test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bring back exploration clusters!

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    [snip]
    I don't think the problem was exploration cluster removal themselves, but rather they weren't replaced with anything. We can agree on that at least?

In a perfect and ideal world, what should have happened is that STF's would have been reworked to offer different outcomes, much alike the fleet alert. Each time you play that, you're facing a different opposition, and that's something they (Cryptic) should have taken into other STF's.

Lets take Khitomer Vortex for example; instead of always having a Cube to destroy first, we should instead have a variety of assimilated ships that rotate; sometimes it's assimilated Klingons, other times Cardassians etc. Likewise, at the end, instead of another cube showing up, they should rotate the last ship with an Undine Dreadnought, a Tholian Dreadnought or Voth Citadel ship etc; just something to shake the STF's up whilst offering the same end result.

The same can be said for many other STF's, and quite frankly, they (the STF's) could do with reducing. There's far too many of them now and there are some that just aren't liked. I know the queues are a mess right now anyway, but I'd much rather see a small collection of awesome STF's compared to a large collection of mediocre ones.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    robert359 wrote: »
    And I disagree, with some of this.

I didn't think the randomly generated stuff was boring. I think doing the same STF is.

I do agree with you story argument. The written stories with the morals and ethical issues is good for episode content and the random stuff for the exploration clusters. Why can't we have both?

Overlap in resources. While the story mission team will require not exactly the same people as a generic-random exploration team, the overlap is naturally significant. Artists, writers (the text for the 3rd Dynasty didn't write itself!), tech. And so if I have to choose, it's story mission every time.

That said. In the end it's up to Cryptic. And if they think that a randomized exploration system can serve the game well and generate "pseudo"-content (similar to repeated STF runs for example) that can attract and bind players, then they should get to work on it. I hope their second attempt will be better than the first. And it may in fact be so - because otherwise, they could just have never created the original missions in the first place.

I think what they probably need on the "tech side" of things is something that can procedurally generate missions more or less on the fly. The original Genesis system did create all those countless of maps once, and they stayed in the game forever (well, until they were removed in Season 9.5). It was not maintainable and presumable also cost a lot of storage space. As I understand it, the Foundry still works pretty similar to this.

But creating a system that can procedurally create missions on the fly without costing too much computing power and without creating a broken map... That's non-trivial.

Maybe they should actually aim "lower" Not that this would satisfy everyone that wants exploration back. But maybe what they actually need is a dialog-sequence generator that maybe is rounded off with a few duty officer missions. Everything else happens aboard your ship, perhaps, as you order your away team from space (purely in fiction, you don't actually get to see any of it or steer NPCs around.)

Mustrum's Light Weight/Low Ambition Exploration System that Utilizes Bridges:
    Interaction point with the exploration system would be the old exploration cluster nebulas. You move into Sector Space on them, and press the "Explore Button". That takes you to your bridge.

There, the bridge crew will make reports on activities on. You interact with crew members on the bridge or with consoles on the bridge. (That means that for all of the bridge maps, certain interaction points will need to be defined generically. E:g. "Computer Console 1 sits here on Origin, and here on the TOS Bridge, Navigation Console is here on the Voyager bridge, there on the Undine Bioship and so on).

At some key points, you may send off an away team. There might be a special "away team picker" interface for exploration missions where you have to select a suitable away team based on required skill sets. It may be a standard Duty Officer Assignment, though I'd prefer if you could also select a Bridge Officer for these tasks. (What's a mission without your First Officer?). Maybe it would be a mix - pick from the required BO specialities, and then one or two DOFFs suitable for the task at hand.

At certain key points in the narrative of the exploration mission, cut scenes may be (possibly optionally triggered because once you've seen them all, do you really want to see them again?) to see an alien planetary landscape or to see a particular space environment. But you don't get to really interact with it, since creating actual mission maps would require storing them all and ensuring that they can be physically traversed without any problems, which costs a lot of development and Q&A time.

To avoid easy-grindability with some fancy scripting, the missions may contain puzzle elements that can "fail", so less rewards are generated then if the mission is completed successfully. (For example, picking the best BOs and DOFF could be part of the puzzle. If there is a medical emergency, sending more science officers will be important, and the like.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I don't think the problem was exploration cluster removal themselves, but rather they weren't replaced with anything. We can agree on that at least?

Well sure ... I guess ... I would take "Clusters 2.0" over "Clusters 1.0" everyday ...
    In a perfect and ideal world, what should have happened is that STF's would have been reworked to offer different outcomes, much alike the fleet alert. Each time you play that, you're facing a different opposition, and that's something they (Cryptic) should have taken into other STF's.

Hmmm ... I dunno ... not really ... it's still the same outcome (-> shoot stuff, with different skin - see DR Patrols) ... imagine there was some DR - Patrol which "could" turn into some kind of "First-Contact" - Mission ... then I would be happy to "agree" ...
    Overlap in resources. While the story mission team will require not exactly the same people as a generic-random exploration team, the overlap is naturally significant. Artists, writers (the text for the 3rd Dynasty didn't write itself!), tech. And so if I have to choose, it's story mission every time.

Yeah ... because that's not what already happened in DR, anyway ... ?
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ...they were removed to make space for new content...

If you can't see the sheer idiocy of this - then you, just as Cryptic, are beyond salvage.

P.S. FYI, this was one of the more blatant lies stated by them I've seen around here. It was all about nerfing the open access to R&D mats and their collective lazyness. Plain and simple. Even my cat knows it.
    Players getting lost and the game being too big to download....:rolleyes: LMAO!!!:D :P Good one, Cryptic.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They probably "could" ... but I seriously doubt they have the manpower to do so ... remember : "Your Local Starbucks" ... get real -> First Step : Try to collect all data from all players, by yourself ... assuming Cryptic would have such an "Metrics Expert", which they probably don't even have ...

i am sure they have access to software that can tell them all this information and more but you dont even need that, all you have to do is poll the map and check the number of instaces that have been created over the last month when you get back a figure of zero instaces and the same for the month previous and the one before that you can get a rough idea that the zone is not being used.

even i today checked out the winter zone and found over 40 highly populated instances on the go and then went to new romulus and found only 2 sparcly populated instances in use so ok the winter zone is much more popular at the moment then new rom, shock horror.
    but if i can do this without any software at all dont you think that cryptic can track how many instances of a map have been created and how many players have been there as far back as they care to.
    if you think they cant you are fooling yourself.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited December 2014
    i am sure they have access to software that can tell them all this information and more but you dont even need that, all you have to do is poll the map and check the number of instaces that have been created over the last month when you get back a figure of zero instaces and the same for the month previous and the one before that you can get a rough idea that the zone is not being used.

even i today checked out the winter zone and found over 40 highly populated instances on the go and then went to new romulus and found only 2 sparcly populated instances in use so ok the winter zone is much more popular at the moment then new rom, shock horror.
    but if i can do this without any software at all dont you think that cryptic can track how many instances of a map have been created and how many players have been there as far back as they care to.
    if you think they cant you are fooling yourself.

Well if they "could", I'm not sure why they would rely on "Surveys" & "Ingame Discussions" concerning certain "Exploits" etc ... again the Software etc might exist, but you'd still need someone to operate it ... I seriously doubt they have anyone actually playing the game, checking "New Romulus" & "Winter Wonderland" Zones etc ...
    edited December 2014
    Well if they "could", I'm not sure why they would rely on "Surveys" & "Ingame Discussions" concerning certain "Exploits" etc ... again the Software etc might exist, but you'd still need someone to operate it ...

manpower one man sitting at a terminal could probably get this information in seconds and he would not need to be a "Metrics Expert" to do it either.
    oh i need this information, oh no one arround never mind i`ll get it myself.

edited December 2014
    manpower one man sitting at a terminal could probably get this information in seconds and he would not need to be a "Metrics Expert" to do it either.
    oh i need this information, oh no one arround never mind i`ll get it myself.

Assuming that's correct ... who would that be ... the fact that they would actually "need" this information, is still just your assumption btw ...
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    [snip
    I suspect to enable what you desire, a new mechanic would need to be implemented in the game, one that isn't likely to happen anytime soon. That said, taking the old cluster assignments as they were, I'd rather have nothing than them. They were only ever an irritation to me; I cared only for the doff missions, and had to enter a different zone each time, whereas now, all I need to do is fly to an interactive point.

Back to Exploration 2.0 though, obviously STF's are for people that want to blow **** up - though STF's could still do with some variation amongst them. I suspect what we also need though, as mentioned above, is something else, maybe ETF's (exploration task force?)

A bunch of repeatable missions (with good rewards) that have random results within them. Lets say you enter a system with five interactive sections on a map, one presents a threat that you deal with, one represents a trade that you must successfully negotiate, and a third is some sort of multi-option rescue, and the other two, something else.

You need to complete at least three of these sections to complete the ETF, completing all five is essentially the same as completing an optional in an STF, and thus rewards you with more. The interactive points change dependent on ETF, and the options you're presented with always change depending on the order in which you access them, and with who you're dealing with (which species).

That way, it's rare you'd ever come across the same scenario too often (though obviously repeats are inevitable). It would have players think though about what they're doing, and would hopefully have them develop a better understanding of Trek.

Rewards can be the same as STF's (marks, dilithium and sometimes gear/R&D stuff), though the missions themselves wouldn't necessarily require high-end gear.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    edited December 2014
    Assuming that's correct ... who would that be ... the fact that they would actually "need" this information, is still just your assumption btw ...

but this is exacty the information they quoted when the removed them in the first place.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    robert359 wrote: »
    I am not saying it should be totally random. That is why the branching. One branch leads to 2 to 4 that relate to the previous branch.

Just like enemies you may face, one cluster could be limited to Klingon, Orion, and Gorn. While a different cluster would be limited to Talk Shiar, Hirogen, and Elachi.
    Hmm... yeah, that sounds like a good idea. It'd take a lot of development work though. But some of the more recent Cryptic missions work in much the same way.... so... maybe. BUT... to get it to work well, and avoid things like the Third Borg Dynasty, you can't make mission templates with a blank for the enemy name. You'd need to write out the full mission with that race in mind. But this cuts down on your ability to randomize it, since you have to do a different one for each race. Honestly.... I'm not sure how much randomization would be left after cutting out the dumb stuff. Since each of the possible mission paths needs to be written separately, you might as well make a mission template for each script variant. After that it's just a matter of using a different set.
    bioixi wrote: »
    I don't think there would be a problem with bringing them back, if you don't want to go there, then don't, it will be like deep space encounters, ignored by most people, but they don't harm anybody.

If they bring exploration clusters back, I think they should start a monthly foundry contest, were several foundry missions are added per month to the official exploration cluster mission pool.

Add a new foundry category, "exploration cluster contest", players should be able to decide if they want a mission to become part of the official exploration cluster pool by upvoting/downvoting a mission, every month a few become official missions.

Give some rewards to the authors to encourage the creation of this kind of missions and problem solved with minimal effort.
    Well, we already have the ability to use clusters as mission doors. Now we just need a function for pulling up a random mission when we go there.
    shpoks wrote: »
    It was all about nerfing the open access to R&D mats and their collective lazyness.
    They're just as easy to farm in story missions....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you can't see the sheer idiocy of this - then you, just as Cryptic, are beyond salvage.

P.S. FYI, this was one of the more blatant lies stated by them I've seen around here. It was all about nerfing the open access to R&D mats and their collective lazyness. Plain and simple. Even my cat knows it.
    Players getting lost and the game being too big to download....:rolleyes: LMAO!!!:D :P Good one, Cryptic.

And yet, you still get access to R&D mats in every storyline mission and every patrol mission, as well as in the PvE queues ...

Mind you, I'm not happy with the removal of the Exploration Clusters, either (as I think I made plain a page or two ago), but the unwarranted assumptions and intransigent conspiracy theories are not helpful.
    edited December 2014
    Back to Exploration 2.0 though, obviously STF's are for people that want to blow **** up - though STF's could still do with some variation amongst them. I suspect what we also need though, as mentioned above, is something else, maybe ETF's (exploration task force?)

A bunch of repeatable missions (with good rewards) that have random results within them. Lets say you enter a system with five interactive sections on a map, one presents a threat that you deal with, one represents a trade that you must successfully negotiate, and a third is some sort of multi-option rescue, and the other two, something else.

You need to complete at least three of these sections to complete the ETF, completing all five is essentially the same as completing an optional in an STF, and thus rewards you with more. The interactive points change dependent on ETF, and the options you're presented with always change depending on the order in which you access them, and with who you're dealing with (which species).

That way, it's rare you'd ever come across the same scenario too often (though obviously repeats are inevitable). It would have players think though about what they're doing, and would hopefully have them develop a better understanding of Trek.

Rewards can be the same as STF's (marks, dilithium and sometimes gear/R&D stuff), though the missions themselves wouldn't necessarily require high-end gear.

Well sounds all pretty good ... in theory, not gonna argue ... but cmon do you really expect something like this to happen ...

... so to be blunt, it comes down to :
    That said, taking the old cluster assignments as they were, I'd rather have nothing than them.

I disagree ... "something" is better "nothing" ... and it doesn't really "hurt" anyone ... and we're back to "Clusters didn't offer anything unique" ...
    edited December 2014
    but this is exacty the information they quoted when the removed them in the first place.

Source ? ... afaik they're removed because they were not "up to the standards" & "some people (=/= 95%) got lost" ... the whole, "because of Metrics" - Nonsense, on the other hand is "new", and started with DR ...
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Heres an idea to toss out there

why not have a revamp of the standard patrol missions you get a daily assignment to patrol certain sectors during said patrol you can wind up in either a first contact situation or a random battle.
    edited December 2014
    They're just as easy to farm in story missions....
    protogoth wrote: »
    And yet, you still get access to R&D mats in every storyline mission and every patrol mission, as well as in the PvE queues ...

Mind you, I'm not happy with the removal of the Exploration Clusters, either (as I think I made plain a page or two ago), but the unwarranted assumptions and intransigent conspiracy theories are not helpful.

No they're not. Not even near the same pace and quantities that were obtainable via the clusters. Mind you, I'm not saying I agree with the pace and the comfort of obtaining lots of R&D mats that would occur if they were still around.

And 'conspiracy theories'? LOL :D Really? This is a 'conspiracy theory' for you? Nah, just using my brain to think for myself and not what someone tells me to. ;) You should try that too if you think the clusters were removed because "players got lost" or the "download size of the game is too big". LMAO :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited December 2014
    No they're not. Not even near the same pace and quantities that were obtainable via the clusters. Mind you, I'm not saying I agree with the pace and the comfort of obtaining lots of R&D mats that would occur if they were still around.

And 'conspiracy theories'? LOL :D Really? This is a 'conspiracy theory' for you? Nah, just using my brain to think for myself and not what someone tells me to. ;) You should try that too if you think the clusters were removed because "players got lost" or the "download size of the game is too big". LMAO :D
    Actually, yeah. They are. you just need to carefully choose which story mission you do. the uber-quick non-combat breen mission? 4 nodes. maybe 5 min of effort.

Like I said before, I've been particle hunting the entire time I've played the game, and I started in season 3.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2014
    Actually, yeah. They are. you just need to carefully choose which story mission you do. the uber-quick non-combat breen mission? 4 nodes. maybe 5 min of effort.

Like I said before, I've been particle hunting the entire time I've played the game, and I started in season 3.....

As oposed to flying around in a small square and just picking them up?
    Yeah, keep drinking the kool-aid. Everything is awesome! :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I disagree ... "something" is better "nothing" ... and it doesn't really "hurt" anyone ... and we're back to "Clusters didn't offer anything unique" ...

But Cryptic had to rescue all those players trapped in the Exploration Clusters.
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I miss the (old) exploration clusters too. Yes the generic missions wasn't the best. But the patrolls of Delta Rising are not the best too.

I hope we are get them back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    As oposed to flying around in a small square and just picking them up?
    Yeah, keep drinking the kool-aid. Everything is awesome! :rolleyes:
    "small square"? HAH! The box was as big as a regular sector block!

"just picking them up?" If the other players don't get them first. More often than not, you weren't alone.

Also, they didn't automatically respawn when collected. When someone tried to do hardcore farming the cluster would end up with a lot more systems than resource nodes. The cluster would start out with an even balance, but it wouldn't STAY that way.

And you couldn't tell from a distance which nodes are resource points and which were solar systems, you had to get close enough for the interact button to appear. Which sometimes meant flying around chasing ghosts.

I tried doing it the way you describe several times and it took too much time for it to really be worth it IMO. I found it faster to clear the system maps than to stay in deep space.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Yeah, no. I don't think that's why they were removed either. I think those were excuses which were included in the explanation, as additional considerations for removal. As I recall, the main reasons given were that they were allegedly unpopular and underused, and that they were not up to the standards of content which Cryptic and PWE want for the game. Of course, those things are true about quite a lot of remaining content as well, but that content is easier to fix than the content of the clusters, due to how they were designed and coded.
    edited December 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    Yeah, no. I don't think that's why they were removed either. I think those were excuses which were included in the explanation, as additional considerations for removal. As I recall, the main reasons given were that they were allegedly unpopular and underused, and that they were not up to the standards of content which Cryptic and PWE want for the game. Of course, those things are true about quite a lot of remaining content as well, but that content is easier to fix than the content of the clusters, due to how they were designed and coded.
    Most notably, the sheer number of the random cluster missions. There were literally THOUSANDS of them. Each one was small, but numbers like that add up fast.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I miss the (old) exploration clusters too. Yes the generic missions wasn't the best. But the patrolls of Delta Rising are not the best too.

I hope we are get them back.

Recovering 4th dynasty Borg artifacts was writing gold pressed latinum!
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I disagree. Randomly generated content is boring and lacks what Star Trek exploration stories really entailed. Star Trek explorations stories were (by the nature of the medium) always scripted, with moral and ethical dilemmas and what not. Unless you can find a way to generate procedurally, you'll have to rely on writers. And we're certainly not there yet to do it procedurally.

This is what the story (should) be about, as in featured episodes. The rest of the game, though, should consist of Starfleet duty, not the reenactment of a show. And as a Starfleet officer (or similiar) you were to continously explore random settings (that's what exploration in the literal sense means) alone or in a team, react to random elements and in the end maybe find some epic loot.

STO is not different from hack & slay games like diablo. Your character is simply maxed out at one point - everything that keeps you playing is randomly generated maps in which you test your gear and character and maybe get more lucky to further improve it. Along the road somewhere the story progresses with a scripted mission.

The randomly generated content has to improve, of course. cryptic, unfortunately, completely abandoned their Genesis system for some reason. The stale content we had is, however, no reason to claim this can't work with a proper system with more variables, branching missions, more variables.

For instance, you could get a first contact mission with a random alien generator species. Following that, however, you start a whole mini arc involving that species where you help them, defend them, train them, fortify them, whatever. Maybe another alen gen species can be introduced, the two argue, you start negotiating etc. pp.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sometimes they were more "Star Trek" than other missions.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As "Colonel" states above, add a bit of "Role Playing", and the clusters were a lot of fun.

BCW. :)
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As "Colonel" states above, add a bit of "Role Playing", and the clusters were a lot of fun.

BCW. :)

on the other hand if I wanted to roleplay I'd go roleplay... or play in/with the foundy. if I'm gonna make up my own stories may as well share em.

if exploration ever comes back I'd prefer they take a season, or better yet an expansion and set up a system for players to make a, as in one per character, colony. preferable with semi random environments. with missions, both playable and doff, requiring people to trade and help each other.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.