test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA: stop trying to win Azure Nebula Advanced by DPS

miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
Doesn't work anymore unless you are min-maxxed out, i'm talking top tier DPS. The enemies have too much HP now to burn through for everyone to take out 3 teams and capture the ships.

Your best bets are either....

A) Someone to tank and draw away the fire and perhaps move the enemy out of firing range while someone else takes the ship

or

B) use w/e means to get the enemy out of firing range from where you would be when trying to save the ship, something along the lines of pushing them out with repulsors then keeping them in place with a gravity well, the reverse can work sometimes as the gravity well will ball them together for your repulsors to push in mainly one-ish direction.
Post edited by miirik on

Comments

• tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Teamwork is OP

Is teamwork OP? Or is it an exploit?...

I kid I kid. All joking aside, I agree that sometimes it isn't just about DPS.

Edit: Well, most of the time really.

Edit: In fact, there is MUCH more to this game than just DPS.
    Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    miirik wrote: »
    i'm talking top tier DPS.

Top 10% starts at 29k.
    Top 5% starts at 37k.
    Top 1% starts at 53k.

That kind of DPS per individual?
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    Top 10% starts at 29k.
    Top 5% starts at 37k.
    Top 1% starts at 53k.

That kind of DPS per individual?

anything over 10k DPS is top tier hardcore min/maxed elitist fake padded DPS.

...and yes TEAMWORK is very OP.
  • oricolawleoricolawle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I ran ANRA earlier and I was defecating all over the enemies, left and right. It was almost as easy as it was prior to DR being released.

This thread is a troll isn't it

http://cdn.img42.com/db7cdc6b1a760b9830efcbc838283554.png
    Main character: Lesasea@oricolawle

Leader of Quantum Mechanics

Member of DPS-30000
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Actually just completed a round of azure nebula advanced. Just got my Eclipse cruiser, and wanted to test it in a few different areas. Well, it doesn't have the dps for this, obviously, so instead I used its cloak and mask energy field from the adapted maco set to clear 3 or the tractor beams, and the rep trait cloak for the 4th. Me and one other teammate cleared 2 of the ships in about 1 minute and 30 seconds. The rest of the team did something similar for the third. It was the best teamwork I've seen in a very long time.
  • admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love posts where people declare a PSA
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Teamwork is a exploit by 17 times over powered.

You suppose to spend money on dilithium for research packs and dilithium to gamble on max gear to out DPS NPC's with up to 7 times the hull. According to Cryptic!

Joking.

Doesn't work anymore unless you are min-maxxed out, i'm talking top tier DPS. The enemies have too much HP now to burn through for everyone to take out 3 teams and capture the ships.

A) Someone to tank and draw away the fire and perhaps move the enemy out of firing range while someone else takes the ship

or

B) use w/e means to get the enemy out of firing range from where you would be when trying to save the ship, something along the lines of pushing them out with repulsors then keeping them in place with a gravity well, the reverse can work sometimes as the gravity well will ball them together for your repulsors to push in mainly one-ish direction.
  • alfiedonoalfiedono Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    :eek: You guys do know that ACETONS are the key to winning and surviving azure nebula right?

You don't need DPS or teamwork, just drop a couple of those shinny things next to a group, sit back and watch them burn!
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The key to ANRA is simple, don't suck. You don't need top tier dps setups for any of the advanced content after all the nerfs. Just need to have a basic setup where you can pull 15-20k dps, which is extremely easy now days, and you can clear even a level 5 spawn in under a minute by yourself.

Seriously, draw them off 10km and then have someone save the ship, ugh, I have no words..........
  • porchsongporchsong Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well damn. We have been smashing ANRA and winning it the wrong way the whole time. Thanks for the PSA, I will make sure to implement your suggestions to make Advanced an actual challenge now.
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    PSA: stop trying to win Azure Nebula Advanced by DPS

Who said we're trying? Why stop when we're winning?
  • pewpewphazorspewpewphazors Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To be fair to op, he's not really wrong. The tholian ships do disappear if they're still alive when the romulan ship is freed but I imagine that this requires a team that has tbr, projected singularity, the vesta graviton console, and whatever other gimmicky console there is to move ships away. Either that or multiple ships with cloaking and multiple ships with very high threat generation. (I have never actually tried ships with cloaking in anra so idk exactly if it works)

Either way it just seems like it requires too much specialization when a simple "spread out and dps on the lower number ships first" would suffice
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm guessing from some of the later replies, that it's more a case that it should have been a PSA for those with subpar damage at at the gratuitous level should consider other tactics than it was about folks needing that high end DPS, and that somebody that muddles along in the middle of the pack of should be fine...?

Haven't run it - haven't really run any queues as there hasn't been any need to do so...so just don't know and was curious. Thanks.
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited November 2014

or

yesterday me and 3 premates did azure and each of us basicly sit at one spot alone + the random guy flyn around

was pretty easy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    yesterday me and 3 premates did azure and each of us basicly sit at one spot alone + the random guy flyn around

was pretty easy
    I want to win that way as well! Could you point out to me which of the three premates you were with?
  • centurion47centurion47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    One can clearly see all you guys simply don't PUG...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Even if your using team work of one draws aggro and one rescues, you need at least ONE dps to save the one ship alone. Not a lot since a 10k DPS can do a tliss solo...but you do need one at least.
    Or you can do 2 + 3 groups. A group with 3 in it can cap two ships in time no problem (one draws aggro, two rescue for twice the speed).
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    One can clearly see all you guys simply don't PUG...

Oh I pug it for amusement sometimes. Its not unusual to see 3-4 pugs take longer to free a 1 point spawn than I do to free a 5 by myself. Just because your average pug is terrible isn't an excuse to claim DPS is not the answer to ANRA. DPS is infact exactly what is needed, and what your average pug is lacking.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm glad at least someone around here recognizes strategies other than THROW DEEPS AT THEM TILL THEY DIE.

<3
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well it seems some of you completely missed the point and barked about your DPS strategies. I said that can still be done if you have a high enough DPS, but for anyone like myself who doesn't carry around fleet consoles or all purple MK XII gear (or upgrading yet) despite been playing since spring 2013, whom also doesn't role a tac officer and doesn't run into every STF with a AP beamboat. Yeah I probably have around 5k dps, and thats just a cold guess because I have never been DPS checked.

also im talking about pugs more or less, if you have teams with your fleets that do this then you already have this pat down.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I love posts where people declare a PSA

I know a PSA as a Prostate Specific Antigen, but what does it mean in this context?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • centurion47centurion47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    Oh I pug it for amusement sometimes. Its not unusual to see 3-4 pugs take longer to free a 1 point spawn than I do to free a 5 by myself. Just because your average pug is terrible isn't an excuse to claim DPS is not the answer to ANRA. DPS is infact exactly what is needed, and what your average pug is lacking.

A PUG team can finish ANRA even with the relatively low DPS numbers you'll expect to find with the "average pug" - if they know what they need to do.
    But when you write into the team channel "fail condition is 3 ships in 3 min" and "lower numbers first", the briefing timer ends.... and every body else go full impulse in the direction of the one Falchion that was spawned...

DPS doesn't even matter at that point.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The repulsors and GW does work nicely if you have a sneak with you.

If you have a sneak you will solve it anyway. If you have communication you will solve it.
    Pugs don't have communication.

Best bet is to solo one yourself and hope the other 4 players split up into 2 teams of 2.

I can just solo one and help free the third in the last 30 seconds. However most often the result is only 1 warbird freed with the other 4 players staying together and still unable to free 1 = waste of time to pug.

Same result on BDA. I have 2 characters that can free between 8 and 10 borg per round. The group usually frees between 8 and 12 total in the second round as often less borg spawn. You need to split up and cover all 3 areas = impossible to pug.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    PSA: I still can't find my pants

My team will play our way, you play your way
    GwaoHAD.png
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well it seems some of you completely missed the point and barked about your DPS strategies. I said that can still be done if you have a high enough DPS, but for anyone like myself who doesn't carry around fleet consoles or all purple MK XII gear (or upgrading yet) despite been playing since spring 2013, whom also doesn't role a tac officer and doesn't run into every STF with a AP beamboat. Yeah I probably have around 5k dps, and thats just a cold guess because I have never been DPS checked.

also im talking about pugs more or less, if you have teams with your fleets that do this then you already have this pat down.

So your saying it's ok for other people to do all the killing because you decided not to come prepared.

Yeh like to see a Major League Baseball game where they show up with wiffle ball bats.
    download.jpg
  • oricolawleoricolawle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm glad at least someone around here recognizes strategies other than THROW DEEPS AT THEM TILL THEY DIE.

<3

Uninstall, please
    Main character: Lesasea@oricolawle

Leader of Quantum Mechanics

Member of DPS-30000
  • blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That's rude it's all numbers the majority of people who play are average.

Not everybody can have top DPS and he's right.

The game should be balanced so SCI powers do the same DPS as energy builds.

What gets me do people not understand everyone is different.

People like and have different preferences by having choices in the game people should be able to do well with whatever.

Now unless people are here trolling or just bragging just be real.
    download.jpg