test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Event Known Issues - Tides of Ice - Check here for the latest info!

QQ Member Posts: 252
edited January 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Greetings Dear Mortals,

This year’s new Tides of Ice event is live! We understand that there are questions about how players are given completion credit for the event and how to purchase the new items in the Winter Store.

In order to receive full credit for completing Tides of Ice, a character must participate in all 10 waves of fighting. If a character arrives late and plays through the end of the event, they will not receive completion credit. We are currently looking into changing the number of waves a player must complete in order to receive completion credit. We also will be adding more messaging to announce when a Tides of Ice event is starting, similar to the other events in Q's Winter Wonderland.

Eligibility to purchase the new items in the Winter Store is also tied to completing Tides of Ice. Currently, the new rewards appear unable for purchase, even if the character has all of the required currency. If a player double-clicks on the items in the store, a message will appear showing how many Tides of Ice completion credits are required to unlock that item for purchase. For example, the new Winter Knitted Hat requires 5 Tides of Ice completion credits. We will be making this messaging more clear.

In addition, we will be making changes to the Winter Invasion queue to make it completable even if everyone on the team only have snowballs as a weapon. We are also aware that some characters may not be receiving the discount they have earned for the previous years' Breen ships. A fix for that issue is incoming.

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have resulted from these issues, and hope you'll enjoy the rest of this year's Winter Event.

Best of Holiday luck to you all,
Q
Post edited by Q on

Comments

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well looks like Q manages communication better than the devs. :P

Nice to know you're aware of some of those bugs, inaccuracies etc.

Still, I don't believe gating the new store items behind a number of 'Tides of ice' runs was a good idea. And please, could we at least hope for the original Sarr Theln costume at some point?
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    toiva wrote: »

Nice to know you're aware of some of those bugs, inaccuracies etc.

Still, I don't believe gating the new store items behind a number of 'Tides of ice' runs was a good idea. And please, could we at least hope for the original Sarr Theln costume at some point?

Lol, when the devs use Q, the information flows smoother. It's a shared dev account. They use it for omnipotent community management.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    For the AFKers, can we kill them and loot them? :D
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Q, please, make Tides of Ice an account wide unlock. I've got 17 characters and running that event 170 times just to unlock the store is going to be truly brutal to the point where I probably won't even bother. I'd love to do the winter event, but I want to do more than just run tides of ice constantly all month.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    He IS an omnipotent being, after all.
  • allenscottallenscott Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Many thanks for the information. Unfortunately I did submit a ticket over the event ship cost issue before I found this thread. Oops. Punish me as you see fit, Omnipotent One.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Q wrote: »
    Greetings Dear Mortals,

This year’s new Tides of Ice event is live! We understand that there are questions about how players are given completion credit for the event and how to purchase the new items in the Winter Store.

In order to receive full credit for completing Tides of Ice, a character must participate in all 10 waves of fighting. If a character arrives late and plays through the end of the event, they will not receive completion credit. We are currently looking into changing the number of waves a player must complete in order to receive completion credit. We also will be adding more messaging to announce when a Tides of Ice event is starting, similar to the other events in Q's Winter Wonderland.

Eligibility to purchase the new items in the Winter Store is also tied to completing Tides of Ice. Currently, the new rewards appear unable for purchase, even if the character has all of the required currency. If a player double-clicks on the items in the store, a message will appear showing how many Tides of Ice completion credits are required to unlock that item for purchase. For example, the new Winter Knitted Hat requires 5 Tides of Ice completion credits. We will be making this messaging more clear.

In addition, we will be making changes to the Winter Invasion queue to make it completable even if everyone on the team only have snowballs as a weapon. We are also aware that some characters may not be receiving the discount they have earned for the previous years' Breen ships. A fix for that issue is incoming.

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have resulted from these issues, and hope you'll enjoy the rest of this year's Winter Event.

Best of Holiday luck to you all,
    Q

Just when I was about to blame all the game's problems on aliens I realize the truth! It's all the fault of an impotent being from the continuum.

From now on I blame everything on the Q. I am not a merry man. :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Y5KsEptTY
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    For example, the new Winter Knitted Hat requires 5 Tides of Ice completion credits.

Why should I complete a mission five times to get a damn HAT?

Come on. You're smarter than this.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    How about changing the number of Tide of Ice plays for all vendor items to... say.... 1. That makes more sense for those with a lot of alts or not as much time to play the same event 10 times just to buy stuff from a vendor. :rolleyes:
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The alert message said defend bla bla, but the borg queen snow person appeared and disappeared in the snow. There is no message saying mission ended. I was there way before the call gone out one 1 minute.

Why aren't there any signs posted saying what you need to do and not do. Really need 500 snowballs if you planning on taking out 4 lanes and protect the main area. Better not stand with a group of snowmen (borg snowmen) you'll get held so many times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • theirresponsibletheirresponsible Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am hoping for a change of either.

Run Tides of Ice event 10 times on one character for account wide store unlock.

Or once per character to unlock the store.

At worst I could accept 10 times on one character then once on alts, but this will put a great deal of stress on players with limited time and meny alts.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Q, please, make Tides of Ice an account wide unlock. I've got 17 characters and running that event 170 times just to unlock the store is going to be truly brutal to the point where I probably won't even bother. I'd love to do the winter event, but I want to do more than just run tides of ice constantly all month.

This. Locking the store behind a once-per-hour-or-maybe-twice-if-you're-lucky event may be reasonable for one character, but when alts enter the picture it becomes ludicrous.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • johnluckpicartjohnluckpicart Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dunno, Q...
    I have a pretty high tolerance when it comes to grinding for stuff, but having to replay content to get a store unlock? That's too low even for me. If you're so desperate to get people to play your new events, why not give out the hat or some other shiny from the store instead of making us unlock the shinies we have to grind for anyways? Dunno, Q...
    Have played it once and probably won't be playing it again, out of sheer protest against such nonsense. It's X-Mas time, Q! Dunno...

At least make a proper announcement next to the items (red coloured wording or something, the double-clicking thingie is not enough, most people don't even get there), so casual players won't grind for the 'ingredients' just to then find out that they can't purchase those items. And maybe don't have enough time left to do the tide runs. Prevent the agony, Q!

Dunno, Q...:cool:
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
  • tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    how about stating all the winter event times here so we know when to look for them.

I think the :52 for the race is broken atm

Robert
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited December 2014

This, so much this.

I'd also like to state that in the one run I've currently had of Tides of Ice, I got credit for all the waves except wave 2. For some reason despite getting credit for Wave 1, I was not given credit for Wave 2.
  • captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tides 10x per toon and 22 toons, do the math! The ship requirement is excellent. I am cool with that, but for the warp core come on guys. Love the event and scenery.
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am hoping for a change of either.

Run Tides of Ice event 10 times on one character for account wide store unlock.

Or once per character to unlock the store.

At worst I could accept 10 times on one character then once on alts, but this will put a great deal of stress on players with limited time and meny alts.

I second this proposal.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Dear devs. Do you hate multiple characters? The path of the last months suppose that. There is no time to play different characters in that game for many players. But players are also customers. If i have no time to play an alt SCI, because i need the playtime for my main character (ENG), i don't by items or sci-ships in C-Store for my alt.

And now this. I have to grind 5 times Tides of ice to get the permission to buy a hat? So 5 times means, grind 5 hours, because this event starts only at full o clock. So only looking with my main char in that event, because i don't like excessive grind. It gets boring and at the end, there is no fun.

You converted the lovely atmospheric winter event in a big grindfest. I loved the winter event for his atmosphere. Thats gone.

Sometimes i believe we are not more than numbers in your metrics. The grind in the event is only there, that you can show the great numbers of players to your headquarters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What will the devs do against the massive lag?

Whats with the PVP races which are not starting?
  • buzz0942buzz0942 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    so - i will then still have to "play" an unrewarding mission with no replay value TEN TIMES PER TOON?

Well, nice try to artificially increase play time for your stuipd metrics - but .. guess i'll pass.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I just wanted to point out that the 'Q's Ornament: Snowball Mortar' (ground device) was actually introduced in the 2013 winter event, but it's marked as 'New'.

When right clicking winter jackets and scarves in the event rep store only some of them seem to show the preview image of what they look like. All others are missing the image in the info window. It seems to be the case mostly with the new jackets and scarves but some of the older stuff is missing the preview image.

Here is a screenshot of it http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/MonkeyGuts69/winterjacketpreview_zps1874eb18.jpg~original

I have 12 characters myself and it does seem as though the game has become alt unfriendly over recent months. I don't like the idea of having to do an event many times per character just to be able to purchase various items in the reputation store. I'm hoping to be able to get a kit module and warp/singularity core for all of my characters.

If your new Winter Wonderland event is fun and rewarding players will do it no matter what. So personally I think the restriction to complete it multiple times to unlock access to items int he event rep store needs to go. We shouldn't have to complete any event to be able to buy stuff. None of the older stuff forces us to beat the snowman overlord before we can buy anything. I joined the event once in the middle of phase 3 and all I got total was 4 ornaments when it was over. But nonetheless, the new event is another way for players to farm the ornaments they need.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the mortar was listed as new on the news aswell

either the devs dont know their own game or they simply stick with their "everything old is new" strategy
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Unfortunately, I can personally say that this is NOT the extent of the counting bug:

I played the entire Tides of Ice event twice.

I was there more than 2 minutes early.

I fought all 10 waves, including the Borg Snow Queen.

I only received credit for completing this event once, not twice.

If this happens again after the fix goes live, I'm going to have to sit out the event (which I really don't want to do). Unfortunately, being bound by linear time it is difficult for me to find an opportunity to this as many times as the Devs require, especially with it only occurring once an hour. If it is only a CHANCE of completion, then I simply can't take that risk. :(
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    How about changing the number of Tide of Ice plays for all vendor items to... say.... 1. That makes more sense for those with a lot of alts or not as much time to play the same event 10 times just to buy stuff from a vendor. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Once is enough.
    I was finally going to break down and buy a snowgun this year,
    only to find this gate. So getting 2 out of 3 credit for doing this ice thing
    has made me wonder if I'll still even want the gun by the time it's unlocked.
    (Haven't bothered with any alt's since the doff ui change - so no worries there).

This kind of gate just seems too much, and I wonder how dead it will be once
    everyone has done it, and they're no longer forced to.

How about making the pond bigger so I can skate more?
    - I don't need any loot, but a little fun might be nice.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There is an issue if your are at the Winter Wonderland and then select the PVE Winter Invasion. You don't get returned to the Winter Wonderland. You end up back at your Q location on your home world planet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, Once is enough.
    I was finally going to break down and buy a snowgun this year,
    only to find this gate. So getting 2 out of 3 credit for doing this ice thing
    has made me wonder if I'll still even want the gun by the time it's unlocked.
    (Haven't bothered with any alt's since the doff ui change - so no worries there).

I know the feeling. Last night's 1 out of 2 has got me rethinking if I want that kit module. So yes, I agree, even if fixed, once is enough. Otherwise, I'm gonna be talking myself out of a lot of impulse buy items. Already have on a number of counts.

Maybe put a reward at the end of the 10 attempt accolade...like a big box of ornaments. This way it is the "carrot" instead of the "stick"?
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »

Then you don't spend 10 hours per alt in the zone for metrics saying a billion hours were spent by players in the zone. :-P (Disclaimer: The tongue out indicates sarcasm not criticism)

At least they are going to fix it so that you don't have to stand there and wait to make sure you get a shot in during round one for it to count as completed. Sarcasm aside, they don't have to do that you know.

(Note: I think it should be 1 time also but I guess their concern is we will run to the exchange and use last year's loot to skip it.)
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!