test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

While STO is down...

herachristherachrist Member Posts: 39 Arc User
...go watch Marco Polo on Netflix.

Seriously.

I just finished binge-watching the 10-episode series over three nights, and it was AWESOME. It's about Marco Polo's time in the court of Kublai Khan, where he's kept initially against his will but eventually becomes a friend and trusted advisor to the Khan. The first season is set against the backdrop of Kublai's desire to conquer southern China, which is protected by a walled city that has withstood Mongolian assaults for 70 years.

Reportedly, Netflix spent $90 million on the first season, and it shows in the fantastic production values, the beautiful costumes, the stunning sets, and the incredibly talented cast.

Inevitably this series will be compared to Game of Thrones, which I think is a bit unfair, but even when compared to the best show on television, Marco Polo still looks good. It has brutal battle scenes, awesome Hong Kong cinema-style kung fu, an evil and hilariously insulting villain, and absolutely gorgeous leading ladies.

Somehow I missed all the marketing and promo for this show, and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it was already released earlier this month and all the episodes are available. Of course, I'm not entirely altruistic when recommending Marco Polo...I want it to be popular because I want them to make a season 2! :D (And with something this expensive, it has to be popular to justify another season.)

Go watch it and let's discuss the awesomeness of that series!!!
Post edited by herachrist on

Comments

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will second the above. It is spectacular. It also has a Star Trek connection - Joan Chen! :D
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    zeven2004zeven2004 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I binge watched it too and really enjoyed it. One thing I enjoyed was the music - particularly the scenes in camp the night before battle which actually showed the musicians. Those dudes have some very 'unique' voices. :)
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    zeven2004 wrote: »
    I binge watched it too and really enjoyed it. One thing I enjoyed was the music - particularly the scenes in camp the night before battle which actually showed the musicians. Those dudes have some very 'unique' voices. :)
    I haven't seen it (guess I should join the 21st century and get a Netflix sub) but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they were Tuvan throat singers?
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    albinovampire987albinovampire987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I watched it, it was pretty good. Though there was a whole lot of "america's former president."

I'm talkin' 'bout Bush.
    Galactic Horde.
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Get back to Argala and grind slaves. That dilithium aint going to farm itself...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    zeven2004 wrote: »

The Tuvan throat singing :D

That was spectacular! I loved that scene, with Prince Jingim sitting down with the musicians and closing his eyes for a moment of peace before the battle.

I think Benedict Wong, who plays Kublai Khan, deserves some serious recognition and awards for his role. The dude has an aura and physical presence that very, very few actors can project. I could not believe this was the same guy who played Trey in Sunshine and the bit part of a pilot in Prometheus.

And Chin Han as Jia Sidao was phenomenal. Not only was he a badass on a personal level, with his lethal praying mantis kung fu, but he was also hilarious in the way he insulted Khan's envoys and other people.

"Praying mantis kung fu...a CURIOUS HOBBY?!?!" Haha, you guys who have watched it know what scene I'm talking about. His scenes with Hundred Eyes and Vice Chancellor Yusuf were highlights.

And then of course, Zhu Zhu as the Blue Princess, Claudia Kim as Khutulun, and Olivia Cheng as Min Wei...so many gorgeous women it's difficult to concentrate.

The only thing I don't like is how some critics seem to have piled on because it's showing Asian history through the eyes of a white guy (Polo). Well, duh. It's highly dramatized, but it's based on the experiences of the very first European to spend extensive time in the Khanate, and the first to actually report what he saw and record it for history. Polo wasn't the first European to spend time in Asia, but he was the first European to be a member of the Khan's court, and to describe everything he saw there in detail. Besides, what other major American production has a cast that's 95% Asian, with every major role except one filled by an Asian actor?

I really hope it gets a second season and enjoys GoT-like popularity because it deserves it.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I haven't seen it (guess I should join the 21st century and get a Netflix sub) but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they were Tuvan throat singers?

And here I thought you were going to post this.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I watched it, it was pretty good. Though there was a whole lot of "america's former president."

I'm talkin' 'bout Bush.

That one scene with Min Wei fighting nude was off the hook!! I'll admit I wasn't thinking about choreography when I watched the scene the first time...or the first five times lol...but that was some awesome Hong Kong-style action and one of the most memorable scenes in any TV series. I won't say more to avoid spoilers, but WOW!!! :D
  • Options
    captiancoppscaptiancopps Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Get back to Argala and grind slaves. That dilithium aint going to farm itself...

If you are doing Argala for dilithium, you are doing it wrong.

And for other fun, check this out:
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    James Bond: Doctor No...

3 Blind mice...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sharahisabithsharahisabith Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wtf wtf is the server down again? what the freaking point of yesterday if they r just gonna freaking bring it down again today as well. wtf do they always do it during my freaking only times i can play. do this TRIBBLE at 7 am my time ffs u jerks!!!!!!!!!!!!!