test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help in changing to a dps build

2»

Comments

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Maybe it's me, but I'm not impressed with 82K. Not that I'm jealous, but I'd like to see it's own numbers.
  • misthollowmisthollow Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i also have a Rom captain I am building up slowly and she has the faeht intel warbird still working on her gotta learn how to play that, i figure by the time I get my fed toon done the way I am happy with then I can work on my Rom as I get bored easily and have to have multiple things I work on. i may not be putting out the dps like I am wanting but I have noticed a big difference when playing as I am not dying near as much and by going through all the suggestions and updating my build I am learning more about how to play.
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the tip Edalgo! :)
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Maybe it's me, but I'm not impressed with 82K. Not that I'm jealous, but I'd like to see it's own numbers.

It would be north of 40k pre-debuffs, possibly north of 50k.
    edited November 2014
    I still need to get the hydrodynamics compensator and the KCB with the assimilated console but with what I have gotten I am now doing around 6,000 dps which is before I put the Tactical Vulnerability locator [+AP] on there

I will link my new build in the academy and post tomorrow as I am going to try and get the compensator tonight then off to work for me.

thanks to everybody for their help I have taken a little from here and a little from my fleet mates and a little from learning more about playing and adjusted here and there.

I can't wait to show you. I am not quite doing 10K yet but I am now triple what I was doing
    edited November 2014
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=misthollow1972_0

Ok, here it is. I still have a whole lot more tweeking but this is what I have so far

I do plan to change out the engines with the Rom rep and I plan to get the Kinetic Cutting Beam and assimilated console

Next on my list is getting the hydrodynamics console that I didn't get last night but one more run in the space bz should get it for me today.

I chose to go with beams and cannons since I like to do a lot of frontal assults I get more dps out of cannons and I may put all cannons on the front and leave beams on the back as when I am doing a frontal assault I end up getting too close and have to turn and get some distance so this way my beams are still attacking while I get into position for another run on the frontal

As for the traits that I am missing Inspirational leader, fleet tactician and Biotech patch it will be awhile before I can afford those however the bio-molecular shield generator I should have that in a couple week as soon as I get my 8472 rep to T5 and it is at 67,000 so not far
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    2 DHCs, 4 Beam Arrays, 1 Omni-Directional Array?

Wha? If you like shooting forward, then go 4 DHCs, 2 turrets, 1 Omni-Direction Array (assuming you want to keep the array) so that your Cannon Scatter Volley affects all weapons.

Or better yet, go 4 DBBs fore, 1 KCB aft, 2 Omni-Directional Array aft (1 from set, 1 from crafting).

The point there is so your Cannon or Beam abilities are affecting (almost?) all your weapons.
    edited November 2014
    I am going to take the impulse impulse capacitance cell off and put my zero point back on I realize I definitely don't need the the extra flight speed and I also went with all 4 cannons on the front for more dps when I do a frontal assault.

Ok after putting all cannons on the front and the beams on the back with the rest of the build like it is in my link I just did infected conduit normal and the parser shows: drum roll please!!!!

******** 7,808 ******
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Now try that with either 4 Dual Beam banks up front or all beam arrays.

Yeah go with the 4 dual beam banks for forward... should also consider the cutting beam and assimilated console... then save up for a crafted 360.
    edited November 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Yeah go with the 4 dual beam banks for forward... should also consider the cutting beam and assimilated console... then save up for a crafted 360.

I am working on getting the cutting beam and assimilated now will probably farm the marks for that this weekend during the bonus marks weekend

edalgo and tigeraries I will try the dual beam banks

edalgo and darkjeff I am getting better and with the new way I have my loadout set I am able to keep my skills going easier which is helping so yes I am learning how to play as well :):)
    edited November 2014
    Woo Hoo!!!

I put 4 dual beam bank on ran condit normal parser now shows 9,106

:):)
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    misthollow wrote: »

I didn't see if you were looking for PvE, PvP or a setup for both, but I wanted to say that cycling those EPTx abilities, especially that EPTW3, is going to help. I only noticed the one EPTx ability. Have you considered using ET1, EPTS2, EPTW3 in your LCDR Engineering bridge officer station? If you have the room for at least 2 purple/ very rare (I prefer 3 but many others use 2) damage control engineer DOFFs in your active duty space roster, using the ones that reduce cooldowns on EPTx abilities, you could possibly get that EPTW3 up more often and keep weapon power boosted more often. All that means is possibly more DPS. I realize the EPTS2 won't replenish shields like RSP will, but it's damage resistance and a heal as often as every 30 seconds, as well as helping to get EPTW3 to be available to activate more often, could be worth using it instead.
    edited November 2014
    ryakidrys wrote: »
    I didn't see if you were looking for PvE, PvP or a setup for both, but I wanted to say that cycling those EPTx abilities, especially that EPTW3, is going to help. I only noticed the one EPTx ability. Have you considered using ET1, EPTS2, EPTW3 in your LCDR Engineering bridge officer station? If you have the room for at least 2 purple/ very rare (I prefer 3 but many others use 2) damage control engineer DOFFs in your active duty space roster, using the ones that reduce cooldowns on EPTx abilities, you could possibly get that EPTW3 up more often and keep weapon power boosted more often. All that means is possibly more DPS. I realize the EPTS2 won't replenish shields like RSP will, but it's damage resistance and a heal as often as every 30 seconds, as well as helping to get EPTW3 to be available to activate more often, could be worth using it instead.

I am willing to try it and see if it changes, I am still learning the game even though I started playing 3 months before f2p. My idea was mashing buttons and hope I stay alive and that was actually working for me until they did the advanced cues where now you have to have some dps to do, so here I am making a dps toon and actually learning how to play it

This toon is my very first toon I created and so she has an abundance of points to where I could probably change my boff's from here to eternity and still be fine, so I will see what this change does.

I usually only pve as I have never really gotten into the pvp I did a few duals when I played Champions with my husband and supergroup, have never tried it in sto and more than likely won't try unless some of my fleet mates talk me into it. I usually go about doing my own thing

I will keep ya'll posted whenever I update my build and what the parser shows
    edited November 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Now if you put the KCB and another Omni AP array in the rear you'll have even more forward firepower.

The 2nd Omni has to be crafted not the mission reward you already have.

What do I have to do to craft one? I am leveling my R&D in fact I think my beams is on level 9 but I don't know anything about crafting other than leveling
  • ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    misthollow wrote: »
    I am willing to try it and see if it changes, I am still learning the game even though I started playing 3 months before f2p. My idea was mashing buttons and hope I stay alive and that was actually working for me until they did the advanced cues where now you have to have some dps to do, so here I am making a dps toon and actually learning how to play it

This toon is my very first toon I created and so she has an abundance of points to where I could probably change my boff's from here to eternity and still be fine, so I will see what this change does.

I usually only pve as I have never really gotten into the pvp I did a few duals when I played Champions with my husband and supergroup, have never tried it in sto and more than likely won't try unless some of my fleet mates talk me into it. I usually go about doing my own thing

I will keep ya'll posted whenever I update my build and what the parser shows

I started just after STO went F2P. I remember going into STFs and doing so horrible that I couldn't take out 2 probes in khitomer elite. I bet I wasn't even able to manage 1k DPS. I ran inbetween the probes in cure elite with BFAW going off and not taking hits form the cube.
    We all start somewhere and hopefully get better. I had alot to learn. I tend to be more tanky in build suggestions, but that's not always bad. Staying engaged longer can mean more DPS in some builds. So, I hope that helps you out.
    edited December 2014
    thanks everybody for the help and suggestions. I have not done any more with her due to winter event and trying to get my Undine rep to T5.

Right now she is doing between 8 & 10 K dps which is quadruple what she was doing to again thank you very, very much for all the help.

I am hoping that everything I learn will let me be able to do my own builds and I am going to play around with the power sets and rep gear as I won't want all my toons to have antiproton weapons.
  • ozz5ozz5 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Gear-wise, drop the torpedo and go with 7 beams + Kinetic Cutting Beam (Omega reputation) as someone already suggested. Make sure to pick up the Assimilated console, which is also from the Omega reputation. Neither it nor the KCB requires BNPs.

Choose either Plasma or Antiproton weapons.

You already have the Zero-Point console, it has a +Plasma bonus if you use the Experimental RomPlas Array. That array drains 0 Weapon Power, so unless you can keep 125 Weapon Power through your Fire At Wills already, it'll likely increase overall damage. The rest of the slots you want [CrtD]x3 Plasma arrays. (Personally, I just use RomPlas [CrtD]x2 because I don't like my ship firing different color beams. :P ) With Plasma weapons, you also pick up the Fleet Science consoles from a Fleet Embassy, which has +Plas mods, effectively turning your Science console slots into mini-Tactical slots.

I would actually recommend using Antiproton weapons though. They go well with Attack Pattern Alpha, plus you already have the Obelisk core. Pick up the Omni-Directional Array (the quest reward, not the crafted ones) that gives a set bonus with that core, the KCB, and 5 AP beam arrays. Again you want [CrtD]x3, but you can pick up free ones from Fluid Dynamics to start you off.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with Disruptors, either. Regardless, you're going to want Fleet Tactical Vulnerability Locators that boost the appropriate energy type.

In the very long run (ie. Expensive), you're going to want the Plasmonic Leech (Lockbox console, many millions of EC), as well as Bioneural Infusion Circuits (200 Lobi) and Tachyokinetic Converter (200 Lobi). The Bounty Hunter's Friend (200 Lobi) is likely to be of assistance, as well. With the Zero Point, Assimilated, and three Vulnerability Locators, that accounts for all 9 console slots.

For your Deflector/Engines/Shields, I would recommend Nukara/Romulan/Nukara.

Now, regardless of gear, the key to the strength of any build is actually your BOff ability layout. For a cheap build without any Duty Officers, we can go Dragon:

Lt Tac: FAW1 / FAW2
    Ens Tac: TT1

Cdr Eng: EPtS1/RSP1/EPtW3/Aux2SIF3
    Lt Eng: EPtS1/EPtW2

LCdr Sci: TSS1/HE2/GW1

Having two copies of EPtS lets us have 100% uptime on them. Having a pair of EPtW with that lets us keep both at 100% uptime, after a 15s delay. This keeps your shields regenerating, and your weapon power up and damage boosted. That is what makes it a Dragon build.

Aux2SIF3 is an excellent heal with a 15s cooldown that also increases your damage resistance - start using it the moment your hull drops to 99%, and keep on firing it when it's off cooldown. A2SIF3 should keep your hull topped up, but if it drops you fire off HE2.

The key is to keep shields up, it's rare for a cruiser to get destroyed through bleed-through, and a Resilient shield (like the Nukara) only has a 5% bleed-through. For shields, use TSS1 when your shields start to falter, and RSP1 should bring shields back up if they're on the brink. Use Tac Team 1 to redistribute when one facing starts going down.

Offensively, just alternate between FAW2 and FAW1 every 20s.

Now the thing is, because the ship only has 3 Tactical stations, it's very limited in how much damage it can do. Which is why someone suggested doing an Aux2Batt build with it, since that will effectively double your tactical stations. This requires two to three Technician DOffs - I recommend getting three free purples from the Support B'Tran Colonization Efforts assignment. The way it works is that using Auxiliary to Battery causes the Technician DOffs to reduce the cooldown on all abilities.

Lt Tac: FAW1 / APB1
    Ens Tac: TT1

Cdr Eng: EPtS1/Aux2Batt1/EPtW3/DEM3
    Lt Eng: ET1/Aux2Batt1

LCdr Sci: ?/?/?

With 3 Purple Technician DOffs, if you fire A2B every time it's available, it should put everything on minimal cooldown. This lets you keep TT1 going (so ~2/3rds of the time your shields are automatically redistributing), as well as EPtS1 and EPtW3.

You get Fire At Will 1 every 20s, and hold off on using APB1 until FAW1 is ready, so you're firing both at once. Likewise, hold off on using DEM3 unless you can use it with FAW/APB. If you're having trouble with survival, RSP3 instead of DEM3 will make you practically indestructible, especially if you take the DOff that extends the duration of RSP.

Engineering Team and Science Team are going to be your primary sources of healing, having low cooldowns and not scaling to Aux. Hazard Emitters with low Aux will kind of suck, but you need it anyway to clear debuffs. Most Science abilities scale with Aux, and I'm not familiar enough of them to recommend which to take for your 3rd ability, or at what rank.

I'm actually not familiar with Aux2Batt ships, so someone else will probably have better advice later, but hopefully this gives you some ideas of where to start.

very interesting