test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Star Trek Game

dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
Logged into Facebook today and was prompted to play "Star Trek the Game". Obviously CBS is handing out more than one Star Trek video game license.

I assume this is the game that I was offered? Anyone try it out?
http://archive.news.softpedia.com/news/Free-Star-Trek-Games-Are-Coming-to-Facebook-and-Internet-Browsers-145243.shtml
Post edited by dpsloss88 on

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That article is over 4 years old.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    Logged into Facebook today and was prompted to play "Star Trek the Game". Obviously CBS is handing out more than one Star Trek video game license.

http://archive.news.softpedia.com/news/Free-Star-Trek-Games-Are-Coming-to-Facebook-and-Internet-Browsers-145243.shtml

I haven't yet found a browser game that didn't suck in at least a few ways. Try it and let us know. Would be interested.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »

Dont play with our dreasm and ilusions, thats not nice :mad:
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Was this for Star Trek: Infinite Space? That game got canned long ago.
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That game went under, it was using the Unity Engine and never got completed.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Facebook ad I've been seeing is for Star Trek Space Combat Simulator, an emulator of a videogame from the arcade days - hosted on a site that supports a large number of such emulators.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    TO the OP ... dude dont do that to me... my heart nearly stopped!!! A new trek mmo.... to get out of the cryptic pwe stranglehold on this great liscence ...... sigh i wish and cant wait for something new!! ...
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    TO the OP ... dude dont do that to me... my heart nearly stopped!!! A new trek mmo.... to get out of the cryptic pwe stranglehold on this great liscence ...... sigh i wish and cant wait for something new!! ...

Well ... I wonder why everyone gets so excited about new ST Games anyway, have you missed the last 30 years of ST Games ... most of them were "not that good", and that's coming from someone who enjoyed "Birth of the Federation" ... STO is basically just the pattern, repeating itself ...

PS : If Cryptic / PWE looses the license it will probably go to Zynga, or something :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited December 2014
    Well ... I wonder why everyone gets so excited about new "Star Trek Games" anyway, have you missed the last 30 years of ST Games ... most of them were "not that good", and that's coming from someone who enjoyed "Birth of the Federation" ... STO is basically just the pattern, repeating itself ...

Yeah but there were some real gems in there. ST:25th, especially the enhanced CDROM edition. ST:FU (no, not what you think, Star Trek: A Final Unity) was easily the best, and most underselling ST game of all time. Elite Force wasn't terrible in that it captured the Voyager vibe pretty well and had some decent Voyager interiors to walk around in, albeit small. Armada and Armada 2 had their high points, and the Bridge Commander franchise was fun. DS9 Harbinger had its good points, and even Legacy had one or two redeeming qualities.

Even some of the other software was pretty great - the Omnipedia was fun, and the included voice recognition software, even tho clunky, was a real treat. ST: Borg is an interesting relic of the interactive movie fad.

With any franchise as large as Trek, there is bound to be lots of garbage, but I still play it all at least once, always looking for the next real gem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well ... I wonder why everyone gets so excited about new ST Games anyway, have you missed the last 30 years of ST Games ... most of them were "not that good", and that's coming from someone who enjoyed "Birth of the Federation" ... STO is basically just the pattern, repeating itself ...

PS : If Cryptic / PWE looses the license it will probably go to Zynga, or something :P

Yeah...I haven't had a fun time with a Star Trek game since SFC2...I miss that game so much.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I wish I could get my copy of SFC3 to run, but it absolutely HATES anything over DX9 and there is no patch to allow it to run on more advanced versions of DirectX.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sometimes i install "Birth of the Federation" again and playing some rounds as Federation or the Romulan Empire. Because that game ist not only about shooting.

In our german Star Trek community (http://www.r-p-o.de) we played for more then (~) 10 years a modification for Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, called RPG-X, a roleplaying modification. That was a great time.

I also liked Starfleet Academy (but not the german translation) and Bridge Commander.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I wish I could get my copy of SFC3 to run, but it absolutely HATES anything over DX9 and there is no patch to allow it to run on more advanced versions of DirectX.

Sounds like a job for gog.com. :) Should probably check if it's already on the user-request list.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2014

So many great games of the past, but they were only made great by MODDERS, overall they sucked in their stock form. But you are correct, the last 30yrs of ST Games have for the most part been rather questionable and only were made good in part to the modding communities that made them into great titles.

PWE/Cryptic could learn a few things from modding communities of the past! If STO ever shuts down, we wont see another title for sometime.
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Has anyone tried star trek legacy? I watched a few gameplay videos a while back and it looks fairly more realistic and truer to the franchise.
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Has anyone tried star trek legacy? I watched a few gameplay videos a while back and it looks fairly more realistic and truer to the franchise.

It was ok, but again it was only successful because of the modders, i know this because i was the project manager for that title under one of the largest modding teams.

Again, Cryptic could learn a few things from the modding community.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014

If Cryptic loses the license, then it will take years for then next big Star Trek game comes out which means we will be without a Star Trek MMO for years unless they do the Star Wars Galaxy/Star Wars The Old Republic route. Then there is a very high possibility that the game will be the same as STO or worse than STO.

For there to be a truly great Star Trek MMO, it would require exploration using procedurally generated content that is far beyond what is capable with Elite Dangerous and other such games. True Star Trek Exploration requires the game to create procedurally generated adventures that are as good as the best STO missions we currently have like A Step Between Stars or Surface Tension in terms of complexity not scan 5 rocks on a planet or kill 5 groups of aliens. What STO can do is create an exploration system that gives a random selection of procedurally generated content, Foundry missions, and dev missions.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    If Cryptic loses the license, then it will take years for then next big Star Trek game comes out which means we will be without a Star Trek MMO for years unless they do the Star Wars Galaxy/Star Wars The Old Republic route. Then there is a very high possibility that the game will be the same as STO or worse than STO.

It'd be worse because they would set it in the reboot timeline.

Pros: An end game tier Connie!

Con: It's JJ's Connie!

So we all lose.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited December 2014

For there to be a truly great Star Trek MMO, it would require exploration using procedurally generated content that is far beyond what is capable with Elite Dangerous and other such games. True Star Trek Exploration requires the game to create procedurally generated adventures that are as good as the best STO missions we currently have like A Step Between Stars or Surface Tension in terms of complexity not scan 5 rocks on a planet or kill 5 groups of aliens. What STO can do is create an exploration system that gives a random selection of procedurally generated content, Foundry missions, and dev missions.

Very true indeed, also remember the former title that was stuck in court due to what happened in the IP being taken by CBS/Paramount? It was years before anything came out, but i agree with your position about exploration needs to be apart of it and i have to disagree that is not available, it is only limited by the limitations of an engine and its programmers behind it. What Cryptic could do if they were serious is upgrade the Engine, hell Eve Online did it, so this idea that Cryptic cant, or simply wont do it is none-sense.
  • rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why would anyone make another Star Trek game? This forum is full of a bunch of haters who can never be satisfied, regardless what the developer would do. One look at this place and I would run from any such project! You people cannot be pleased!
    edited December 2014
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    Very true indeed, also remember the former title that was stuck in court due to what happened in the IP being taken by CBS/Paramount? It was years before anything came out, but i agree with your position about exploration needs to be apart of it and i have to disagree that is not available, it is only limited by the limitations of an engine and its programmers behind it. What Cryptic could do if they were serious is upgrade the Engine, hell Eve Online did it, so this idea that Cryptic cant, or simply wont do it is none-sense.

I am not saying space exploration is not impossible at the moment, I am saying Star Trek exploration is impossible at the moment. With Eve, Elite Dangerous, No Man's sky, etc, their exploration has no social component. It is essentially, go to some solar system scan the planets find some resource or fight some non-sentient alien creature, then leave. With Star Trek exploration, you have to deal with alien civilizations so the complexity required is too much for it.

Scan 5 rocks or kill 5 groups of enemies is not enough for Star Trek exploration. It requires a multitude of steps like while scanning rocks you get attacked by a bunch of aliens. After going to the library, you figure out that the aliens are being controlled by an alien computer that requires to be destroyed. Your crew has to go through the whole moral dilemma of violating the prime directive by destroying the alien computer that is controlling an alien civilization's fate. In order to destroy the alien computer, you need to shut down the force field protecting it, then destroy its memory banks and CPU.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    Vbut i agree with your position about exploration needs to be apart of it and i have to disagree that is not available, it is only limited by the limitations of an engine and its programmers behind it. What Cryptic could do if they were serious is upgrade the Engine, hell Eve Online did it, so this idea that Cryptic cant, or simply wont do it is none-sense.
    Do you actually known any games like the one we see in Star Trek?

Take two TNG episodes:
    - The one with the Space Whale Baby
    - The one with the Terraformers finding anorganic life that is threatened by the terraforming operation and fights back.

Can you imagine any procedural algorithm that could create such stories? And I don't mean create 10 variations of the space whale baby story - of course, you can create a space whale baby template and create variations with a yellow and a blue baby, one, and one that eats shields and one that eats warp energy or whatever. But that would be repetitive and predictable.

Procedural content generation can probably give us planets populated with some kind of animal and plant life. But to get an an-organic race that gets into conflict with a terraforming crew and calls us bags of water - that requires a story writer, that is a hand-crafted scenario.

I am reminded a bit of this: http://xkcd.com/1425/

I think if people want real Star Trek exploration, and not just visit a randomly build-up map, they should encourage Cryptic to write exploration missions. The Iconian storyline and what not might be cool - but exploration is a bit short-changed (though there are some good exploration stories in there. The whole discovery of the Dyson Spheres through the Romulan Gateway is probably one of the best examples of exploration. Except it doesn't really contain the moral dilemmas we know from Star Trek.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2014

With enough databases, you can procedurally generate ANYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE! MWAHAHAHAH!

Seriously though, with a lot of work put into it, you probably could, with a very, very talented team, put together a decent procedural Trek story generator - once in a while something would end up very silly, but you game up with a detailed enough system, it could probably be done.

I know the nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor is simple in comparison, but if you look at what it generates - dynamic music and sound, dynamic backstories, conflicts and resolutions, and really a lot more than it looks like on the surface - it's much more simple, but it's definitely proof positive that with a robust enough backend, you can do a whole lot more than most games do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    Procedural content generation can probably give us planets populated with some kind of animal and plant life. But to get an an-organic race that gets into conflict with a terraforming crew and calls us bags of water - that requires a story writer, that is a hand-crafted scenario.

I believe that there will eventually be AIs capable of generating content specifically customized to the player so no player experiences the same content and that is what is needed for a game with true Star Trek exploration. However, it will likely be at least 20 years before we are capable of doing that.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rjay1985 wrote: »
    Why would anyone make another Star Trek game? This forum is full of a bunch of haters who can never be satisfied, regardless what the developer would do. One look at this place and I would run from any such project! You people cannot be pleased!

The unsatisfied hater is the natural expression of the internet forum. You give people a channel from their small spot in the general population into a viewed discussion of what the game should be and they'll carry on for as long as as heatedly as they can simply to try to force from the appearance of a dissatisfied mob changes to the game which benefit their interest (simply for the sake of exercising power/authority that wouldn't otherwise be available to them if they simply carried on through the game's normal channels. Ie. gameplay and background discussion. Its not about what the game should in fact be but how far one can push it just to show they can.)

Its just a reflexive quirk of human behavior. Don't read into it. It'll exist so long as the property in question can maintain a stake worth fighting for.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    "In Star Trek Timelines you will explore a massive galaxy on the web, iOS and Android devices. Based on your favorite Star Trek series and episodes from across all eras, you will be able to play alongside your friends and your favorite characters — solving conflicts using science, diplomacy, and battle."

https://disruptorbeam.com/games/star-trek-timelines

Disruptor beams are OP, pleez nerf.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rjay1985 wrote: »

Yeah sorry that's not how it works, otherwise they would have stopped making ST Games after "Starship Creator" or "Star Trek Pinball" (I know they were pure gold, and I'm just a sad little "Hater") ... not sure if you actually cared to read, though ... lots of "Haters" here, who don't want another "Developer" ... mostly because of, you know stuff like "Star Trek Pinball" ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    star trek legacy is pretty damn good,BUT the thing that pisses me off is the control interface.....it sucks my dry balls.......
    edited December 2014
    I am not saying space exploration is not impossible at the moment, I am saying Star Trek exploration is impossible at the moment. With Eve, Elite Dangerous, No Man's sky, etc, their exploration has no social component. It is essentially, go to some solar system scan the planets find some resource or fight some non-sentient alien creature, then leave. With Star Trek exploration, you have to deal with alien civilizations so the complexity required is too much for it.

Scan 5 rocks or kill 5 groups of enemies is not enough for Star Trek exploration. It requires a multitude of steps like while scanning rocks you get attacked by a bunch of aliens. After going to the library, you figure out that the aliens are being controlled by an alien computer that requires to be destroyed. Your crew has to go through the whole moral dilemma of violating the prime directive by destroying the alien computer that is controlling an alien civilization's fate. In order to destroy the alien computer, you need to shut down the force field protecting it, then destroy its memory banks and CPU.

Oh, i completely agree with your position and i share that with you in that it would do better if we did indeed have something that was or had an exploration system on it. I wish that they could impliment something along those lines and i am not completely convinced that it cant be done, i am by far no programmer but i think anything can be done, just need the engine and the programmers to be able to do it. Perhaps not in the way that you or i would want but close to it. Ive always said that this game was missing something along the lines of a campaign system/territory system that SFCIII had.

Take two TNG episodes:
    - The one with the Space Whale Baby
    - The one with the Terraformers finding anorganic life that is threatened by the terraforming operation and fights back.

Can you imagine any procedural algorithm that could create such stories? And I don't mean create 10 variations of the space whale baby story - of course, you can create a space whale baby template and create variations with a yellow and a blue baby, one, and one that eats shields and one that eats warp energy or whatever. But that would be repetitive and predictable.

I am reminded a bit of this: http://xkcd.com/1425/

I think if people want real Star Trek exploration, and not just visit a randomly build-up map, they should encourage Cryptic to write exploration missions. The Iconian storyline and what not might be cool - but exploration is a bit short-changed (though there are some good exploration stories in there. The whole discovery of the Dyson Spheres through the Romulan Gateway is probably one of the best examples of exploration. Except it doesn't really contain the moral dilemmas we know from Star Trek.)

Again, i agree with this idea and share your opinion, i think it is a matter of if Cryptic wanted to do so they could do it. A number of games had that like Freelancer to Eve Online, but those universes were HUGE in comparison to what Cryptic has presented in regards to the ST Universe which is very small. So many great ideas i have seen come from so many great ideas when it has come to an exploration system, territory system to overall other great changes but that would take a real commitment when it came to the programmers and the project leads at Cryptic, but again we are not in control of the title, they are and they give us what they are instructed to do or vision. IT is unfortunate but it is what it is. It sucks, but i believe as do so many others believe it could be done. Even if they expanded the access and controls inside that of the Foundry tools, they those that do author them could do much more but that has to many restrictions while people have created some really good authored missions but again it is a limited tool for one reason or another that i think has to do with the IP requirements or in this case limitations.
    star trek legacy is pretty damn good,BUT the thing that pisses me off is the control interface.....it sucks my dry balls.......

When i worked with the modding team that created the mod for Legacy the interface had always been a problem. Other than that, those that modded it worked with what they had and modified it for what they could and the interface was changed overtime and become what it did.
  • firefox3178firefox3178 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I remember a game that Interplay released called Starfleet Academy way back in the day. It had Sulu as head of the academy, with Chekov and Kirk there as well in supporting roles. That game allowed you to actually fight from the bridge. The 25th anniversary game is still the best in my opinion, but I miss leading my ship from the center seat.

Time to put some requests on GOG :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic: If you think the bugs are bad, wait until you see our fixes!