test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's Talk: Voth Battlezone

kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
I'll be straight with you all here and say it took a lot for me not to name this thread "[Devs] How to properly balance a game without cheesing off your playerbase." So, STO community, let's talk the Voth Battlezone.

"One Man Show": A Team-oriented PSA

This philosophy seems to run the BZ these days. I run up to any allied player I can find and shoot them a team invite, only to be immediately rejected. I understand that some people do not want to team up, but I feel that people are not all aware of the benefits that come with teaming up. In fact, I'm going to ask YOU (yes, you) to post a reply to this in your comment telling me the DISADVANTAGES of teaming up in the Battlezone. Have I been doing this wrong?

Right, so, back on teams: People that do not team up for capping points/completing daily missions, this is what you're missing:

Defeat Voth in the Battlezone counts the entire TEAM's kills. Meaning that you will defeat 2-3x as many Voth in a team than you would alone. This means more points, which means more dilithium.

Capture Points in the Battlezone let's you capture any 2 points as long as they're with a teammate. This also guarantees you not having to solo a point yourself, and it removes the restriction of only capturing points in one of the three major subzones.

Call In Reinforcements will, like DVitB, counts THE ENTIRE TEAM'S contribution of command credits. It is completed much more quickly if you have somebody else calling in support and gathering credits with you.

So there you are. If you are teamed up with somebody in the BZ, the rewards are greater, they take less time, and they promote teamwork. There shouldn't be so many people out there who refuse to team up!

"Dear Devs": Convictions of a Former Dino-Tagger

I've gone through the last several patch notes and haven't found any indication that Dino-Tagging had been explicitly nerfed. I do call it a nerf, and not a bug-fix, because although it was giving many players access to heightened rewards for lessened effort, it hadn't been an issue for over a year, it wasn't hurting other players, and it developed into a heightened strategy for ensuring that "all 3 silos fall under allied control (excellent work)."

Yes, I used to be a dino-tagger, and here is my outlook on this issue. Oh, and feel free to contest this with me.

1) Dino-Bosses spawn. My general plan of attack is to start in the city, because it has the longest distance back to a transporter. I hit the dino for a couple of shots, eliminate the medics, and hit the ground running for the Command Center.

2) From the Command Center, I travel to the Outskirts, hit the dino a couple of times, take out the medics if they're there, and return to the teleporter.

3) Now I hit up the park, take out the medics, poke at the V-Rex a little bit, and analyze the situation in the 3 sectors. After that, whichever silo is the lowest is where I'll usually head to (its usually the park for me) I finish that V-Rex, taking out medics as they come, and switch over to the city or outskirts, depending on how badly they're doing.

Here is what I'll probably be doing following the nerf:

1) Dino-Bosses spawn. I pick one, kill it, don't even bother helping with the other two. This is the only step.

So, while before I would focus on keeping all 3 silos alive (and not have to worry too much about the V-Rex bonus provided I could poke at all 3 of them a few times) I'm pigeonholed into focusing down one and the others are screwed. Now, imagine if everyone else adopts my strategy (which, why wouldn't they? Everyone loves dilithium.) I predict that we will all see a distinct decrease in the number of silos saved, simply because everybody will be so worried about the damn reward.

Right then. So, Tl;dr, I understand that the Devs probably won't revert the nerf on Tagging, but now that they've effectively mucked up the Boss Meta and player habits, they had better stick around to fix the way rewards are distributed.

I think that about covers it all. Ultimately,

- Team up for BZ missions.

- Meditate on what I said about the Boss Meta, I guess.

Thank you for your time and attention to this BZ PSA.
Post edited by kiloace on

Comments

• Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people you are adressing don't read this forum.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    oklavsoklavs Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have just recently started to play V BZ. I have a question about teaming up. How many can you have in your team? If there is enough Cn you separate into 2 smaller teams to cover more ground. As I have never played in a team before are there any tips or play styles I should know.
  • Options
    kiloacekiloace Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the people you are adressing don't read this forum.

That's a good point, sadly.
    oklavs wrote: »
    I have just recently started to play V BZ. I have a question about teaming up. How many can you have in your team? If there is enough Cn you separate into 2 smaller teams to cover more ground. As I have never played in a team before are there any tips or play styles I should know.

You can only be a part of a single team, but the team itself can spread out. You can have up to 5 players in a team at once.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No thanks, it's the laggiest map in the game.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Most of the people who play this game are sociopaths.
    The solutiin is to avoid grouping less you unleash the beast.

If you haven't noticed, but in premium mmo's they are making them more soloable because of the toxicity of the community
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    morbious01morbious01 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ive read it..im now aware of the benefits

i still wont team

disadvantages to teaming

1/get moaned at alot

2/cant go afk (see 1)

3/follow someone that tags everything and runs leaving me to fend off a swarm of minions they've aggro'd or gets lost a lot (im capable of getting lost by myself its part of the fun)

one thing i see a lot is people complete a zone and hop to the next highest population to see how close that zone is to completion

3/have to turn off 2 settings in the privacy (tells/invite) thats 4 clicks i wouldn't need to do solo

4/get pestered to join there fleet (there nice people honest)

there actually a lot more reasons i can think of not to join
    main two being im anti social in games and i like my freedom

*edited to add

you say when you fire off a team invite its instantly turned down

ive known afew people in other games that dont like blind invites or people have set there privacy options (no team invites unless fleet/friends) and might of forgotten its set

if you send a tell first you might get one back saying 1sec editing privacy...cause if your tells rejected they've set it and you at least know there not intrested

course if you want a team so badly do a shout out in zone chat
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    Most of the people who play this game are sociopaths.
    The solutiin is to avoid grouping less you unleash the beast.

If you haven't noticed, but in premium mmo's they are making them more soloable because of the toxicity of the community

I dont group I will never group although I dont know if they are sociopaths I try to avoid labelling, but I like to avoid drama at all costs inside the game hence my ignore list which is probably a good portion of the forum posters as well (in some cases I recognized the names from forum handles). My ignores have come back down to a trickle but I refuse to be pulled into the negative fun sucking issues that a lot of people have. I play for fun and I dont bother anyone else and I know not everyone is going to reciprocate so I refuse to group with people I dont know which is probably most players lol.

I still play as a team player and help people take points even if i come in at the last second and get nothing for my efforst because I am actually a team player ( a real one) who tries to flip the zone with others regardless of faction or anything since we are all allies in that zone grouping should not matter and low and behold it does not.

I had myself on anonymous for a long long time but since I put my fed into a fleet I had to remove the anonymous because some of the fleet also has klingons who I dont mind grouping with because I know them well enough to know that they just play to have fun.

Anyhow forced grouping doesn't work it only excludes people which is why mmo developers have swung towards including people even if they are not grouped. Anyhow nothing you can do will cause me to group. If the zone suddenly makes it impossible for me to play and take points with others while not grouped then I wont play the map anymore. :P
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The recent balance adjustments made to the voth battlezone mean that you often don't get credit for capping a point unless you do it all single-handedly.

So both people only get 5 dil, and no marks, instead of the full rewards.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tl;dr: I don't take unsolicited team invites from random people. If someone asks in Zone, then sure, sign me up! But a team invite comes with the (unwritten) obligation that you kinda have to stay for a few rounds. So, I treat the Voth Battlezone the same as, say, Argala: if ppl ask in Zone first, and I feel I'm up for several rounds, I'm game. But yeah, I generally ignore ppl shooting unsolicited invites.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    arilouskiffarilouskiff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The main problem I've had is that since zone chat is across instances, if you use it to look for a team chances are you'll end up split with some of them in a full instance, and getting across instances is tricky at best.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As far as grouping in the Voth BZ, don't mind it at all.... if a friend, fleetmate or evern random same faction guy wants to team... great.... I'll do it... if not, I do not. I see nothing wrong with teaming. Then again, unlike many who engage in this game, I'm not a sociopath. I gain enjoyment from playing and working with others.... not griefing and aggrevating them and lashing out when things get social.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i don't team, because i like to play with my boffs and see what they are able to do. And i don't follow the orders from other players
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i don't team, because i like to play with my boffs and see what they are able to do. And i don't follow the orders from other players

You don't loose your boffs when teaming in the Voth BZ
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i know but this is different :P
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If someone runs up to me and randomly sends a team invite, yeah I'm rejecting it.I could be in the middle of doffing or about to switch character or something else. But if they ask, either via zone or tell first, I'd be much more likely to team up. Or at least politely tell them why not.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Also remember that the Voth Battlezone is probably the only place in the whole game that adjusts to the conditions. The more people you have, the more enemies that spawn in an area.

The more people you have around, the more people you are carrying because they don't even know how to use abilities.

So the more you team, the harder you have to work, even though the theory says otherwise. Its not difficult to beat an area alone, but it is when you have 1-4 others who make your own Boffs look like superstars.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    crusader3025crusader3025 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I turn down unsolicitd invites (Team, Friend and Fleet).

If you really want me on any of those, you can damn well talk to me about it.

It seems with the random-vites, the process is:
    Thinking: "I really want that person on my team!"
    -Unsolicited Invite Sent-
    -Rejected-
    Thinking: "They're being a ****! Damn n00b! Glad you're not on my team, you [censored]!"
    -Ignores the player that rejected the invite- (And thus, they dont see the message the person was going to change characters, didn't want on a team, or was getting ready to log off, or go grind somewhere else).

I haven't bothered to join a fleet, team or friend lists on blind/unsolicited invites. If you really want me on any of those, you better damn well talk to me first - I might not be a 'fit' for a fleet or team, and I might not want to be your friend in the game.