test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is good these days??

rhyusssrhyusss Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Federation Discussion
Ok, so, I've been away for some time now. I started in beta, got a lifetime subscription, joined with my guild mates and played for a few months before they all seemed to leave the game. Then, not really having anybody to play the game with, I stopped playing as well. So, the last real thing I remember happening in game was the introduction of Memory Alpha. Never got into what every happens there. I've gotten in from time to time to play the different expansions, get free ships and do the Winter event.

I play a Fed Tact officer and I tend to use ships geared for them. Over in the shipyard I posted help on what ship would be good to get. I got the Phantom. Now, I'm just trying to figure out what to do with everything. I've been doing DOff missions and I've been doing the reputation missions. I have no clue if the skills my BOffs have is any good any longer, for both ground and space. I noticed that I can put some DOffs in a space and ground section. I have some in there, but I don't know if they are worth having there or not. I see these new kits and I have no clue what to do with them. I have weapons, components and consoles from well over a year ago in my ship and have no clue if they are any good any longer or not. Really, I just don't know about anything really that has changed with the game. I just mash buttons and keys and if I survive, ya me. If I don't, I grumble and wonder what is wrong with my ship/BOffs/DOffs.

So, any and all help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by rhyusss on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Does it matter what quality the BOffs is? I know it matters with Doffs, but does a very rare BOff any different than a common BOff? I mean, sure, they probably have more advanced skills, but if you can train a common BOff with a level three skill, do they really matter?
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    As for the Boffs - yes. Boffs have traits. These are not trainable, and to some extent unique to the race of the boff.

Romulan boffs for example can have:

Romulan Operative
    +Crit and Crit severity, reduced cloak cooldown.

This ability is highly valued, and sought after.

As for duty officers, the range and capabilities available today are a lot of fun - doing everything providing bonus XP, damage, even increasing the volume of R&D materials.

Delta Rising has meant that some skills are a must have if you are NOT using the new intel skills. Only T6 ships have the hybrid slots for Boffs with the new skill sets. Polarize Hull and Hazard emitters are the two most frequently used for T5 and T5-U ships, to counter a myriad of new things you'll encounter.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Currently, on my Phantom, I have three Tetryon Dual Heavy Cannons Mk X (2 blue and 1 purple) and an Adaptive Transphasic Torpedo Mk XII (purple) up front and two Tetryon Turret Mk X (blue) and a Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo (blue) in the rear. I have four Console - Tactical 0 Tetryon Pulse Generator Mk X (blue) that give +24.4% Tetryon damage, two Console - Engineering - Ablative Hull Armor Mk X (blue) that gives +24.4 damage resistance rating to phaser, disruptor, plasma and tetryon, one Console - Engineering - Parametallic Hull Plating Mk XII (green) which gives +35 damage resistance to polaron and antiproton, Console - Science - Shield Refrequencer Mk XII (blue) that gives +9.4% shield regen rate and a couple of other things too long to put here, and Console - Science - Field Generator Mk XIII (blue) that gives +20% max shield capacity. I have the purple Jem-Hadar shield and impulse engine, the purple Breen warp core and Positron Deflector Array Mk X (blue) which gives +7.5 starship sensors and a few other things to it as well.

If you need any other information, just let me know.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "What is good these days?"

"To crush your enemies! To drive them before you! To hear the lamentations of their..."

Oh! About STO... well... :D
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    As for the Boffs - yes.

Boffs have traits. These are not trainable, and to some extent unique to the race of the boff.

Romulan boffs for example can have:

Romulan Operative

This ability is highly valued, and sought after.

And is this BOff able to be gotten on the Fed side?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Might want to re-run that one Jem'Hadar mission to get the matching deflector. It's not a stellar set, but it has its uses (the buil-in persistent Brace for Impact effect is nice to have sometimes, etc).

I'm not even sure what mission(s) they came from.
  • Options
    kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    rhyusss wrote: »
    Romulan Operative

And is this BOff able to be gotten on the Fed side?

Tactical Boffs from Fleets can come with this trait.. All factions.

Romulan/Reman captians (either alliance) can have this on all Boffs. This is a unique benefit for romulans, and a compensation for an otherwise weak toon.

Intel + Superior Operative is "Delta Rising" exclusive, only for the Romulan toons.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Also, I'm looking through my Bank and I have a lot of old materials that I picked up while running around on old missions. I also noticed that all the new stuff that you get from the scanning goes into the R&D tab of Inventory and they look nothing like the old stuff. I tried putting the old stuff into the R&D tab, but it wont allow me to do that. What do I do with this old stuff??
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    right click>use to open up a "store" that will convert old to new.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ok, so, I'm not really sure about these new kits. Is there something that I need to do with them or are the just like the old one, I put them in the Kit slot and away I go?
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well .. no. The kit frame should have 4-5 empty slots. You will fill these with modules that are similar to the old powers.

Before the kits frame, you bought a kit and it had 4 pre-determines powers/abilities. Now, you can customize the kit to have abilities you want.

See: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Kit
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ok, so, seems to be a lot more complicated than before, unless you can only put powers/abilities that is for your class. I'm a tactical Captain, what would be a good/great combination for a the kit?
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Actually, you can still use the old kits if you are comfortable with it. Alternatively, you can make the new kit almost exactly like your old kit. You'll need to learn the new rules to the new kits, but once you "see" them, then it's actually "simple".

I can't speak to Tac Kits as I play Sci exclusively, but I was resistant to the new kits for long enough to realize I was wrong to do so :P
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What is considered good for a Tactical Captain? Remember, I've been away for some time and I have the Grenade Satchel Mk X in purple. It has Stun, Smoke, Photon and Plasma Grenade 3 in it. Are those still any good or what should I be looking for. I've collected a lot of kits and modules for the new kits, just need to go looking through them now.
  • Options
    amaresh1amaresh1 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Differences from the Past. (I don't know how long you have been gone.). The bottom line is that DR is power creep on a massive scale.

Weapons de jour.

Beams and FAW are the most popular. Lash together with key binds and you can build high dps that even a small child can fly and churn out good numbers.

Torpedos are also making a come back on Vape builds and stealth bomber/vape builds etc.

Cannons: I think will make a comeback on the Klingon side.

R and D changes.

1. R and D System requires you to grind for about 100 days to get to level 15 or you can build level 10 gear in all the slots for 3 hours. (Depends on how you want to grind.)

2. Once you get to Level 15, you get traits for your captain that are actually pretty awesome. My recommendation for your main is to get to level 15 on Beams (Beam Barrage) or Cannons (Adapt Cannoneer), Engineer (Trait gives damage resistance on engineering skills.), Science (Trait gives crit on science abilities, Ground Gear (Armor penetrating Rounds.), Shields.

3. Get your other alts grinding whatever your Main is does not have.

4. Experiment building stuff there are definitely some tricks to it.

5. Upgrade your stuff, but don't stress it takes some time to get the materials, dilithium, and everything gets more efficient the higher you get in R and D.

6. Remember it takes a team of alts to make your main awesome.

DR.

1. Grind, Grind, Grind. Do the missions and Argala patrols till your eyes bleed and then do some more. You need to get 22 levels above level 50.

2. Invest in 1 Captain Specialization to get the starship trait. Also, the captains specializations range from useless to awesome. I will let you decide which specialization to focus on. (Cough Intelligence officer)

3. Starship Traits. Again these range from crappy to awesome. Built right you tank and dps at th
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    get some intel officers, even white quality ones, and use the intel skills. The new ships shine with those, they are even considered by many (probably pvp folks that don't have them... lol) to be OP. They certainly help to cut down the new content, which is significantly harder than it was pre DR. You can buy an intel officer at your base from the guy -- I think its 200 dil or roughly that for one.

Depending on how long you been out, be sure to get counter command and delta rep. The counter command deflector is a good dps item, and the gel pack console from delta is pretty solid.

Crafting is useful again, and many folks are trying to get crafted critD focused weapons -- usually in AP. One reason for this is the intel skill surgical strikes, letting you score tons of crits in a short period of time. There are about 3 highly useful intel skills, in a nutshell --- surgical strikes (+30 I think to crit chance for all energy weapons), override subsystem safties (+much power overcap, allowing power to hit 160 in weapons etc), and turbulence, which is a lot like attack pattern beta. The other intel skills will vary a lot depending on your needs as to how useful they can be.

the spec tree has a lot of goodness, but takes a long time to fill out. Rock & roll lets you avoid damage from certain scripted attacks like crystal aoe or a torp spread coming at you, etc. Its a huge survival tool. Intel tree gets good later, but takes a lot of points to get there.

the basics have not changed *much*. Just stack these new skills onto the same old stuff... power to weapons, pattern beta, pattern alpha, faw & overload, overload with the shield pen officer is a nice combo, DEM if you can fit it, etc.

Look at some of the builds for your ship posted here, get some ideas, look at why they slot what they do etc.