test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you think Cryptic has done well with STO?

thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
Part of good feedback is conveying what is being done well in addition to what isn't working. So, what do you think Cryptic has done well with STO?

(P.S. You can't answer "nothing" because then you would have literally made a post to say nothing.) ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The ships I want to play with are in the game (despite the debates on their status). The stories are full of references to the shows and I approve of the involvement with the original actors and actresses.

Customization is also pleasant despite varying opinions on the limits set.

Thank goodness we can share captain names. Unlike some other properties out there, there can be more than one "Mary" in our world.

Aside from my Lifetime membership and the Amazon pre-order, I was able to obtain everything I want from the C-store simply by playing the game.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Part of good feedback is conveying what is being done well in addition to what isn't working. So, what do you think Cryptic has done well with STO?

(P.S. You can't answer "nothing" because then you would have literally made a post to say nothing.) ;)

Some, if not most, if the story missions.

Getting the voice of Duke Nukem as a Klingon/Prophet in Of Bajor or one of those (immersion breaking sure, but for a Duke fan, a bit of fun).

The Excelsior ship model.

Those are the only totally positive, as in really shining spots in my STO memories, that I can think of off the top of my head.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The communicators look pretty good... And The Vulcan ears.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    err...i'm not just saying this to say it, but i cant think of anything. To me everything is just 'passable' and nothing really makes me say 'gomg this is amazing they dun gud'.

EDIT: ohhhh wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait....i just thought of one. The Voyager interior was done really well. I'm a ST: Voyager fan so i went through the interior during the Mindscape mission checking out every detail and console. Its too bad that interior that detailed isnt standard. I would prefer interior to also be the right scale, but i guess due to POV and game engine reasons the bridge interiors and hallways have to be huge. But some bridges are soooooo huge that it is ridiculous. Then i hop into something like the Narcine Bridge and i think to myself...why is this so small?
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The ships I want to play with are in the game (despite the debates on their status). The stories are full of references to the shows and I approve of the involvement with the original actors and actresses.

Customization is also pleasant despite varying opinions on the limits set.

Thank goodness we can share captain names. Unlike some other properties out there, there can be more than one "Mary" in our world.

All of this.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The monetization of the game.

Many folks may not appreciate it, but They have done an excellent job of it.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd say the character customization options and also those for the ships (well at least those with plenty of options) are pretty well done. You can create a wide variety of styles for both and have a really unique character or ship. There are some areas that are too limited but there's plenty of other areas where the options available are pretty overwhelming.

Also "most" of the story missions are pretty good at capturing a Stark Trek feel I think. Though I do think some of the foundry authors do a better job than the actual devs sometimes.
    SulMatuul.png
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Vaadwaur are amazingly well designed, both their artwork and their behavior. I would love if more of the current NPC factions were revamped to use similar tactics.

Space combat in general is fun. While it has gotten a bit spammy lately, finishing an enemy battleship off with a salvo of torpedoes always brings a smile to my face.

Most of the recent story missions are awesome, and I like how they've taken a darker turn. "Mind Game", "Devil's Choice", and "All That Glitters" especially.

The Guardian-class is amazing. So is the Romulan Aelahl. I'm glad the newer models are higher quality than the originals.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    DR's writing quality in the actual story missions has largely been a dramatic improvement over what came before. Among other things, no obvious plot holes so far, unlike "A Step Between Stars" and "Surface Tension". And Taco's team did a great job on the environments.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention the environmental design has improved exponentially. ESD and Kobali Prime are just a couple of examples.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The ship combat and story lines are my favorite parts of STO. The environments are fantastic and the ship art team is doing better now (Pathfinder omg yes). I love all the different uniforms and customization I can do with my crew.

These are the things that keep me coming back even if I vehemently disagree with other aspects of the game.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So much to list but i will keep it brief to the latest expansion, i think the story-line and content as it relates to DR, to the repealing down and the mechanics that they have introduced. They have introduced allot of really great mechanics into the expansions they have introduced but have lacked placing those mechanics into the other parts of the game. I find that the Kaboli, to the Vaadwaar are very well done in the way they look and interact, to much of the ground work that is far more fluid in regards to the story.

Over all, i think the ships are well done, to the stations and i think that the character creator is the most powerful within the MMO world currently. It could be better, but i think overall it does what it needs to in making a variety of different species.

I think they can do allot better than what they have created already, they could take what they have given us and build upon that. I would hope that the devs seen this thread, it is nice change to the positive of STO vs. the negative and i am sure that the negative is something that devs don't want to see, but if you are going to do that at least be constructive.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like the story missions, mostly the old FE's and everything that came after. And many environments and maps are very pretty.....

The ships look pretty good too, in a qualitative sense, taste can't be accounted for.

One of my personal highlights are probably negative objectively speaking, but I love the awkward cutscenes with characters desperately trying to convey emotions by spamming inappropriate emotes. :)
  • raifin1701raifin1701 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I still enjoy STO, and here is what I like:

-I think it captures a good amount of the Trek spirt, that you could fit in an MMO.
    -It continues the Trek story
    -I love when they bring Trek actors back to voice the game.
    -I like being able to play iconic Trek ships!
    -I enjoy the foundry, but I wish it could be better linked into the game.
    -The game works well to bring fleets together and easily play/chat together.
    -I think the Free to Play model that PWE/Cryptic is using is the best of I have seen in any MMO type game. You can play it all for free without limits, anc can buy what you want, or work toward getting it.
    -I really like the process/contest they used creating the Odyssey, and I think it's a great flagship. Bortas'q is nice as well, and I look forward to T6 versions of these iconic ships
    -I like that Star Trek Magazine has fiction by Christine Thompson (sp?) dealing with STO, and the future of the Star Trek Universe.
    -The customization of the captain and the BOFFs is very neat, and sometimes I spend way too much time oufitting my crew. I like the change to the 2410 Odyssey uniform for all generic staff as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Star Trek Online Enlistment Date: February 2010
    Fleet website: www.stoacademy.com
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They did the best job offering both space and ground. While they may not be the best at either, they are about the only ones that offer both fairly well.

They did do space battles right... manual piloting, managing shield facings, and firing arc's work very well, and space battles in STO are the top of the genre from an individual pilots perspective.....I have yet to actually play Elite Dangerous, but the FPS doesn't seem to give you as much situational awareness of the entire battle zone the way STO and EVE does does, and EVE has a hard time of keeping focus of what's actually happening around your ship with how much of it has to be dedicated to focusing on the battle as a whole.

They did F2P right as well - at first anyway. - you either grind in a real life job and buy resources (dil) you need for projects, or you grind those resources in game to trade for cash store credit from other players....To bad they didn't limit game grind to just that area of the game. Casual players with jobs will pay to avoid spending their time grinding in game for their projects, - they won't pay if they also have to grind on top of that anyway.

and finally

They *USE TOO* do casual gaming very well... when I had 10-15 min of game time in the day, i could get into a fun space battle, do well, and be happy... now I got to spend 2,000 hours of grinding on my own to be geared up enough for that 10 min fight - no longer worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tons of great stuff.

Just in DR...

specialization tree is awesome.
    intel skills are awesome.

bug hunt and borg disconnected are both fun, BH is a little dull for having to re-do for ancient cells, though, after a while.

several of the new ships are pretty good.

upgraded gear to XIV is nice.

general difficulty increase is challenging and well done for the average player (exception: failure conditions).

not to mention older content, which had a lot of nice things as well.
  • eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The jokes.. I mean, like the one that Gako made when he told us that the Queues are full or the well know "DR is the best expancion ever..."

Thouse jokes are just epic XD
    raifin1701 wrote: »
    -I think it captures a good amount of the Trek spirt, that you could fit in an MMO.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Wut?

Rly?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The character creator is one of my favourite aspects of the game.

I love how you can create almost any affiliated species of Captain in such detail. Especially with the "alien" option where you can create and write about a species you made up and put into your STO universe.

The variety of ships with different stengths, abilities and unique consoles is another thing I really appreciate.

I enjoy the storyline bits of the missions. Most of the time they do have a "Star Trek" feel to them and they show your character's growth as a Captain not just in numbers and levelling up. You're gradually given missions of more importance as your rank goes up. Really well done on putting in as many references to the shows as possible. Even the DOFF missions where you provide antigens for various illneses are illnesses mention in passing on the shows. That's a wonderful level of detail.

Bringing in the actors to voice their character roles is a very nice touch. I hope to see more of it in the furture.

The level of comparative ease of the storyline missions was another huge plus. One could just play through the game and enjoy the stories.

Legacy of Romulus overall was pretty well done. It was refreshing to play as a civilian refugee turned freedom fighter rather than a professional soldier on a job. The new storylines were also mostly pleasant to go through-at least while it was faction specific. I'd still like to solidly hear and see a bit more of how D'Tan's government operates and real hard updated information on how much stronger/bigger/more populous the Republic is.

Devs.... Cryptic. You hear a lot of negativity on the forums but really overall the game is good. Less grind, better rewards and more storylines would please me immensely.

Oh and the Fleet/guild setup is really nice too. I've made some good friends in my fleets.
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I found the story and basic design of the new delta to be pretty good especially the kobali war zone . I am thinking they will add a space zone eventually (at least this is my secret hope)

As far as new work that is lacking that is not properly done the q system revamp is pretty bad. All in all this is my main complaint. The rest I think is done well.

Perhaps the dilithium prices on the crafting system is too high and I dont like the concept of a dice roll in conjunction with using a valuable resource like dilithium, but the RNG part only gets bad at the epic level so I can understand why they added it (to keep epic truly rare). So in a way I guess its not bad. The dilithium costs only get insane when your chasing an epic so.. i am kind of flip flopping over this new system and the issue of dilithium.
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I know that I'm probably in the minority here, as there has recently been several buffs to rewards there - but New Romulus.

I find the environments on New Romulus to be beautiful, the music relaxing, and the dailies there to be tasks that while not always non-violent, are at least the type of tasks that Starfleet officers would be asked to do (maintain security, gather research, etc).

I also enjoy Kobali Prime and some bits of the Dyson battlezone.

Space combat in general is usually fun.

The latest environment redesigns are magnificent (ESD and Club 47, Risa Revamp).
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Increase all costs across the board, whilst decreasing almost the whole enjoyment factor. :(
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Good question.

Space combat is fun and engaging. It's visceral and yet still feels like classic Star Trek.

The ship designs are excellent. The recent Guardian is by far the best designed ship in the game maintaining the 'canon' while honoring just about everything else before it. There are a few dogs out there, but for the most part the ship designs stand out.

Mission Stories are for the most part, thoughtful and engaging. Not everything is a winner, but as with the original series there are highs and lows.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    New star trek stories and the continuation of the canon prime universe
    space combat (the only other reason I play)

hoping they keep building on these successes and expanding to a FLEET ADMIRAL type of space combat...
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I know that I'm probably in the minority here, as there has recently been several buffs to rewards there - but New Romulus.

I find the environments on New Romulus to be beautiful, the music relaxing, and the dailies there to be tasks that while not always non-violent, are at least the type of tasks that Starfleet officers would be asked to do (maintain security, gather research, etc).

I also enjoy Kobali Prime and some bits of the Dyson battlezone.

Space combat in general is usually fun.

The latest environment redesigns are magnificent (ESD and Club 47, Risa Revamp).

Yeah for me as well in general all their open zones I truly enjoy which is why i hope they add another space open zone like the one over the dyson area. I like drozana for some reason as well as a place to hangout possibly because its not too large.

I forgot about Risa I like that as well. I wish there was more going round on it all year round. I also like Romulus by the way.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's actually a lot of things that Cryptic/PWE has done well in this game. My favorite thing is the Dyson Ground Battlezone. It's incredibly fun and very rewarding even though it's ridiculous from a Star Trek purist point of view. Also, with a very small number of exceptions (THE K'VORT DAMMIT) the game has pretty much every single ship that I ever dreamed of flying as a kid.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    The did an excellent job building a new shopping mall Errr... ESD .

Their story missions are always interesting in terms of story.

I just wish they had something more for veterans to stick around....like a PvP expansion.

I'd like to see a galaxy wide map revamp in which the borders between empires are capturable PvP zones.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • catriecatrie Member Posts: 0 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    The Fed side is really well done. There are a ton of clothing options, places to hold parties that are easy to get to, and a good overall experience.

However, I feel that is lacking on the KDF side. The clothing options are extremely limited, even more so if you aren't a female Orion. About the only KDF-only place anyone goes to is Qo'nos. I feel the KDF experience is sadly lacking, compared to that of the Fed side
  • lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A lot of everything which has basically nothing to do with Star Trek.

In terms of Star Trek, their designs tend towards terrible, the storylines are terrible, and the setting simply doesn't support the intended gameplay, which results in a double down on the terrible designs and storylines.

The mechanics of the ship combat is pretty damn cool, and ground combat hangs together well enough to make the space/ground combination work.

The actual foundational bones of this game are crying out for an original IP, because they're really rather good but DON'T WORK with Star Trek. The way beam arrays work, in terms of how they're stacked up and result in an enraged disco ball that's tripping the **** out, is terrible for Star Trek. It would, however, be totally ballin' if you were cruising about in some sort of Earth Alliance Warlock-esque brick o' death. The ability of your five man team to relentlessly wade through hails of fire in the process of slaughtering waves of enemies is about as Star Trek as Sauron, but if you were actually be some sort of power armour laden, genetically engineered, or transhuman death machine.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]