test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will the 'upgrade' cost change?

dykerasdykeras Member Posts: 326 Arc User
After Farming for both Dill and Credits, I am finally ready to start and upgrade my shiny new T6 ship, but with the absolute crazy cost of upgrading I have a fear soon the devs may change it to make it cost far less *so the non-rich casuals can actually have a chance to upgrade items).

So, wondering whether to upgrade now or wait a few weeks and see what happens...
Post edited by dykeras on

Comments

• Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well ... one question ... why do you want to upgrade anyway ... farm Mk XII so you can upgrade to Mk XIV, so you can farm Mk XII again ... the whole concept is rather disturbing ...

... back to topic ... nobody knows ... but since there are already some Mk XIII Items "for free", there might be (cheaper/free) Mk XIV somewhere in the future ... not sure if "few weeks" will suffice, though ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So...you're a whale, and the game revolves around you...and you have a ear that that is somehow going to change? Why would it? And why would you be concerned? PWE isn't interested in poor college students or anyone who isn't inheriting their parents' ginormous estate. If you ARE a whale...you'll be fine. Your opinions are the only ones PWE cares about.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    dykerasdykeras Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    So...you're a whale, and the game revolves around you...and you have a ear that that is somehow going to change? Why would it? And why would you be concerned? PWE isn't interested in poor college students or anyone who isn't inheriting their parents' ginormous estate. If you ARE a whale...you'll be fine. Your opinions are the only ones PWE cares about.

I guess i'll upgrade then ... :cool:
  • Options
    sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    PWE isn't interested in poor college students
    I'm a college student..
    or anyone who isn't inheriting their parents' ginormous estate.
    I'll be lucky if my inheritance includes anything except bills
    If you ARE a whale...you'll be fine. Your opinions are the only ones PWE cares about.
    I'm a whale... but I'm not fine... going on 12 days without having spent anything on this game. It makes me sad because of the whole bonus Zen weekend, PWE lost maybe $1000 from me, I've been wanting to upgrade my Deflector and Weapons, but still refuse to spend anything until the XP in unnerfed - and if that never happens, I guess I'm no longer a whale.

Meh, their loss.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sardocian wrote: »
    I'm a whale... but I'm not fine... going on 12 days without having spent anything on this game. It makes me sad because of the whole bonus Zen weekend, PWE lost maybe $1000 from me, I've been wanting to upgrade my Deflector and Weapons, but still refuse to spend anything until the XP in unnerfed - and if that never happens, I guess I'm no longer a whale.

Meh, their loss.

Simce I'm just a whalette, I only spent $200 this weekend. Still, I burned over 1.2 million Dilithium in a matter of hours, and nearly 200 million in EC, all on upgrades. :(

The Dev in the last podcast said they would look into lowering the upgrade cost. I hope they make that soon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dykeras wrote: »
    After Farming for both Dill and Credits, I am finally ready to start and upgrade my shiny new T6 ship, but with the absolute crazy cost of upgrading I have a fear soon the devs may change it to make it cost far less *so the non-rich casuals can actually have a chance to upgrade items).

So, wondering whether to upgrade now or wait a few weeks and see what happens...

It's always a possibility. At the same time, I get the impression that initial costs are where they want them and that future cost adjustments will be targeted at making it cheaper for people who already have upgraded to gear up alternate ships or alternate characters.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I never understood the point of some people needing to get Epic Mk XIV equipment. Being able to upgrade to purple Mk XIV is good enough for the majority and epic gear should be limited to the rich, stupid, and/or players with far too much time.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The amount of dilithium and timegates needed to beef up a console's performance by a few percent (or in some cases fractions of a percent) is ridiculous.

If I have the dilithium and R&D space to make a few upgrade kits I may do it out of boredom.

But all things considered, wasting that kind of dilithium on fractions of a percent just seem like a waste of time, when dilithium can be easily used for other things. Such as Zen or alternative weapons.

You would probably get more performance out of creating min-maxed builds using basic equipment for specific enemy groups than wasting those kinds of resources on upgrading a console from Mk XII to Mk XIV.

For what I can only speculate as a similar amount of time and purple money.

Just my (possibly ill-informed) opinion.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    I never understood the point of some people needing to get Epic Mk XIV equipment. Being able to upgrade to purple Mk XIV is good enough for the majority and epic gear should be limited to the rich, stupid, and/or players with far too much time.

Who says anything about Epic?! I upgrade all my gear to Ultra Rare Mk XIV, tops. Except for a few DHC's I have Epic, and the odd console that 'accidentally' went Epic.

Still, even at Very Rare, rolling a 318k upgrade-xp item several times (like a KCB) is extremely costly.

As for the ever-recurring "You don't need top Mk XIV gear!!" argument, people choose to get the best gear (and not even the Epic-best) for the same reason they, prior to DR, wanted purple end-gear too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    The amount of dilithium and timegates needed to beef up a console's performance by a few percent (or in some cases fractions of a percent) is ridiculous.

If I have the dilithium and R&D space to make a few upgrade kits I may do it out of boredom.

But all things considered, wasting that kind of dilithium on fractions of a percent just seem like a waste of time, when dilithium can be easily used for other things. Such as Zen or alternative weapons.

You would probably get more performance out of creating min-maxed builds using basic equipment for specific enemy groups than wasting those kinds of resources on upgrading a console from Mk XII to Mk XIV.

For what I can only speculate as a similar amount of time and purple money.

Just my (possibly ill-informed) opinion.

Well, some consoles (the crafted ones) gain a whole modifier, albeit a random one.

So the RCS upgraded console with a Turn mod provides a 90% turnrate boost.

The sci console with the Turn mod can provide another 45%.

Both can also get a ResistAll.

And consoles are cheaper to upgrade than other gear. They have the lowest upgrade costs of any gear, I think.

The ones that strike me as out of whack are Warp Cores, which provide almost no benefit.

Ground gear should probably also be cheaper for the relative investment since people who play ground seem more inclinced to stock multiple sets and, if nothing else, to gear BOffs. And people who don't play ground as much would need cheaper upgrades to even consider it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, some consoles (the crafted ones) gain a whole modifier, albeit a random one.

So the RCS upgraded console with a Turn mod provides a 90% turnrate boost.

The sci console with the Turn mod can provide another 45%.

Both can also get a ResistAll.

And consoles are cheaper to upgrade than other gear. They have the lowest upgrade costs of any gear, I think.

The ones that strike me as out of whack are Warp Cores, which provide almost no benefit.

Ground gear should probably also be cheaper for the relative investment since people who play ground seem more inclinced to stock multiple sets and, if nothing else, to gear BOffs. And people who don't play ground as much would need cheaper upgrades to even consider it.

Would you say that one of these crafted consoles with the 'right' modifiers that end up on it are worth the equivelant amount of dilithium/mats/time/etc. put into them, as alternatively compared to some of the reputation dilithium store items with modifiers you can pick and choose? Or non-upgraded fleet equipment from the fleet provision stores?

This isn't a rhetorical question.

I'm really curious if in your educated opinion on the matter if the resources spent on upgrading some of these things are fair compared to simply purchasing alternative, non-upgraded equipment for specific enemy groups/missions/whatever.

For example purchasing Bio-Molecular Phasers/Disruptors from the reputation store for dilithium to fight the Undine, as compared to possibly upgrading the Hydrodynamics Compensator Console or the 3-4 piece Undine set.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Would you say that one of these crafted consoles with the 'right' modifiers that end up on it are worth the equivelant amount of dilithium/mats/time/etc. put into them, as alternatively compared to some of the reputation dilithium store items with modifiers you can pick and choose? Or non-upgraded fleet equipment from the fleet provision stores?

This isn't a rhetorical question.

I'm really curious if in your educated opinion on the matter if the resources spent on upgrading some of these things are fair compared to simply purchasing alternative, non-upgraded equipment for specific enemy groups/missions/whatever.

For example purchasing Bio-Molecular Phasers/Disruptors from the reputation store for dilithium to fight the Undine, as compared to possibly upgrading the Hydrodynamics Compensator Console or the 3-4 piece Undine set.

Get the right mod and you can sell for upwards of 100 million EC.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Get the right mod and you can sell for upwards of 100 million EC.

Business prospects aside, I mean more in the way of performance.

The dilithium spent to (for example) purchasing bio-molecular energy weapons for a ship, or upgrading the reputation pieces to Mk XIV. Supposing, of course, you didn't have a full complement of bio-molecular weapons beforehand.

In terms of performance against the Undine enemy group, I would hypothesize the performance measured from Mk XIV undine sets used with regular weapons would not be as noticable as simply purchasing Mk XII bio-molecular weapons with a non-upgraded Mk XII undine set.

Not to mention cheaper and less time consuming.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dykeras wrote: »

I suspect that the base cost will not change much. But I would hold off on alts and on upgrading equipment you need for alternative builds.

The Priority One podcast gives a good hope that they will think about making the upgrade system more alt-friendly. (No promises, however). But it also made it unlikely that any changes would come before next year. The Holiday Season will probably limit the number and size of updates we'll get for the rest of the year.

And if you upgrade, remember to get superior kits. And it could also be worth first upgrading stuff to Mark XIII, since that upgrade is much cheaper than the upgrade from Mark XIII to Mark IV. So your risks in wasting dilithium due to cost reductions that come later are low, but you likely already get a good benefit from it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Business prospects aside, I mean more in the way of performance.

The dilithium spent to (for example) purchasing bio-molecular energy weapons for a ship, or upgrading the reputation pieces to Mk XIV. Supposing, of course, you didn't have a full complement of bio-molecular weapons beforehand.

In terms of performance against the Undine enemy group, I would hypothesize the performance measured from Mk XIV undine sets used with regular weapons would not be as noticable as simply purchasing Mk XII bio-molecular weapons with a non-upgraded Mk XII undine set.

Not to mention cheaper and less time consuming.

But is it is ever just about performance? The Undine Phasers are green, no one wants that. :p

And I am also not convinced that the performance of the Mark XIV item isn't better or equal, simply because your damage output is already higher.

And then you have to consider - how much would it cost to have NPC faction specific weapons. And what if you want to content involving factions that don't have counter-gear (Argala runs?)?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Mk XIII for weapons is good enough for me. Honestly, I am not sure it was worth it. Upgrading my fleet consoles was a complete waste, given the tiny improvement. I might take 1 or 2 weapons to Mk XIV but certainly not a lot of them. Nothing is getting upgraded to epic on purpose.

What I am probably going to do is upgrade some Mk X weapons that I still have laying around to Mk XII because I like their mods.

You can use the upgrade window to see what the stats are for the next Mk level to see if the boost is worth it for you.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Something I noticed is that the stats from Rare to Ultra Rare don't even change on some things...now, maybe they do when you reach Epic, but how the hell much money is it going to cost to make them that? I'll admit, I upgraded a couple of consoles to Epic, because the stats really were better, but it was a hell of a slog and at least the end result seemed worth it. I'm just not going there on weapons, engines, shields, etc...
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wait a few weeks. While the direct cost of upgrading isn't changing, the indirect cost for the materials is changing soon and should have a net result of material prices going down, which will in turn lower the cost of upgrades and everything else related to R&D and Upgrading on the exchange, at least by a bit.

Plus there may be an R&D promotion coming very soon that would flood the market with materials and components.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sardocian wrote: »
    going on 12 days without having spent anything on this game.

12 WHOLE days?? That's horrible! You must be shaking in withdrawal!! *hands glass of kanar*

In all seriousness, I'm glad you aren't spending money on the game anymore. It's really good to know even the whales are getting tired of it.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.