test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is going on?

nyracernyracer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Being fairly new to STO, i started playing a few weeks ago and just recently subscribed. I've played numerous mmo's that include EVE online, 10Six (which is now called project visitor) BSG as well as UO, WoW, EQ etc.

I'm Loving this game, however the bad points. lack of communication from Cryptic/PWE. Today for example...

The launcher says "We will be performing Account Server maintenance on 11/21/2014 from 7-9 AM PST (1500-1700 UTC). Please check the forums for more information"

There is absolutely NO information the company has put on their forums. Have I made a mistake subscribing to this game?

Is this something that happens often?

I've seen other people say they've found information on Neverwinter forums. Why should someone have to go to another forum searching for information relating on another games forums.
Post edited by nyracer on

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Welcome to the Cryptic "World-of-Keeping-You-Guessing" Star Trek Online Game.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    shinra84shinra84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nyracer wrote: »
    Have I made a mistake subscribing to this game?

Yes! rotfl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CLR—Infected Space[2:24]—Dmg(DPS)—Bi'Quarpa@9.163.310(65.437)—Xindi-E(dbb/mk.xiv)—build
    CLR—Infected Space[2:06]—Dmg(DPS)—Bi'Quarpa@6.421.868(52.210)—JHAS(dhc/mk.xiv)—build
  • Options
    ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Our Cm's are a waste of oxygen and are not updating us to anything.

It appears on ANOTHER PWE game that their is a delay.
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    "Go check the forums" is their standard boilerplate for the launcher. This is an unscheduled maintenance. Normally maintenance happens weekly on Thursday and there are accompanying patch notes and maintenance threads.

p.s. Pray that you never have to interact with their CS department.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The fun part : They recently locked all Threads providing Information ... so "check the Forums" is kind of schizophrenic ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    STO just suffered a new expansion that has caused some extra downtime to patch bugs like allowing characters to gain levels or to add important functionality like a virtual beer joint. The normal for the game is weekly maintenance downtime without the emergency fixes. Even wow has had a few emergency patches over the years, as have many other big name titles.

Honestly, they fixed the server malfunction a weekend or two ago in pretty short time, and have fixed a number of *cough bugs that never should have made it live in the first place* issues since the expansion already.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The fun part : They recently locked all Threads providing Information ... so "check the Forums" is kind of schizophrenic ...

Our lovely useless waste of oxygen CM's are too busy locking the threads giving information? while they give zero information, unlike other CM's on OTHER games who are updating regularly?

Gecko go **** a drainpipe you moron.
  • Options
    cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ... <snip> Have I made a mistake subscribing to this game?

Yes.
    ... Is this something that happens often? ...<snip>

Just often enough to really make you wonder if its worth it. And "Account Server Maintenance" is always the worst as far as being completed as planned. But the flips side is that we're probably getting the new security system. Then again it may break down and lock us out of our accounts. We'll have to wait and see. :(
  • Options
    cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ... <snip> ...

p.s. Pray that you never have to interact with their CS department.

PWE has a Customer Service department? News to me... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    nyracernyracer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, went to cancel Sub, however apparently cryptic is having issues as well...

We'll be right back!

The Cryptic Studios website is currently offline for maintenance and will be back soon. Thank you for your patience and for visiting the Cryptic Studios website!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, went to cancel Sub, however apparently cryptic is having issues as well...

We'll be right back!

The Cryptic Studios website is currently offline for maintenance and will be back soon. Thank you for your patience and for visiting the Cryptic Studios website!

Do not give them a single cent/pound!

They care so little for their community that they ignore us, and keep us in the dark about everything.

They don't deserve anything over then being out on their TRIBBLE jobless.
  • Options
    baxhatrixbaxhatrix Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Didn't you know?

You're supposed to check the My Little Pony Online forums to find out what's going on with STO.
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Being fairly new to STO, i started playing a few weeks ago and just recently subscribed. I've played numerous mmo's that include EVE online, 10Six (which is now called project visitor) BSG as well as UO, WoW, EQ etc.

I'm Loving this game, however the bad points. lack of communication from Cryptic/PWE. Today for example...

The launcher says "We will be performing Account Server maintenance on 11/21/2014 from 7-9 AM PST (1500-1700 UTC). Please check the forums for more information"

There is absolutely NO information the company has put on their forums. Have I made a mistake subscribing to this game?

Is this something that happens often?

I've seen other people say they've found information on Neverwinter forums. Why should someone have to go to another forum searching for information relating on another games forums.

Welcome to STO...see my signature below to summarize it without being banned :D
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I would say yes, but probably not for the reasons you would think. I dont get butthurt like Mr "useless oxygen" up there. I *do* think that they have mishandled a few things, but that doesnt mean i'll start crapping in my hands and flinging stuff at the devs or CMs.

Anyways I used to be a regular sub but it was before the F2P system was in place. I think i subbed very briefly again when i came back to play and it was already F2P. You should look at the cost of the sub and what you get in game for it. Unless i'm mistaken sub payments is the standard 15 dollars but your stipend is only 500zen a month. I think that instead of paying a regular sub you should cancel you sub, buy some zen, and get a couple of unlocks. F2P have a limit on how much energy credits (in game currency) they can have and its like 10million which is actually really low. So spend some Zen to remove that restriction. Then spend Zen on a few other select items that may help you out or that you think you may want. Want to play as a Fed Klingon? you can unlock it. Want to play as a Caitian/Feresan cat-like character? you can unlock it. Spend some time in the zen store and look at various item unlocks and decide if they are worth having (or ask around if they are).

Once you've spent that initial chunk of zen on minor unlocks then you can get more zen per buck if you stay unsubbed. Stay subbed for 15 dollars and recieve a 500 zen stipend? or stay unsubbed and get no stipend, but spend 15 dollars a month and recieve 1500 zen? or you dont even have to spend 15 dollars. As a sub you may end up still having to buy zen anyways if your stipends arent enough to buy things that you want right away. And even if you wait and just let your stipend build up, you get more value if you just stay unsubbed and buy 15 dollars worth of zen every month. Just play the game for a month or two and spend a little bit of zen at a time. That way if you decide the game isnt for you, then you havent wasted a whole lot of money on it. Also if you just stay F2P you can come and go as you wish. I've played this game for a few weeks or months stretch and then i'll take a break and go play something else, then i'll come back to STO a few months later.

Just double check the info i put up there, especially about how much people get for a stipend. Because like i said its been a lonnnnnng time since i last subbed.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2014

IMO, yes, if you keep your subscription past the first month.

Free to play used to be perfectly viable,but you won't really get anywhere anymore unless you A). Have obscene amounts of free time to grind for things in game and enjoy timegates upon timegates (most of which can "conveniently" be bypassed by spending obscene amounts of dilithium), and/or B). Lots of spare cash to burn on buying zen to trade for dilithium or master keys to sell for EC.

Monthly subscription doesn't get you much aside from the permanent things from your first month like the extra inventory and bank slots and the EC cap increase. The lifetime is (IMO) a total waste of money even on sale, as are the "megabundles" (LoR and DR packs, dyson pack) as you're likely to only want a few things from them and the rest don't get used.

Essentially, to get the most out of the game cancel your subscription after the first month, don't be a sucker and impulse buy the bundles or lifetime subscription, and don't spend any money on zen until you've played at least one character to level 60 and decide for yourself whether this is the kind of game you really like or not.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talien wrote: »
    IMO, yes, if you keep your subscription past the first month.

Free to play used to be perfectly viable,but you won't really get anywhere anymore unless you A). Have obscene amounts of free time to grind for things in game and enjoy timegates upon timegates (most of which can "conveniently" be bypassed by spending obscene amounts of dilithium), and/or B). Lots of spare cash to burn on buying zen to trade for dilithium or master keys to sell for EC.

Monthly subscription doesn't get you much aside from the permanent things from your first month like the extra inventory and bank slots and the EC cap increase. The lifetime is (IMO) a total waste of money even on sale, as are the "megabundles" (LoR and DR packs, dyson pack) as you're likely to only want a few things from them and the rest don't get used.

Essentially, to get the most out of the game cancel your subscription after the first month, don't be a sucker and impulse buy the bundles or lifetime subscription, and don't spend any money on zen until you've played at least one character to level 60 and decide for yourself whether this is the kind of game you really like or not.

I agree completely.

Right now, I have kept my gold because I need the EC cap increase to save for Plasmonic, but once I get it I'll go back to Silver. Just not enough reason to pay every month when the advantages are so few.
    Insert witty signature line here.