test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I really don't "play" anymore

kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
Outside of doing the DR story line I don't think I've "played" STO for most of the past year and change. I pop in once at night and once in the morning to doff, convert dil, run delta rep, and sometimes the event, like the winter race (although I find I skip anything that takes more than 5 minutes). All I've done, and do now, is accumulate wealth. Millions of Dil and couple billion EC. I can do anything I want in the game but I don't want to. I'm really not fully sure why. The thrill is gone. I know when I started playing this game it felt Star Trekkie to me and I loved playing through all of the missions and exploring the maps and while there was Omega rep and things, it didn't feel like a chore. But I guess that's it, STO feels like a chore now. Everything is work not fun. I don't know how or if the fun can be brought back (maybe I just played too long) but I miss it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "FUN" was OP and got nerfed. ;)

Really, I think a lot of people have the same mood as you. That is to be expected. Doing something for a long time and repetitively does tend to bleed the fun out of it, even a loved experience.

I think that there is nothing that can bring that feeling back. They would have to revamp the entire game to bring back any semblance of "newness" and "excitement".

Telling you to take a break is problematical, as you may decide not to bother coming back, and even if you do come back you may find yourself so far behind the power curve this game has become to not even bother continuing.

When something becomes a chore instead of a rewarding hobby, it's time to "Let it Go."
    And letting go is hard, because of the time invested and remembrance of good times past.
    But eventually it happens.

Just remember though "Everything is Awesome!" *

*This phrase has been used so frequently and in so many instances where it does not apply, that it has come to mean exactly the opposite of what it literally says.
  • therinos25therinos25 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Outside of doing the DR story line I don't think I've "played" STO for most of the past year and change. I pop in once at night and once in the morning to doff, convert dil, run delta rep, and sometimes the event, like the winter race (although I find I skip anything that takes more than 5 minutes). All I've done, and do now, is accumulate wealth. Millions of Dil and couple billion EC. I can do anything I want in the game but I don't want to. I'm really not fully sure why. The thrill is gone. I know when I started playing this game it felt Star Trekkie to me and I loved playing through all of the missions and exploring the maps and while there was Omega rep and things, it didn't feel like a chore. But I guess that's it, STO feels like a chore now. Everything is work not fun. I don't know how or if the fun can be brought back (maybe I just played too long) but I miss it.[/QUOTE

There is always burn out in games especially online games. People expect them to hold their attention forever but it's just not going to to happen. If you're tired main game content try doing the foundry story arcs. They are generally made by star trek lovers and while they aren't perfect spelling they can be fun content to take part in.
  • lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2014

This! Definitely.
  • leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thank you for this statement. It's exactly what i feel.
    I did spend a lot (when not the most) of the time doffing and grinding marks, dill, exp and event stuff...altogether the most boring and stupid parts of the game, so that I stopped playing. Btw I can't stand to scroll the doff assignment lists over and over anymore. The most dumb robot/app could do this stupid repetitive procedure.

I think, this was done on purpose to hinders players from leaving, since they invested lot of work, time and especially money in their toons. They keep playing because of the refusal to realize, that it was all waste. Cognitive dissonance.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Outside of doing the DR story line I don't think I've "played" STO for most of the past year and change. I pop in once at night and once in the morning to doff, convert dil, run delta rep, and sometimes the event, like the winter race (although I find I skip anything that takes more than 5 minutes). All I've done, and do now, is accumulate wealth. Millions of Dil and couple billion EC. I can do anything I want in the game but I don't want to. I'm really not fully sure why. The thrill is gone. I know when I started playing this game it felt Star Trekkie to me and I loved playing through all of the missions and exploring the maps and while there was Omega rep and things, it didn't feel like a chore. But I guess that's it, STO feels like a chore now. Everything is work not fun. I don't know how or if the fun can be brought back (maybe I just played too long) but I miss it.

the fun in the game is working from nothing and making something from that nothing. ive learned that rich people can have what they like but get nothing out of it, some even start a destructive path of sleeping around, drug abuse and what no because they have no spark for anything any more, no purpose. thankfully when your just a little peon with not much value, there are a lot of things you can do, rather then looking at the easy path, you take on the hard path and spend it where ever you can and then try to find a way of getting some of that back. for someone like myself finding something from nothing is a perfectly good challenge and one i keep taking each time on mmo's. but i also know what its like on the otherside of that fence as well, and frankly i dont want to be there.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I hear ya, OP. Lately, it is difficult to work up the enthusiasm about nearly everything in the game. I DOff before I go to work and run a mission or two for Rep Marks when I come home. The most excited I have gotten lately is when I finished acquiring all of the WW costume items and snow weapons on all of my chars. I had not touched my Fed chars in weeks before this.

The most aggravating part of this is - I am a lifelong Star Trek fan, so I should be genetically predisposed to really enjoy STO. To the point where my family and friends perform an intervention to pull me away from the screen.

I certainly was this way prior to the release of DR. I could happily spend an entire weekend in front of my laptop wandering all around STO. Then, I ran into my very first Vaadwaur Heavy Artillery Ship with the gazillion HPs.

"Oops! It's a bug! Lemme just fix that for ya."

Next, I have to earn a gazillion XP to move the needle one mark on the scale. Okay, gonna take awhile. Run through Tau Dewa, go to Defera, clear the Feds out of Kahless Expanse, then run ten or eleven Argalas. So tallying up my score, I got twenty five XP. Wait...What?!

"No, that's working right. Oh, waitaminnit. We'll get right on that. There all fixed! Now you get fifty XP per mission! And now you need a gazillion and a half XP to move the needle. No need to thank us. We just want you to enjoy yourself."

I wander into an STF where there are hordes of NPCs and each of them has seventeen times (17x-The STO equivalent to the Mockingjay handsign, lol) the HP they used to have. Now the Optionals are mandatory but they're still called Optionals? If someone misses one we all get to fail the STF. On the rare occasion when we do succeed, we now get about half the reward we used to get. And the time it took us to earn this is about twice what it used to be.

"Hey, guys? How come none of you are playing the Ques? We made them more challenging just like you asked for. And we tweaked the rewards, too! We worked really hard on this! And if you don't play it, you're all just big meanies! Or smartass fourteen year olds!"

Delta Rising lacks a feeling of focus and polish. If anything it feels like Spiderman III. Somebody spent too much time trying to include too much stuff so none of the pieces got the individual attention they really deserve.

If the Devs want us to come out and play, they really have to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. So again OP, I hear ya. Loudly and clearly. I'm right there with ya, too. And from seeing Smirk asking players about empty Ques the other day, it appears others are beginning to hear you as well. Let us hope this will be the beginnings of changes around STO for the positive.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I hear ya, OP. Lately, it is difficult to work up the enthusiasm about nearly everything in the game. I DOff before I go to work and run a mission or two for Rep Marks when I come home. The most excited I have gotten lately is when I finished acquiring all of the WW costume items and snow weapons on all of my chars. I had not touched my Fed chars in weeks before this.

The most aggravating part of this is - I am a lifelong Star Trek fan, so I should be genetically predisposed to really enjoy STO. To the point where my family and friends perform an intervention to pull me away from the screen.

I certainly was this way prior to the release of DR. I could happily spend an entire weekend in front of my laptop wandering all around STO. Then, I ran into my very first Vaadwaur Heavy Artillery Ship with the gazillion HPs.

Next, I have to earn a gazillion XP to move the needle one mark on the scale. Okay, gonna take awhile. Run through Tau Dewa, go to Defera, clear the Feds out of Kahless Expanse, then run ten or eleven Argalas. So tallying up my score, I got twenty five XP. Wait...What?!

"No, that's working right. Oh, waitaminnit. We'll get right on that. There all fixed! Now you get fifty XP per mission! And now you need a gazillion and a half XP to move the needle. No need to thank us. We just want you to enjoy yourself."

I wander into an STF where there are hordes of NPCs and each of them has seventeen times (17x-The STO equivalent to the Mockingjay handsign, lol) the HP they used to have. Now the Optionals are mandatory but they're still called Optionals? If someone misses one we all get to fail the STF. On the rare occasion when we do succeed, we now get about half the reward we used to get. And the time it took us to earn this is about twice what it used to be.

"Hey, guys? How come none of you are playing the Ques? We made them more challenging just like you asked for. And we tweaked the rewards, too! We worked really hard on this! And if you don't play it, you're all just big meanies! Or smartass fourteen year olds!"

Delta Rising lacks a feeling of focus and polish. If anything it feels like Spiderman III. Somebody spent too much time trying to include too much stuff so none of the pieces got the individual attention they really deserve.

If the Devs want us to come out and play, they really have to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. So again OP, I hear ya. Loudly and clearly. I'm right there with ya, too. And from seeing Smirk asking players about empty Ques the other day, it appears others are beginning to hear you as well. Let us hope this will be the beginnings of changes around STO for the positive.

I usually avoid quoting entire posts , but this one just resonated so much .

As someone already said, fun was clearly OP and had to be needed to be put down like a rabid dog that it was .
    The players were clearly having unintended fun before DR, and they needed to be told when, where and how much (or more likely how little) fun they must have in order to satisfy some metric .

Ironically my mind goes back to the "clicky" missions Nerf in the foundry .
    The missions existed almost since the day the foundry began, and after years of existing , suddenly they were dubbed an "exploit" and many cheered .

The removal of the Mirror Invasion was next to go and since then we go more and more "adjustments" to the "vision" and the "new standard" .

... meanwhile "fun" like a wet sponge just got squeezed and squeezed and squeezed ...
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    >snip<
    So. Much. This.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited December 2014

^^ Very well put! And 100% agreed.

P.S. Love your sig, btw; very pretty colors. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • cosmicsunwindcosmicsunwind Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Same here exactly. I log in for about 20 minutes a day to refine dil, set up whatever doff missions are available (I stopped bothering traveling around to the different nebulas now), right now the winter event, etc.

There's simply no point in actually playing the game anymore because in order to get the best gear you just need dilithium, fleet credits, and upgrade it.

They should have made upgrades drop exclusively from the final boss in STFs or something, one for each player, the specific upgrade type of their choosing - that would have given me and everyone else something to actually do.

The fact that the best end-game gear comes from crafting and wealth in an MMO is totally absurd. The best gear is supposed to come from end-game 'raids'. That's how MMOs survive and that's why when people reach max level they keep playing. As the game exists right now, there is almost no reason aside from those listed to log in and actually play.

You dun goofed bad, Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    leceter wrote: »
    "I think, this was done on purpose to hinders players from leaving, since they invested lot of work, time and especially money in their toons. They keep playing because of the refusal to realize, that it was all waste. Cognitive dissonance."

I had the opposite response: "STOP FIXING STUFF THAT ISN'T BROKEN! I CAN'T STAND THIS! I NEED A BREAK!"

Meanwhile all the stuff that's still broken...Well, I'm sure that has its own threads...

Still the best ST mmo ever.
  • patrokoluspatrokolus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, what helped for me is to install the CombatLogReader and joined the DPS league. There you can work against the next level of DPS your toon can pull in ISA (e.g. 10k, 20k, 30k, 50k).

I know it's not for everybody but for me that created the necessary motivation to keep in the game and having a long term goal to climb the DPS league table. Has also the advantage that you play with other people who know the game mechanics inside out.

Other than that you will still have the occasional new content which pops up from time to time (which I play once or twice) or the social component if you are in a active fleet (mine is pretty dead since DR) :(
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, I'm lucky to stay in game even 5 minutes a day anymore. I log in, I run the race on one toon, I doff, I'm done. I have barely any EC because of all the nerfs but it doesn't matter because I don't play anymore. plenty of Dil from the last even but I know all that will be sucked dry once my character hits max level for crafting and starts upgrading everything, thats if i bother to log in at all anyway.

Come on Cryptic, this was my go to game, now it barely hangs on to my hard drive.
  • lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My tiny fleet is really the only thing keeping me going now. Unlike the OP with the mountain of resources, I have very little and the EC/dil resource hits over the last several months have made sure I either grind like mad (not enough spare time...I'm casual) or pay.

Well, they finally jumped the shark by putting in so many time gates and resource sinks and grind on top of grind. In addition, STFs were something I used to enjoy jumping into, but I don't have the kind of time to fail PuGs regularly, so that's out now.

I used to do events religiously, last summer, anniversary, previous winters. Now, I kind of just look at it and think 'what am I doing with my life and time?' There just doesn't seem to be a point any more...grind to get better gear to grind better? I'm not sure where this voyage is going.

Progress is ridiculously slow...no matter what I do, it seems like the bar barely moves on anything now. That lack of progress, whether it's the slow earning EC/dil or the time gates or the 'come back every day for months' is just overwhelming, and the reward at the end just leaves a bitter taste.
  • siliconpsychosiliconpsycho Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I feel precisely the same as the OP and other posters in this thread.

Before DR, this game was FUN, it had appeal to those who could devote 10 hours or just 10 minutes.

Now, its just forced grind. Grind for gazillions of XP. Grind for Upgrades. Grind for SP. Grindgrindgrind.

I have not played any content at all for over 2 months now. I barely log in. I even deleted the game from my laptop, cancelled my monthly subscription and only left the game on another PC for the occasional time I want to log in and see if any friends are playing. Most of the time when I do log in, nobody at all in my friends list is online.

I still communicate with a lot of our (ex?) fleet members through teamspeak, and we have even started playing some other games together.

The change of "vision and direction" that came with Delta Rising removed all fun factor from the game for many of us. There was a time that we tried solo'ing or two-manning Infected or Khitomer space elite. Not for the "glory" but just to see if we could. We used to practice NWS. We used to have a blast taking stupid builds into FFA.

Now? none of that can happen ith the ridiculous HP increases of NPCs. The "challenge" of completing the content in different ways (not always DPS) just isn't there any more.

The last time I logged in I converted all my refined dilithium to zen, bought keys from the store and simeply gave them away to anyone who wanted them on ESD zone chat. That was the first time I had any fun in the game at all in two months, by giving my stuff away to strangers.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    All I do is log in to reset my DOff missions and sell some Christmas stuff on the Exchange.

I then log out and play something else while I wait for them to fix STO.
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well I'm glad to see it's not just me. I've enjoyed reading some of your expanded thoughts on why and what this is. I think to me this is so much of it.
    trying to include too much stuff

It just seems like a 100 little buttons to push to get anything done. It's about pushing the buttons not doing fun stuff which is what it used to be to me. I remember how excited I was doing all of the missions to get "Law" as a doff.

I also think to paraphrase what someone else said here, you can't earn top (or even good) gear by playing. You get it by pushing buttons to make money to buy it. I think that's really it. Nothing of value "drops" in game by playing. I remember Diablo II hooked me for a decade and as I compare these two games that's the big miss. In Diablo I was always playing to find stuff or to trade it for things I wanted and the effort by Blizzard was to add some items but really to make the game play exciting and fresh even on the 1000th raid. Buying an Epic XIV doesn't give me an adrenaline or dopamine hit. But randomly finding one would and did in the past.

I'm really glad I posted this to clear it up in my head and with the responses.

Thank you.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I play Doffing rising, and I love it!
  • lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You know, I didn't think of it that way, good point. When we used to earn more EC I'd then buy things off of the exchange, but since that nerf and the new dilithium drains, dilithium (time) has become the currency of choice...something I tend to be short on.

By removing good drops, they've been pushing us towards crafting and rep gear, and we're certainly feeling that pressure. Cryptic has always done that though...two steps forward, one step back. They'll put in something to be excited about, but TRIBBLE up something else that leaves you just this side of positive. In this case, 'hey more options and new gear!'...but now I feel even poorer and pressured to log in daily than I did before.

I used to spend more per month than the average subscription, but now I feel like I'm just throwing money down a hole.
  • onrgunonrgun Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I loved Star Trek Online, but I feel the magic is gone because I am personally tired of space battles ever mission, this was never all Star Trek was about. I want more options to complete missions, like having level 4 diplomacy skills and being able to chat your way out of a battle, or having high enough trade skills and the right item in your inventory to get out of a battle, or anything like that.

Doing a space battle every mission is boring and not in keeping with the ideals of the show originally had in mind, also the Zen market is TRIBBLE because I hate how the market is kept artificially low or high; How about we do away with the three different currencies and have Zen only, how about "special events" you earn Zen because that would be special.

How about once a year have and all out fight between all the players with the best players getting rare gear or ships, or have all out space battles with the dev's controlling ships not bots because then we least know the dev's.

Sorry, I just really want this game to be fun again and right now it is not.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I wish I could quote this entire post in my signature.
    Sums things up spot on, that and the, "Fun in STO is like a sponge that's been all rung out." comment.

Bring back the fun and I'll be happy as Larry.
    patrokolus wrote: »
    if you are in a active fleet (mine is pretty dead since DR) :(
    Mine too, sadly.

Smirk, asking players why they aren't queuing up is hysterical to me, specially after all the denial, the "it's a bug", or your just the vocal minority bull they've stubbornly stuck to since DR launch.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    patrokolus wrote: »
    ...I know it's not for everybody but for me that created the necessary motivation to keep in the game and having a long term goal to climb the DPS league table. Has also the advantage that you play with other people who know the game mechanics inside out.

Is this the Star Trek game you want to have: DPS-the-hell-out-of-your-toon and kill your way through the galaxy, because there is nothing of Trek inside anymore?

I keep it more with this vision
    onrgun wrote: »
    I loved Star Trek Online, but I feel the magic is gone because I am personally tired of space battles ever mission, this was never all Star Trek was about. I want more options to complete missions, like having level 4 diplomacy skills and being able to chat your way out of a battle, or having high enough trade skills and the right item in your inventory to get out of a battle, or anything like that.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014

Truth.

/10chars
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nice blog post. Let me find the reblog and like button.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Posting this OP playing with fire. But I would like to see more time travel missions. DR they left out Captain Proton they could have done a B&W mission on ground. Recreate the 1930's Flash Gordon type of mission. Make it interesting.

DR is just blast, boom, blast, boom an etc. K-Prime ground seems a lot tougher now with these prior patches. I guess they don't want us to have fun anymore. That would explain the low number of players on that battle-zone.

Just have to take each day as it comes now... Cheer-up! :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    snip ...

Well put, virtually on the same wavelength. ;)
  • lordarathronlordarathron Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have not touched Delta Grinding in months. The Foundry is literally the only thing bringing me back to the game, and I'll play the events while I'm on. It takes soooooo long to get enough xp to play the next story mission in DR that I've just given up.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Won't be upgrading, won't be leveling, won't be crafting and won't be playing queue maps with nerfed rewards.

It's down to converting contraband but what is the point of a new ship when you need 5 million do gear it

So at this point gameplay is down to laughing at them and posting about laughing at them
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    what is the point of a new ship when you need 5 million do gear it

I was just thinking about this today and how it ties in for me. One thing I used to do was play around with energy types and different builds. It was expensive to do but fun but nothing like the cost now. Back then I'd get some XII weapons and new Tact Consoles and maybe a rep item or two. But I'd be done. Now that is just the start! From there I need to upgrade all of those from XII to XIV thus increasing the total cost by about 500%. What used to cost around 250 thousand dil now costs over a million plus 10's of millions of EC and days of time gates. And what if it doesn't work like you wanted? That is way to expensive a chance to take. Where in the past I built a PvP, CE and STF loadouts for ships the upgrading eliminated that. With the crazy costs and time investments it became a pick one and stick with it system.
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014

For sure..if it wasnt for the winter event and some of the hardcore friends leftover from my fleets...perhaps this would be real hard to be "on" :D
This discussion has been closed.