test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Could STO do a 'Well of Goodwill'?

bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Original Concept: https://www.google.com/search?q=well+of+goodwill&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

*Click the first link, stupid filter won't let me use the word rune scape in the hyperlink ugh*

Basically it would be a location where players could 'donate' energy credits (destroying them) and for every so many million credits applied Cryptic would donate actual money to a charity. Additionally players could directly donate Zen if they so desired.

Cryptic would set a cap after which it would end so they could decided the limit. With leaderboards, possibly a title and/or costumes or other prizes given away randomly or to top donors and to all who donate to offer a bit more incentive if desired.

This would also be a great way to get energy credits out of the economy and possibly reduce some zen stockpiles. And that is without even mentioning it's great for the charity!

I just think this is the most amazing solution to in game currency inflation I have ever seen and would love to see a Star Trek game do something similar.
Post edited by bareel on

Comments

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Laddie, what we are talking about here is a company with an even bigger company above it, bent on making money, currently going through not the best PR moment in its history, paying actual money to charity for x amount of ec destroyed, while I already know players owning billions of ec.

If this happens, I hereby swear, I'll eat a sock.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Perfect World? Donate? To....CHARITY??

Are you out of your Vulcan mind?
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Perfect World already did this at the beginning of the month with the Extra Life charity. Donating $500 would have giving you an exclusive hoodie limited to PWE employees and a Logitech device. The other levels just gave ingame items like 500 Zen, Section 31 uniform, bundles, etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Perfect World already did this at the beginning of the month with the Extra Life charity. Donating $500 would have giving you an exclusive hoodie limited to PWE employees and a Logitech device. The other levels just gave ingame items like 500 Zen, Section 31 uniform, bundles, etc.

I honestly didn't know that. It sounds out of character for such a blatantly money-grubbing corporation.

Can you cite a source of this blasphemy? And what was the final donation total? OH, and how much of the final number as from PWE and how much was from employee donations? You know...traceable numbers.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I honestly didn't know that. It sounds out of character for such a blatantly money-grubbing corporation.

Can you cite a source of this blasphemy? And what was the final donation total? OH, and how much of the final number as from PWE and how much was from employee donations? You know...traceable numbers.

They seemed to have done reasonably well for it.
    We are at 22k and climbing! Right now we have our Forsaken World livestream going on with Domino from our BLR team, and Trendy in chat command.

Join us in just 2 hours for our STO Lvevstream for ExtraLife!

We have a boat load of prizes to give out, and will be streaming today from 12-2 PM PDT and 5-9 PM PDT, so you have plenty of chances to win!

Don't forget to check out our donations page on the ExtraLife Charity Website and make your tax deductible donation today to help kids in need, and help support the Children's Miracle Hospital network that does so much for families across the world.

We will update the thread with more news as we get closer to our broadcasts!

Thanks again everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

According to the the Extra Life website, this event had people donate $26,209 with a goal of $25,000. Obviously, PWE didn't donate $26,000, but it did get STO and other PWE MMO players to donate and get some ingame items in the process.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Interesting. Cool for the charity. But I still suspect there was more than a little PR in their motivations there.

Does this mean PWE itself didn't donate?
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    These guys creating some kind of a charity fund is like the IRS having a donate to charity box on your tax return. People aren't feeling the love right now with all of the monetization that's been built into the latest expansion and them doing any kind of a charity thing now is going to be seen as just a shameless PR stunt. Then there is the legal stuff, there are regulations about what they can and can not do in a game when doing business with various countries and asking for money for a charity treads into dangerous territory. They're safe doing it outside of the game like with the Extra Life thing but in game could be a whole different story.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Interesting. Cool for the charity. But I still suspect there was more than a little PR in their motivations there.

Does this mean PWE itself didn't donate?

Aside from some virtual items, exclusive hoodies, and Logitech accessories, no. Charity driven through greed usually has the company just donate the prizes and not actual money to the charity itself. PWE employees could have donated, but it was through their own personal accounts and not through PWE.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If PW donated one cent for every nerf Cryptic did, they'd be broke now. :rolleyes:
    hardly, they could delete every line of code for a penny and still be billionaires.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Can you cite a source of this blasphemy?

you had no further to look then the sto/cryptic very own web page here>
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9001023-star-trek-online-teams-up-with-extralife%21

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I wonder how much they'd keep upfront? Then turn around and write off the rest in taxes.

Charity indeed.

It is a PR stunt so PWE would give all it raised to Extra Life. How much charities waste on operational costs is another story. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some charities that have 99% operational costs.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Original Concept: https://www.google.com/search?q=well+of+goodwill&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

*Click the first link, stupid filter won't let me use the word rune scape in the hyperlink ugh*

Basically it would be a location where players could 'donate' energy credits (destroying them) and for every so many million credits applied Cryptic would donate actual money to a charity. Additionally players could directly donate Zen if they so desired.

Cryptic would set a cap after which it would end so they could decided the limit. With leaderboards, possibly a title and/or costumes or other prizes given away randomly or to top donors and to all who donate to offer a bit more incentive if desired.

This would also be a great way to get energy credits out of the economy and possibly reduce some zen stockpiles. And that is without even mentioning it's great for the charity!

I just think this is the most amazing solution to in game currency inflation I have ever seen and would love to see a Star Trek game do something similar.

simple point; cryptic needs money to survive and they are not a charity business. if people have that much money they dont know what to do with, they should donate their own money instead of putting it into a computer game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    It's an interesting idea.

Maybe add some sort of individual and fleet accolades for donation level. A public listing of the donations made etc.

I'm doubtful however that Cryptic would do anything on that scale. It would cost them time and money to develop and deploy properly, and they have hundreds of other issues on their plates.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's an interesting idea.

Maybe add some sort of individual and fleet accolades for donation level. A public listing of the donations made etc.

You wan't rewards and public praising for making the highest donations? :rolleyes: Charity is not about buffing up your own ego. I always make my donations anonymously and I'm not donating at all where this isn't possible.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    szim wrote: »
    You wan't rewards and public praising for making the highest donations? :rolleyes: Charity is not about buffing up your own ego. I always make my donations anonymously and I'm not donating at all where this isn't possible.

silly rabbit everything is for buffing up one's ego. :P

why do you thnk all those rich people talk about giving something back but it's never the money it's sometimes some money but never a whole lot compared to what they have.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i spend my time time in charity shops doing voluntary work 2x a week, let it not be stated that people try to presume to know :P.

my time gets them money for their business and its worth more then any money i can pull out which is very little anyways, its better this way.

there are other ways to go about getting a charity cause going but i still fail to see why some rich dude sets up a charity event when he wouldnt need to put himself through all types of TRIBBLE when he could just hand some money over to the cause instead.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    If they add a "Well of Goodwill" I'll pee in it.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And I thought I was a bitter cynic :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Aside from some virtual items, exclusive hoodies, and Logitech accessories, no. Charity driven through greed usually has the company just donate the prizes and not actual money to the charity itself. PWE employees could have donated, but it was through their own personal accounts and not through PWE.

Again, cool for the charity. But PWE....NOT cool in the slightest.

I think the tax writeoff theory is a good one. That's why Oprah "gives away" free cars all the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Again, cool for the charity. But PWE....NOT cool in the slightest.

I think the tax writeoff theory is a good one. That's why Oprah "gives away" free cars all the time.

This happens all the time in charity events especially with those Charity Lotteries. PWE didn't donate something as extravagant as a House, Vacation, or Car, but they did promote awareness for this charity. Most of the people that donated to this charity through this event would have either not donated at all or donated to something else without PWE's involvement.

Charity through greed is disgusting, but necessary considering what type of people most of us are.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm a little biased. I was in the army, and The American Red Cross was responsible for telling families when their kids were killed in action. They do some great work overall, at least from my perspective as a former enlisted grunt. BUT...they also have sky high operating costs, being that they're spread as thin as our military. There's also the obvious question of how much money is ACTUALLY going to the cause itself. But if I were to make a donation, and I emphasize IF, it would probably be to them. Otherwise...I actually agree with the cynicism.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm a little biased. I was in the army, and The American Red Cross was responsible for telling families when their kids were killed in action. They do some great work overall, at least from my perspective as a former enlisted grunt. BUT...they also have sky high operating costs, being that they're spread as thin as our military. There's also the obvious question of how much money is ACTUALLY going to the cause itself. But if I were to make a donation, and I emphasize IF, it would probably be to them. Otherwise...I actually agree with the cynicism.

Charity is not all about donating money. Donating time, services, and/or food are all methods of charity that don't require money. Besides donating things other than money means that it is more likely that your resources goes toward those who need it and not to pay for someone's yacht.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Charity is not all about donating money. Donating time, services, and/or food are all methods of charity that don't require money. Besides donating things other than money means that it is more likely that your resources goes toward those who need it and not to pay for someone's yacht.

I have to agree with you there. Doctors Without Borders is a great example. They go to the ****tiest economically jacked up countries and stay in the finest hotels there....which equate to our basic Motel 6. Most of these docs can afford to take a year off and have a nice house waiting for them and whatnot...but going to a war-torn country for humanitarian aid is a huge thing. They mostly only go to help people (and add to their resume). I actually wish more charities had the core intents as DWB. I think a lot of grass-roots charity organizations stat out that way, but then get corrupted by the money.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think a lot of grass-roots charity organizations stat out that way, but then get corrupted by the money.

This is why it is important to check out the charity's operational costs before you donate to them. If for every dollar you spend, 1 cent goes to help people, then find some other charity. If for every dollar you spend, 99 cents goes to help people, then it is hard to find a better charity to donate to. Of course, there are other requirements to figuring out which charity to donate to, but this is one of the main ones.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    szim wrote: »

Completely agree, but reality says otherwise.

We spend time helping a group with fundraising. While a percentage of our donations comes from anonymous sources, the real meat and potatoes comes from a select few. Public ty's go a long way in reopening those wallets year after year.