What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bring back exploration clusters!

124»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    on the other hand if I wanted to roleplay I'd go roleplay... or play in/with the foundy. if I'm gonna make up my own stories may as well share em.

if exploration ever comes back I'd prefer they take a season, or better yet an expansion and set up a system for players to make a, as in one per character, colony. preferable with semi random environments. with missions, both playable and doff, requiring people to trade and help each other.

That would be fun. It is about time where we had content where we actually feel like Fleet Admirals.
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    on the other hand if I wanted to roleplay I'd go roleplay... or play in/with the foundy. if I'm gonna make up my own stories may as well share em.

if exploration ever comes back I'd prefer they take a season, or better yet an expansion and set up a system for players to make a, as in one per character, colony. preferable with semi random environments. with missions, both playable and doff, requiring people to trade and help each other.

So you have no interest in "Role Playing", fine. Why would you work against those who do?
    No one was forced to do these missions, why would others enjoying them impact you? :confused:

A system as you desire would be great, but what are the odds of that happening in comparison
    to "resurrecting" an existing system?

BCW. :)
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    That would be fun. It is about time where we had content where we actually feel like Fleet Admirals.

sadly if it worked the way I wanted people would hate it, almost no rewards besides a few uniforms and maybe the ability to recruit and sell delta race boffs for at least a month or twos play with no paying shortcuts or sponsoring alts... it's probably a good thing I don't work for cryptic.
    So you have no interest in "Role Playing", fine. Why would you work against those who do?
    No one was forced to do these missions, why would others enjoying them impact you? :confused:

A system as you desire would be great, but what are the odds of that happening in comparison
    to "resurrecting" an existing system?

BCW. :)

I didn't say I had no interest in roleplaying I'd said if thats what I wanted to be doing I'ld be doing that not exploring. and I give it even odds. cryptic rarely adds things back in. they make new systems more often.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Remember, if it's fun, then it's a bug. You must report bugs.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The randomly generated content has to improve, of course. cryptic, unfortunately, completely abandoned their Genesis system for some reason. The stale content we had is, however, no reason to claim this can't work with a proper system with more variables, branching missions, more variables.
    Yeah.... the problem is that this means rebuilding the missions from scratch. Genesis is not and never was a part of the game engine. It was a tool the devs used to create randomized missions. From what I've heard, the random maps often needed a lot of patch work to make them actually playable. The result was several thousand missions, which apparently took a matter of months to create.

I like the idea of making them more complex, but I can understand why the devs didn't. It tends to create random idiocy, like the Third Borg Dynasty.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    THe branching idea is really good, though it still needs some sort of relevant inplementation into the universe. Pockets in space with "anomalies" that turn into star systems isn't something that is in any way engaging.

Now cryptic has a technology to do "random" story content: FOUNDRY

An a system for paying us to developed content for their own game or do you and Cryptic expect us to produce free content for Star trek online?
  • fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah.... the problem is that this means rebuilding the missions from scratch. Genesis is not and never was a part of the game engine. It was a tool the devs used to create randomized missions. From what I've heard, the random maps often needed a lot of patch work to make them actually playable. The result was several thousand missions, which apparently took a matter of months to create.

I like the idea of making them more complex, but I can understand why the devs didn't. It tends to create random idiocy, like the Third Borg Dynasty.

You wonder why they would even add Borg as a word to the Genesis engine in the first place. They could have stuck dozens of races names in there but excluded the main ones such as the Klingons, Borg, Romulans.

Plus they could have developed the genesis engine further so it generated missions without so many bugs.
    edited December 2014
    fireseeed wrote: »
    Plus they could have developed the genesis engine further so it generated missions without so many bugs.

But that would have taken a lot of time away from developing content that was desperately needed in the game. Cryptic had less than 2 years to develop the game before launch and it shows.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2014

The Borg dynasty is a perfect example of how much this system was neglected - why have "Borg" in the random name generator to begin with? Nobody ever paid muc attention to the system, yet it was a main selling point. If they had whole-arsed the thing it could and still has enough potential to make an interesting game. Half-arsing stuff, though, doesn't get you far.

I don't want to play down the effort something like this takes. I am well aware it takes work - that's a developers job, mind you. But since the initial release nobody touched that system ever again. Why? In five years?
    But that would have taken a lot of time away from developing content that was desperately needed in the game. Cryptic had less than 2 years to develop the game before launch and it shows.

This here is sad and true. It still shows exactly what parts were rushed, were resources were missing. To this day, you can put your claw right onto the spot that was rushed/neglected and they never filled the gaping holes. They just kept painting around the spots that needed fresh paint.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Play Lemmings, whining is not only allowed you get a gold star for making funny noises.

But as far as clusters go, it's called DR now, recycled space ... haha

:P :DOr has anyone been paying attention to the Cluster/DR joke. :D :P
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Why does everyone want to sit behind a desk reading the reports of captains out having adventures?

Kirk said it himself, " Well let me tell you something. Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference."
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014

The portion of STO that did the Exploration Clusters was supposed to be a big deal. A part of the game that made new content each time for the player. I remember the devs back then being very proud of it.

But as you said, STO very little development time and it showed quite badly. It took ages to make it more passable.

The Exploration Clusters needed fixing, refinement. Cryptic never really pushed for that. So they just removed it.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited December 2014
    The portion of STO that did the Exploration Clusters was supposed to be a big deal. A part of the game that made new content each time for the player. I remember the devs back then being very proud of it.

But as you said, STO very little development time and it showed quite badly. It took ages to make it more passable.

The Exploration Clusters needed fixing, refinement. Cryptic never really pushed for that. So they just removed it.

I consider the time between launch and LoR to be paid beta due to it being the point where Klingons actually being a faction. If Cryptic did the smart thing and not have a Klingons as a pvp faction until Klingons were ready, then it would have had a much shorter time being in paid beta.
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well. I know that I am part of a minority (?) again (??) but I really enjoyed the Exploration clusters a lot. I don't know why because they were vere repetitive but also quite enjoyable. Not knowing how the planet looks like or if your "just" have to scan things or if you "just" have to fight things or even if the genesis random planet even works.
    It might sound odd but this "unknown" thingy was the greatest entertainment for me personally.

On the other hand I get my dillithium these days by playing foundry mission which are also on a... let's say... thin line between entertaining or boring or even broken (which Exploration cluster mission were sometime... sometimes)

:-)
  • greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    yeah looks like our doffs have all the fun

I need something else besides endless grinding queues because there is simply nothing else to do but those
    foundry is ok I guess but most foundry missions are bland in a way and they don't give a sense of exploration

I don't know why they removed the clusters anyway, they had potential in there, just not enough ideas, like locating abandoned ships and retrieving cargo and rare items, or following clues about ancient forgotten civs
    I guess its easier to spit out a few new queues and ships once in a while and call it a game
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    At least the exploration clusters allowed you to blast away enemies and was a good testing ground for new ship loadouts and ground weapons.

theres loads of foundry missions that cover this nicely, not to mention all the other stuff in sto that is ideal for this kind of thing like 'aiding the deferi' for example.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Don't necro 6 month old threads.

that a forum rule?

thread wasn't closed and you're not Stalin or Kim..... or are you?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    If a thread hasn't been posted in for over a month, it is considered dead. Posting after that 30 day inactivity period is considered Necro Posting.

Basic rule of thumb is if the subject is dead, just start a new thread rather than post in the dead one, as it will be closed by Mods instead of being addressed or discussed. So it is always a good idea to check the date of the last post before posting in a thread.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Would be easier to set an auto-lock for 30 day old or older threads.

Oh and REMOVE THE FARKING WAIT TIMERS...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's funny how people are quick to quote the rules in order to tell off people but 'forget' that the proper course of action is to report a rules violation to the mods rather than be backseat mods themselves.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    stofsk wrote: »
    It's funny how people are quick to quote the rules in order to tell off people but 'forget' that the proper course of action is to report a rules violation to the mods rather than be backseat mods themselves.

Maybe people prefer to inform people to avoid someone simply unfamiliar with the rules to get into actual moderation troubles with infractions or bans or what not?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited June 2015
    Maybe people prefer to inform people to avoid someone simply unfamiliar with the rules to get into actual moderation troubles with infractions or bans or what not?
    Maybe, but my point still stands.
    edited June 2015
    That some people aren't tattletales over minor issues? The guy wasn't cussing, spouting hate speech, racial slurs, or making death threats.
    Good. So quit it with the backseat moderating.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    stofsk wrote: »
    Good. So quit it with the backseat moderating.

What?!?! You want to take away people's self-made podiums from which they love to pontificate from?!? BLASPHEMY!!! ;)