test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Construction work

captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
Hey Cryptic, do you think we could have tasks on New Talax, or New Romulus involving construction vehicles and equipment, like Bulldozers, and Jackhammers, or would there be different devices in the 25 century?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    captz1pp wrote: »
    Hey Cryptic, do you think we could have tasks on New Talax, or New Romulus involving construction vehicles and equipment, like Bulldozers, and Jackhammers, or would there be different devices in the 25 century?

Please don't ask them to add more content, to which they would either attach a huge price tag or an endless amount of grinding.

But seriously. Construction vehicles, perhaps land based versions of Work Bees, would be pretty cool to see or pilot.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I had a really snarky comment all typed up and ready, and then I reread it and realized it was just totally mean. So I will respond merely with.

Please god no. Please god why. No. Please. Why. No. Oh god please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »

Because technological development doesn't just include ray-guns and rocket ships? That's part of the Star Trek's original pop-culture appeal, yah know.....which isn't to say "yah, people will be raving about futuristic construction methods in action!" but just to point out that yours is a rather odd position to take in the communicator and sliding door franchise.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »

Because no one tells a fleet admiral "no" when he says he wants to play with the scoopy-bucket machine?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »

Because no one tells a fleet admiral "no" when he says he wants to play with the scoopy-bucket machine?

What if it tries to declare it as his new flagship? I think there's some point where you're justified in gently leading him away...
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What if it tries to declare it as his new flagship? I think there's some point where you're justified in gently leading him away...

The U.S.S. Caterpillar is simply showing a display of military force to the aggressor mountains of Quarry.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    I don't think there ARE ground versions of Work Bees.
    I feel like anything they'd make for construction use, would be able to fly.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited December 2014
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »

That was the gist of the response I originally had typed. With a bit more sarcasm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

As far as this goes with this topic. I would more so think it would be where the player is actually building stuff and that they would have different tools and perhaps maybe stuff like those hovering wheel barrow things can't remember what they are called.

If there is actually any kind of war front of anything in the future that would be something new to do something outside the alpha quadrant but maybe kind of like a situation like in the DS9 episode Seige of AR-558 or whatever the number was. It also would be a change compared to the way most ground missions are where the npc's are just waiting around for someone to kill them. Instead where they are actually coming at you. So that could be a start of an idea on whatever comes next for ground combat anyways heh.
    edited December 2014
    As far as this goes with this topic. I would more so think it would be where the player is actually building stuff and that they would have different tools and perhaps maybe stuff like those hovering wheel barrow things can't remember what they are called.

If there is actually any kind of war front of anything in the future that would be something new to do something outside the alpha quadrant but maybe kind of like a situation like in the DS9 episode Seige of AR-558 or whatever the number was. It also would be a change compared to the way most ground missions are where the npc's are just waiting around for someone to kill them. Instead where they are actually coming at you. So that could be a start of an idea on whatever comes next for ground combat anyways heh.

This is actually some good reasoning. A planet with a gravitational or magnetic field that would make flying construction vehicles difficult, or would perhaps have some kind of natural particle field in the atmosphere that would make the use of tractor beams to move heavy construction materials around null.

The Star Trek series (and even STO) has written off technobabble as a reason why present technology is useless when the story calls for it. For example the tetryon field Jadzia Dax created in Blood Oath to make directed energy weapons nullified in order to create the aesthetic that this was going to be a melee battle for Kor, Kang, and Koloth.

Personally, I would not mind going Bob the Builder on the ground to help the Romulans or whatever aliens-of-the-week who need raw manpower to repair or build a new home.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In getting back to the question about "New Talax" i wonder if Cryptic is going to create that as a social/construction planet, after all we do need a shipyard in the DQ and an outpost federation headquarters instead of this reliance on the Dyson Sphere. As well, the Taxaxians need help, as well they have done well for themselves and are apart of the federation, know they are not member's yet but their new planet could become apart of that new federation expansion an alliance in the DQ.

If and that is a BIG if, Cryptic could allow for the building of community based projects for the entire community, not only the ability of defense platforms, but the building of New Talax buildings, shipyards etc.
    edited December 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Personally, I would not mind going Bob the Builder on the ground to help the Romulans or whatever aliens-of-the-week who need raw manpower to repair or build a new home.

This is something i would welcome as well, allow us to mine in certain areas within the areas of or within New Talax for raw materials that would be needed for Romulus or New Talax. It would give more depth and purpose to the game itself. Also, why not build a station, shipyards etc as well.
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Certainly good points, more than my simply thinking that too much "excitement" can be boring.
    edited December 2014
    Certainly good points, more than my simply thinking that too much "excitement" can be boring.

Its nice to bound things off of different individuals on the forums.
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014

Honestly? Ground versions of Work Bees... probably are just Work Bees. It's not like trek doesn't have ubiquitous antigrav or anything.

Although I'd love to see the work bees with the trailer bits.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Well... there was a forklift in the reboot Star Trek...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited December 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... there was a forklift in the reboot Star Trek...

Now you've gone and done it...
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Forklift

Apparently there was also one on the Horizon...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Might be worth exploring as a multi-purpose props to pursue for STO. Somewhere on the whiteboard should be some semblance of an exploration system to be added into STO. I would imagine that faction built outposts and colonies would be a part of such a thing. Not just in space. But on the ground as well.

Imagine what we do in the Foundry with such props?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited December 2014

you have industrial replicators for that.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Why not, as long as I could delegate for that my engineers instead doing it as Admiral/General. Enough that as diplomatic officials I was made to run allover some base to get spices for dinner.
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    you have industrial replicators for that.

Not exactly, industrial replicators can create some parts, but you still have to put them together.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    Why not, as long as I could delegate for that my engineers instead doing it as Admiral/General. Enough that as diplomatic officials I was made to run allover some base to get spices for dinner.

Not exactly, industrial replicators can create some parts, but you still have to put them together.

some where were said that even ships are replicated in 25 century, some novel or something.
    so it seam you don't need anything, except something that will put replicator where you wont it, and push a button.

dull, i know :)
    edited December 2014
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    some where were said that even ships are replicated in 25 century, some novel or something.
    so it seam you don't need anything, except something that will put replicator where you wont it, and push a button.

dull, i know :)

However, as pointed out in the TNG Tech Manual, if you could replicate a ship at the touch of a button, you wouldn't need to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014

No, because that's enlisted work, not the job of a commissioned officer.

Nope. As jonsills brought up regarding the Starfleet main battle tanks in my ULC5 fic, if the antigrav fails, you can't get at them to repair them without hoisting the whole thing off the ground. A wheeled or tracked vehicle stays elevated from the ground even when the power's off.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/