test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground combat expansion - pistols, melee weapons, ballistic shields

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
Fairly recently, quite a few weapons were intoduced that completely bypass shields in ground combat maps, namely the TR-116 and the ancient shotgun introduced with the last mirror event. This leads to the question of how mobs and players alike will increase their defenses against these types of weapons other than cranking up some resistance values.

Since forever, the game offers two basic types of ground weapons, rifles and pistols. The latter, however, has never had any kind of advantage over the first and is basically completely superflous.

Also, in terms of melee weapons the available items in-game are very limited. Lirpas and Bat'leth's, a nausicaan sword and some "made-up" machete thing that doesn't even have a canon reference, that's it.

By this point, I personally would really like to see some kind of overhaul for somemechanics involved in ground combat. For instance:

Pistols. - make them useful. Pistols currently have a shorter range and lower damage output than rifles, other than that they are basically the same. Why? How about we profit from the "one-handed" and "two-handed" properties of those weapons and allow the dual-wielding of pistols (freely combine two pistols of different damage types after "learning" the trait) or the wielding of a pistol and a one-handed melee weapon?

Melee weapons. - increase the variety of those, as close to canon as possible. It doesn't make much sense that Starfleet would issue Lirpas or other bladed weapons to their personnel. But some kind of Stun baton as seen in ENT with different mods would be a lore friendly melee equipment for Starfleet. Klingons have a wide arsenal of bladed weapons available, including spears, daggers, swords, halberds - let us have a subclass/mastery of swordmaster playing with all these. The Jem'Hadar polearms are currently only usable by NPCs. Romulan swords, though not widely used in canon, would have some form of justification as well.

Ballistic defenses. - Shotguns, TR-116's, melee weapons - introduce some kind of ballistic defense. There is a canon reference for it: In Star Trek V we witness a Starfleet security detail utilizing foldable ballistic shields while assaulting the projectile-weapon using militia on Nimbus III. Make lore-firendly ballistic and riot shields available to both factions, combine it with the dual-wielding trait while holding a pistol, add a shield bash and make poeple wielding shields be able to protect their comrades behind them at the cost of decreased mobility and a permanent exposure to flanking attacks ( See them here).

Those are only some quick suggestions. Feel free to voice your opinion and add other suggestions to the mix :)
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We just talking about weapons? or ground mechanics as a whole?

I've tried to get into ground, and in fact i've made a dedicated ground toon with 100k skill points in ground and i have another melee toon on the way. One thing thats been bothering me about ground is how clunky it seems. Like compare it to WoW ground combat, like rogues or warriors. How seamless a rogue or warriors melee attacks feel. Or when they gave almost every ranged the ability to cast on the move...how seamless you could cast while moving and even jumping. That kind of quality is something that they are missing in ground. Like try walking up to an NPC mob and rifle butting it. Yah the attack is useless but just go and try it. Sometimes if you are unlucky you will miss because the NPC backstepped. When their method of dodge is a simple backstep that you can fall for because rifle butt momentarily roots you that just feels flimsy to me.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    We just talking about weapons? or ground mechanics as a whole?

I've tried to get into ground, and in fact i've made a dedicated ground toon with 100k skill points in ground and i have another melee toon on the way. One thing thats been bothering me about ground is how clunky it seems. Like compare it to WoW ground combat, like rogues or warriors. How seamless a rogue or warriors melee attacks feel. Or when they gave almost every ranged the ability to cast on the move...how seamless you could cast while moving and even jumping. That kind of quality is something that they are missing in ground. Like try walking up to an NPC mob and rifle butting it. Yah the attack is useless but just go and try it. Sometimes if you are unlucky you will miss because the NPC backstepped. When their method of dodge is a simple backstep that you can fall for because rifle butt momentarily roots you that just feels flimsy to me.

That's true, but you need to be realistic here. In STO ground combat is floaty, clumsy and unresponsive. In Neverwinter, while they use the same engine, it's much better but it's still very floaty. Also don't compare this game to a game which rakes in 1 billion USD per year. It's not fair.

Tho STO could ask for help from NW if they can't improve ground. NW also has new shiny action combat instead of old-school tab-target combat.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • just123mejust123me Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Melee weapons shouldn't be starfleet issued weapons anyway, they are mostly ancient tournament weapons of some sort, maybe for tanking a strong stationary mob in an stf. Pistols should be what they always were, backup weapons. If they really wanna make pistols competitive they need to reduce the rifle long range accuracy allowing the enemy to get closer and boost pistol dps at ranges under 10 meters dramatically or implement a reloading animation for rifles after several shots, so quickly switching to pistol becomes a viable choice.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bernatk wrote: »
    That's true, but you need to be realistic here. In STO ground combat is floaty, clumsy and unresponsive. In Neverwinter, while they use the same engine, it's much better but it's still very floaty. Also don't compare this game to a game which rakes in 1 billion USD per year. It's not fair.

Tho STO could ask for help from NW if they can't improve ground. NW also has new shiny action combat instead of old-school tab-target combat.

In most cases the excuse of compare an older refined game to a newer failing game would not be fair. But you can make some equal comparisons. What was ground combat like in WoW, STO, and SWTOR all at launch +6 months? launch +1year? launch +1.5 years? launch +time until STO and SWTOR made the decision to go F2P? I hit 60 on my warrior and then later my rogue around the time top guilds were farming BWL. So i started probably started 4-6 months prior to that. Ground combat in WoW back then was already pretty seamless. I remember hearing friends talk about how WoW had a bumpy launch...like one example that i remember was warlocks had leather armor. But by the time i started playing all the locks had cloth armor.

So there were some major changes there, i'm guessing combat had some of its own. Or is there someone here that was present at WoW release able to say if melee combat was also pretty much unchanged since launch? But what kind of changes did STO and SWTOR get in the same timeframe? You know...before anyone ever knew that their games were going to go F2P. About 16 months after launch STO got shooter mode? and SWTOR got nothing i think?
  • biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly I don't think you fully understand what you're talking about. Shotguns can put out insane damage at close range, pistols can put up extreme damage at mid range, and rifles can put out high damage at long range. As someone that plays a lot of ground I appreciate all these weapons in the right circumstances, the fact that you write off pistols entirely makes me skeptical.

That said ground combat is a bit clunky but pistols work, in some cases much better than rifles. On one map I can pull the same DPS with a very rare tier 11 pistol weapon as I can with my tier 14 elite critdx4 split beam. All a matter of where and when tbh. I'm always skeptical of people that write off pistols.

Basically pistols are great where shotguns fail, when you're with a strong team shotguns fail because your team will be dropping targets before you can get in their faces. Also mobility=time, sometimes you just don't have the time to run to every nook with a shotgun/pulsewave.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pistols actually have a higher damage output than most other weapons in the game, aside from pulsewaves. This comes at the cost of range. On ground it's kind of sad I constantly out-dps other folks while using a stun pistol. :P

Some more love for pistols would be nice. Getting kinda bored with sets using rifles.
  • biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Pistols actually have a higher damage output than most other weapons in the game, aside from pulsewaves. This comes at the cost of range. On ground it's kind of sad I constantly out-dps other folks while using a stun pistol. :P

Some more love for pistols would be nice. Getting kinda bored with sets using rifles.

^^^See this guy knows what he's talking about, the lack of options for pistols in sets is also a very legitimate gripe.

Most people that complain about pistols have never even used them, they see the countless guides praising split beams and make assumptions. Split beam is a great all around weapon for casual ground no doubt, but that doesn't make it the end all be all.
  • vladdievladdie Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My elite fleet stun pistol is actually one of the hardest hitting weapons in my arsenal. I use it with the elite fleet split beam and NPCs melt.

Pistols could use some expansion, but many of the ones we have are great. Also, we can't bring up a discussion that mentions the TR-116B without asking for a visual remake!
    Barihawk.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I personally love wide beams and full auto rifles. The coolest thing with wide beams is that it has a short firing cycle so I never find myself waiting for the attack animation to finish.

I also use swords, nanos, and pulsewaves often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg