test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In-Game Spam Out of Control: GMs/Community Managers Asleep At The Wheel?

sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
Where is STO's in-game GM and community management team? Bueller? :confused:

In-game spam is way, way, way up and nothing is being done about it. Before you blame the holidays, this was happening way before the holidays. Maybe it's time to spend less time overmoderating the forums and running gimmicky Livestreams (where you basically bribe us with gifts to show up and spam Twitch chat) and actually handling the day-to-day in-game?

"Saint Olivia" Spoof Account/Challenge Spam
Someone has been spoofing poor @olivia211 for months. According to her hundreds of tickets have been filed and emails have been sent to numerous people at Cryptic about this clear harrassment/TOS violation, but with no response. ESD and QWW people are receiving numerous challenge invites from someone spoofing as her constantly. Further, the invites have no handle so you have to turn off challenge invites from everyone.

Ridiculous Gold Spam on Qo'noS, QWW, All Social Hubs
Gold/RMT spam is up around 2010 levels in zone chat on pretty much all social hubs, but obviously Qo'noS and ESD are getting the worst of it. It's persistent too, I mean multiple times an hour, flooding chat like crazy.
Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited December 2014
    remember that a fix for this is not always easy, you need to track down a handful of accounts and possibly hundreds...

And since it is still indeed holidays, the wont be a fix soon...

Almost everyone has already moved around the issue by going either anonymous or changing their privacy settings, try doing the same, until there is a true fix for this...
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The point isn't to shift the burden of action or proof to the players, the point is to highlight how long this has gone completely unaddressed by the people who are presumably paid to handle this sort of stuff.

Do they even know it's happening? Or does it take a player like me coming here to the forums to get them to do their job? :rolleyes:
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The point isn't to shift the burden of action or proof to the players, the point is to highlight how long this has gone completely unaddressed by the people who are presumably paid to handle this sort of stuff.

Do they even know it's happening? Or does it take a player like me coming here to the forums to get them to do their job? :rolleyes:

It's not just the Olivia spam nonsense; it's the gold spammer nonsense going on in Q'nos zone chat. On average, 3-4 of these idiots pop up every hour and spam non-stop gold spam messages. New players can't really ask questions because they are having to fight the spammers just to get their message out there. At this point, all Cryptic would have to do honestly is station a gm on Qnos, Taw Dewa, and ESD at random intervals of the day and IP ban all of these jokers. They are ruining the game and Cryptic needs to do something about them.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited December 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21171571&postcount=442
    Thank you for keeping the peace BlueGeek.

I can confirm that an elite strike force of Devs, led by CaptainGeko, is working on a solution to this issue, and I trust that they will find a solution as soon as they can. They are already looking into the problem, and hope to have and update for you soon on the solution.

I'd like to send that team a thank you on behalf of the CM team, as well as on the players who have been hoping for a solution to this issue.

We hope to bring you more updates to address in-game settings soon, but in the meantime, please help us out with patience as the team looks into how to address this best. You have already waited for a long while, and for that we thank you.

Keep your eye on the upcoming patch notes for additional updates on this.

Thanks again for the reports everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

This has already been answered by Smirk in another thread...
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited December 2014

And what about the gold spammer issue?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014

how do you know they have done nothing? do you know something the rest of us don't?

this is a f2p game that means they can do something and 20 minutes later they are back at it if they are "pro" trollers they will get a new ip and make new accounts and new email within minutes of a ban.
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Where is STO's in-game GM and community management team? Bueller? :confused:

Someone has been spoofing poor @olivia211 for months. According to her hundreds of tickets have been filed and emails have been sent to numerous people at Cryptic about this clear harrassment/TOS violation, but with no response.

GM tickets get looked at approximately 6 to 8 months after they were initially filed, and usually come with a macro response that has nothing to do with your original issue.

EXAMPLE (this is not a real ticket):

HELP! I materialized inside ESD in the form of my ship, and all of my icons to beam back out are greyed out! I'm stuck in the floor!

RESPONSE (6 months later):

Thank you for playing Star Trek Online. We realize that sometimes, learning to play the game can be challenging, and we're here to help. To equip and use a Large Hypo, click your character sheet and drag the hypo from your inventory window to an available device slot...

(ticket is then closed by GM)
  • ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We kicked and banned the real saint olivia from trade channel for inappropriate behavior and names calling few months ago. Its a free mmo but conversations are degrading with each month. STO have far worst community out there with lots of sick ppl.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thank you for keeping the peace BlueGeek.

I can confirm that an elite strike force of Devs, led by CaptainGeko, is working on a solution to this issue, and I trust that they will find a solution as soon as they can. They are already looking into the problem, and hope to have and update for you soon on the solution.

I'd like to send that team a thank you on behalf of the CM team, as well as on the players who have been hoping for a solution to this issue.

We hope to bring you more updates to address in-game settings soon, but in the meantime, please help us out with patience as the team looks into how to address this best. You have already waited for a long while, and for that we thank you.

Keep your eye on the upcoming patch notes for additional updates on this.

Thanks again for the reports everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

"an elite strike force of Devs, led by CaptainGeko". Someone stop him. He's gonna frak everything up again!
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    GM tickets get looked at approximately 6 to 8 months after they were initially filed, and usually come with a macro response that has nothing to do with your original issue.

EXAMPLE (this is not a real ticket):

HELP! I materialized inside ESD in the form of my ship, and all of my icons to beam back out are greyed out! I'm stuck in the floor!

RESPONSE (6 months later):

Thank you for playing Star Trek Online. We realize that sometimes, learning to play the game can be challenging, and we're here to help. To equip and use a Large Hypo, click your character sheet and drag the hypo from your inventory window to an available device slot...

(ticket is then closed by GM)

Most accurate response in the thread. GM support in STO is horrific, and even if English isn't their first language, they get snippy with you when you insist they didn't solve the issue. Or they just tell you "too bad" and close the ticket anyway.
    ragnar0x wrote: »
    We kicked and banned the real saint olivia from trade channel for inappropriate behavior and names calling few months ago. Its a free mmo but conversations are degrading with each month. STO have far worst community out there with lots of sick ppl.

Please don't **** up the thread with pointless e-drama. :rolleyes:
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited December 2014

And here I thought she was a Saint! :O
  • donovichiedonovichie Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I usually find the fake saint olivia person queing for undine infiltration elite difficulty from time to time, usually sitting back at first and then cover shielding entries and such, he used to be called Sudok Medik then changed his name to Saint Olivia "@dancool21" I believe, I've reported him before for trolling in a pve's, wish we had a group kick option, then again that may pose disaster as well..
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Nobody cares. Quit derailing the thread.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited December 2014
    rob2485 wrote: »
    HOLIDAYS? What a load of BS. This has been going on for 2 years at least, non stop. I send tickets and they do nothing.

I send tickets with screen shots and they blatantly ignore me. Obviously they don't care about this TRIBBLE otherwise they would do something. Don't give this TRIBBLE about multiple accounts would need to be tracked down. They have all the data they need in the logs they just need to investigate and ban the accounts.

they had no trouble taking away Specialization points after DR due to exploits and then they decided to give back most of the points.

If they can do that then they can easily track down the spam. They just choose to ignore it. There are 3 websites selling in game TRIBBLE outside the game. Simple solution to the websites is to whois search them, notify the web hosts about copyright infringement and the sites will be shutdown almost immediately because it is violation of most web hosting policies.

Bashing this against me aint gonna do anything, I'm not a Cryptic devoloper nor a Perfect World employee, telling me the obvious aint gonna do you good. Im just another gamer like you. All I did in my responce, was try to answer what I knew from what the devs have already said…

With that said, can we move on? I learned to move on with this issue a long time ago...
  • cromarty1cromarty1 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2014

this is why people are quiting in mass thay make a changes add a feature allways something that helps a small percentage of players the top spenders at the expense of all the rest then as soon as the server crashes so does the player base then those rich people that just dumped a grand get made that suddenly hardly enyone to play with and one of them go bat****e crazy and send a server cooling bug virus to kill the game
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Please don't **** up the thread wth pointless e-drama. :rolleyes:

When you see a post by sekritagent you know what quality you are going to get. Please leave the forums alone.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starswordc wrote: »

Originally Posted by ragnar0x View Post

Nobody cares. Quit derailing the thread.

I'm afraid you're wrong there. Curious as to the reason personally.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Are you serious?

You are aware that there are chat settings that show you the @name of the person posting in the chat channels?

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that the idiot impersonating other players and spamming for the purpose of ruining their reputation every single day has gone unpunished for months.

I find people do a lot of complaining but dont take the appropriate actions. I play this game too a lot like hours per day (i have pretty much retired at this point so i have more spare time on my hands). I go to the same places everyone else does and see the same things everyone else does.

How come I dont see all these things considering the hours I have been playing. I see gold farmers but not always the same ones .. I can only surmise that in fact they are being dealt with because otherwise the names and accounts and @handles would not change, but they are ..
  • amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wait, you considered that response an "answer"? That was a political response! It was a lot of words that said absolutely nothing!

"Hi, yeah, we have some people that'll do something about it REAL soon."

That's a politician's response.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    One of the biggest downsides of STO as a game is the almost total lack of Moderation and enforcement of in game rules.

I'm not sure why this is, it might be a funding issue with having enough staff, but it's highly noticeable. You will see things in this MMO that you would never see in other games. The biggest example is ESD. Almost all the zone chat in ESD violates every term of service you can imagine. All the talk there is nothing but people attacking each others religions, politics, and spewing racist comments left and right.

It's been out of control for months. It's a shame that it has to be that way, my standard practice anytime I go to ESD is to automatically hide my chat window. The only reason I go there right now is to access Q to get to the Wonderland. I generally go to Starbase 39 for most of my required needs since I can go there without having to put up with racist hate speech.

Between that and all the spammers and repeat offenders like the Olivia clone, it casts the game in a negative light which is a shame.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This games is pretty much the wild west when it comes to trolls. And the sheriff is not in town.
    You can make the most offensive character, have a bot spam the most offensive thing, and throw random invite/whatever to troll the maximum number of people, and you can totally get away with it.
    You'll be able to do that for months, and if you are lucky, you might never be banned.
    Heck, you can even come on the forum to gloat about it, you only risk a forum ban. Big deal, right ?

For the fake olivia, smirk, and another dev I think, can't remember which one, said they are taking the matter in their own hands.
    That was about a month ago.

And this guy is not annoying for just olivia and her fleet, he is a nuisance for a lot of people absolutely not concerned by his childish vendetta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll be honest, I troll a lot on STO. I definitely speak my mind far more plainly and openly than I do on other games, and frequently mess around and say stupid stuff.

Why? Because I know there will be zero response for it, and because the game is already a cesspool anyway. I feel absolutely confident that I can say/do whatever I want, and the worst that will happen is some people might put me on ignore.
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Just to clear up the OPs confusion, I don't handle any of the issues in-game. That is handled by our Customer Service GMs.

Correct way to address this problem:
    If anyone is having issues in-game with chat or invites, that must be handled by an in-game ticket filed thru the in-game interface, which is handled by a completely different team from the Community Team.

Incorrect way that will lead nowhere with your issue:
    Going onto Twitter to spam the devs or myself about in-game behavior or issues, and/or coming into the forums to say we are asleep at the wheel.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle! :)

~CaptainSmirk
This discussion has been closed.