test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What happened to the Klingon Computer Voice?

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
On my Tier 6 Raptor, I don't hear the male computer voice any more, but the female Starfleet voice. As much as I respect Majel Roddenberry, I miss my male voice.

Was it optimized away and went the way of exploration clusters? Is it just a problem with new Klingon ships?
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    On my Tier 6 Raptor, I don't hear the male computer voice any more, but the female Starfleet voice. As much as I respect Majel Roddenberry, I miss my male voice.
    Cryptic generally cares more about the Federation Faction than the KDF or Republic. They're probably trying to convert everyone so that they can pull more resources away from the KDF and Republic. Heh! ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is still an issue? :confused:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    This is still an issue? :confused:

Since when is it an issue then?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I wish we could pick our voice, a sexy Orion female voice as my computer would be nice.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In order to fix it, Cryptic needs to realize that a Klingon faction in the game exists first. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, if the Devs would stop consistently destroying KDF with nerfpedoes like my signature shows, than maybe just maybe the KDF can have some work done on getting somewhere in this game!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As much as I respect Majel Roddenberry, I miss my male voice.

If the late, great Majel Barret-Roddenberry were actually the Starfleet computer voice in STO, maybe I wouldn't have turned off all computer announcements around 2 years ago.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You all complain, but it could be worse, you could be Romulan and use another faction computer voice. Which is weird, considering there are another computer voice in the files, and it seems intended for Romulan (it shares some similarities with the Taris ship computer voice).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited December 2014
    Why isn't this in the bug reports forum? This sounds like something that is legitimately broken...

And, yes, I can verify it on my KDF toon. :(
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • bindingchainsbindingchains Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I find it better the way it is now, since I started playing a KDF that voice always annoyed me, I cant even understand what it says half the time, its not good imo.

If you ever bring that back, at least give us the choice to select what voice we want to hear as alert.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Why isn't this in the bug reports forum? This sounds like something that is legitimately broken...

because it is not a bug: it's just a copy-paste of the code -> works as intended :P
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Was it optimized away and went the way of exploration clusters? Is it just a problem with new Klingon ships?

It was Executed for Incompetence.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited December 2014

The Computer AI was defective. Like the Covenant AIs from Halo. Copy/pasted over and over until it became unintelligible.

So KDF command finally decided to just copy the AI from some stolen/salvaged Federation ship and adapt it for KDF use, as the AI was more advanced and more coherent.

Of course, there was some initial issues with compatibility; the new system kept listing KDF losses as a good thing and Federation losses as a bad thing, as someone forgot to switch around the IFF programming.

After the initial programmer was executed for gross incompetence, the problem was immediately rectified. Now all new and advanced KDF ships use the feminine system voice.
    edited March 2015
    Apparently, this is STILL AN ISSUE! LOL
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    In order to fix it, Cryptic needs to realize that a Klingon faction in the game exists first. :rolleyes:

I bet they do and will act accordingly. Expect contraband to become char bound and the exclusion of doff assignments for next dil event.

Qapla' :o
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Majel Barrett isnt the only only to have voiced the computer regularly. Judi Durand also had a significant presense on computer voice as well.

Interestingly enough during ST3:TSfS, Leonard Nimoy himself did the computer voice for the Excelsior turbolift.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Dang, and I just someone had reported the same issue as me. But it's my own post.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »

The "issue" persists for such a long time now and was reported so many times that you can just assume that it is a "low priority" issue and as such won't get fixed.

If you pay attention you can see that T5U Klingon ships also show a Starfleet schematic in their shield UI. They just copied the code over and didn't change it because working on Klingon content did completely tire them out, according to the lead designer.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken...
    but I was under the impression the "Computer" voice is a sound-a-like to Majel Barrett's Computer voice from the shows.... it isn't her recording those lines for the game.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
    edited March 2015
    Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken...
    but I was under the impression the "Computer" voice is a sound-a-like to Majel Barrett's Computer voice from the shows.... it isn't her recording those lines for the game.

Lani Minella voices the computer for Feds. She does a ton of VO work for Cryptic.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Lani Minella voices the computer for Feds. She does a ton of VO work for Cryptic.

like another voice over, Dave Rivas who is most noted for Hakeev and additionals like Cooper and Shon.

the problem with this and doing so many voice overs is that when you have voiced over half the game with the same voice, it loses any sense of "immersion" in the game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • morden613morden613 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wish we could pick our voice, a sexy Orion female voice as my computer would be nice.

I'll just throw this one in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D038kpNIRDM
  • cronos722cronos722 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My peeve is listening to the bosun whistle when a queue pops.

We use to have a Klingon computer double beep sound years ago back when the UI was the Dark Side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    They're probably trying to convert everyone so that they can pull more resources away from the KDF and Republic. Heh! ;)

Wouldn't that involve putting resources there in the first place?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Scene from Cryptic boardroom -

Quality Assurance Manager (20 year old intern who works 3 hours a week) runs in breathless, "Sir, sir. the latest metrics!"

Evil Intergalactic Overlord Xenu (the actual President of Cryptic and PWE) - "And!?"

QA - "Not good, your evilness, I'm afraid we still have.." flips pages, "..umm, fifteen players who still log on as Klingon!"

EIOX - "WHAT!? even after my master stroke of putting the sexy human voice to seduce them!"

QA - "Yes sir! Maybe we should have went with my idea of giving them rootbeer."

--Exterior of the boardroom watching as a fireball blows the doors open.

Cryptic Job Opening Website - Opening Quality Assurance Manager.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Good riddance! That sounded more like the borg than a real Klingon. Until they find a way to put a real Klingon voice on it, I'm fine with the Starfleet one
  • omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This has been broken since, like, LoR came out, or shortly thereafter. The voice is one thing, but to have a fed ship silhouette on some of my KDF ship's hull hud is just insult to injury.
    kyrrok wrote: »
    Good riddance! That sounded more like the borg than a real Klingon. Until they find a way to put a real Klingon voice on it, I'm fine with the Starfleet one

IDK what voice you were listening to, but my guy sounded very much like a Klingon. WTH is your definition of "a real Klingon voice"?
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    morden613 wrote: »

I don't remember that segment but it's funny. It's "too female" even for Jim Kirk :D
    XzRTofz.gif