test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intrepid Class Starship

Comments

• ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    It's quite simple. All Tier 6 non-intel ships have only a Lieutenant intel Boff station. That has the lovely consequence that there's only 1 ship on KDF and ROM side that can use all intel abilities, versus 3 on FED side.

Or more aptly:

Feds get 4 ship mastery traits. romulans and kdf get 2.

Balance has been restored to the Force.
  • kamipoikamipoi Member Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    during discount well it will be 25 bucks for the ship itself and then pack is probably price of all ships combines -5-10bucks?

30 normally so meh too much money for me to spend at this time even if i wanted it not that i do want it right now might wait till the fleet versions out to see if its worth it.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Not terribly useful news when we don't know the overall price.

Though they'll probably do the same as before (I.e with the T6 and T5u ships) and leave us to find out for ourselves when we log in post-patch.

Regardless of the price, if you buy it before Monday, you get a $5 discount, which is the price of an individual upgrade, if you buy the 4 pack anyway.
  • renarcenerenarcene Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I want this. I rolled a Intrepid for years until the Vesta came out. If this rig could only equip cannons then I would finally have my warship Voyager...
    I like my Sci guy & I like my Sci ship & that's that.
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am currently flailing away to level the trait on the 2 tac console Scryer. A 3rd tactical console is huge, and will no doubt missed on this, like the other Intrepid varieties.

In around a week I will have access to a fleet Intrepid. Could this version upgrade to a fleet version? I would snap this up then. Until them... meh.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    another federation ship? really?
    when will the other factions get something?
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    It was never stated to be anything on screen. Not any kind of cruiser or science ship.

Which is hardly surprising since the only places I've seen it referred too as either a Science Ship or Light Cruiser are Star Trek Games, usually games that are stuffing the ship into a pigeon hole to suit trinity mechanics or classify it vs other larger cruisers

Far as I could tell from actually watching Voyager it was presented as an intermediate sized Multi role starship, which is the standard concept of starfleet vessels.
    Considering it doesn't present any major departures from other starfleet vessels( compared to say the Defiant ) , And I can't recall it ever being stated to be a special purpose vessel I've always assumed it to be a What you see is what you get, an Intermediately sized Starship suited to carrying out whatever tasks starfleet fleet ops decides it need to do
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you're still here, playing and paying, you're what is called a "doormat".

Let "Coach" Corey Wayne help you understand this concept:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vK19U_CszI

Warning: adult language/themes
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Which is hardly surprising since the only places I've seen it referred too as either a Science Ship or Light Cruiser are Star Trek Games, usually games that are stuffing the ship into a pigeon hole to suit trinity mechanics or classify it vs other larger cruisers

Far as I could tell from actually watching Voyager it was presented as an intermediate sized Multi role starship, which is the standard concept of starfleet vessels.
    Considering it doesn't present any major departures from other starfleet vessels( compared to say the Defiant ) , And I can't recall it ever being stated to be a special purpose vessel I've always assumed it to be a What you see is what you get, an Intermediately sized Starship suited to carrying out whatever tasks starfleet fleet ops decides it need to do

That's about right. From the unreleased TM:

Page 7: The USS Voyager is the newes Federation starship. It is an Intrepid class vessel, one of the fastest and most powerful in the Starfleet. It continues the tradition of exploration and discovery established by Captain James Kirk on the USS Enterprise nearly a century ago. (...) The original mission of Voyager was primarily exploration and research, and it was superbly equipped for both. For those occasions when a show of military force is unavoidable, the ship is equipped with an impressive array of defensive and offensive weapons. (sic)

Page 20: The mission of Voyager is exploration, science and diplomacy. It is not a warship, nor is Starfleet a military organization in the 20th century sense. Nevertheless, the galaxy is a big place, full of unknown - and occasionally hostile - life forms. For those times when Voyager must protect itself during the jounrey back to the Federation, the ship is fully equipped with both defensive and offensive weaponry. When provoked, Voyager is a formidable adversary. Additionally, Janeway's staff is fully trained in cultural sociology, strategy and crisis analysis, and they have at their disposal a powerful array of information-gathering sensors and computers. They know that their skills in these areas are often more important in the succesful resolution of a crisis than are advanced weaponry. (sic)

EDIT: And on the matter of the ship itself, I'll just copypasta my response from another thread:

I'm not mad that there is a T6 Intrepid, I mean we kinda knew that. I'm mad, though, that the devs said nothing, only gave us the usual PR redacted nonesense and let people spent for those now actually worthless T5U upgrade bovine TRIBBLE. Additionally, we got the notion that there will be no more canon designs in STO ever. This is a huge understatement at best and a flat out lie at worst and it's not the only one. Cryptic has absolutely no interest in improving customer relations here but I'm sure the next time the topic comes up a developer states again that they just want to be loved when they visit the forums and that's why they don't write anything. I'm sorry, but if you don't see why the practice you, Cryptic, show right now upsets people I don't know what else to say. I'm sure we all would like to have a good time on the forums and we are interested to read what goes on behind the scenes and we'd like to have a chat with you guys, but not like this.

The T6 Intrepid thing is a major kick. And I don't even own an Intrepid, it's not that, believe me.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think this is more like a huge marketing fail...

- the blog says Intrepid Class...while its a supposed to be the Pathfinder Class

- not including any screenshots of the actual class...instead posting them on twitter

- not explaining the actual differences to a normal/fleet Intrepid...like why it has more science consoles or the secondary deflector.

For me it looks like the blog and the twitter post are from 2 people who only work for the same company...but otherwise do not communicate at all.
  • andorianblueandorianblue Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does this mean other existing ships will be getting T6 versions? I'd love to see T6 versions of the Galaxy and Excelsior. Also, KDF and Romulans need more T6 ships.

One more thing; would this be a bad time to ask about a T6 Constitution class? I know it'll probably never happen, but it won't stop me from asking about one.
    edited November 2014
    (...)

TL/DR

You got what you paid for, you should anticipate that a T6 Intrepid was coming out, just about all of us in the fleet were waiting for it, was pretty obvious seeing as how we knew already the bridge pack was going to be available.

Those stupid car analogies don't work and need to stop. Seriously.

And the disappointment of players I'd suspect don't originate in getting the upgrade for free, but in this case Cryptic did state two things: T5U will be almost as good and there will be no more canon designs released within STO. Both of it has been a lie and the topic on T6 canon ships has been a hot one in the forums since the first announcement (maybe even before) but they didn't react to it. At all. Instead, DR hits and they wait for everyone to buy the (int he Intrepid's case now completely useless) upgrade and then reveal there's a real T6 version shortly after upgrade sales spiked.

That's just a kick. Not that I bought the ship four years ago and now I'm mad that I have to buy the T6 version again, it's not a good practice to not offer discounts for those players since we are not buying cars but non existant, virtual items that can be changed with a change in code - or removed frome xistance in an instant. But it's understandable. But the T5U upgrade debacle is not. That was just rude.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well that was no suprise. Still not enough to get me out of my Vesta. Now I hope the next batch are hangar based ships for all sides.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Nice! I just upgraded my Intrepid Retrofit last week since I wanted to play DR in an Intrepid. :D

Oh well...
    edited November 2014
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Nice! I just upgraded my Intrepid Retrofit last week since I wanted to play DR in an Intrepid. :D

Oh well...

Why only charge 30 bucks for a ship upgrade when you can charge 37, right? :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Those stupid car analogies don't work and need to stop. Seriously.

And the disappointment of players I'd suspect don't originate in getting the upgrade for free, but in this case Cryptic did state two things: T5U will be almost as good and there will be no more canon designs released within STO. Both of it has been a lie and the topic on T6 canon ships has been a hot one in the forums since the first announcement (maybe even before) but they didn't react to it. At all. Instead, DR hits and they wait for everyone to buy the (int he Intrepid's case now completely useless) upgrade and then reveal there's a real T6 version shortly after upgrade sales spiked.

That's just a kick. Not that I bought the ship four years ago and now I'm mad that I have to buy the T6 version again, it's not a good practice to not offer discounts for those players since we are not buying cars but non existant, virtual items that can be changed with a change in code - or removed frome xistance in an instant. But it's understandable. But the T5U upgrade debacle is not. That was just rude.

The whole Tier 5 Upgrade thing to me always looked completely superflous. Why add this in-between tier. But it has kinda some sort of use for Cryptic, aside the money-making:

They knew they will eventually have to give us Tier 6 versions of hero ships at minimum. People already fought hard to get these ships into the game in the first place!
    But, they set on the following design parameters:
    - C-Store ships need a special console
    - C-Store ships need a skin not otherwise available. (Only exceptions may be the old retrofits, which are pre-F2P legacy)
    - Tier 6 ships need a Starship Mastery Trait.

Since they can't create these things fast enough, they needed an interims solution, that still got players some of the perks of Tier 6 - scaling hit points and stuff lke that. And of course, they didn't want to complete invalidate those Tier 5 ships people bought in the belief that there'd never be another ship tier increase. But they still know they eventually need people to buy Tier 6 ships, or their F2P system breaks down, and they knew that non-canon ships probably always had lower sales than canon/hero ship sales, so just adding new non-canon designs wil just not fly.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And since I bought all the previous science ships will get those for free or will I ge ta refund for my T5 Science vesserl?
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You see, this is why I never, ever believe the hype.

If I were you I wouldn't bother spending anything else until Fleet T6 comes along. Skip the fleet T5, the T5U and all that other junk and save your Zen. You'll only suffer more disappointment down the road otherwise.

If this is any indication, I wouldn't be surprised if Fleet T6 comes along sooner than everyone thought. And if the content demands nothing less that T5U? Pick a ship that doesn't have a fleet version and likely won't get the T6 treatment.
  • n00b1001n00b1001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know what would be cool. A Romulan D'Deridex at T6 (the vessel is huge, so retrofit would be no problem) with a working interior. So awesome, if Romulans could finally use the TNG and DS9 ship interior of a D'Deridex.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Only 2 Tact Consoles?! Really!? Even my Science Vesta has 3. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    1 word : money. A lot of it.

Expect to see your favorite T5u revamped as T6 soon, the same, just better ! For the small price of 30$ !

Anyway, I'll pass, thank you.

Yeah this is getting ridiculous, I mean it might be a one off being the intrepid but that being said, I have completely gone off the idea of upgrading any ships now. I only upgraded my Orb Weaver and that is missing its sensor analysis still, so glad that was a free upgrade or I'd be really mad.

This could well be a sign of things to come with the ships, so it just simply isn't worth the hassle any more in case they try to do this with other ships. I feel for anyone who had the T5-U of the intrepid though...
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does my science ship on my alt gets updated to this T6 version or am I screwed?
    Otherwise I want a refund. I am not happy with this.
  • mo8ius142mo8ius142 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I honestly don't mind them making money, as long as they keep adding content (which they do) rather than just raking money off a stagnant game I'm fine with them continually adding new things to buy, after all, it's optional for us to buy them.

I really like the look & intention of the Pathfinder.

I'd be 100% entirely happy with this new ship if I could just spend an upgrade token on my current T5-U intrepid and it would turn into a T6 Pathfinder. What I don't want to have to do is pay full T6 prices for a ship I already own 95% of - especially when I'd end up with a T5U intrepid sitting in my hangar unused because really, why use a T5u version of a ship when you have the T6 version of that ship? Makes so much more sense to offer upgrades to T5U owners.

Especially since, being new to the game, I've only recently purchased my T5U intrepid. I would probably feel differently if I'd had it for months.

I'm not asking for 'free' anything, I know they need to make money and I'm totally happy to support that (hence why I buy Zen things, to support a game I really enjoy playing), but an upgrade option seems like a very fair and expected thing to do here.
  • giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Only 2 Tact Consoles?! Really!? Even my Science Vesta has 3. :(

if you need tac consoles on a sci ship, you're doing it wrong.
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• mgs010lunamgs010luna Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    zuigje010 wrote: »
    Does my science ship on my alt gets updated to this T6 version or am I screwed?
    Otherwise I want a refund. I am not happy with this.

They better update our current T5 ship to T6 or atleast give us a T6 token to buy and upgrade our current ship otherwise I see this game loose even more players.
    Dilithium Rising expansion has not been great so far towards it's players and everyone feels more and more ripped off by the day!
    sigh :(
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Great, just great..

Whirlpool released a new version of my dishwasher with the same price.

If only I had known they would do this, to release updated versions of older models.

that's all your fault, PWE! You are the only company on the whole wide world who does that.

:D