xbox one version

blackwind04xblackwind04x Member Posts: 89 Arc User
Make it happen
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    weirdtrekie30weirdtrekie30 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The technical problems of cross platforming with consoles are huge . . it's not something that's going to happen. Besides, the only way you can successfully control the game right now with a huge amount of fuss and work is keyboard+mouse, the controller input is a mess.
    Admiral Tuwud - High Commissioner, UFP Peace Corps Sigma Red
    logo%203.jpg?gid=272661&source=asset
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No point in doing this.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    considering that pw created a whole division of their company just to convert their computer games to consoles, and they've already doing it with nwns, sto probably isn't far behind.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That's if CBS goes along with it. PW can do whatever they like with their own titles but they don't have unlimited control of this one. I'm shuddering at the thought of the amount of dumbing down they would have to do to the game to make it work with one of those stupid little controllers. Yes you can use a controller with the game now but you still need a keyboard and mouse for a lot of stuff, take those away and see what little you can actually do with that controller by itself.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    pw doesn't own neverwinter either, but they got permission to do it. and cbs isn't generally shy of wanting to make more money; and i assume a new platform means more potential income from console users. i saw an ad with a connie made from christmas lights in it last week. something about beaming up the holiday sales.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hey nothing that these jokers do surprises me anymore so them porting to console to try and milk it for even more would be laughably typical, a really bad idea, but typical.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    NW already has a control setup that would be ideal for an XBone controller - very simplistic, yet you're not allowed to remap the buttons. STO's a little more complicated (not a lot more, mind you...).

The reason there's even any controller support at all in STO is a relic of the days when CO was supposed to be Marvel Online, cross-platform on PC and XBox, with Microsoft backing it too. Then Marvel pulled out so they could develop their own MMO (and eventually decided they wanted superpower Diablo), so Microsoft dropped the deal too. (That's part of why Cryptic purchased the Champions IP - so no one could take their game away again. They make a small amount of money leasing the PnP rights back to Hero Games.) The controllers had already been encoded into the engine, though.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    well i'm all for it. i live in the 21st century where i play far more games on my console, phone, and tablet then i do on my pc; on the order of 10 to 1.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Won't happen, just like there won't be a console version of SW:TOR and why they thought about it but did not bother with SWG. Too many buttons and commands.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    well i'm all for it. i live in the 21st century where i play far more games on my console, phone, and tablet then i do on my pc; on the order of 10 to 1.

And unless your PC is ancient, it can run circles around your phone, tablet and console.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    And unless your PC is ancient, it can run circles around your phone, tablet and console.
    my pc speed has nothing to do with preferring the convenience of my console and 60" screen, or phone and tablet when i'm on the go. there's a reason why there's 2 new star trek games coming out and they're not pc specific.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    And that's why we have end game Connie's and Android ship captains... oh wait we don't.
    protecting the integrity of your ip and expanding your platform are two different issues. and for all we know the only reason those things aren't in sto is because cbs said no unless cryptic wanted to pay more royalties to add them and cryptic didn't want to spend the cash.

cbs has no problem licensing new star trek games to expand their market. they have no problem with console games either. i doubt they have an issue with sto being on a console.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, but these guys don't even know how to work with game pads.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    my pc speed has nothing to do with preferring the convenience of my console and 60" screen, or phone and tablet when i'm on the go. there's a reason why there's 2 new star trek games coming out and they're not pc specific.

What you pay for in convenience you lose in performance and MMOs require more resources than most games out there. The same reason why I use a laptop when I am traveling for extended periods. My laptop can almost handle everything my desktop can, but my IPad can't. It's great for movies on a plane, some games and emails but after that it's pretty much out of schlitz.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    The console companies will want a cut of the profits for any games they allow to be used on their systems. They'll also want a cut of the zen sales.
    so? if you increase your market you have a chance of increasing your sales. like i said, they created a whole division of the company just to do this, and if nw takes off i think sto won't be far behind; especially since sto and nwns use the same basic engine.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Don't hold your breath waiting. People have been saying it's only a matter of time for 5 years.
    they just created the division last year. nwns has been on xbox for about 6 months in china, with the european version coming in the 1st q of 2015. they're already doing it with their other games. they didn't create the new division just to do nwns.

but what do you care if they do it to sto or not? it's not cryptic doing the work, so it's not taking people alway from making all these sto missions we're not getting. it's probably not going to be on the same servers, so you don't need to worry about console geeks getting in the way of your pc mmo experience. so why do you care what they do? if you don't use a console it doesn't affect you. for those of us who might like to play sto on a console it's a good deal.

you sound like the same people who said sto would never go ftp just because co did. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Who knows maybe they could make it wor.......no I'm sorry I just couldn't keep a straight face thinking of the bugs we've had to deal with and still have to deal with and them doing this to a console port, I just had this mental image of someone's Xbox spewing smoke from the vents. But whatever, hope springs eternal and all that rubbish.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Make it happen

Maybe if Cryptic was to revamp STO as STO 2 with an updated game engine it might happen if they deem there is a large enough potential player population. However, that means Cryptic will need to hire more people so that they can develop and maintain the game on two platforms.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Maybe if Cryptic was to revamp STO as STO 2 with an updated game engine it might happen if they deem there is a large enough potential player population. However, that means Cryptic will need to hire more people so that they can develop and maintain the game on two platforms.
    did you read any of this thread? :)
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    did you read any of this thread? :)

Reading is OP.

Please nerf.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Reading is OP.

Please nerf.
    short version then, pw has already done this with cryptic's neverwinter nights 6 months ago. they know what's entailed, and they did it using the same engine that nwns and sto share.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    Won't happen, just like there won't be a console version of SW:TOR and why they thought about it but did not bother with SWG. Too many buttons and commands.

Consoles use keyboard and mouse now
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    short version then, pw has already done this with cryptic's neverwinter nights 6 months ago. they know what's entailed, and they did it using the same engine that nwns and sto share.
    Point of order - Neverwinter Online. Neverwinter Nights was the (in my opinion, superior) PC game - single player, no online component, lots of user mods. NW is the one with the really terribad control scheme, in which you have to use both the mouse and the keyboard to move, with the attacks set to the mouse buttons, and no way to change it. It would work pretty well with a controller, actually.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Xbox is the best thing ever and the players love it. :cool:
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Make it happen

Waste of time asking, waste of time wanting, waste of time even thinking about it.

:D
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a huge investment to port a game to a different operating system, look at how long it took to get STO on Mac, and from what I know, it's really broken. I really doubt they'd see any return on investment, didn't Gecko say that Delta Rising was succesfull because players were spending more time in game, but not really because it got new players? Cryptic really doesn't advertise this game well, if at all, in my opinion. And I doubt the majority of us would go and switch to a console when we can just play on our PCs. So it wouldn't be cost effective for Cryptic.
    y1arXbh.png