test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Reason For The Current State Of The Game And Why They Don't Fix It

2»

Comments

• lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm a minnow as well if you consider my LTS years ago and that I've dropped maybe $4-500 on the game since that intital purchase as "small-time". Simply writing that astounds me and, honestly, depresses me with the current state of affairs. Point is, I'm not considered a whale in today's world.

What I am, however, is a 30+ year veteran gamer because it's something I very much enjoy and was a world I was and am happy to be associated with. With that said, there is an often-missed aspect to whales both in nature and in the gaming world.

They both feed off of much smaller things. In nature, those tiny krill, plankton and fish feed those monstrous beats of beauty. In the online world, whales feed on those unable to match their ability to buy something and, sadly, what you have in today's world often denotes status. It's one of those primal, biological hold-overs that we have yet to overcome as a species, unfortunately.

In MMOs, whales need the underclass. It's what gives them their status. Without the krill/noobs/casuals, the whales begin to be denied their "mad skillz" or recognition of their uber/epic/legendary gear they've acquired, they begin to go hungry. The ego isn't fed. validation dries up. Like any species would in a closed ecosphere with only themselves as nuritishment, they begin to cannibalize themselves. And, for awhile, it works. The strongest survive. Those willing to do anything and everything to be at the top. Then, eventually, they die off.

We don't blame the orca for the unfortunate incidents at a waterpark. We look to the environment created. We look to the trainers and keepers. We look to ourselves and question the morality of paying for a show, being consumers of viewing a fellow inhabitant of the Earth being confined and used to entertain us. We might even begin to laugh or be saddened by how our fellow humans are playing off the most basic instincts of those whales.

All I know for sure in all of this is that I love gaming. I love engaging with other players to test our skills or work cooperatively on a common task and have a great time doing it. Todays MMOs aren't doing that anymore. They are created as tools to mine a specific resource: money. I will be the first person in line defending a good developer and producer of a great game or even a bad one if it was well-executed with the end-game of making a fun product while making some bank. MMOs and many box games have become tools rather than products. I'm the product. Your the product. What we all produce for them is money. *We* get QA tested through their tools to see what works. A nerf 15 years ago in a game was because of an imbalance in gameplay. Today, they get applied to attain a certain result from the product: us.

I had some great fun in MMOs in the early years. I had some fun in this one up until recently. This isn't an "I quit" or slam or rage. It's just realization. I don't want to be plankton. I don't want to be a product of an amoral corporate entity. I don't even begrudge them for having the sole focus of making money. The entire world has that as the agenda. It will likely cause our end at some point, I imagine.

I just want to be a gamer. I want to play games made for the purpose of fun. If it's done well, there's all kinds of money to be made doing that. The largest game companies in the world have started from the most meager of circumstances and bold moves. Those games were epic. Lengendary. Many have withstood the test of time. My point is that it's a flawed argument to say game designers have to bend to the agenda of profit to make it.

My overall thought is if we don't like the environment the whales are kept in, doing the things a whale will naturally do, set them free. Stop being the plankton. Stop reducing your existence to being part of the formula in an economic equation.

Be gamers.

No, no one can have my stuff. I can't even give 95% of it to my alts.
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Your ANSWER TO YOU QUESTION IS the following; Modders could fix the problems related to STO! Guaranteed and that is a FACT.