test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extreme FPS drop in some DQ maps

captainmorgan210captainmorgan210 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
I know I'm not the only one experiencing a severe FPS drop in some Delta Quadrant maps. They're mostly systems that you visit during patrol missions; however, the lag in these maps is so severe that they're nearly unplayable. I'm finding myself skipping these patrol missions entirely. So far the lag is affecting the following maps:

- Legira system
- Sakari system
- Shivolia system
- Parein system
- Kendren system
- Nanipia system
- Ocampan patrol location
- Zahl system
- Ram Izad system

I'm sure there's more but I haven't seen them all yet (I ended up rage-ending the last patrol mission when I saw the Legira system become a slide-show). The content is great and the patrol missions that take place in maps that are optimized and not a slide show are great; the missions in the problem maps would be great if the map didn't run the game like a slide-show. Please fix!
Post edited by captainmorgan210 on

Comments

• silverskyhigh2silverskyhigh2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm glad I'm not the only one the a drop in FPS, before I was getting 4-8 FPS but now I'm getting 1-3 FPS making it hard to kill enemy ships. I'm even using Razor Cortex to try to boost my FPS but that's not helping ether. If anyone else can help us please do.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I noticed such lags on all maps with purple nebulae. If I I turn my back to the nebulae it gets better, but facing them drops fps really heavy.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Same issue here. Severe FPS drops during some missions.
    Legira Patrol was one of them. The other one wss with that Ferengi who had srewed over half the galaxy. Could've been the leaking plasma from the disabled Benthan NPC ship.
    Both were barely playable.
    The other one was in Mindscape after entering the command ship. I think it was the green fog that was causing it. Now that was a real slideshow. Thankfully, I have capable Boffs who can clear enemies on their own.

So, to summarize: Green smoke sfx and purple background nebulae. Since the second one isn't an effect but just a drawn skybox, it might be color- or lighting-related.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Skipping this particular set of patrols is currently very tempting because of this nonsense; I hope it hasn't found its way into any of the meatier missions. Which leads me to ask how it slipped past QA and/or what assumptions were made about players' computers when these effects were being considered.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    The funniest thing is when it's lagging and you're warping out. There is so much lag, the ship just goes at what seems to be impulse speed in the animation.
  • sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have noticed this as well...

All DQ Space maps...but worse on those with nebulae in the background...and old maps run fine (like ISE, or old space patrols)
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
  • captainmorgan210captainmorgan210 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've updated the list of affected maps that I know of so far. One of the devs commented on the issue on Reddit and mentioned a workaround:

/renderscale .5

Typing the above into the chat box made the affected maps run fine (although at an obvious cost to rendering quality). That should keep the slide-show away for the time being until we get a fix.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've had to lower render lower than 50% to get certain maps listed above to run

Kinda makes me not wanna play these maps tbh
    JtaDmwW.png
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sorry to say but render scale .5 doesnt work these maps drop FPS to the point of being frustrating . reminds me of those bad white brushstrokes that happen 2 or so seasons ago . why cant the devs put in a way to shut these off completely is obvious that is a skybox issue that draws something that causes gpu to chug its not a phys or real object in the game its a static background object . which the player should be able to remove. there is no slider that changes these objects intensity .
    edited October 2014
    quepan wrote: »
    sorry to say but render scale .5 doesnt work these maps drop FPS to the point of being frustrating . reminds me of those bad white brushstrokes that happen 2 or so seasons ago . why cant the devs put in a way to shut these off completely is obvious that is a skybox issue that draws something that causes gpu to chug its not a phys or real object in the game its a static background object . which the player should be able to remove. there is no slider that changes these objects intensity .
    Dropping the renderscale worked for me and has worked for others as well. If your system can't handle renderscale .5 you may have to go even lower...
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I think i fixed it on my system.
    Just played Mindscape again. When i got to the part inside Cooper's bioship, i started fiddling with the graphics options.
    Usually, I play games with Anti Aliasing disabled, since i prefer better performance over rough edges. So, after having exhausted all other options, i turned that from off to the lowest setting and the slideshow gave way to very smooth framerates.

Gonna try some of the patrols tomorrow.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • anyonkaanyonka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I noticed this as well, I'm still trying to fix the problem. some nights I spend more time adjusting setting than actually playing the game. but I haven't tried lowering the render scale, but I'll try if I can get past the loading screen today.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Having the exact same problem and yes, its the background on those patrol levels. Use the camera to point down into black areas of space and it all goes okay. Another reason to not replay those awful patrols. How ON EARTH did this slip past Beta testing?
  • skydoc1skydoc1 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi guys,

so I took the bait, I spent 2000 Zen on ship upgrades and another 3000 Zen on the Eclipse Intel Cruiser (my wife has yet to find out).

I approached the Delta Quadrant (DQ) with the excitement and anticipation as all others only to find that every space mission I attempt is diabolical.

Even clicking on a bridge ability has a lag and the effects seem to have ended before the result is noticed.

I've now given up on the DQ. I tried the render fix and it didn't work for me :)

It's not even as though my rig can't handle it - I have a gaming rig that I built myself.

[*]AMD Bulldog Quad Core 4ghz processor
    [*]8 gb Ram
    [*]1gb AMD GC
    [*]1tb HDD
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro

I would imagine that trying to run this on my ageing laptop may cause problems but surely not a gaming rig that I use solely for STO?

It's comforting to hear that others are having the same problems but very very frustrating for us not to be able to complete the content we've so eagerly awaited!!
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    Having the exact same problem and yes, its the background on those patrol levels. Use the camera to point down into black areas of space and it all goes okay. Another reason to not replay those awful patrols. How ON EARTH did this slip past Beta testing?

Agreed. It's the background. Something they have added to it or screwed up.

At least it sounds like they are aware of the issue.
    edited October 2014
    List of impacted maps has been updated again.
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does a dev have an update to this, or does anyone else have another suggestion for this?

To be perfectly honest, it's killing a lot of excitement for doing these missions. I like the story, but if I can't play through them due to graphics issues caused by a skybox that should be disable-able, I'm tempted to skip it.

And if I skip enough, you know what that'll do for my desire to spend money since I can hardly use what I have. :(
  • knightswizard#3079 knightswizard Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I tested all options under Display - Video Card setting. Both Direct3d 9 options (9 and 9ex) provided good frame rates (30-45). The Auto and Direct 3d 11 options showed significant FPS drops (around the 5-7 range). I'm using AMD Radeon HD 5800 series.
  • cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    entnx01 wrote: »
    Does a dev have an update to this, or does anyone else have another suggestion for this?

To be perfectly honest, it's killing a lot of excitement for doing these missions. I like the story, but if I can't play through them due to graphics issues caused by a skybox that should be disable-able, I'm tempted to skip it.

And if I skip enough, you know what that'll do for my desire to spend money since I can hardly use what I have. :(

What worked for me was reducing the resolution scale which you can find in Options > Dispay. You'll want to reset it when you're done patrolling because it just looks awful. Also, Fullscreen mode works better for me than Windowed mode.
  • bi0f0dd3rbi0f0dd3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    making the maps "pretty" is useless when they're unplayable.....

wondering when a fix for this is coming in, putting off running these since the first time through was more then frustrating.
  • penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The only option I've found is setting graphics scale to the lowest and turning off msaa. It sucks but until support fixes this, this is the way to go.
  • bi0f0dd3rbi0f0dd3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    huh...now that the club is finished, maybe this actual game play issue can be addressed.
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Is there any acknowledgement from the devs that half the maps in are unplayable? I can't find the right combination of settings to get these maps to not play like slide shows.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This reminds me of City of Heroes (as many know, a past Cryptic project) when the 'Grandville' sector was introduced to City of Villains. Many folks who had great computers had their frame rates drop to a crawl in that zone. I believe they optimized some textures and other things and managed to improve it, but it was always laggy.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have to admit, I wondered with the launch of DR whether there would be FPS problems. Pre season 9 they have been getting really bad. But once Season 9 launched, there was a huge amount of people who could no longer run content except at sub 10FPS.

The issue has barely been addressed by the devs, so don't count your chickens on them looking into this. There was a long thread a while back that covered a lot of ideas and suggestions, but it never went anywhere.

That didn't surprise anyone mind you...

To those who are now having bad FPS? You are not alone...
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have found that the old standby for improving FPS in STO still works - that is, disable every single text floater and UI element that you can do without. Although it's obviously related to one or more particle effect that they are relying on more heavily in DR, the gains from disabling floaters are still disproportionately enormous.

Another thing, I get lower FPS in the new maps same as most people, but the numbers don't scale with renderscale or other graphics options - STO runs virtually the same for me a 1024*768 with everything on minimum and .5 renderscale, or at 4k with everything maxed. That is to say, marginally playable in most of the new zones, and quite playable in the older zones, with steady 60-100 FPS in old content, and 10-20 in newer. However, I can see 120fps at virtually all times with the GUI completely disabled. It's not just the new maps that are wonky, the UI still kills STOs performance, quite massively in fact.

skydoc1 wrote: »

It's not even as though my rig can't handle it - I have a gaming rig that I built myself.

[*]AMD Bulldog Quad Core 4ghz processor
    [*]8 gb Ram
    [*]1gb AMD GC
    [*]1tb HDD
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro

As to this machine - none of these specs are actually specific enough to make a determination as to whether or not STO should run well for you, quite aside from the fact that you describe a CPU that AMD never made, nor announced, nor ever referenced. Very possibly that rig could maybe run STO, but without even knowing what actual graphics card you are using (a 2006 FireGL 1gb card? A Radeon HD2900? Something else?) it is completely impossible to say if you can expect to run a modern game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Another patch that hasn't addressed this issue. Grrr.
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Still not fixed. Please do something!
  • mrj58mrj58 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Has there been any word about fixing this or has Cryptic given up completely?
  • thoth36thoth36 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jornado wrote: »
    I have found that the old standby for improving FPS in STO still works - that is, disable every single text floater and UI element that you can do without. Although it's obviously related to one or more particle effect that they are relying on more heavily in DR, the gains from disabling floaters are still disproportionately enormous.

Another thing, I get lower FPS in the new maps same as most people, but the numbers don't scale with renderscale or other graphics options - STO runs virtually the same for me a 1024*768 with everything on minimum and .5 renderscale, or at 4k with everything maxed. That is to say, marginally playable in most of the new zones, and quite playable in the older zones, with steady 60-100 FPS in old content, and 10-20 in newer. However, I can see 120fps at virtually all times with the GUI completely disabled. It's not just the new maps that are wonky, the UI still kills STOs performance, quite massively in fact.

Yes i find the exact same behaviour, changing graphics setting from an absolute minimum to the max only yields a couple frames per second difference.

Disabling all the UI almost doubles the FPS

Kobali prime UI on - 14 FPS:

http://s9.postimg.org/ktjca48f3/image.png

Kobali prime UI off (turned off by pressing Alt + F12) same scene, no change in any other settings - 23 FPS:

http://s11.postimg.org/4s1xosh7n/image.png