test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive Rains in Frisco and Surrounding areas - Server?

vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey all,

If you are not aware already, there is massive rain fall in the Frisco region and surrounding areas and as a result i have heard on the radio that power is out in areas throughout that region. So, this could be why the servers are down but FB, Twitter to Google are all still up but they also have large backup units and can bounce those issues off of other locations i am sure.

It is theory, so who knows. If we had a community manager to let us know what is going on that would be awesome.
Post edited by vfpfyasko1 on

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The lines that run throughout the area are all underground and sealed so the rain "shouldn't" affect anything. Plus Cryptic is always willing to "pass the buck." I think that if the rain had any affect, Cryptic would say so.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Aren't the servers located in Boston?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    questerius wrote: »

Last I heard yeah.
  • judeconnorsjudeconnors Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Servers are in Boston.

Keep trying... you'll get it right :D
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Servers are in Boston, but the offices that send the Patch to the Servers are in the Bay area. If Cryptic has power or internet interruptions it causes issues with the data sent to Boston - and thus you get a faulty Patch.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kelador wrote: »
    Last I heard yeah.

That's what I've always understood as well. Even though there seems to be some routing issues in the Boston area as well for a lot of people.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That's what I've always understood as well. Even though there seems to be some routing issues in the Boston area as well for a lot of people.

This is why they should host the servers in London weather doest cause issue's here :cool:
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The lines that run throughout the area are all underground and sealed so the rain "shouldn't" affect anything. Plus Cryptic is always willing to "pass the buck." I think that if the rain had any affect, Cryptic would say so.

Yes but guess what runs through those lines? Hint: the answer isn't magic.

Anyway, OP here's a link that I pulled from a second's use of google. Probably would have been easier than posting a thread.

https://twitter.com/PWECaptainSmirk/status/543123730528870401

I know that social media is a new-fangled watchamathingy that all them kids be using these days, but its not hard to pull information from it using conventional parts of the internet.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    Hey all,

If you are not aware already, there is massive rain fall in the Frisco region and surrounding areas and as a result i have heard on the radio that power is out in areas throughout that region. So, this could be why the servers are down but FB, Twitter to Google are all still up but they also have large backup units and can bounce those issues off of other locations i am sure.

It is theory, so who knows. If we had a community manager to let us know what is going on that would be awesome.

So uh, if one were to link to Smirk's posting and stuff on the forums - that would - kind of make this thread look silly, eh?

I'm all for bashing Cryptic...but I swear, some people post the most asinine things as if they were Cryptic shills to make all of our legitimate complaints look as stupid as their asinine complaints.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Weather delays are not the issue here. They have already said the issue is with the log in server at this point. Unless that server is outdoors then it is not weather related.

The only ways weather is an issue is if we are talking travel time or an internet outage. their internet is not down. If it were they would say that instead of acting like it is up and try to fix it as if it were up.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So uh, if one were to link to Smirk's posting and stuff on the forums - that would - kind of make this thread look silly, eh?

Yes it would. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2014
    Maybe the Elachi are in orbit above frisco...
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited December 2014
    Weather's always great in Baaahston, right? :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    One, the servers aren't located in the SF Bay Area.

Two, power outtages have not occured here in Los Gatos, CA (home of Cryptic -- and where I live/am right now.)

Yes, it's rainy like mad here. The media is overhyping/oversensationalizing the storm, imho. We've had serious drought conditions for some time. There will likely be damage from mudslides, flash flooding, etc. if the rains don't abate. But it's not the end of the world here.

And btw, power lines are not buried around here. They're on power poles.
  • rayduhzrayduhz Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I live in the Bay Area, its not as bad as the media like to portray it.
    edited December 2014
    Maybe the Elachi are in orbit above frisco...

That made me think about that one post from the whale thread...and the emergency tribble disposal hatch.
    tucana66 wrote: »
    The media is overhyping/oversensationalizing the storm, imho.

When they started naming winter storms...
    edited December 2014
    rayduhz wrote: »
    I live in the Bay Area, its not as bad as the media like to portray it.

California and its drought need the rain anyways!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Weather is not the main issue for outages in the bay area. for that I blame the guy who though it was a good idea to bury a string of glass in an area riddled with fault lines.
  • dontliketolosedontliketolose Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Rofl, it's a very, very little storm, it's just cryptic not getting the programming right again. Last year for the winter event with no new content they were down for a day or so and had to extend the event, because they didn't get the coding right.
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I enjoy the attacks on my post, thank you it only further shows the lack of any amount of REAL discussions about what and why no one posts in these forums. It was only a suggestion, as i heard about the storm and i was not aware that the servers were Boston.

Now, i return you to your normally TV program of bashing Cryptic for everything and anything.
    edited December 2014
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    I enjoy the attacks on my post, thank you it only further shows the lack of any amount of REAL discussions about what and why no one posts in these forums. It was only a suggestion, as i heard about the storm and i was not aware that the servers were Boston.

Now, i return you to your normally TV program of bashing Cryptic for everything and anything.

I don't bash Cryptic alone, though they generally are a good target. I bash everyone.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited December 2014
    Rofl, it's a very, very little storm, it's just cryptic not getting the programming right again. Last year for the winter event with no new content they were down for a day or so and had to extend the event, because they didn't get the coding right.

It's not just STO...
    edited December 2014
    Did the development team track down the cleaning lady already who decided to use the server socket for her vacuum cleaner?
  • karriqkarriq Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Storm can interrupt internet connection? Dont make me laugh... I live in Russia. And storms\snow\blizzard\meteor storm\Apocalypse - never interrutping any connection :P
  • kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    karriq wrote: »
    Storm can interrupt internet connection? I live in Russia. And storms\snow\blizzard\meteor storm\Apocalypse - never interrutping any connection :P

KOMRADE,

Superior Soviet Engineering
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes but guess what runs through those lines? Hint: the answer isn't magic.

Anyway, OP here's a link that I pulled from a second's use of google. Probably would have been easier than posting a thread.

https://twitter.com/PWECaptainSmirk/status/543123730528870401

I know that social media is a new-fangled watchamathingy that all them kids be using these days, but its not hard to pull information from it using conventional parts of the internet.

Some of us don't want Twitter or Facebook. ;)

At least Twitter is more searchable than Facebook for non-members when you are looking for a particular piece of information.

Hope Smirk is careful. At least where I am, other drivers go crazy in a little rain and create hell for all the more sensible drivers. :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • thumpyechothumpyecho Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Cryptic and Star Trek at California, servers in the ocean.