test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Get rid of Time gated content

cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
I play very casually why do I have to wait for reputation to be completed with the changes to the XP gain then surly they should remove or reduce the gated reqruirement to the reputation grind ?
Post edited by cavewark on

Comments

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That would make too much sense. PWE doesn't work that way.

Think of it this way--even the forum has a cooldown. It will NEVER be removed.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Time gating is just a way for Cryptic to pad their stats. 'See? People are playing x number of mins/hrs a day. We must be doing something right!'

As bad as the rep systems have been for time gating, they've got nothing on the recent Mirror Universe event and the R&D system. Only now have my characters finally started hitting level 15 in the first R&D school they started, to be able to craft the items I used to be able to craft before they changed it. And I haven't been playing nearly as much as I used to before the revamp.
  • vagiusvagius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    more Timegating and paywalls make Cryptic money. They seem to have recently discovered this with DR, and I can pretty much guarantee it's only going to get worse from here.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What if they timegated the timegate and timegated that because we were exploiting something that was working as intended? :confused: :eek:
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic has this bizarre idea that if people play for longer, they will spend more money.

Now this might be true if a game is fun but at the moment it's dull and repetitive and reminds me of a job I had in college processing payments for vehicle repairs carried out on behalf of a major insurance company.

Had they left the fun elements in nobody would have cared about the time-gated elements at all. We wouldn't even notice them.

The trouble is, we have nothing to do now except examine the changes to the game in minute detail which is why stealth nerfs, erroneous statements or broken promises are getting noticed so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • leyvinleyvin Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't really understand the problem ... I mean if it's just the 'Timers' then, so what? Just means grinding in marathon sessions when you do play, then logging each day for 5-10minutes to set everything going.

Heck that's how I'm actually levelling right now, because I'll be damned if I'm going to run the same content ad nuseum; have neither the time or patience, so I throw all my DOFFs on the highest SP Assignments I can find (regardless of what they are); as a few minutes a day feels far more cost effective time-wise than a couple of hours for the same ultimate result.

I've done this with Rep since they introduced it too, Grind the Marks on the weekend when I can play... set the Daily running each day. Sure I won't get done as quickly as those who are doing the hourly as well and as often as they can, but honestly it only ends up being a few days slower rather than weeks; and the way I do it, means I'm saving at the same time so I don't then have to grind again just to set the Gear Projects going too.

Don't get me wrong there are aspects of the new R&D system that I am disappointed that Cryptic did (although far from surprised) but the timers aren't one of them... mind perhaps it's because I'm used to Production and Research in Eve Online, where they have timers you can't 'pay to complete' and 20hrs would be one of the smaller tasks; we have certain production lines that are quite literally 7-10 days between the stages to a total of nearly a month for the final product.

Timers aren't always a bad thing, perhaps frustrating but not bad. Cryptic have been using them a bit more liberally as of the last couple of Expansions mind, which suggests that perhaps they're not thinking about or don't quite understand really that there are Good and Bad ways to utilise mechanics to improve player engagement, entertainment and interest; because over-saturation especially within systems that players do no appreciate them, they will always see them for what they are ... a deliberate limitation to their progress.

It's like coming across a brick wall in an assault course, one is a challenge; and they can be used to provide more creative means of getting through the course; but when an obstacle is just another wall of varying height they quickly become tedious and annoying.
  • thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yeah, bring back the old missions... I want to run my mirrors!!!