test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beaming to a Location Alone?

Is it possible to turn off the prompt to select an away team when moving to a new map? I want the player to go somewhere alone.
Post edited by executiveone on

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, right now there's no way to control the size of your away team.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, no. Kirkfat managed to get your away team to fall through the floor or something in "Relics", but there's no way to actually control away team size.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is it possible to turn off the prompt to select an away team when moving to a new map? I want the player to go somewhere alone.
    One day, hopefully…
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Sorry, no. Kirkfat managed to get your away team to fall through the floor or something in "Relics", but there's no way to actually control away team size.

It was a bug of sorts. I had the initial spawn point set on a floor that disappeared later in the mission. The pathing for the boffs (theoretically) adjusts their spawn location to the closest point on a map that will be ever present. For my mission, the boffs spawn on a bench that traps them in the holodeck section of the map.

I can't reproduce it though. It was something that affected my contest entry post-publish, and I had to rewrite part of the mission to compensate for the fact that my boffs didn't beam down with the player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Is this the part where the devs chime in and tell us they're working with basically the same Foundry restrictions as us?
  • Options
    avengerctc25avengerctc25 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Bummer, I've been working on my first mission for about a week now, and the first part of the story was supposed to make you beam down alone and unarmed, and then other npcs help you fight for awhile.....guess I will wait before publishing for while to see if those options become available.
  • Options
    khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Bummer, I've been working on my first mission for about a week now, and the first part of the story was supposed to make you beam down alone and unarmed, and then other npcs help you fight for awhile.....guess I will wait before publishing for while to see if those options become available.

I'm finding in playing these missions that a tool the authors employ is a simple dialog note instructing the player to set an out-of-the-way rally point for the away team, while also instructing them to go passive. One could additionally advise the player to unequip his/her weapons, either before the map transition or after. An honor-system of sorts. It's not a perfect solution, but it should serve as a good placeholder so you can go ahead and complete your Foundry mission. I cannot see the abilities you seek (and I agree they'd be preferable) being implemented anytime soon.
  • Options
    avengerctc25avengerctc25 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    khreg wrote: »
    I'm finding in playing these missions that a tool the authors employ is a simple dialog note instructing the player to set an out-of-the-way rally point for the away team, while also instructing them to go passive. One could additionally advise the player to unequip his/her weapons, either before the map transition or after. An honor-system of sorts. It's not a perfect solution, but it should serve as a good placeholder so you can go ahead and complete your Foundry mission. I cannot see the abilities you seek (and I agree they'd be preferable) being implemented anytime soon.

Thanks I'll probably do that then, though I don't know how to make npcs friendly and follow you yet... Anyone know if that is possible?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks I'll probably do that then, though I don't know how to make npcs friendly and follow you yet... Anyone know if that is possible?
    Nope. Obviously Cryptic can do it, but not us.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For "skycastles" (i.e. fully custom interiors built in midair on an outdoor ground map), there is a way to have the player ditch his/her BOffs semi-permanently, or at least for the duration of the map:

1) Add dialogue instructions to the player to set a rally point somewhere behind your spawn point.
    2) Put two reach markers in the path you intend the player to travel, so that their leading edges are only about 5 meters apart.
    3) Set up the first reach marker to drop the section of floor out from underneath where the BOffs are rallied. (You may also want to have it spawn an invisi-wall behind the player at the same time, in order to idiot-proof the map against the player wandering back into the temporary abyss you just created.)
    4) Set up the second reach marker to replace the section of floor you just dropped out, and to drop the invisi-wall if you put one there. Once the player walks over both these reach markers, then if s/he turns around the BOffs will no longer be there.
    5) (optional): If you're really in an evil mood and want to make damn sure the player's BOffs don't come back, you can also put an EV-suit volume on the ground of the original map, directly beneath where you dropped out the floor of your skycastle. Then when the BOffs land there, even if they survive the fall, unless they're wearing EV suits they will soon suffocate and die.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    NOTE: If the player ever respawns their boffs will spawn next to them, so separating them from the player may only be temporary if there is combat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg