test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

And the Oscar for the Most Fun Grind goes to Tides of Ice!

doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
I really really REALLY love that mission. Never gets old. Sure its not as fun grinding the first 5 just throwing snowballs, but once you get a snow gun of some type, OH HELL YEAH!

And I cant believe Im saying this, but the snow borg need a BUFF. Now that most of us have snowguns, when 3/4 of the instance is well equipped, the borg snow queen goes down WAY too easy. The second she popped up, I got two icicle shots into her from my Impaler gun and she was dropped. Her fight should feel longer IMO.

Id like to see regular snow borg get a 50% hitpoint buff, borg bosses get hitpoints doubled, and the borg queen buff her hitpoints X5.

I like how the side runs have two spawn points for the snowmen, so when the first wall falls, they can spawn in front of you and in back of you. Then its just hilarious fun chaos trying to run them down so they dont get past. The line must be drawn HERE, NO FURTHER!

When we all have good guns, and turrets and launchers, we're too good for the barrage.

Maybe its perfectly balanced for half the instance or a little less to beat it, but Im seeing 3/4 or more of the instance at the event and we're MOWING them down and fighting for kills lol.

Has anyone had a gingerbread man yelling BLUE LOZENGE RUN in your dreams yet? :D

Edit: I change my mind about the buffs on page 2
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
Post edited by doubleohnine on

Comments

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Only 50%? Nah, try double. She NEVER lasted more than 10 seconds, even yesterday. No way only a 50% increase would do.
    Has anyone had a gingerbread man yelling BLUE LOZENGE RUN in your dreams yet? :D
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't like ground much (hate it usually) but it is kinda fun, but now that even first timers have decent guns, the borg snow queen goes down in less than 5 seconds unless the instance your in is completely empty (from what I've seen that's quite rare)
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014

No, for me it's Jeri Ryan shouting obscenities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    theagoebtheagoeb Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have *fun* dreams...
  • Options
    synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, a really fun game for sure. Love this. at least once I got a snowblower :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    theagoeb wrote: »
    You have *fun* dreams...

Long story, but it involves a Trek convention, a burlap sack, a life-sized Chakotay cutout and 3 jars of Frosted Mini-Wheats in the back of a Cadillac El Dorado. Good times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it is fun... would love to how rewards work I don't think I've gotten one for every wave yet... I use The Big One could be related that.

oh and why does the line on the far right almost always fail first. anyone else note that?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have to either do X amount of damage or kill X amount of Snowmen per wave to get a reward.

I used The Impaler once, barely got any rewards. Swapped to the Snowblower and just hosed down waves, continued to get 2-3 per wave.
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014

And I cant believe Im saying this, but the snow borg need a BUFF.

yes the queen doesn't have enough hp once everyone has a gun, but I am assuming they tuned it for when people are just using snowballs because she would be impossible to kill if everyone was just using snowballs I think.

I guess the zone would have to be full in order for he to die to all snowball throwers.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    it is fun... would love to how rewards work I don't think I've gotten one for every wave yet... I use The Big One could be related that.

oh and why does the line on the far right almost always fail first. anyone else note that?
    the black and blue lanes have a secondary spawn point near the second ice wall that becomes active at wave 6. so they have more snow borg to kill. in waves 1-5 you can just split people between the four lanes equally, but in waves 6-9 you need to have a few people move to the sides.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have to either do X amount of damage or kill X amount of Snowmen per wave to get a reward.

I used The Impaler once, barely got any rewards. Swapped to the Snowblower and just hosed down waves, continued to get 2-3 per wave.

I'm betting kills not damage. I hit em fine but snowblowers always get the kills and I'm too lazy to buy a new gun. plus I like the one I got.
    the black and blue lanes have a secondary spawn point near the second ice wall that becomes active at wave 6. so they have more snow borg to kill. in waves 1-5 you can just split people between the four lanes equally, but in waves 6-9 you need to have a few people move to the sides.

that not it, I see it fall before that most of the time. I keep a close eye on that so I can run to help if needed.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just completed last run for the night. That part in the OP where I said buff the regular snowmen, NEVER MIND.

Was just in one with maybe 2 gun-armed men per lane at the start. We were quickly overwhelmed, and one of us would get frozen and then they just started bum rushing the ice walls. Reinforcements didnt show up in time. Before we knew it our backs were against the tunnel! It was an ice bath down there! Frickin Omaha Beach with frosty borg men all up in our grills! I heard some crying for their mothers. That was even more fun than being among a full instance of captains to fight along side.

The regular snowmen and mid tier bosses need NO buffs. Forget I said that. At the end, there was maybe 10 of us fighting the queen. The fight lasted longer, but she still goes down faster than the snow Baron in gingerbread land.

Maybe Cryptic figured after all the fighting, go easy on us with the queen. But hey, instead of the 5X Hitpoint boost I proposed, a 3X queen boost would be just fine for a well armed dozen man team.

SO.MUCH.FUN. :D
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I found Winter Wonderland kind of boring at best last year, Tides of Ice has single-handedly redeemed the whole event for me and made it a HUGE amount of fun. I look forward to every time it runs and watch the clock to know when I get to line up and fight snowborg again.

No sarcasm, no mocking, I'm 100% serious in saying Tides of Ice is MADE OF WIN. :D

Tides of Ice is MADE OF ICE. :D
  • Options
    chrishellmax2363chrishellmax2363 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Youre ice is futile. Resistance is iceless.

Really classic.

I agree with the hp boost on the snow queen. GIve more reward,s but more hps. Sometimes i get there and theyve killed her already.

I love how the snowmen combine to become something different. Love it.

Thanks dev. That part of Winter wonderland. Perfect.

now can i have a plush borg toy or pet? Pretty please. I shall call him Bob of Borg.
    Whether you think you are right or wrong, either way you are RIGHT.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ya seriously, Tides of Ice for this year's best grind of 2014, epic fun with or without all lanes up.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    cptndata1cptndata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I want sarcasm detector and his friends to make a video of all of them running the event with snowblowers...I bet they can get over 50k DPS :O ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real join date September 2012
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just completed last run for the night. That part in the OP where I said buff the regular snowmen, NEVER MIND.

Was just in one with maybe 2 gun-armed men per lane at the start. We were quickly overwhelmed, and one of us would get frozen and then they just started bum rushing the ice walls. Reinforcements didnt show up in time. Before we knew it our backs were against the tunnel! It was an ice bath down there! Frickin Omaha Beach with frosty borg men all up in our grills! I heard some crying for their mothers. That was even more fun than being among a full instance of captains to fight along side.

The regular snowmen and mid tier bosses need NO buffs. Forget I said that. At the end, there was maybe 10 of us fighting the queen. The fight lasted longer, but she still goes down faster than the snow Baron in gingerbread land.

Maybe Cryptic figured after all the fighting, go easy on us with the queen. But hey, instead of the 5X Hitpoint boost I proposed, a 3X queen boost would be just fine for a well armed dozen man team.

SO.MUCH.FUN. :D
    Try it with just 6 players, talk about being over run, I think we all got held right away as the borg just blew through all of the ice walls, we ended up with our backs to the tunnel, in the end 190 escaped but we got the rest and the queen, not bad going considering we were all getting held regularly, hellish at the time but still damned good fun.
  • Options
    originalkaticoriginalkatic Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll admit, as someone who's generally down on anything in STO that wasn't sourced or originated by live action Trek, I'm usually pretty negative about the cr*p Cryptic adds.

I think their ship designs are fugly, their combat centric game focus ridiculous as long as they're determined to avoid fixing PvP or heating up the War storyline, I think the lengths they go to shoehorn monetization and grind into the game are frankly insulting, and their PR and Dev-Doublespeak disrespectful of their players intelligence.

That being said.. Tides of Ice is content done correctly.

Imagine a PvE zone where you (as a Fed) are facing a horde of unshielded Klingon Bekk (enlisted) as they try to get through your lines of defense and take a Federation facility.

You could have virtually the same mechanics and gameplay in a PvE Daily that people would actually play and that makes sense for the storyline of STO.

One that can be tweaked to be for any faction. Klingon Warriors defending a facility against the Feds, Romulan Republic troops defending a facility against the Tal-Shiar..

Or, imagine a large (20 vs 20) PvP Queue with two lanes and shields disabled, forcefields and turrets, attack and counterattack..
    Original Join Date: January 2010. Ragequit Date: January 7th 2012. Return Date: October 23rd 2014.

Almost called it.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Snowmen need a buff.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My fleetmates and I are really enjoying Tides. Last year I didn't get so much out of Winter Wonderland, because of them gating the epohh tags behind that stupid race that I have never been able to successfully do.

I think Tides could stand to run more often, but otherwise I like it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'll admit, as someone who's generally down on anything in STO that wasn't sourced or originated by live action Trek, I'm usually pretty negative about the cr*p Cryptic adds.

I think their ship designs are fugly, their combat centric game focus ridiculous as long as they're determined to avoid fixing PvP or heating up the War storyline, I think the lengths they go to shoehorn monetization and grind into the game are frankly insulting, and their PR and Dev-Doublespeak disrespectful of their players intelligence.

That being said.. Tides of Ice is content done correctly.

Imagine a PvE zone where you (as a Fed) are facing a horde of unshielded Klingon Bekk (enlisted) as they try to get through your lines of defense and take a Federation facility.

You could have virtually the same mechanics and gameplay in a PvE Daily that people would actually play and that makes sense for the storyline of STO.

One that can be tweaked to be for any faction. Klingon Warriors defending a facility against the Feds, Romulan Republic troops defending a facility against the Tal-Shiar..

Or, imagine a large (20 vs 20) PvP Queue with two lanes and shields disabled, forcefields and turrets, attack and counterattack..

Would probably be fun. But I think what makes ToI so much fun is that once you earn yourself a gun, we're all fairly balanced fighting side by side. I saw some saying the snow blower is the way to go, but I feel pretty strong with my Impaler, and Im always getting2 trinkets or so after every wave.

Im always proposing a holosuite planet or resort run by Ferengi for this game. The same concept could work well with an old west theme. Give players a balanced variety of guns, and defend a fort from waves of bad guys. Its the equal player balanced gear that makes it so fun. I dont feel like Im getting seriously outgunned by my fellow player like I do in regular PvE sometimes.

Ive not tried it yet, but is there a heal for the snowman freeze? I see my health going down right before I get frozen. Would be cool if you could equip hot chocolate consumables, and pop those off to stay warm and healthy and not freeze so fast in the heat of a snow borg battle.
  • Options
    mm06360mm06360 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    it was a grind. Then I got a snowblower and it became a whole new thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    My fleetmates and I are really enjoying Tides. Last year I didn't get so much out of Winter Wonderland, because of them gating the epohh tags behind that stupid race that I have never been able to successfully do.

I think Tides could stand to run more often, but otherwise I like it.

Yeah, the race really needs to go next year, and use that real estate for something else fun. Tides of Ice just earned itself a PERMANENT spot in Winter wonderland, and I hope its a ride they never take down.

Like I said in another post of mine, march of the assimilated wooden soldiers would be fun for 2015. Maybe run it like a contested zone. Imagine 4 big cabins (1 each for 4 close proximity medium sized control zones) (with roofs you could get up on and fire from, and interiors big enough for an indoor battle if the bad guys breach the doors) up in the hills, surrounded by tall hills and tall dark pine trees on all four sides. One thin lonely winding path leading up to the cabins, and a transporter pad option from the promenade that teleports you into the chimneys of each of the four cabins so you come in like Santa Claus. The players must hold the 4 control zones, as assimilated wooden soldiers and boogie men come out of the trees in waves attacking all four cabin locations at once in waves the players have to fight off. Fight from the warm cozy interiors, the cabin rooftops, or go up to the tree line and take them on face to face and take the fight to the forest. THIS would be fun, and a great compliment to Tides of Ice instead of the lame unfair ice race.

Also, redo the center lake area, where theres a icy obstacle path that runs along the outer edges of the lake, to be an ice skaters jump park to have more fun with the ice boots. Just jumping the center downed tree isnt as much fun. Give us more stuff in that area to get a running start at to jump. Throw in some more spontaneous NBA Jam style goofy jumps as we jump over stuff on the path.