test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My letter to CBS

Comments

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think we all need a little therapy really, since Delta Rising™ The best expansion ever, the one that players all love, has caused a bit of collective psychosis within the community.

That already started with Season 6...
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That already started with Season 6...

Season 6 you say? True this has been a work in progress, STO's version of Galaxies SGE, implemented one byte at a time. Of course you do realize that if the psychosis started back then, that would mean all of us are raving lunatics completely consumed by chaos...a little over the top, but some of us are off the deep end. :D
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yep, that letter isn't going to make any difference other than make you feel a little better, for a time at least. At a guess they receive, and ignore, many on a pretty regular basis. Im thinking maybe you took an idea a little too far, and maybe didnt quite understand the reasoning behind our forum outbursts.

I doubt many, if any, of us can honestly say we have never crossed that line between an appropriate response to a problem and a response of the 'other kind? I certainly can't! Those that care the most, shout the loudest, that is just the way of it, the important part is choosing who and where to shout, the last thing 99.9% of the forum want (made up statistic, but im gonna run with it) is the game to close, we just want it to work.

I think it is fair to say, the OP has been verbally spanked enough though, only so many ways to make the same point, anything further is just poking and badgering. Just my opinion.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ok firstly, PEOPLE STILL ENJOY THE GAME!!!! Newcomers like myself do not know of the "evils" that Cryptic has inflicted on the game, and some of the older players who do DON'T CARE. And (dare I say it) I actually LIKE Delta Rising. Yeah, I said it. I realize there have been issues with the release and the mechanics of the game, but I, unlike most people in the forums, actually play the game for the story content. And while I have heard a great deal about the mechanical problems with the game, I rarely hear anything negative about the story content, and when I do, it is from purists who don't like the JJ Abrams movies, which I don't see any problems with (not referring to it as JJ Trek because it's as canon as the rest of the franchise, get over it).

I guess I should now brace for the hate of a thousand rabid fans, huh?

::END TRANSMISSION::
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    I think it is fair to say, the OP has been verbally spanked enough, only so many ways to make the same point, anything further is just poking and badgering. Just my opinion though.

Still plenty of people around to make their personal therapeutic comments, but you do have a point about the badgering.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Season 6 you say? True this has been a work in progress, STO's version of Galaxies SGE, implemented one byte at a time. Of course you do realize that if the psychosis started back then, that would mean all of us are raving lunatics completely consumed by chaos...a little over the top, but some of us are off the deep end. :D

... and the new guys learn from the old guys.

But maybe I am old fashioned. I spend money as much as I wish and no one forces me. I play this game as long as I like it and no one forces me.

I dont take this game so serious as others do. It is not part of my life and if someone has a loss of reality to make a videogame sooo important to him that it nearly devastates his joy for life :rolleyes: then it is time to seek for help.
  • haskanaelevahaskanaeleva Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I applaud the OP's passion towards Trek. If more people held a higher standard and demanded more from such an iconic IP, perhaps STO wouldn't be the game it is.

While I don't think this kind of thing has any impact, such things are never impossible and at least he is doing more than whining about something he apparently cares deeply about.

You aren't weird or even wrong, OP. There's just a lot of mean jerks on the forums who would rather sit back and either fanboy or nerdrage. I was guilty of criticizing here myself before I realized no one at Cryptic cares one bit what their players want or think.

yeah sure me and the others are jerks,
    am I realy a jerk for pointing out that people still want to play the game and enjoy it? that it wouldnt be fair to ask for the game to be shut down while there are still those that do enjoy it?
    sure there is plenty of things wrong with the game, plenty of stuff to improve on it, but ruining other peoples fun is just childish.
    edited December 2014
    Ok firstly, PEOPLE STILL ENJOY THE GAME!!!! Newcomers like myself do not know of the "evils" that Cryptic has inflicted on the game, and some of the older players who do DON'T CARE. And (dare I say it) I actually LIKE Delta Rising. Yeah, I said it. I realize there have been issues with the release and the mechanics of the game, but I, unlike most people in the forums, actually play the game for the story content. And while I have heard a great deal about the mechanical problems with the game, I rarely hear anything negative about the story content, and when I do, it is from purists who don't like the JJ Abrams movies, which I don't see any problems with (not referring to it as JJ Trek because it's as canon as the rest of the franchise, get over it).

I guess I should now brace for the hate of a thousand rabid fans, huh?

::END TRANSMISSION::

Yeah the creative side of the expansion is Boss, looks great and sounds great. Had the storyline been properly sufficient to run from 50 - 60 without the silly patrol grind, I'd probably be dealing with the other stuff far better and be less vocal with my displeasure. For a start, I could happily level alts while the powers that be work on sorting the other stuff out.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
    edited December 2014
    Still plenty of people around to make their personal therapeutic comments, but you do have a point about the badgering.

For sure! :) Badgering aside, this is a really good thread. Recently, going through the forums, it has been easy to forget that the basis behind all the enthusiastic dissatisfaction, is a desire to see this game flourish.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thank you for giving him more ideas to get something shut down that I and other people still like.

Hey, it's rather hilarious the person suggested using change.org LOL.

That website is for real issues..not some stupid video game.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    ..not some stupid video game.

Ohhhhhh, let the hate flow!!! lol
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Within my post calling the OP borderline insane I also suggested a much more constructive method of airing his grievances.

I'd also suggest that he lets someone else edit his letter next time so they can delete some of the Crazy from it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    Within my post calling the OP borderline insane I also suggested a much more constructive method of airing his grievances.

I'd also suggest that he lets someone else edit his letter next time so they can delete some of the Crazy from it.

Im hoping that the many reasoned, rational, oft time colourful responses, would dissuade the OP from further letters to CBS. As for the forums, well, there is always room for some crazy here, wouldn't be a proper forum without it.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    qziqza wrote: »
    Im hoping that the many reasoned, rational, oft time colourful responses, would dissuade the OP from further letters to CBS. As for the forums, well, there is always room for some crazy here, wouldn't be a proper forum without it.

No, people never send just one letter like this. It always escalates. Eventually CBS are going to be receiving missives written in the OP's blood or TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are only reenforcing the image of Star Trek fandom being the most absurdly fanatical of any franchise in existence, it's one of the reasons why anyone doing work in the IP knows they are juggling live grenades and why productions like "Galaxy Quest" can do well poking fun in parodie.
    CBS probably gets millions of letters like this and no doubt they all end up in the dumpster after giving the curious a good laugh.
    Star Trek isn't a religion, it's a product, the only thing that would move CBS to act is if the license wasn't generating revenue and like it or not, it is generating revenue.
    Cryptic losing the license is not a guarantee that another company would pick it up and no pie in the sky thinking is going to change the truth that the only reason why this game is being produced is to make money and whether it is Cryptic or someone else that isn't going to change.
    Nobody will ever make a Star Trek game just because it's Star Trek.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Maybe, you should mail your letter to CBS. Unless, you're an attention seeker, which I think you are because everyone knows there's no need to post that letter here which is already hilarious.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
    edited December 2014
    js26568 wrote: »
    No, people never send just one letter like this. It always escalates. Eventually CBS are going to be receiving missives written in the OP's blood or TRIBBLE.

TRIBBLE written missives?! That level of 'dissatisfied expression' takes real commitment, not to mention, the diet to produce something containing both, tactile and cohesive properties (smearing is for amateurs and the criminally insane). In this day and age, wouldn't it just be easier to write a script that auto sends emails on a bi-weekly basis, maybe something with a selection of randomly generated expletives here and there?
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    edited December 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Did you actually tell CBS that an online game got you so mad you stopped watching trek episodes on Netflix?lmao.

*CBS exec sitting at his desk, having just finished reading every single word of darramouss' letter* "Damn...internet user darramouss really gets mad at internet games that have no bearing on his life whatsoever....maybe I need to step in here...*deletes mail, wipes sweat off brows using sto player money.*
    Well, if it ever made it to the execs desk I could see a whole line of people going from the mailroom up that would be looking at pink slips, but the rest of the scenario looks about right.;)
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    While so many are making fun of this person writing a letter to CBS, at least he/she is doing something besides complaining on the forums. As for CBS in general, they wont care about the letter, Cryptic pays to use the IP that grants the ability to produce what they are, i know this first hand as when i worked with modders from former past titles that we needed permission on certain things.

If people truly want to change things for the better, start complaining directly to Cryptic themselves but be constructive, dont be unrealistic or angry in doing so.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    MY letter to CBS

To whom it may concern

I have a ham sandwich its on rye with mayo
    it was very tastey.

Please take the IP from cryptic and PWE because they have infringed on my sandiwich
    and forced me to eat it on white bread with no mayo.

Now before you discount this letter please hear out my logic

"eeky eeky eeky fofo momo lingling dacacaca murple"\

you cannot argue with that logic so please take away the IP from cryptic and PWE so my sandwich will be happy and back on rey with mayo.

Thank you
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Serious response...

If CBS has enough say in this game to prevent a endgame Constitution class Star ship then I am willing to believe that anything Cryptic adds to the game has to go through CBS.

and there is nothing better than watching Star Trek while playing STO
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    OP's letter was funnier. Also: welcome back to the forums. We knew your stupid "I quit" thread was just bluster.

Yeah i agree it was a masterpiece...because he was actually serious :D
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Did someone confuse CSB for a company that doesn't like money and runs by the Federation's principles? They will do whatever is needed to make money, they have no higher calling, anyone believing the T5 Connie thing is foolish.

Besides, even if they read it I'm sure they'd head right over to the forums here, see everyone has a signature about how much the players love DR and not think anything is wrong.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Second, killing of this game does not mean a new game would pop up to replace it. Another MMO could never happen. You clearly haven't thought about the process people go through to actually make these things.
    Another MMO almost certainly would never happen. That's not the way businessmen think. If the product fails, and can be easily pigeonholed, the assumption isn't that they need to try it again, it's that people just aren't interested in the pigeonhole.

I'm old enough to remember the early '70s, and the output of Hollywood. 2001 didn't make as much box office as expected. Then Silent Running flopped, in large part because it was slow, turgidly written, and starred Bruce Dern. The assumption in Hollywood, however, was that nobody wanted to watch that sci-fi TRIBBLE any more. Plans for movies based on properties like Stranger In a Strange Land fell through. Meanwhile, Bullitt and The French Connection did well, so we got a plethora of blockbusters about rogue cops fighting The Man in order to bring bad guys to bloody justice.

That's why George Lucas was able to become so filthy rich - 20th Century Fox didn't think his little flick about wars in the stars would really go anywhere, so they let him keep the merchandising rights. Those merchandising rights founded Skywalker Sound, Industrial Light and Magic, Lucasfilm, Lucasarts...

Oh, and "true to Gene's ideals"? Which Gene? The former police lieutenant who wrote "Wagon Train to the stars"? The mad merchandiser who tried to squeeze every penny out of the franchise, and its actors (ask Leonard Nimoy about "Lincoln Enterprises" sometime), that he could? The Hollywood liberal who gave us ST:TMP, a movie with about ten minutes of action in its two-hour-plus runtime, and whose original concept for ST:TNG involved a starship without a captain where all decisions are reached by committee meetings?

Trust me, STO is perfectly true to Gene's ideals during the original series run - make money hand over fist for as long as possible.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Serious response...

If CBS has enough say in this game to prevent a endgame Constitution class Star ship then I am willing to believe that anything Cryptic adds to the game has to go through CBS.

and there is nothing better than watching Star Trek while playing STO
    Yeah really. I'm sure CBS pays a LOT of attention to the game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited December 2014
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Did someone confuse CSB for a company that doesn't like money and runs by the Federation's principles? They will do whatever is needed to make money, they have no higher calling, anyone believing the T5 Connie thing is foolish.

Besides, even if they read it I'm sure they'd head right over to the forums here, see everyone has a signature about how much the players love DR and not think anything is wrong.
    CBS has vetoed the T5 Connie, It probably has something to do with not wanting the ship to be confused with Abrams re-image or something, who knows, who cares. To be certain, Cryptic would certainly not have hesitated to capitalize on the Connies popularity if they were permitted.
    As for them rushing to the forums after reading one letter, not likely, they will have been getting these kinds of letters for as long as STO has existed and while they will have people keeping a constant close eye on the game, they aren't going to interfere as long as there are big plus signs showing up in the ledger, because money is the only important issue involved here, the quality of the experience for the players is of no consequence whatsoever so long as they keep shelling out cash. People need to get their heads out of the clouds and realize that there is no other motivation than profit keeping this franchise alive.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    vfpfyasko1 wrote: »
    While so many are making fun of this person writing a letter to CBS, at least he/she is doing something besides complaining on the forums. As for CBS in general, they wont care about the letter, Cryptic pays to use the IP that grants the ability to produce what they are, i know this first hand as when i worked with modders from former past titles that we needed permission on certain things.

If people truly want to change things for the better, start complaining directly to Cryptic themselves but be constructive, dont be unrealistic or angry in doing so.

I am pretty sure this thread is on a forum and its a complaint and its an "I quit" thread all rolled into one lol. I dont know how many are making fun of him I personally dont like seeing people asking for a product to be discontinued on their say so which is presumptuous to boot and not particularly contrstructive at all.

constructive is saying "I would have used this product but stopped because.." and then a list and leave it there. However once you start with the demands and such its no longer constructive. He also is not accurate in his account of the game and wildly exaggerates about lack of cannon ships. Then he presumes to decide what is cannon and what is not cannon with regards to CBS, IP and has forgotten that in the end Cannon is often dictated by the users and many many fan concepts end up being incorporated into future items and shows. He also has forgotten that CBS is the one that decides what can go into this game and not. So basically he is insulting the IP owner as well.

This is also not particularly constructive however the thing that seals it is his demand that they discontinue to product which is well yeah presumptuous and usually ends in the complaint being filed in the circular trash can cause it cost them like money to produce it and market it and stuff..
This discussion has been closed.