it will be by myself and making mistakes.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd say check out the STOWiki but it's poorly maintained and coded and riddled with out of date information and opinion and conjecture being peddled as 'fact'. Whenever I've needed to know extremely important information about the game, the STOWiki has never once been a reliable resource.

I'd say join a fleet but there are fleets out there just as ignorant about the game as you are, if not moreso. I had new people join my fleet recently who spun all kinds of fun stories about what their old fleet told them in regards to certain intricacies of the game. It was not fun trying to rehabilitate them.

I'd say ask the STO forums, but anywhere else other than the Academy sub-forum is probably not going to yield much in the way of helpful advice, depending on the type of question you're asking.

I'd say join STO's Reddit page, since they more often than not know what they're talking about, but on the few occasions I browse their STO subreddit, I see the same regurgitated misinformation posted to the STOWiki or on the forums, with only maybe one or two people actually pointing out things like 'fact' there.

My best advice is to join a fleet that knows what they're talking about (or at least says they do), and verify what they are saying yourself.

Listen to advice, but question all of it at some point.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • nitewingnycnitewingnyc Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    karysta wrote: »
    So the title says it all. I've been playing STO for nearly a year now, off and on, and while I have achieved max level (pushing 60 now), I still feel as though I'm missing a lot of the game. Now I enjoy this game because of the fact that it is solo friendly: my play time is not always predictable, and my play sessions are frequently interrupted, so required group content would definitely put a damper in the game for me.

As I mentioned, the solo content and ease of following missions is great for someone like me, as I can play as little or as much as I want and still accomplish something. However, playing solo like I do, I have missed a lot of the group content. More importantly, playing solo I haven't really learned how to play the game. When there's no input or socialization, comparison or competition, there's nothing to strive for or learn from.

For instance, some of the things I just learned in the past week:
    • Dilithium mining is pretty fun
    • You can actually make your duty officers do stuff
    • How to navigate without Google
    • You can do other factions storyline missions
    • You can replay missions
    • Dabo is addictive
    • Not to accept random invites
    • I may come out on top, but I still don't know exactly what I'm doing

And a shortened list of what I haven't done or learned yet:
    • How to properly build and outfit a ship
    • How to play in a group role
    • How to properly and effectively use my ship and skills in combat
    • Fleet benefits
    • Specializations, Traits, and Reputation
    • Crafting
    • What is and isn't worth selling or keeping
    • What else is out there beyond storyline episodes
    • Ship injuries
    • Duty officer management

So there it is. I can follow a storyline from start to finish, achieve top level, and still be completely lost when it comes to gameplay. I haven't explored most places, I haven't experienced most of the game. I don't technically have any friends in STO :( , and I'm so lost that I feel its a burden to ask basic questions.

So, what all am I missing out on here?

Well I am always looking for players for my fleet.. I do require a player while learning to have ventrilo (voice over ip)... Makes things a bit Easier for both parties to get things done...at least in my own experience.

If you feel we are not a fit, well no worries there, I hold rank in 2 other fleets...so you can fleet hop and try each one out for your self..

If you are interested send me an in game email or pm me @nitewingnyc
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    /channel_join RedditChat

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Some things no one has asked you yet, OP
    - Do you have fun when playing the way you described in your post?
    - Do you really think playing with a group of people will make the the game more fun for you?
    - Do you feel like you are missing out on a vital aspect of the game by not being part of a group?

Yeah, yeah. 'Join a Fleet! Because yadda yadda...' Which shortly turns into, "Join MY Fleet! 'Cuz we don't have any drama an' we're all really mature for our age an' we only want to help you an' all!"

If I had a nickel for every Fleet advert which says they don't have or tolerate any drama, I'd be the ultimate whale around here. All Fleets have some drama. The Fleet idea is a good one. Unfortunately, to get it to work, you have to infect said idea with people. Most Fleet Leaders just want to get that Fleet to T4 as fast as possible. Which means members are viewed merely as a source of income. Your value to said Fleet only reaches as far as you are willing to give up resources for the Fleet rather than spend them on your own chars. Because there really isn't any way to support both at the same time without spending large amounts of RL Currency. And when you have no more to give, you instantly become a burden and a problem rather than a Fleet mate.

Not all Fleets are like this. Just a little over 98% of them. So please be careful when picking one out. Do not hesitate to drop them like a bad habit the very second you hear or see something you don't like. Because if you stay with the wrong Fleet, this game stops being fun in a hurry. Then the only way to get the fun back is go solo. Again. Followed by joining another Fleet. This time will be different, right? Maybe. Most likely it will be more of the same which caused you to leave the other Fleet.

Now it may sound like I am dead set against Fleets. Actually I am not. I just think joining a Fleet should be something you take your time on and try out all your options. I finally found the Fleet I wanted to be in. It is a good bunch and we have a lot of fun playing STO. But we may not be a good match for you, OP. I'd rather not try to turn you into a mail order bride.

One other thing: Fleets recruit you because you have value. As long as you have value, work it to your advantage. And only your advantage. No one else's. Because most Fleet Leaders in this game are interested in you solely for the size of your Dilitium horde. Once this is used up, they'll kick you to the curb. Since it is your Dilithium which you've earned, be the kicker rather than the kickee.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • karystakarysta Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone, I appreciate it. I agree, joining a good fleet is a great idea, and I will have to look into that some more. I have joined the Reddit channel, and am keeping my eyes open. Always happy to make new friends as well, it gets lonely being the only one in space.
  • zerox288zerox288 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Iv been on here since day one iv gotten off of sto for a while. im back now and i think the game is really good i do have my own fleet with just a few players it is just starting out alot of the members there are new to the game ill help you out as much as i can. but if anybody wants to join a friendly fleet. we will join in your missions to help if needed and we do have our own ts server if your interested into joining message me on sto @zero_x2889:D
    edited January 2015
    -snip-

Indeed, there are quite a few bad fleets out there. Like I said in my post, my first one demanded all my ec in the fleet bank (that was before the fleet holdings came into existence) and I was like, Nope, aint gonna play with these guys.

After some good and bad things happened over the course of a year, I created a fleet on the 29th of June, 2013. There was a reason our members sticked with us, a T0 fleet, when there were T5 fleets flying out there.

As a leader, my guiding principle is that I cannot and will not tell anybody how they should spend their time in STO. I don't make them wear the fleet uniform, I don't force them to be active in the chat. Ofcourse I encourage it, but I will not force it.

And from my point of view, as long as somebody comes online at least once every 3 months, I don't care if he/she doesn't contribute. I don't care if he/she never says hi in the fleet chat. As long as people remain active in the game (with the max of 3 months beiing away can put you up a risk to be kicked), they are valuable members to my fleet, in which I am willing to spend time and recourses to get to know hem and help them improve in whatever direction they want to.

This is not just my fleet. There are many other fleets out there who feel the same. Waaaay more then the 2% you describe.
    edited January 2015
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    ...This is not just my fleet. There are many other fleets out there who feel the same. Waaaay more then the 2% you describe.

If more than 2% of the guilds in this game are so good, whyever would they need a recruiting thread? Whyever would they need a specific part of the game infrastructure devoted to advertising they are accepting members? If more than 2% of the Fleets in this game are so good, wouldn't people be clamoring to get into them? Rather than the other way 'round? The OP described being hit with a random Fleet Invite. And this is the norm, rather than the exception.

Also, please do not take what I posted as personal attack upon yourself or your Fleet. It was not intended that way. I have not ever had any ingame contact with either yourself or any members of your Fleet. If what I posted resonates negatively with yourself, there may be a reason for this. The truth is the truth. It does not take sides.

My point was not about good or bad Fleets or how many of each there are. My point was the OP needs to make sure the Fleet he/she chooses is a good fit for them. In that the members are helpful, online, not cliqueish, generous to newer players with time and resources and advice, and so on. I sincerely hope the OP does find the right Fleet. Because this means he/she will enjoy STO with friends. Which very much does make the game better. Finding the right Fleet means doing due diligence about Fleets in general and the people making up a specific Fleet in particular.

It doesn't matter one whit about the holdings and the benefits they bring to a player. What matters is the social aspects of being part of a Fleet enhance the individual members enjoyment of the game. One of the worst things about this game is being a Fleet where one is treated poorly or ignored. I can speak from personal experience on this. As can nearly every other player. Including yourself, if what you posted wasn't just argumentative and made up to try to prove me wrong in public.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The STO wiki is out of date and rarely updated at all. I highly recommend looking at the STO Academy website for ship builds and helpful information. It helped me alot. Good luck.

Remember you keep what you kill.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If more than 2% of the guilds in this game are so good, whyever would they need a recruiting thread? Whyever would they need a specific part of the game infrastructure devoted to advertising they are accepting members? If more than 2% of the Fleets in this game are so good, wouldn't people be clamoring to get into them? Rather than the other way 'round? The OP described being hit with a random Fleet Invite. And this is the norm, rather than the exception.

This is why I suggested joining a fleet without advertising my own.

I feel we're one of those good old fleets, but we still recruit. We were slowly dying over the past year though. We don't need members to contribute to our maxed out holdings, we want members to play with.
    My point was the OP needs to make sure the Fleet he/she chooses is a good fit for them. In that the members are helpful, online, not cliqueish, generous to newer players with time and resources and advice, and so on. I sincerely hope the OP does find the right Fleet. Because this means he/she will enjoy STO with friends. Which very much does make the game better. Finding the right Fleet means doing due diligence about Fleets in general and the people making up a specific Fleet in particular.

^This exactly, there is a whole section dedicated to recruiting on the forums here, just scroll down the main page.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think I used to learn the most when playing PvP and using Organized PvP and the PvP forums. There was of course also a lot of nonsense going on there, but you could find people that wanted to learn about the game or share what they have learned.

These days, the DPS Channels might be more helpful, but I don't really know a good place in the forums anymore.

What I learned "back then" is not all up to date anymore, I think, because there are a lot of new toys and abilities that I don't have a strong grasp on, often related to lockbox ship or special ship console (lockbox or C-Store).

Heck, I still bring Emergency Power to Shields because I once learnd that shield damage reduction is good for you, and EptS has an amazing uptime, but I think I've seen high DPS build that don't need it anymore, because the best damage reduction can be killing your enemies before they can hurt you. It seems Emergency Power to Weapons is now more useful (2-3 years ago, the damage buff was marginal due to a short duration, and you should run at 125 weapon power before any extra buffs, but now even the damage buff lasts a good time.)

Though, it doesn't seem that Tactical Team has gone out of vogue - shield distribution is very valuable, and probably still so when you're high DPS already. Tactical Team still buffs your attacks a bit, without blocking any other important powers.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited January 2015

Also, please do not take what I posted as personal attack upon yourself or your Fleet. It was not intended that way. I have not ever had any ingame contact with either yourself or any members of your Fleet. If what I posted resonates negatively with yourself, there may be a reason for this. The truth is the truth. It does not take sides.

My point was not about good or bad Fleets or how many of each there are. My point was the OP needs to make sure the Fleet he/she chooses is a good fit for them. In that the members are helpful, online, not cliqueish, generous to newer players with time and resources and advice, and so on. I sincerely hope the OP does find the right Fleet. Because this means he/she will enjoy STO with friends. Which very much does make the game better. Finding the right Fleet means doing due diligence about Fleets in general and the people making up a specific Fleet in particular.

It doesn't matter one whit about the holdings and the benefits they bring to a player. What matters is the social aspects of being part of a Fleet enhance the individual members enjoyment of the game. One of the worst things about this game is being a Fleet where one is treated poorly or ignored. I can speak from personal experience on this. As can nearly every other player. Including yourself, if what you posted wasn't just argumentative and made up to try to prove me wrong in public.

Didn't take it as a personal attack on me. Its just that 2% felt off. Illustrating my fleet was part of the argument, not to defend her. I have yet to find the first person to attack us to be honest, did not take this as an attack, so don't worry.

And I totally agree that socialization is the most important part of a fleet. All the gear and such is very nice, but hey, we got reputation gear as well, and the exchange still offers pretty good stuff.

But having seen a vast amount of fleets in this game, and that most of them are made up by allright guys, I am wondering if you just had a really large series of bad luck joining fleets. Because there are soo many good fleets.

And why are they recruiting? A new player joins the game. He/she has no idea what everything is. There are even those who mistake a random invite as part of the mission. Not everybody will figure out how to use everything the way he/she likes (I only figured out bridge officers have powers I can use when I reached level 46). So the "good fleets" as we will call them here between ""marks since its kind of subjective, they try to give the new players a good STO experience from the beginning. Because not everybody can find a good fleet.
    edited January 2015
    Done with speaking on Fleets. Seems we all have the same idea more or less. We're just looking at it from different directions with different intentions.

On to New Business...

OP, I highly suggest you find yourself a mentor. Either within a Fleet or out. Someone who has a great deal of experience with the parts of the game you are unfamiliar with. As well as parts you are familiar with. Why the second one? Because you just might being doing something incorrectly. Which can lead to you penalizing yourself.

As evidence I present - myself. I started playing STO back when a player still had to advance to Level 25 as a Fed to have a Klingon char. I really wanted a Klingon char. So I went after it with some seriousness. When I got my first Klink I went TAC for the first time and since I've always liked the way the B'Rel looks, got me one of these as well.

The learning curve was a bit...steep, lol. Add to this I've never been what could be considered a "twitch" type player and you can see where the frustration became very visible very quickly. Then, along came Gladius. He saw me wandering thru the old ISE one day and dying regularly. And I do mean regularly.
    "If the Collective had a sense of humor,
    we would be experiencing shutdowns due to laughter overloads at how you play, Thunder."

Gladius was and is awesome. Simple as that. His advice was always offered as suggestions rather than edicts. He was an LTS and so was able to offer material assistance as well. He gifted me with a couple of ships and the gear needed to make them perform well. All he asked in return was that whenever we were online together, we played together. I was luckier than I have any right to be when he found me. He has since moved on to other games and somewhere I lost track of him. A real shame. Gladius is a very good gamer because first and foremost he is a very good human being.

I have since made a serious effort to pass along the things he showed me about STO. I like gifting ships to random people who do not expect it. I don't get to do this as often as I like. I also really enjoy 'riding shotgun' for newer players who are struggling with some of the FEs or Foundry Missions. All of this because of Gladius. So, OP, find yourself a mentor. Some of the other posters in this thread would probably make a very fine one. I already have two Padawans right now and it has become a bit of a challenge to help them. It is a fun challenge but still a challenge.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    monodoso wrote: »
    The STO wiki is out of date and rarely updated at all. I highly recommend looking at the STO Academy website for ship builds and helpful information. It helped me alot. Good luck.

Remember you keep what you kill.
    It's a wiki. I'm sure you know how to update things on a wiki.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's a wiki. I'm sure you know how to update things on a wiki.

Press F5 until someone else wrote new stuff?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Zing. :P

http://sto.gamepedia.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=&limit=1000

The most important thing you'll get from a fleet is knowledge. Any fleet that's worth its salt will have one or more highly-knowledgeable players that have experience in most or all of the game's systems that can mentor you in areas you need help with. For example, in my fleet I'm the best source of info for doffing and knowledge on the game's bugs and its history, and I've got my ear to the ground in a lot of places in and out of the game so I know where to look for information if I don't have it. We've got another guy who is a systems master at ship building for any scenario who helps our members lrn2play and melt face. :P Both of us are also exchange gurus and seasoned bug testers. I used to be very anti-fleet back in '10 and '11 because I'd heard horror stories from other players about strict rank structures and contribution requirements, but I stumbled into a good casual fleet and was convinced to join it and I've never regretted that decision even though I was apprehensive about it at the time. Although you can also get the same knowledge just from chatting in some of the global chat channels like the reddit chat, doffjobs, nop public service, accolades, dps channels, etc. because those same knowledgeable players frequent those channels.

So yeah, knowledge is the best thing you can get, and your acquisition of it will depend on other players a lot due to the game's lack of official documentation.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.