What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

breen chel gret still 1000 post patch 11/12/14

Comments

• Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So like - suggestion right - so you all are saying that you have to get the ship via the rep system to get the discount - why not make a copy of the 1000 photo rep project and make the requirement the dissipator console? That way if we already have it, the project can eat the console, give credit to unlock the discount, then we can just reclaim it...
  • Options
    ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So like - suggestion right - so you all are saying that you have to get the ship via the rep system to get the discount - why not make a copy of the 1000 photo rep project and make the requirement the dissipator console? That way if we already have it, the project can eat the console, give credit to unlock the discount, then we can just reclaim it...

This! Seriously, can't be that hard, can it? Well, actually, given how spaghetti code the game is, it probably IS kinda hard, but worth it to salve pissed off players.
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm not saying you'll never get the discount.

However, if you want the ship discount now, the Reputation project will need to be completed with one character. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until some fix is devised, and I have no idea how long that will take or even if one will be possible this year. I just do not know, nor do I have enough information to even venture a guess when/if this might be resolved.

I was just trying to provide some information as to where we stood with this right now.

I appreciate you giving uys what information you can and realize there's only so much you can say until whoever can fix this actually addresses it. I hope you understand that the frustration rises from the longer term players constantly running into things like this again and again on different issues and I'm sure most of us understand that the person delivering the information isn't responsible.
  • Options
    overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    We already did complete the project, the first year.

No, the first year was different. We got the ships via a store, not the rep system. They are going to have to devise a way for the game to acknowledge that and add it to the rep system before we can get a discount. Assuming they choose to put any more effort into this, something they have not committed to yet.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    From my own long experience as a developer, it seems to be like be a fairly simple fix up in concept.

1) Search for the existence of a Breen Cruiser for every character on the servers and one they don't have to identified from completing the Cruiser Reputation project. I assume it would be some sort of database query in script or maybe program.

2) Take the results of the DB query, sort and crunch it down to an account list.

3) Take the crunched account list and add the identifier for for Completed Breen Cruier Rep project.
  • Options
    tahlloltahllol Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So basically we are being told to TRIBBLE off by STO as usual as old time customers and players nothing new I guess. Kinda of like being ripped off on the R&D Packs I bought today, didn't get TRIBBLE from them including the extra lobi or ship we were suppose to get. I guess it is like normal the patches do not actually patch anything.
  • Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    Here's what's going on.

Right now, the discount unlocks are checking to see if you have previously completed the reputation project for a ship. If so, you get the account unlock that gives a discount for that ship.

Now, in the case of the older Breen ships, the discount unlocks were added after the projects had already been completed. So, they would not reliably know that your character had completed the project -- nothing was prompting them to check. Normally the account unlock is applied at the time that you finish the reputation project. If you had already finished the project, the account unlock might never get the trigger telling it to apply.

I added a trigger condition so that if you talk to Q, it forces the account unlock to check the project again immediately. This would allow players who had done the event project before, but not gotten the discount, to get the discount applied.

There is not, however, currently a way for the account discount to tell if you got a ship by a means other than the reputation project. If you got a Chel Grett before it was an event reputation project, the unlock can't "hear" this.

One of our programmers is currently investigating the feasibility of getting the account unlock to "hear" if you currently have the Chel Grett or the T5U Chel Grett. If this is feasible, I will update the account unlock feature so that it will also check to see if you already have a Chel Grett (of either type), and grant the account-wide discount in such a case. (A similar hook would be needed to add the discount if you have the console that comes with the Chel Grett, but had discarded the ship -- perhaps putting the console on a different ship or keeping it in your bank.)

If you previously claimed the Chel Grett before the event reputation existed and then you discarded it, that's an even more difficult ball of wax, and one that we don't currently have the technology for which to create a solution. This case is still under development.
  • Options
    mbfmbf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    overlapo wrote: »
    No, the first year was different. We got the ships via a store, not the rep system. They are going to have to devise a way for the game to acknowledge that and add it to the rep system before we can get a discount. Assuming they choose to put any more effort into this, something they have not committed to yet.
    Wouldn't it be easier to have the code for discounted unlocks check the reclaim tab on the dil store for things like this?
    zqv9RWH.png
  • Options
    krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mbf wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be easier to have the code for discounted unlocks check the reclaim tab on the dil store for things like this?
    zqv9RWH.png

THAT is what should happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So, for now, to get the discount one has to complete the Reputation project on at least one character at the full 1000 cost. The discount is looking for the completion of that initial project. If you acquired the ship any other way than via the Reputation project, the discount will not apply. That's my understanding of the issue.

You should probably put out some DEV Blog, then ... before "the time runs out" ... some poor folks might still be waiting on a fix & not everyone is checking the Bug Forums ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    mbf wrote: »
    zqv9RWH.png

Currently the account unlocks do not have the same data hooks as stores. (Has to do with certain kinds of server transactions.) Hence why this is taking programmer time.
  • Options
    mbfmbf Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    Currently the account unlocks do not have the same data hooks as stores. (Has to do with certain kinds of server transactions.) Hence why this is taking programmer time.

Ah....understandable. I've got to ask tho, how's the supply of goat sacrifices to appease the programming gods going?
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Jheinig, can you not simply create a new rep project requiring the Chel Gret console, have it return the console and unlock the Chel Gret? That would help 99% of people with the problem.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Here's what's going on.

Right now, the discount unlocks are checking to see if you have previously completed the reputation project for a ship. If so, you get the account unlock that gives a discount for that ship.

Now, in the case of the older Breen ships, the discount unlocks were added after the projects had already been completed. So, they would not reliably know that your character had completed the project -- nothing was prompting them to check. Normally the account unlock is applied at the time that you finish the reputation project. If you had already finished the project, the account unlock might never get the trigger telling it to apply.

I added a trigger condition so that if you talk to Q, it forces the account unlock to check the project again immediately. This would allow players who had done the event project before, but not gotten the discount, to get the discount applied.

There is not, however, currently a way for the account discount to tell if you got a ship by a means other than the reputation project. If you got a Chel Grett before it was an event reputation project, the unlock can't "hear" this.

One of our programmers is currently investigating the feasibility of getting the account unlock to "hear" if you currently have the Chel Grett or the T5U Chel Grett. If this is feasible, I will update the account unlock feature so that it will also check to see if you already have a Chel Grett (of either type), and grant the account-wide discount in such a case. (A similar hook would be needed to add the discount if you have the console that comes with the Chel Grett, but had discarded the ship -- perhaps putting the console on a different ship or keeping it in your bank.)

If you previously claimed the Chel Grett before the event reputation existed and then you discarded it, that's an even more difficult ball of wax, and one that we don't currently have the technology for which to create a solution. This case is still under development.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this more thoroughly and again I apologise for snapping at Frost. It just sometimes feels like those of us who have been around for longer seem to get taken for a ride with things like this. I should have just walked away, but with the game constantly crashing on me since winter wonderland went live, it's frayed my nerves and logical thought is but a memory.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It looks like the issue is those who got the Chel Gret the first year, before the current Reputation System was designed, are the ones not getting the discount.

There's been some discussion on how we might address this, but I have no idea where that stands.

So, for now, to get the discount one has to complete the Reputation project on at least one character at the full 1000 cost. The discount is looking for the completion of that initial project. If you acquired the ship any other way than via the Reputation project, the discount will not apply. That's my understanding of the issue.

That's not a solution
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    mrmoonsin01mrmoonsin01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Here's what's going on.

Firstly, thank you jheinig for posting this and updating us on the situation.
    However, I will be blunt and say that this sucks. And it sucks hard.

Here is how you fix it.

Solution 1
    • Make a consumable item, called 'Chell Gret Unlock'.
    • Make it non bankable, non tradable, non transferable, non sellable etc etc.
    • Give the item to all players who currently own a Chell Gret on their next log in.
    • When consumed the item adds the 'Chell Gret Unlocked trigger'
    • When the player next speaks to Q, the account unlock can 'hear' that you currently have it.
    • Then unlocks the discount across the account

- OR -

Solution 2
    • Give players who currently have the Chell Gret 1000 Autographed 8x10 Glossy Picture of Q.

- OR -

Solution 3
    • Create a new event that requires the console, then when you give in the console it 'unlocks' the unlock trigger across the account

I'm not being funny here, but this is hardly warp science. . .
  • Options
    edited December 2014

However, if you want the ship discount now, the Reputation project will need to be completed with one character. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until some fix is devised, and I have no idea how long that will take or even if one will be possible this year. I just do not know, nor do I have enough information to even venture a guess when/if this might be resolved.

I was just trying to provide some information as to where we stood with this right now.

So..........those of us who have the project slotted already might not get the carrier this year because you might not be able to fix it?
    bridges.jpg
  • Options
    gamerjoshgamerjosh Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Please extend the event to give time to get the chell gret starting now.
    Belief manifests reality
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Let me sum up what the problem is, what is causing it, and what is being done.

Problem. First year of the Chel Grett there was no Reputation system. There for, the unlock that would normally be triggered is non existent. Some players have sense discareded the ship which left some with the console, and some with nothing.

What is causing it. The Reputation system is not able to "see" that you own the ship. Or that you own the console or any other method really of detecting you completed the origional event.

What can be done. This is complicated, as each solution has its advantages and its disadvantages. Lets break them appart.

Cut and Dry, Write a script to evaluate if a player owns a Chel Grett, if they do, awards the completion for the event. Account wide unlock follows. Pros, simple and fast. Cons, it can miss a lot of players that did complete the event.

Did you own it???? This would see if the player owns a console, IE the Breen Energy Dissapator, and would award completion of the event. Pros, this is just as simple as the above, but is a bit more accurate. Cons, there still will be some missed, that did earn the ship and deserve a discount.

Free Cookies for EVERYBODY!!! This would solve the problem by just discounting the Chel Grett for everybody, thus making it so all those who earned it, get it. Pros, Nobody is Missed and the method here is the fastest. Cons, some players that did not earn it will get it.

What we have here is a few ways to make it right. Problem is, there is no right solution, no matter what they choose to do they will be the bad guy...

My sympaty to the poor guy that has to make the decision. But I hope they make it soon, as some players are curious if they have to grind for that one too. *Since i have discarded my Chel, i do have the console from it.*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014

IF Chel Gret in owned ships then unlock
    ELSE IF Chel Gret console owned then unlock
    ELSE Grind

Simple enough. Come on, I know you guys can get it done by next Thursday.
  • Options
    kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In the entire time I have owned this game, which is clear back to "Pre-Release", I have NEVER (SHOUTING NEVER) seen as much customer support on an issue as this ship is getting.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

It is obvious the STO Staff at Cryptic are making resolution of this issue a high priority. Let them find a solution. Stop overreacting, Take a valium, or do whatever you need to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Quick update: Got some new tech from one of our programmers, currently working on updating the Chel Grett unlock and testing it locally. Going to send an update off to QA for testing.
  • Options
    ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jheinig: Can I also report that the Plesh discount seems not to be working if you have the carrier slotted? My character that got the Raider is currently working on the Carrier, and despite talking to Q, no-one else is getting the discount. Will it work after completion of the Carrier project?
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I still think just handing affected players 1000 photos and not having to 'recode' the game would be a faster solution. (Assuming there aren't thousands of players you'd have to give them to.)

Then you guys will have 10 months to ignore the issue... and then 1 month to scramble to fix it before next Xmas! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Quick update: Got some new tech from one of our programmers, currently working on updating the Chel Grett unlock and testing it locally. Going to send an update off to QA for testing.

Will we have to wait till next Thursday or would this come early?
    bridges.jpg
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Thanks for the update. I know you can't speak to the reasoning but I'm curious as to why this wasn't in the patch to begin with. Some may have had a related but different issue but afaik, this was the issue most of us were reporting.

Anyways, thanks again.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My Romulan is stuck at 40/1000 for the Chel Gret - contributed to project last Winter. All other characters on account have both cruiser and raider unlocked & discounted to 40.

I seem to be locked out of all Breen Ship Projects on this character also. My Events tab shows "No Projects Available". Any workaround or advice?
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If its confirmed to not work currently I would just wait and not bother with it until word is out that its actually fixed. I've learned the hard way about these kinds of issues because they don't take accountability in the time you put in so if it messes up and its not your fault you have to regrind it up if you lost out on anything. Especially these releases at the end of the year usually never work because they never get tested until after they release it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I have an internally-functioning update that is now able to provide the account unlock if a character already has a ship but didn't get it through an event reputation project. It is being sent to QA for testing and hopefully will be in a patch in the next week or so.
  • Options
    xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have an internally-functioning update that is now able to provide the account unlock if a character already has a ship but didn't get it through an event reputation project. It is being sent to QA for testing and hopefully will be in a patch in the next week or so.

Though I did not get the ship in 2012, I would like to say keep up the good work!
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.