test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

would you create a new character now?

Comments

• vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am expecting them to go after contraband next for the simple reason it's the last thing they haven't deleted yet.

And so in anticpation of that I am not doing anything in-game, and I'd never consider doing another character, just waiting to see what happens with the next release ready to un-install
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No 3 is enough for me! Last one was the KDF and he's now Level 60. Too much time then and now it's worst. Everything has changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    patrickngo wrote: »
    actually, from a perverse point of view, Geko's the best reason to main a KDF-it's like flipping him off every time you log in.

Mmm....good point.

Off to roll an army of level one Klinks and log them on for only seconds at a time to TRIBBLE with the metrics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No, not a character i intend to play (farmers are another story, but currently my farmers are inactive too, sitting on hundreds of dil claims).
    I thought a second about a new character with intelligence background for the upcoming Promo Ship, but i dismissed the idea as a pretty bad one, the Reputations and DOFF "grind" is easily bearable, but:
    - 3 Months+ for the R&D System for a new toon
    - Endless Grind alone for the intelligence tree (and the ability to teach my IntBO the desired Skills)
    - plus: a *lot* of Dilithium, would go down the drain, all my Crafters worked over several days to get all the required upgrade kits, many of my characters (~20) worked hard in the salt.... err dilithium mines, for over a week... and that just for ONE Captain.
    One thing is for sure, STO cured me of my "alt-itis".
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • rynohawkrynohawk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hi, i'm really tired to be a level 50-60 players (grind fest, stfs boring as hell, xp grind, Delta Quadrant -> the most crappy thing ever created)

i want to create a new toon for playing all the old funny things again; but i hesitate really much.

you would create a new toon now, with the current status of the game?

Yes! Creating and leveling new characters is about my favorite thing to do right now.
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If I were to create new characters, it would only be for the backstories/situations I make up for them: a Bajoran alternating between a Constellation and a Chimera, then an Andorian alternating between the Andorian ship and the Prometheus. I already have 8 characters and I can barely manage that.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited December 2014

In other words, all the really interesting stuff, the Dyson Sphere, the Tholian stuff, the Delta Quadrant, it's all pretty much useless to new or returning players starting from the bottom. It takes too much grind to get there.

You have to be joking, you can get to doing dyson is like a week of evening play
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I personally wouldn't create a new character now, but that's just me.
    Before DR I had no problem keeping four toons at the very top end of gear and competitive in PVE and PVP.
    Now I have one at 64, one at 62, one at 60, and one at 51. I only have one ship geared to MK14 (no rarity upgrades). There is also no way I am touching the PVP queues at the moment.
    Its just a personal preference but I do like to try and keep all my toons playing at the same level and it is proving very difficult at the moment for me to do so. As a result, for me to make that Reman KDF Eng toon I've been considering would just be another headache/grindfest/cashcow.
    That's just my opinion.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    hi, i'm really tired to be a level 50-60 players (grind fest, stfs boring as hell, xp grind, Delta Quadrant -> the most crappy thing ever created)

i want to create a new toon for playing all the old funny things again; but i hesitate really much.

no way I would make a new toon........not happening..Ive quit upgrading 10 of my 16 toons as it is...there just isn't any point now with so many gates
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As is, I only play 2 characters, out of 5 total, both of which are KDF. I virtually never login on my Starfleet characters at all anymore. With all the reputation garbage, dilithium nerfs, and the insane amount of other grinds for good gear, there is no way I would create any more characters.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No way in hell . . . I have nine . . . Leveling as it is now will take long enough.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Would I start a new alt? Thats a hard question to answer.

There was a time I wanted one alt of each professional and faction. I was close to doing a KDF engineer, but dropped those plans when I saw LoR. 2 Romulans later, I still have only 1 engineer - my first Fed toon.

I might play a new faction if and when it's released, but it pains me to even consider it. The grind for xp is my major concern. No more hourly Mirror Incursions which was the easiest way to finish your leveling. It might be nice to revist all of the content again, but hell - I've done it 7 times already

I'm almost done leveling my initial seven to level 60 and finished their upgrades for a single set of gear. I am by no means finished. It's taken 5 weeks, $200 and a lot of frustration to do. Even more frustration now that they lowered the costs.

What holds me back is the loss of the current community. My fleet has for the most part moved on to other games, although we are maxed out construction wise. My friends list is down to a fraction, but I am starting to form new player groups with those who have stayed.

If the new faction was the Cooperative, Dominion or Cardassian, I would find it hard to say no. But thats the Trek Addict in me, and Cryptic knows it.

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If they made a new faction with the potatomen I'd use my 16th slot for a new alt!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hey there, I have 8 toons and enough „work“ on my hands to keep them at end game in my personal understanding of it.

For as long as there is no new faction added I will never erver see any reason to make a new toon after Delta Rising again.

To make a Paklet exploring the crafting system does have its appeal but no thank you.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Would I create a new toon, sure why not.

Would I spend any money or grind any R&D or Rep on her? Absolutly not.

I already have 8 alts, most of them stuck at various spots between 50 and 60, with only a couple having any rep or fleet gears. Hell most of them don't even have fleets, with the majority anymore being used as dil farmers for my main.

Heck the only reason a couple of my alts have a level over 50 is simply because of the mirror invasion event. None other then my main has dealt with the grind that is Delta Rising. I'll wait a few more months, get a few more levels in my primary alts from doing various events, then I'll probably do DR on them in a single push where I don't have to worry about the grind.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ok, i have finally created a new toon; she is level 45.

my observation:

- stories are still really cool, well written etc

- R&D system, i hate this thing, i'm just not a crafter. you need x things to create 1 thing; then you need x thing of your newly created item for creating an other kind of item

- upgrade system: thus in the cryptic's perfect world, you can increase in ranks with your favorite items: bull****.

the cost is insane (ec, dil). the cost in ec is just totally insane; because as you can't craft superior upgrades, you must buy them. And the dil cost, well, well, well :rolleyes:

- only 2 stfs a level 45 are still alive; this means that you can't earn fleet marks, dil (for the upgrade dil sink)

- omega force locked now at level 44/45; thus you can't earn marks for your future projects; and you can't learn how to play these stfs

fortunately as i wrote the stories are still very good, and i have created a very cool toon:P
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nonononono, I got rid of chars, not started new ones..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    you can create a new character and level it to 50 without doing any of the missions or as little as possible...

then you can do the missions for max xp...

Roms need to be Lvl 11 thou... to get new romulus established and select a faction to join... by then the duty officer system would also be open... think you need to finish "Neutral No More".

KDF need to finish the 1st arc and be level 11 as well.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I just did.
    A new char has a lot of advantages.
    - I have not done any quests past choosing my faction (new romulan) and am level 50 as of last night. All that first time mission XP is saved for level 60.
    - I know a lot more than I did when I started. By picking my level-up officers more carefully, I have 6 SRO officers now. I have R&D officers from my rewards from DO assignment rank ups.
    - I will get a sackful of dil for doing the rep grind again, and that is 50% as long with sponsors.
    - Gear will be cheap --- I know which items I want, and its about 15 total items from rep and fleet store. I already made weapons that are account bound XIV so I can use those.
    - I will have rank 15 crafting traits by the time I am 60 and geared.

by 2015 I will have him level 60, in a t6 ship, with a lot of spec points and strong gear. The costs will be marginal compared to his head start, and i will finally have a fully loaded tac toon.

Which does not really take into account your desire to replay missions and enjoy the game at lower levels --- it simply shows that DR is so flawed that starting over is cheaper and more efficient due to a variety of issues created by DR.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes I would. I currently have 3 Feds, 3 KDF and 2 Rom characters. My plans are to make one for each branch for each faction. I have the Tact, Eng and Sci for my Feds and KDF's. I have a Tact Rom KDF and an Eng Rom Fed. I am planing on getting one Sci Rom. But then someone pointed out that Fed and KDF Rom alligned characters have different options for Boff's, Doff's, ships and missions. So now I am working on plans to make three KDF and 3 Fed aligned Roms.

But for now. I am working on three mains to get them geared up and run through Delta Rising content. Once I have all of the current guys through DR, then I will make a new guy.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Roll up a Talaxian! Female of course; then have a good time dancing the hours away at the new club!
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nope, matter of fact i deleted 3 characters shortly after DR was released.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    btw, i wanted to create a new toon without the help of my other toons (no ec, no dil etc), and i don't have a shared account

it's not impossible, but you won't be able to play advanced stf before 2030

everything is this game is done to open players wallet. if you are an average player, you are always in front of walls, you can't enjoy fully the game.

R&D system: i have scanned half the galaxy for materials, and i found only a minority of useful materials for the creation of items (rubidium, z particle, tritanium). this is why cryptic have created the wonderful R&D box

and for the stfs:

- when you reach lvl50 with 1 toon, how can you hope earning enough dil and neural borg processors for rep items;

normal borg stfs -> no neural borg processor

advanced -> if you have still MK X, XI or MK XII gears, you can't succeed them only if you are in a good team (if you are lucky)

ok there are other rep, but a new player will want also the good borg sets

this game was just more funny, enjoyable and friendly before DR. I have 8 toons (now), but if i have begun to play at STO today, for sure i wouldn't create 8 toons
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2014
    If somebody would ask me if it worth making a new toon and start playing STO from start I would say no it doesn't.
    I think it is too much grind and too much ugly content that is forced on player after DR.

I even stopped playing my 50-60 full geared alts and i only continue to play from time to time with my main 60 char.

In fact I play much less now than I did before DR.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • culatoriculatori Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hell no.
    I haven't even bothered levelling up the Rom & Klink toons you're allowed as part of the basic package. Played my Rom until level 50 (still not completed most of the official quests, never STF'd) and the Klink until about level 15. Most days I never even bother to use them to run the basic R&D research mission or the academy history lesson.

At the moment I'm barely playing my level 60 Fed toon - login to run the winter event race, refine stored dil, kick off some Doff missions and if I'm really bored, hop over to one of the battlezones and run a token mission to get the daily bonus rep marks which I then chop in for a reward box in the vain hope it'll grant me a Powercell to save me enduring an STF.

I'm probably the worst sort of player - I login daily so I probably appear in the metrics even though I'm usually out in under an hour, but I don't waste time on STFs and don't buy Zen or even bother Dil > Zen at the moment.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just did and I'm working towards making this my new main. And I must say that of all the various costs involved in doing that, what was added with DR factors no where near the top of the list (space traits and spire consoles [considering the FC cost on a new character] are among those that are, way to whine guys.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    btw, i wanted to create a new toon without the help of my other toons (no ec, no dil etc), and i don't have a shared account

it's not impossible, but you won't be able to play advanced stf before 2030

everything is this game is done to open players wallet. if you are an average player, you are always in front of walls, you can't enjoy fully the game.

R&D system: i have scanned half the galaxy for materials, and i found only a minority of useful materials for the creation of items (rubidium, z particle, tritanium). this is why cryptic have created the wonderful R&D box

and for the stfs:

- when you reach lvl50 with 1 toon, how can you hope earning enough dil and neural borg processors for rep items;

normal borg stfs -> no neural borg processor

advanced -> if you have still MK X, XI or MK XII gears, you can't succeed them only if you are in a good team (if you are lucky)

ok there are other rep, but a new player will want also the good borg sets

this game was just more funny, enjoyable and friendly before DR. I have 8 toons (now), but if i have begun to play at STO today, for sure i wouldn't create 8 toons

Sort of. This has a lot of truth but it is also heavily exaggerated.
    advanced stf is indeed going to be 6 months of hard play out of reach for a new toon on a new account with no money spent. The issue is simply earning enough dil to upgrade items AND get the items from the rep/fleet stores AND unlock things with zen on a new account etc. From scratch as an experienced player, 6 months. As a noob, 2 years or more could be needed as they have to learn the tricks for farming dil and playing the exchange and what get is good, and which can be avoided, etc.

R&D --- you are doing it wrong. Make mark 2 items, pay 1k dil to upgrade them. Use a blue upgraded token--- costs green materials and a little EC to craft --- and bam, you have purple items that will carry you from day one all the way to level 50. At 50, you need to either upgrade them more or earn better, both are easily doable in-game. Crafted can be endgame viable if you are picky when making your mk 2s, but it takes weeks of real time to get a full set of critdX3 weapons. You won't need a blue resource until you hit 50 this way, and then you can farm them with your rep marks from normal STFS.

STF item tokens is a HUGE issue. I agree 100% that new characters will have a massive struggle to earn these. You can do it -- normal stfs drop a few, you get a few from hitting max rep level, and you can get some from the hourly boxes / daily boxes projects. But its going to be difficult. Borg specifically may be troublesome ... but look again. What do you NEED to have?

weapons- crafted.

consoles, fleet tactical. AT MOST 5 rep consoles that require various rep STF tokens. Use your
    tier 5 rewards to buy these, problem solved.

shield: elite fleet: done.

deflector: not critical, crafted, free purple quest reward, or rep, or fleet can all work here. You may choose to spend big on it but if not a sci toon, you can use a cheap one, and if sci, JH and Solanae are both decent freebies...

engines--- JH will suffice
    warp -- use OB core & beam with AP crafted for starting out. If rom, solanae or something will do for now.

and so on. Bottom line --- you don't earn a full omega set as some weird self imposed requirement for advanced STF. Instead, you can make an effective build using minimal STF gear tokens to allow you to do the advanced STFs for the remaining items of sets that you want. Yes, I have done this ... most of my trash-alts run omni AP set with fleet and quested gear and can do fine in advanced STFs. I can't solo the advanced ones, but I pull my weight.

And if you upgraded your weapons to XIV and purple, you can do advanced with no issues. This costs resources, but not STF tokens. Anyone can do it, just means farming a lot of dil.

The whole thing I outlined here is extremely high in DIL costs. That is going to take a brand new player over a year of 8k daily capping to get. BUT 50% or so of those costs are nothing new; the price of rep and fleet gear has not changed, and crafted upgraded weapons is not much different from fleet weapons in dil costs (to XII).

As far as upgrades go, the only items that need to be upgraded in order to do well are weapons and tac consoles. The rest of it is more or less optional for PVE.
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As I said on another post, I just made a KDF after two-and-a-half-years of stonewalling and I enjoyed it so much that I actually remembered what made me fall in love with the game in the first place. I'm at 53 now and I still have quite a bit to do before the Delta Quadrant, plus DOFFing, so hopefully it won't be so much of a hassle to get to 60.

And this is with all low-rent stuff (Solanae Mk XII, Exchange-bought weapons, etc). :D