test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Next year, can we get the old wooden gazebo back?

johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
While i as usual enjoy the winter event I really hate the new Q central. This ice thing does not really display this warm wellcome to the xmas wonderland theme as the old one did.

Maybe its just me but the new one looks cold (yeah its ice so no wonder) and unfriendly and not at all like the nice old one made me remember all those ski trips i had when i was younger.

I might survive this year with the new one but for next year pls return the old one thx.
Post edited by johnsteward on

Comments

• eulifdaviseulifdavis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't care. I just don't like Eppoh Lady 2.0. (See my signature for details.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah ... like we got Old Drozana back ... . :(

... one can always hope , but I'm saddened to think that the glass/tacky/mono-color thing is here to stay ...
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sam here.

I liked the old charme of the event. Especialy the wooden house. It was a warm touch on the winter land.

But the icy cold character of the new dome fits to the grindfest and the new pew pew event. :S
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Apparently, the FROZEN look, is now the posh thing to do.

It's ok, but They should have kept a bit of the wood-look to balance it out.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Keep the ice fortress for the lane event, but give us our wooden lodge/pavilion back. Please.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Apparently, the FROZEN look, is now the posh thing to do.

It's ok, but They should have kept a bit of the wood-look to balance it out.

:cool:

My mind leaped to Frozen as well , but now that I think about it ... someone else lived in a frozen castle a lot longer in our imaginations ... -- the witch from Narnia ... . :o

... I bet she could whip up some explosive turkish delights if she put her mind to it ...
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Maybe its just me but the new one looks cold (yeah its ice so no wonder) and unfriendly and not at all like the nice old one made me remember all those ski trips i had when i was younger.

I think the new look is perfectly right in this situation. It has some deeper meaning. But dont be confused: i dont like it either.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You need to keep in mind that the Devs actually WANT to be Frozen Online, and will do anything and everything in their power to make the Wonderland into a Frozen event.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So am I the only one singing the songs from the film then as I do the events? :D:P
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Keep the ice fortress for the lane event, but give us our wooden lodge/pavilion back. Please.

This. The ice fortress is perfect for the snow lanes, but the wooden hut made it feel like we had arrived at a holiday. The ice stuff is beautifully created, but it lacks warmth. I do like all the new fences and signs though.

Course, now everyone has mentioned it, I'm gonna have Frozen songs stuck in my head next time I go play the event.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Take your eppoh friend and ... let it go...
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The new look was a very bad design choice.
    What was wrong with the old one?
    They players liked the old one... nobody did complain.

The new one clearly kills the the warm x-mas atmosphere.
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    So am I the only one singing the songs from the film then as I do the events? :D:P

Yes.

Anyway...
    I thought it was funny to see this topic.
    Upon logging in today, it was the first thing my Wingman said... he missed the old wooden version.
    I agree.

Personally, it reminded me of the Ski Chalet in City of Heroes, which was fantastic!
    Felt all cozy and wintery.
    The only change to the STO wooden version I'd have liked, was a fireplace/pit.
    But I do like the chairs better. And the glass/ice floor is cool looking. (no pun intended).

**puts 2 pennies on the table**

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I also feel like this has a deeper meaning. How its been implemented is like the story of the game/Cryptic from beta until today.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    But the icy cold character of the new dome fits to the grindfest and the new pew pew event. :S

It's nice to see consistency :D
    edited December 2014
    If the dev team would be sitting in the ice palace the players probably would switch sides and support the borg snowmen. (just a feeling)
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Do you want to build a snowman?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited December 2014
    Do you want to smash a snowman?
  • huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I preferred the wooden version too. It's all washed out now and not as festive. The fortress is good though, so should stay that way
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    can u please move this map to andoria so this way we can skate all year round like we can visit risa
    give andoria something we can do there other then walk on ice
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Given that I've seen nothing but complaints about every single thing Cryptic has done on the Winter Event, I feel compelled to toss in with a counter-observation:

I personally love the look of the new facilities in the WW. They are icy, dramatic, and more befitting the kind of production I'd expect from Q. I was getting kind of bored with the old setting.

From the first 5 min in the updated locale I was really impressed how much more wintry the entire environment felt, from the lovely ice castles to the misty air to the aurorae in the sky.

Nicely done!
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I like the new look

It felt lazy they kept reusing the same old Q wonderland map over and over

having said that... if it was based on the movie FROZEN, I feel dirty all over
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    derrico1 wrote: »
    can u please move this map to andoria so this way we can skate all year round like we can visit risa
    give andoria something we can do there other then walk on ice

Risa for the summer and Andoria for the winter? I love it!

I've also long thought this even should have connected to Andoria which is currently just a sad, desolate wasteland...
    Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
    STO-sig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited December 2014