test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cyrptic, please unlock the Winter items for all.

wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
So, the patch to fix Tides of Ice did not seem to work. Just finished a full run and no rewards. To that end, how about just unlocking the Winter store items and making 10 tides of ice a separate title only accolade. I already completed and got the unlock before all of this fortunately, but I don't like seeing all of the frustration over what should be a fun event. The chat chatter was most unhappy. If people have the winter items to spend on warp cores and new weapons, just let them.

Edit: That seems to be exactly what they've done. People later reported the unlock. Thanks guys!
Post edited by wanderintx on

Comments

• sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    .. the patch was not supposed to fix it....

you now HAVE already NO requirements

just go to the vendor and get the item of choice. the patch was supposed to get rid of the requirements as they couldnt fix it in time.

so if you have 50 of everything go get the warpcore. easy as that. tides now doesnt give a reward and that is intended... (rofl)
    "Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sophus84at wrote: »
    .. the patch was not supposed to fix it....

you now HAVE already NO requirements

just go to the vendor and get the item of choice. the patch was supposed to get rid of the requirements as they couldnt fix it in time.

so if you have 50 of everything go get the warpcore. easy as that. tides now doesnt give a reward and that is intended... (rofl)

There was some mis-communication about what the patch was supposed to do. Actually very little communication as evidenced by the chat chatter. As I said, I already had the unlock, but there was a lot of frustration being vented when the first run after the patch completed and the accolade wasn't updating for people.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Winter items (even Warp Cores) no longer require Tides of Ice completion to acquire as of today's patch notes.

Didn't expect them to remove the requirement for everything (I think they're desperate), but I'm really glad they did remove it for the vanity items. I hope they don't get that treatment again in the future, and that this lesson learned sets a precedent.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tk79 wrote: »
    Winter items (even Warp Cores) no longer require Tides of Ice completion to acquire as of today's patch notes.

Didn't expect them to remove the requirement for everything (I think they're desperate), but I'm really glad they did remove it for the vanity items. I hope they don't get that treatment again in the future, and that this lesson learned sets a precedent.

Agreed, the idea of introducing a stupid grind to unlock these items was clearly ill-thought out and purely implemented.

Now, if there had been a "Buy now" button with a dilithium cost I would have said it was working as intended....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tk79 wrote: »

Not necessarily desperate, that's an unfair characterization.

From a technical standpont, they've tried a few fixes here and recognized none of it was working as needed or intended, so the logical repair point, especially for a limited time event, is to increase accessibility.

They knew, for a fact, numerous ToI efforts simply were not recorded so let's say, purely for example, 1 out of every 2 ToI attempts was being credited correctly.

If that were true, and they look at the population and see the average ToI accrual rate across characters who participated in the winter events at all was anything around 5?

They know the majority of the populace SHOULD have met the unlock conditions by now.

Mathematically, just taking off the restriction is the fairest conclusion, logically speaking.

I'm not saying they are not frustrated with the bug value and desperate for a solution, that's possible.

I just think it's not a straight line when there is a clear, reasoned, factual and fair minded approach to do exactly this that is not about desperation but rational path of resolution and least resistance that would be metric driven.

You may of course see it differently. I just think there is way too much irrational accusation against cryptic in general lately and thought they warranted a bit of credit here for doing the right and logical thing from where I sit.

Now, if you want to argue that the requirement was unwarranted to start, different argument entirely and I might agree with you. In that case, rationality triumphs again for improving the situation. :)
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As there are already multiple threads going about this and the issue with the item requirements is no longer an issue, I am closing this thread.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.