test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Everybody is special

2»

Comments

• mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Don't want to make it too hard..otherwise....oh, wait!

I have the perfect solution that fits right in with PWE's game model!

Bust everyone back to the rank of Captain and then have a 2-year grind fest/rep system for those who want it to make Rear Admiral, Lower Half! WOOT! Yeah! Or "Finish Now" for 5,000,000 dilithium and/or 12,000 Zen!

Do it PWE! DOOOOOOO EEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!

Believe it or not, I actually WANT this. As long as it doesn't lock all further content behind that timegate. (Which wouldn't make any sense anyway - it's normally Captains that zip all over the place in ships. Being an admiral would be fairly boring and no mission content or anything should require it.)
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As MMO as this game is, you're leaving out an important detail: the story is very much a single-player one.

Everyone seems 'special' because, in the mission storyline, the player's character is the hero (at least most of the time). The core story largely ignores other players - even if you're playing as a team, it's still a solo-focused story - and as a result the social aspect of the game is filled with ridiculously accomplished Admirals who, despite their apparent prevalence, are the only individual who accomplished the things that they did in the eyes of the STO storyline.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • preechrsapreechrsa Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I do find it strangely fitting that the only NPC in the game that acknowledges that you outrank them and gives you advice instead of orders... is Harry Kim.
    hzzfzXc.png
    Shutup Wesley: First In Everything
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tier 1
    Level 1 - Cadet
    Level 3 - Ensign

Tier 2
    Level 10 - Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Tier 3
    Level 20 - Lieutenant

Tier 4
    Level 30 - Lt. Commander

Tier 5
    Level 40 - Commander
    Level 50 - Captain
    Level 60 - Fleet Captain

The above is how the rank structure should have been organized. But alas, we're now all Fleet Admirals.
  • brantregarebrantregare Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yep.

Should have stopped ranks at the canon hero rank of Captain. But still had Admiral available in game for those who wanted it by having the Title available to Fleet (guild) Leaders.

That would have made being an Admiral actually mean something...something special.

But as the OP says, "Everyone is special" in STO. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the whole 'Captain as default endgame rank' horse left the barn long, long ago. :(

100%! Totally agree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tier 1
    Level 1 - Cadet
    Level 3 - Ensign

There is absolutely no way that a Cadet or Ensign would be put in charge of a ship. So the first 10 levels would have to be reworked into a tutorial where it is you running around Starfleet Academy until level 3 and your first posting where you would be commanded by the Captain to do various errands. So commanding a ship would not happen until level 10.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Why isn't this in the FCT yet?
    'Cuz to be a FCT, it needs to have had an Official Answer from On High, and as yet, the Devs have simply set back and watched these threads burn, as far as I know.
    jonsills wrote: »
    But the line in The Incredibles is disproved in the movie itself, as the family demonstrates that what separates them from the likes of Syndrome isn't power, but what they do with it. Their powers don't make them special - their willingness to use those powers to protect people without any is what sets them apart.
    I suddenly have a new level of respect for that movie. Thanks for pointing that out, I never thought of it that way.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you really want to be an Admiral the only content you should allow yourself to do would be Duty Officer missions.

No space exploration.

No away teams.

No combat.

Just a desk.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I can see where Fleet Admiral "may" lead:

Long promised.. promotion of Bridge officers to captian and having a fleet of your own ships in combat PvP

What will this do... Sell LOTS of BOFF slots and add LOTS of server overhead.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    Everybody is Special.

It has always bothered me that EVERYONE in STO is an Admiral. I would LOVE for Cryptic to design a mission where you got busted. Something in line with “Stealing the Enterprise” but as a result, we all get bumped down to Captain.

What’s that line from the Incredible’s?

“Everyone can have powers. Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super...no one will be.”

The same applies here.

“Everyone can be an Admiral. Everyone can be in charge! And when everyone’s in charge…no one will be!”

LOVE you STO! I have hopes that you will continue to get better. You're a little sick right now but you've been this way before. You always come out a champion. I have faith that you'll beat the bug.

I thought that Incredibles convo went like this (didn't look it up):

"Everyone is special."
    "That's just another way of saying no one is."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It was very short sighted to use Admiral ranks. They should have just broken Captain into multiple ranks of captain. Like Captain 3rd Grade.....or even Commadore !-3rd Class...
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    In truth, there are only a few admirals.

It requires a generous suspension of disbelief - because it's YOU who has saved the Federation/Empire countless times as one of the most decorated Star Fleet Captains.

Everyone else is from an alternate universe/timeline who just happen to share your adventures.
    meimeitoo wrote: »

"Everyone is special."

My favourite line from that movie ;)
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I get the feeling that if they had stopped at Captain, people would still complain about how everyone can't possibly be a Captain.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hravik wrote: »
    I get the feeling that if they had stopped at Captain, people would still complain about how everyone can't possibly be a Captain.

Nah. Being a captain is the premise of the game, and it doesn't take too much suspension of disbelief to accept that Starfleet's being stretched thin so they're filling their ranks at warp speeds to compensate... It's odd, but since, again, it's the premise of the game that you're a starship captain, I'll take it. Admirals, however? That makes no sense no matter how you look at it. (Unless you're a leader of a fleet of more than, say, ten people, in which case it makes at least a bit of sense.)
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    1) If I'm the only admiral and the only one who's had all of these adventures, what about all my alts? Did they just imagine having gone through all the same experiences as my main, and getting promoted to the same rank? Or was it all a Q illusion, or some epic holodeck program? (Hmm... maybe that's why the game's main server is called Holodeck?)

2) Also, if I'm the only admiral and everyone else I see is just another captain, why can't I order any of them around?
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    Everybody is Special.

It has always bothered me that EVERYONE in STO is an Admiral. I would LOVE for Cryptic to design a mission where you got busted. Something in line with “Stealing the Enterprise” but as a result, we all get bumped down to Captain.

What’s that line from the Incredible’s?

“Everyone can have powers. Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super...no one will be.”

The same applies here.

“Everyone can be an Admiral. Everyone can be in charge! And when everyone’s in charge…no one will be!”

LOVE you STO! I have hopes that you will continue to get better. You're a little sick right now but you've been this way before. You always come out a champion. I have faith that you'll beat the bug.

*squeezes ktonof1aq's cheek* "Yes you are...yes you are very 'special'...."
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It wouldn't bother me so much that I'm an admiral, now fleet admiral/dahar master, if I wasn't always taking orders from lower ranking officers. Additionally, if I'm beyond the rank of captain, why am I only in command of a single ship? Admirals are in charge of multiple ships. They increased the level cap and rank but in reality the game still treats you like a captain. They shouldn't have increased the level cap or at least the players rank beyond captain until they had some kind of system in place for you to send out your fleet to either do missions on their own or accompany you on missions.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • nitewingnycnitewingnyc Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yep.

Should have stopped ranks at the canon hero rank of Captain. But still had Admiral available in game for those who wanted it by having the Title available to Fleet (guild) Leaders.

That would have made being an Admiral actually mean something...something special.

But as the OP says, "Everyone is special" in STO. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the whole 'Captain as default endgame rank' horse left the barn long, long ago. :(

Funny that reading this ...I recalled talking to new players and how they didn't know that there were any special titles for achievement...in the game..what was a hoot ..was that 2 of they guys out of 14 had been playing the game since launch...

Shadow force, legendary, moist..are just 3 that a lot of people haven't seen or know how to get....

So I agree not everyone should be an admiral but if I take into consideration Omega shot of force Omega guard Omega Leegard more yeast legendary and the list goes on and on there is a way to show that you've been around and you or the pointy on for instance for completing all of your options and creating all the gear from Omega. There's also a voth armor unlock and an elite voth armor & title available when you complete all of the accolades for the voth. A lot of these things are in game and in place for elite players, but I really haven't seen too much in the way of reference to actually acknowledged that they exist for players and new players..FYI omega and Voth are just 2 examples of accolades or title or armor or costume however in the freezer there are literally hundreds in the game...

I just got elite delta hero...lol.. By staying after board disconnected is done right before the timer kicks you out there are voth, Undine and Borg that come in....if you stay there you can kill a few each time, if you can that is...after a while ...and all of a sudden this title pops up...

So anyone can be an adult but you need to be special to hold each and every title...lol
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The existing "rank" system strikes me as an identifier for power level and nothing more. I would like my actual rank/ manner of address to linked to a title displayed in the biography that would script NPCs to address my character as a Commander, Captain or whatever I selected there.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »

"Everyone is special."

Maybe that conversation is in the movie too. I don't really remember it, but I know for sure that the OP had the quote right. I love Syndrome, he is one of my favorite movie villains.

It is a little strange their being so many admirals, but I don't really mind that much. The reason it works (witch is really unfortunate) is that most of the story missions assume that you are the only player in the universe so from a story standpoint other players don't exist.
    sstosig2.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    walligig wrote: »
    Maybe that conversation is in the movie too. I don't really remember it, but I know for sure that the OP had the quote right. I love Syndrome, he is one of my favorite movie villains.

I looked it up this time.

Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.
    Dash: [muttering] Which is another way of saying no one is.

The sheer brilliance and truth of that statement is downright mind-boggling. :) One of my all-time favorite movie lines! The other one is from Battlestar Galactica:

Boomer: How do you know? I mean, how do you really know that you can trust me?
    Adama: I don't. That's what trust is.

Still gives me the chills. :)

On-Topic: While this is an MMO, it's good thing we're all, individually, the star of the show. If this were, say, Mass Effect, we'd all be Commander Shepard too. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg