test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ionic Turbulence, diasable and PvP implications

Comments

• wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sry mates, i tend to disagree and read nothing yet that would convince me :D:( (i beg for, plz convince me!)...

IF it's bugged in both ways at least me want em to fix it (i know, who cares lol)! that simple. no problems with ya points of views, but from mine it's stu*** sh** in both ways.
    the disable f**** it all up imo. but that's a personal thing ;)...

now, i not wanted to attack anyone with this post! though i can't find clearer words, don't feel offended anyone! may the day just has been too long yet lol.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In the end, the "simplest" thing to do would be to make it do what it says it should do instead of what it does, eh?

-Flight Speed
    -Flight Friction
    -All Damage Resistance Rating
    -Chance to Hold + Repel

Cause there's nothing in there about doing the disable...

...to be blunt, it shouldn't be a "complaint" thread - it should be a "bug" report over in the bug section.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In the end, the "simplest" thing to do would be to make it do what it says it should do instead of what it does, eh?

-Flight Speed
    -Flight Friction
    -Chance to Hold + Repel

...to be blunt, it shouldn't be a "complaint" thread - it should be a "bug" report over in the bug section.

That would work for me :)
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited November 2014

-Flight Speed
    -Flight Friction
    -Chance to Hold + Repel

this (already had the same thought)! i will post one later at some time, in the beginning of this one it hadn't been that clear, at least to me ;). i'd really appreciate if someone else would do it, as i'm kinda... :D (at least in this very moment).
    also i'm not sure if they like me that much to drop something on the matter lol :rolleyes:. i also don't care if they like me at all lol, though may someone with a more cooled down reputation could get better results ;).

in short: i'll make one, but would appreciate if someone beats me to it.
    edited November 2014
    Course, they could come back and say it was a tooltip typo and it's working as intended. :P

Cause a "Hold" effect...well, that's a Ground thing - there was a bunch of Ground terminology that's appeared in Space tooltips.

And I'm just not really all that familiar with Ground to say what a "Hold" is...

...but with it being Hold + Repel, that speaks to movement.

Could it just be a Stun + Repel or is it something else?

Don't really know...can't say...I'm trying to do so stuff in the game and it's killing me how unresponsive the UI is - playing this without playing other games for a couple of years, I guess I grew accustomed to all the problems here - didn't have that comparison to make with other games. Kind of wish I hadn't dorked around with other games recently - makes it even harder to stay here.
    edited November 2014
    Course, they could come back and say it was a tooltip typo and it's working as intended. :-P

Cause a "Hold" effect...well, that's a Ground thing - there was a bunch of Ground terminology that's appeared in Space tooltips.

And I'm just not really all that familiar with Ground to say what a "Hold" is...

...but with it being Hold + Repel, that speaks to movement.

Could it just be a Stun + Repel or is it something else?

Don't really know...can't say...I'm trying to do so stuff in the game and it's killing me how unresponsive the UI is - playing this without playing other games for a couple of years, I guess I grew accustomed to all the problems here - didn't have that comparison to make with other games. Kind of wish I hadn't dorked around with other games recently - makes it even harder to stay here.

well, if ya ask me that dev-post has been kinda clear on that one. everything points onto that shaking-part in that imo. yay, opinions :D...
    and if ya got urself to disconnect from sto for whatever games may better hug it :D;)... (u know "we" want u to stay :P)

lil sidenote: i remember to have read that dev-post, i think before delta rising hit. so it is nothing out of the blue.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited November 2014

IT seems to be a cut and paste of frictionless grenade. They do the exact same thing.
    edited November 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    IT seems to be a cut and paste of frictionless grenade. They do the exact same thing.

thx dude :), sounds like ur assumption is more likely. no matter if this thread ran out its cause, i'll take that into the op.

edit: did it. link to bug-thread
  • bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If anyone ever needs a good example of the seven stages of grief rapidly being applied to a problem, I'm sending them to this thread. :P

Ionic isn't broken, its as was said, a copy pasta'd ground skill. I think we all need to just accept at this point, PvP in this game is done. PvE is as well, but cryptic will find a way to turn a profit so it doesn't matter. Gonna be completely honest, if news went across Gekos desk that intel killed pvp, he'd mark it a holiday. There are ways to counter ionic but the windows to do so are so small, and you have to have a skill running preemptively in addition to good timing on evasives, however, just a small note I've noticed when using this skill. I live physically 4-5 hrs from the actual servers. I'm also on a fiber connection. When I use Ionic on people, their ships have a habit of rubberbanding all over my screen as the skill is active. This is what I feel is the only "glitched' part of the skill because of low vs med/high latency. For example, your ship is perfectly infront of me when I hit ionic, flying downwards to my right. Ionic is fired as you cross the front of my ship, your ship will continue flying for 2-3s, but ionic is flying where your ship was when the button was pressed. 9/10 times I'll watch peoples ships "sucked" back to where ionic was initiated visually. I'm not network savvy enough to nail down whats at fault there, but I can say this, the skill should be deadfire like EWP. If a skill is causing that kind of latency issue, there's more going wrong than we know of imo.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bwemo wrote: »
    Ionic isn't broken, its as was said, a copy pasta'd ground skill. <<< no.

I can say this, the skill should be deadfire like EWP. <<< yes that was brought up.

More than once.

L2Paragraph. On a more relevant note:

2 choices.

Developer was mistaken when he posted that the intent was for a person to be able to maneuver away before ionic detonated or he wasn't mistaken. Or maybe they changed their minds and didn't tell anyone. We don't know. So one thing or the other needs to be corrected.

EDIT: Here, save yourself TWO ENTIRE STAGES!
  • bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    thissler wrote: »
    L2Paragraph. On a more relevant note:

2 choices.

Developer was mistaken when he posted that the intent was for a person to be able to maneuver away before ionic detonated or he wasn't mistaken. Or maybe they changed their minds and didn't tell anyone. We don't know. So one thing or the other needs to be corrected.

EDIT: Here, save yourself TWO ENTIRE STAGES!

Paragraphs are for beammedown.

Ionic IS frictionless grenade. Literally copypasta'd. The reason SCI and ENG team stay useable has absolutely nothing to do with Ionic. It has to do with -old code- when sci/eng team were the only disable clears. You need to stop thinking cryptic did a so b. It's more like cryptic did a (copy pasta frictionless) without thinking about b (old eng/sci team rules on disables) which causes the playerbase to believe C, that something obviously went wrong if the two useable abilities during the disable do not clear the disable. Stop giving cryptic credit, even their **** ups are by grace of the horrible state of the integrity of sto's main database. I mean what are we on Voldemort #5 now?

I'm not saying Ionic isn't complete horse **** in its current state. It's literally removed any form of tactics from PvP. Its just disable > kill. Or Disable > disable > disable > slowly kill. Please go play with frictionless grenade before telling me no again. Thanks!
    edited November 2014
    Paragraphs are for beammedown.

Ionic IS frictionless grenade. Literally copypasta'd. The reason SCI and ENG team stay useable has absolutely nothing to do with Ionic. It has to do with -old code- when sci/eng team were the only disable clears. You need to stop thinking cryptic did a so b. It's more like cryptic did a (copy pasta frictionless) without thinking about b (old eng/sci team rules on disables) which causes the playerbase to believe C, that something obviously went wrong if the two useable abilities during the disable do not clear the disable. Stop giving cryptic credit, even their **** ups are by grace of the horrible state of the integrity of sto's main database. I mean what are we on Voldemort #5 now?

I'm not saying Ionic isn't complete horse **** in its current state. It's literally removed any form of tactics from PvP. Its just disable > kill. Or Disable > disable > disable > slowly kill. Please go play with frictionless grenade before telling me no again. Thanks!

No. Paragraphs are for people that wish to communicate by writing.

It's broken. Read the post. Or don't. But stop citing facts that aren't facts. You have zero proof of what you're saying, and I can give you a post from Borticus.

Guess who I'm putting my money on?
  • brle1950brle1950 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

It's broken. Read the post. Or don't. But stop citing facts that aren't facts. You have zero proof of what you're saying, and I can give you a post from Borticus.

I'd put my money on the old coding thing. ST/ET used to remove such debuffs way back, kinda safest to say that the devs have no clue about a lot of old codes which still exist in the game and interfer with a lot of things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

If you say Bort then there is zero hope for you. lol

Sadly or no I KNOW for a fact Lorie knows more about the games mechanics then Bort.

I'm sorry the only thing they have on most of us is the fact that they can see the databases ect. They don't understand them clearly...

As for Ionic... ya I been out for a week or two now. Still having used the Fric grenade for a bit I can say that Lorrie Sure is right. Its a 100% copy and paste job. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    here's the thought process behind how ionic was set up

Q1- is the whole unavoidable, 100% chase down everything disable a big deal or too powerful for the targets in pve?

A- no, npcs are just harmless obstacles that interrupt scans and have hitpoints.

Q2- is the whole unavoidable, 100% chase down everything disable a big deal or too powerful for the targets in pvp?

A- yes, but we could care less anymore, and doing anything but a whole blanket disable would double the work to creating this skill. plus C/P ground skill annnnd done. also my name is hawk and im about to quit because this game is an unfixable joke now.
    edited November 2014
    If anyone ever needs a good example of the seven stages of grief rapidly being applied to a problem, I'm sending them to this thread. :P

[...]

u know, i really thought about if i want to drop something on this (not really worth it imo :P). but obviously i came to the point i want to drop something on this:
    one can raise opinions in many ways. for some it's easier if u go polite and some come to get it if u rage. some only get it if u rage first and then go polite or the other way round.... some never get it, sure. but actually i just wanted to be clear as i can be on the matter in all the ways.
    and nope, it's not always about contents in a online-forum/-games what can get one into rage-mode (u know, there's a world outside).
    there's more about mood and reaction than the content and players of this game, though sometimes there are parallels and influences. i hope i explained it in a psychological way u can read, as u seem to be interested in psychologics.
    short: read it whatever way u want, i don't care... as long as u understand what is meant. well if ya not, it also doesn't really bother me, but i'd liked u to. and as said i don't want to argue with people on the internet or personally attack them, cause that now really is pointless imo (people, not authorities... even though it probably is even more pointless to attack authorities on the internet. but u know: me and authorities... :D). thx.

and i'm reflective enough to know that to post this may wasn't a good idea, cause it probably won't lead anyone anywhere lol... but if ya into psychologics u probably once heard about something called the "rhetorical case" i guess... now that that case is done for me feel free to post.... whatever ;-)...

though this thread seems more fun than the other, some may bump the bug-thread from time to time. i don't think we'll get any reply over the weekend and it would be a bit odd imo if that bug-thread gets burried over the we ;). thx.
    edited November 2014
    also my name is hawk and im about to quit because this game is an unfixable joke now.

Perhaps he was doing us a favor on the way out the door.

Perhaps it was his way of saying... look guys its dead I can't say it right now. I will just give you all a push off to other games where PvP is something the developers in charge in fact care about at least a little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    Perhaps he was doing us a favor on the way out the door.

Perhaps it was his way of saying... look guys its dead I can't say it right now. I will just give you all a push off to other games where PvP is something the developers in charge in fact care about at least a little.

indeed that short twitter post has been kind of suspicious imo. no goodbye, nor any other statement from anyone on the dev-team in the forums, or has there been something?
    edited November 2014
    If you say Bort then there is zero hope for you. lol

Sadly or no I KNOW for a fact Lorie knows more about the games mechanics then Bort.

I'm sorry the only thing they have on most of us is the fact that they can see the databases ect. They don't understand them clearly...

As for Ionic... ya I been out for a week or two now. Still having used the Fric grenade for a bit I can say that Lorrie Sure is right. Its a 100% copy and paste job. lol

If I was with you right now I wouldn't be typing this, we'd be too busy holding each other.

No. It is absolutely irrelevant to the discussion about your claims for Lorie. It really doesn't matter one little bit. I'll mail out a thimble so they both can tuck their knowledge of game mechanics safely away.

The point for discussion is 'does what the Dev say match what the power does'?

See how easy? And I gotta tell you, if you're gonna impress me with insight into game mechanics you won't be doing it with anyone on this forum.

Now lets snuggle more.
    edited November 2014
    Its a 100% copy and paste job.

Except it's not. Toss a grenade at somebody that's moving. If it were copy-pasta, there would be less of an issue. :D

edit: And well, there's this part - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc
    edited November 2014
    The point for discussion is 'does what the Dev say match what the power does'?

Fair enough well you guys started the thread back on Monday... so you continue to wait for someone at Cryptic to care enough to answer you on that one. lmao

Best be quick and find someone else in the thread to cuddle with while you wait something tells me your possible partner choices are drying up. ;)
    Except it's not. Toss a grenade at somebody that's moving. If it were copy-pasta, there would be less of an issue. :D

edit: And well, there's this part - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

In typical Cryptic fashion they copied and pasted, and then added a tree or two or changed the number on a texture reference. In this case they didn't copy over a reference to a spacial location target. That doesn't make it not a copy and paste. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    *cough*... this thread was started by none but me to collect opinions from the community, not to get a dev-answer in the first place... some dropped opinions, most did not (at least not constructive on topic), some dropped theirs several times (as me f.e.; and that's fine, because between the everythings "discussed" in here i not wanted to loose the cause)... just sayin' ;)...

and for the dev-part: u don't really think i'm expecting them to say something about, do ya? nevertheless the chance for any question to get an answer from them may could rise with some back up i guess...

but it's ok: attack each other, what gives lol...
    edited November 2014
    wast33 wrote: »
    but it's ok: attack each other, what gives lol...

Its more fun then logging in the game. ;)

Its at these points where we have to say stop mods where all friends and there where no real attacks. lol

Your right of course you didn't start it looking for a dev response. I think its telling though... any other MMO I have played if something like this was brought up in the forums and the bug sections. No doubt there would be an answer of some sort pretty quick. People have been asking this same thing since delta launched. The description sucks... and in the end the skill acts like a space version of Friction granade.

I'm sure there Skill/Power code modules default to a standard target tracking (always hit the current target) if it doesn't specify that it should target "current" location of target. Which they do use now on some newer space items... if I'm not mistaken there even cross linking those modules to other global effects modules, which seems like a bad practice if I'm right.

In this case it seems to some of us they simply copied most of the code from the ground skill... and perhaps all. Cause its possible in space default behaviour is to head to the current target unless told otherwise... and on the ground it is likely that skills by default head to the recorded target location when you activate them unless told to target X Entity.

At this point the only way this skill gets solved is if a Dev says yes the disable is intended or not. I would have to say it seems pretty intentional. I mean if the devs play this game themselves at all surely they would notice a skill not intended to disable... disables after weeks of releasing the skill. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    "salieri as i know him"

... probably nothing but true... sadly even the thing about the game and the forums :D:(...

*grouphugs, tons of popcorn and free drinks for all, straight outta germany* :)

btw: i started it in here cause i know the guys with most knowledge about the game-mechanics are to find in the pvp-forum. i was not sure if ionic was intended to work as it does now. and even though i'm around for 3 years by now (almost exactly) there's very much i do not know personally yet (and probably not care to learn lol, but i try to stay open-minded... from time to time hehe) :)...
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Fair enough well you guys started the thread back on Monday... so you continue to wait for someone at Cryptic to care enough to answer you on that one. lmao

Best be quick and find someone else in the thread to cuddle with while you wait something tells me your possible partner choices are drying up. ;)

In typical Cryptic fashion they copied and pasted, and then added a tree or two or changed the number on a texture reference. In this case they didn't copy over a reference to a spacial location target. That doesn't make it not a copy and paste. :)

the throw grenade part actually was C/P to EMPP, the travel too and activate part of ionic was lifted from scramble senors, the blob looks nearly the same, acts EXACTLY the same, just recolored a bit.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It should just move to the location you were at when it was launched, like some other abilities do.
    I support this idea.
  • c1cer0c1cer0 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    APO/A2D and of course Inertial Dampeners Skill should provide immunity/resistance to all the new disable Stuff (Intel or otherwise like Viral Torpedo).

Furthermore, Players should get immun for several seconds(30?) after a successful stun/disable !
    edited November 2014
    c1cer0 wrote: »
    APO/A2D and of course Inertial Dampeners Skill should provide immunity/resistance to all the new disable Stuff (Intel or otherwise like Viral Torpedo).

Furthermore, Players should get immun for several seconds(30?) after a successful stun/disable !

thx, updated op :).
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    A bit of a status update- last night CrypticFrost noticed the Ionic Turbulence thread in the bug reports section, and commented that he wrote it up and sent it on to Bort and the devs:

"I don't know if this is a bug, but I did write it up and sent it on to Borticus and Co. for review, including a link to this thread."

So if you all want to pile into the thread it'd be great because I can't be sure the devs will hit this thread up even though it was linked there.
  • grandpadxxgrandpadxx Member Posts: 342
    edited December 2014
    I also wrote a long bug report into the german Forum, the mod there will translate it and then send to the Dev's. This "Disable Online" has to be stoped. :cool:

Regarts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    T'lilu SCI. / Dxxdavid TAK. / STO Inner Circle
    *** R.I.P. ***