test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill Point Update

Comments

• smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If PWE want players logged in for longer, then Cryptic need to give us reasons to stay logged in. Rudely sllapping a gigantic XP grind onto the game with so little actualy grindable content is a surefire way to achieve the opposite. People are already abandonding alts and soon it will be accounts altogether.

Look at all the opportunities you wasted. How many manhours went into making the Kobali battlezone? It is a beautiful map and has some great potential, but exactly what to you expect a player to do there after they finish the quest chain? Rewards are absolutely pathetic and you would be completely wasting your time there instead of being in more profitable locations like Dyson ground. As a result the place is dead aside from the few people running their mission chain. In a better, Geko-free, alternate STO dimension, Kobali would be an interesting ground BZ with instance-wide missions that require large groups of people, take about half an hour but reward good XP and dilithium. The place would be popular, appreciated, and a good use of the many hours and assets that went into building it.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    You mean, they need us to be more engaged and want to retain current customers longer, so to do so they fundamentally shifted gameplay away from what was working, reintroduced a series of mechanics that were removed formerly because they didn't work, punished prior engagement by nerfing established players' achievements, turning established players' virtual assets into non-considerations on the question of staying or leaving, and overall made it pointless to stick around or treat STO as anything other than a casual game, driving current players into checking out competitors' offerings and being wary of future PWE product?

Now I'm not a fancy IT developer or MMO marketer, but it sounds to me like it might not have worked quite as well as they had planned?

Quite as well? I can rephrase to utter fail.

This specialization nerf is a solid nail to the coffin. My feeling is they rushed to make it a monetized facebook/phone app with all the new things replacing the old alienating and <redacted> the playerbase, then the constant nerfing since LOR did not help almost to the point of attacking vetarans. The additional part was making the game casual player unfriendly including alts.

The biggest personal thing messed up was calling the playerbase cheaters and exploiters if they did not play the Cryptic/Dev way and also removing Genesis instead of improving it. New exploration sectors made from a updated Genesis would have helped in getting resources, helping a fleet holding, and introduce random Iconian alerts or something similiar.

Cryptic choose to take the quick money grab way and now it's biting them in the <redacted>

Anyway, I just logged in. The DOFF specialization experience and skill point is the same. Nerf. NPC kills is the same. Queues are dead.

I guess I only logged in made some quick engineering upgrades and test five of them on a console. Then I logged off.

Way to go Cryptic!
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Winter Event is coming. It'll artificially bump up numbers and Cryptic will take that as a sign that things are doing ok, at least until the event ends and the place is like a ghost town again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The grind wouldn't be so bad if they gave us interesting content to grind with. As it is now all replay missions give out a paltry 2030 XP, so if you were to run through every replayable mission, all 103 of them, you would gain a paltry 1 and a half spec points at level 60!

The recent XP rebalance did not take into account critter XP, so even Argala requires twice as many runs through as before. I sit here on one of my toons at level 58, I have one story mission to do at this level and another at level 59, but in order to do them and reach fleet admiral I have to gain over 300K XP.

The queued events give far lower XP, STFs, even on advanced give around 1200 as well as TRIBBLE rewards, this is why the queues are dead and the only crowd you'll see anywhere is around Argala.

Devs why don't you want us to play all your content? And as for levelling alts, not a chance. I already got 6 to level 60 before the XP nerf, but I am only taking 3 of them through the spec points, the others will be left to languish in Club 47.

So that's 9 Alts that I won't be spending any money on. At least Delta Rising did one thing for me, it paid for my dental treatment this morning so thanks for that Cryptic!

Yes, Delta Rising saving me also lots of money. Went from 14 to 5 alts (all fed fed/rom tac's).

js26568 wrote: »
    The Winter Event is coming. It'll artificially bump up numbers and Cryptic will take that as a sign that things are doing ok, at least until the event ends and the place is like a ghost town again.

Game will look like risa is now !!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If PWE want players logged in for longer, then Cryptic need to give us reasons to stay logged in. Rudely sllapping a gigantic XP grind onto the game with so little actualy grindable content is a surefire way to achieve the opposite. People are already abandonding alts and soon it will be accounts altogether.

So very true!

The funny thing is, pre DR when I technically had less to do, I would log on for much longer times. Back then, I would log on and just do whatever felt fun for me that day. I would pop open the ques and run whatever appealed to me that day. I didn't do it to grind, I did it because it was fun. Now that fun is gone because they drove people out of the ques. I would log on and run my Alts and enjoy progressing them knowing that I would soon get them up to par for end game. Now that's gone because end game is such a ridiculously expensive grind that I have to put everything I have into 1 character and let the rest go neglected. So now, with no ques to run and alts being a waste of time I just log on, run my crafting projects, refine my dilitihium, que up Rep projects if needed and log off. I used to play 3 hours in a clip, now I play 30 minutes.
    Amazing, they are all off work this week whilst their business is collapsing around them, they'll be back next week and it'll be like, "oh, where did everybody go? We never saw that coming, if only they'd said something". It'd be funny as hell if we didn't care so much about this game.

That's the funny part. A simple post of one sentence telling us they understand this and they will look at it as soon as they can would have really gone a long way. It's funny how little some of us are really asking here yet it's still just too much effort for them.

It explains the sad state this game is in.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Look at all the opportunities you wasted. How many manhours went into making the Kobali battlezone? It is a beautiful map and has some great potential, but exactly what to you expect a player to do there after they finish the quest chain? Rewards are absolutely pathetic and you would be completely wasting your time there instead of being in more profitable locations like Dyson ground. As a result the place is dead aside from the few people running their mission chain...

There is a totally simple solution for that:
    A daily that need x completed "missions" on kobali prime that will reward a fat bunch of XP AND a Ancient Power Cell as reward.

js26568 wrote: »

For me it will go up from 0-2 minutes online per day to 5-7 minutes online per day (the time for one run).
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    valenn1 wrote: »
    There is a totally simple solution for that:
    A daily that need x completed "missions" on kobali prime that will reward a fat bunch of XP AND a Ancient Power Cell as reward.

Hell with that. You couldn't PAY me to do kobali prime daily.

As for the "all we need is a word from the devs" -- the problem is what the devs say. Not how frequently they say it. That word from the devs isn't going to be "Oh, yes, we're going go change that" -- it's going to be "That is WAI." or "we don't care" or "nerfs incoming."

The problem with "we just need a word" is that all it does is appease an upset playerbase. It doesn't change anything. Then it becomes solely used to calm people down, with no meaning behind it (essentially lip service to shut people up) and people get MORE upset because it's unfulfilled promises or outright lies or PR propoganda. Whatever you want to call it.

Just having the devs be more vocal has turned out to illustrate how poorly they "get" this game and just how disassociated they are from reality at times. That doesn't calm people down. That makes them leave in droves.

So be careful what you wish for on that front.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If there were rewards comparable to the Voth battlezone in Kobali Prime, I would return. But I fully acknowledge that I may be in the minority for having taken such a liking to fighting there. I haven't been back, though, because the effort/reward ratio is better in some other locations. I would like a reason to return, though.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wouldn't do it for the dilithium. The entire thing pisses me off. The NPCs cheat. The mechanics are lame and weak. It's essentially no-hits (magic! Your damage does nothing! WoooOOOooOO!!) and cheesy spawn rates and spawn (presto! 5 people spawn directly behind you, despite there being NOTHING there 2 seconds ago!), coupled with ridiculous resistance ratings that make it a slog fest of spamming the fire button and getting 3 damage per tic...

It's asinine. It's insulting. It pisses me off and I will never play it. After the first and then second characters to suffer through that "storyline" all my remaining will skip it entirely.

To quote a competing franchise, "No reward is worth this!"
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Siriusly, people, why are you bickering over a possible nerf in the skill points? Most of us players are not power-levelers, we are here to enjoy the game. And if it takes a few days or even two weeks longer to level a character up to Level 60, so what?!

As for the specialization points, those are just a bonus for me. Eventually, I will have filled those all, butt I won't rush it at all. So far, I have filled Intelligence with all 30 points (and I couldn't even play the past few days at all) and I'm now leveling Pilot up before I will eventually - prully after a few weeks - go to level Commando.

I do have other toons, and actually, those are almost Level 60 now just with a few duff assignments per day. I only do 20 hour ones with them and turn them in once a day. I don't even bother doing reputation or crafting or anything else. Once they are Level 60, I might run a few Elites with them, maybe not. I was mainly leveling them to test the faction-specific T6 ships and their treats.

~ Meow
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
    edited November 2014
    Siriusly, people, why are you bickering over a possible nerf in the skill points? Most of us players are not power-levelers, we are here to enjoy the game. And if it takes a few days or even two weeks longer to level a character up to Level 60, so what?!

~ Meow

Because we can voice our opinions and thoughts. I'm not a power leveler and although some people are not. Once someone gets to level 60. They hit a brick wall do to the nerfing TRIBBLE Cryptic created and this rework everything for monetizing while removing exploration. Cryptic is not going tell me or indirectly tell me how to play.

If the requirements are 3x and Cryptic was so worried about power leveling. Bonus everything by a factor of 2x and increase things 6x for elite because that's how much work is needed.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014

1. Some of us don't like having to spend 2 weeks to gain a single skill point. There isn't enough content in the game to make this fun, it turns STO into even more of a grind then it already is.

2. The very first post in this thread is the games Lead Content Designer flat out lying about the update. He tells us it won't change the rate we gain XP which is totally not true. If you notice, that initial post is the only post from any dev in this entire 95+ page thread. I don't think it's unusual for people to be upset.

3. Some of use like to play more then 1 character. This incredible grind means that we are now relegated to playing 1 character as much as we can in order to get them to advance, effectively killing alts and reducing the variety the game offers.

4. You say that 'most of us players aren't power levelers,' that's the exact reason we don't like it. Those of us that don't want to grind for 5 hours a day will have our advancement reduced to next to nothing.

If you disagree, fine. But you're in the minority, most people don't enjoy having their progress and rewards reduced when it was already slow to begin with.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • varekraithvarekraith Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited November 2014

As for the specialization points, those are just a bonus for me. Eventually, I will have filled those all, butt I won't rush it at all. So far, I have filled Intelligence with all 30 points (and I couldn't even play the past few days at all) and I'm now leveling Pilot up before I will eventually - prully after a few weeks - go to level Commando.

I do have other toons, and actually, those are almost Level 60 now just with a few duff assignments per day. I only do 20 hour ones with them and turn them in once a day. I don't even bother doing reputation or crafting or anything else. Once they are Level 60, I might run a few Elites with them, maybe not. I was mainly leveling them to test the faction-specific T6 ships and their treats.

~ Meow

By changing xp the way they have, they are encouraging power leveling. Since it's the only frikkin' way to actually level now. Casuals have no hope in advancing in the specialization system by more than a few points.
  • narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would love to say this has been the most successful expansion ever!!

I mean I have not laughed this hard in ages!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

:P :DTruly amusing!!! mmmmmmmm!! :D :P
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
    edited November 2014
    narrheehaw wrote: »
    I would love to say this has been the most successful expansion ever!!

I mean I have not laughed this hard in ages!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

:P :DTruly amusing!!! mmmmmmmm!! :D :P

It was the most successful expansion EVER.

So to make the best expansion ever, call players cheaters and exploiters, stealth nerf doff missions by everything else higher three times but specifically missions and at the same time leave everything one time(the same).

On top of it, ignore forum response because players seem to do better testing the QA.

Awesome! Way to go.
  • generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1. Some of us don't like having to spend 2 weeks to gain a single skill point. There isn't enough content in the game to make this fun, it turns STO into even more of a grind then it already is.

2. The very first post in this thread is the games Lead Content Designer flat out lying about the update. He tells us it won't change the rate we gain XP which is totally not true. If you notice, that initial post is the only post from any dev in this entire 95+ page thread. I don't think it's unusual for people to be upset.

3. Some of use like to play more then 1 character. This incredible grind means that we are now relegated to playing 1 character as much as we can in order to get them to advance, effectively killing alts and reducing the variety the game offers.

4. You say that 'most of us players aren't power levelers,' that's the exact reason we don't like it. Those of us that don't want to grind for 5 hours a day will have our advancement reduced to next to nothing.

If you disagree, fine. But you're in the minority, most people don't enjoy having their progress and rewards reduced when it was already slow to begin with.

Agree...entirely
  • aelogriaaelogria Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I agree fully. Not to mention people coming back and wanting to experience content and finding themselves unable to because they are level banded and tied to a horrible XP grind. It is not fun or encourages me to continue to spend time and money in this game.

@Desdecardo since 2008.
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How I view this thread

Uhura on earpiece: "I'm picking up something indistinct... now there are responses and it's getting louder."
    Spock: "I believe that's the sound of the other foot dropping."
  • vipercgvipercg Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gotta vote with your $$$.

#boycott zen
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    I have gained half a level today just by duffing every now and then ... on my main character. If I had done some Argala's or STF's, I would probably have gained a full level. One level a day is not bad actually, considering you can spend "only" 30 points in Intelligence (equals one month of leveling) and other 30 in Pilot and Commando together (which is another month).

A "real" Starfleet officer life would surely take a lot longer. You can get from Cadet to Vice Admiral in about a week of gameplay if you're quick, including duffing and Borg Red Alerts and some of the AQ patrols. After that, it takes probably two more weeks to Fleet Admiral. And after that, just two months until you've spent every single spec point into your spec menu. Total, that is about 3 months from zero to full. I think that's not too bad. The game is almost 5 years old now. I've been playing since the beginning, and leveling was even faster earlier on between Season 2 and 9, while it took longer before hitting Season 2, I think.

I won't let my play style be influenced by skill point changes. I will keep leveling the same way I leveled in the past, and even though it takes a bit longer as it used to take, I can still do about a level each day past Level 60.

Don't get me wrong, I do not like lies, but I think it's not a lie. I think that the critter-XP-rewarding is still a bit bugged and needs some tinkering. Once that is done, I think everything should become a lot better. Also, you saw in the Tribble patchnotes that they have doubled the XP rewards for DQ patrol missions. That is 2730 XP even more than now, each time you complete an Argala for example.

If you do let's say 5 Argala's a day (I don't, but assuming you do), it's a "passive" XP boost of around 14K'ish XP. If the critters will receive an overhaul, and I hope they will, then it could be let's say 40 to 50 purrcent more XP each run, like a battleship giving 500 instead of 350 XP, it could rack up very nicely, so you could possible get around 40K XP more for 5 Argala runs (each one taking about 5 to 6 minutes), so you could get a nice sum of XP in half an hour to 45 minutes of gameplay.

And: Since the loot has been fixed on lower tier enemies (cruisers etc), you also get some free cash to turn in at the vendor. Sometimes you even get blue MK XII antiproton, disruptor or phaser consoles that still sell for 80-120K each.

~ Meow
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *snip*

You love mindless Asian Grindfests, good for you. The rest of us don't. Learn to cope.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    You love mindless Asian Grindfests, good for you. The rest of us don't. Learn to cope.

Good for me I did most of it earlier. I only have 1 single spec point left in Intel (I already have Pilot fully done); then I'll get 2x value on Predictive Algorithms. The other one (Soldier?) I don't care about at all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • pewpewphazorspewpewphazors Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Good for me I did most of it earlier. I only have 1 single spec point left in Intel (I already have Pilot fully done); then I'll get 2x value on Predictive Algorithms. The other one (Soldier?) I don't care about at all.

As someone who has completed the commando tree and got the space trait from it, I'll just say that it's near useless. You're not missing much if you don't do ground stuff.

Also, I sent you a link to try and help out your vesta build a few days ago and you never seemed to see it. Sadface.
  • narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And this is why this Expansion is so successful!

See? even if the life is sucked out of a few.

:D :P The rest get that life right back, and thus, everything rounds out about the same. :P :D
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
    edited November 2014
    Hmmm. You like the mindless grind fest.

Congratulations! This is the Best Superb Most Excellent Expansion Ever!

If they going make it a grind, make it interesting for non-essential but good gimmick weapons or consoles. Don't nerf everybody and their <redacted>. I wouldn't mind to do things like example customize my shuttles or even customize my ship.

Anyway, Just because we don't play DR content they especially nerfed specialization experience gains.
    I have gained half a level today just by duffing every now and then ... on my main character. If I had done some Argala's or STF's, I would probably have gained a full level. One level a day is not bad actually, considering you can spend "only" 30 points in Intelligence (equals one month of leveling) and other 30 in Pilot and Commando together (which is another month).

A "real" Starfleet officer life would surely take a lot longer. You can get from Cadet to Vice Admiral in about a week of gameplay if you're quick, including duffing and Borg Red Alerts and some of the AQ patrols. After that, it takes probably two more weeks to Fleet Admiral. And after that, just two months until you've spent every single spec point into your spec menu. Total, that is about 3 months from zero to full. I think that's not too bad. The game is almost 5 years old now. I've been playing since the beginning, and leveling was even faster earlier on between Season 2 and 9, while it took longer before hitting Season 2, I think.

I won't let my play style be influenced by skill point changes. I will keep leveling the same way I leveled in the past, and even though it takes a bit longer as it used to take, I can still do about a level each day past Level 60.

Don't get me wrong, I do not like lies, but I think it's not a lie. I think that the critter-XP-rewarding is still a bit bugged and needs some tinkering. Once that is done, I think everything should become a lot better. Also, you saw in the Tribble patchnotes that they have doubled the XP rewards for DQ patrol missions. That is 2730 XP even more than now, each time you complete an Argala for example.

If you do let's say 5 Argala's a day (I don't, but assuming you do), it's a "passive" XP boost of around 14K'ish XP. If the critters will receive an overhaul, and I hope they will, then it could be let's say 40 to 50 purrcent more XP each run, like a battleship giving 500 instead of 350 XP, it could rack up very nicely, so you could possible get around 40K XP more for 5 Argala runs (each one taking about 5 to 6 minutes), so you could get a nice sum of XP in half an hour to 45 minutes of gameplay.

And: Since the loot has been fixed on lower tier enemies (cruisers etc), you also get some free cash to turn in at the vendor. Sometimes you even get blue MK XII antiproton, disruptor or phaser consoles that still sell for 80-120K each.

~ Meow
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    when is the winter thing coming out anyway? i guess this is the new STO ... :(
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As someone who has completed the commando tree and got the space trait from it, I'll just say that it's near useless. You're not missing much if you don't do ground stuff.

Also, I sent you a link to try and help out your vesta build a few days ago and you never seemed to see it. Sadface.

Hmm, no, I didn't see it. :( Would have remembered. I *love* my Vesta! :) Can you link me to it again, please?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    <deleted> nm found what i was looking for,gla
    eywdK7c.jpg