test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Chronoton Mine Nerf?

selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
I've noticed the Engineer Kit power "Chronoton Mines" now seems to have a 6-8 second activation time as opposed to the old 2 second time... that's when they decide to explode. I've seen enemy npcs just walk all over them after they should have been activated.

Is this a nerf or a bug? :confused:

They're pretty much worthless right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by selraxxx on

Comments

• Options
    tucker84tucker84 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am sure that the explosion is not as strong as before. But that happened a few month ago. They did something with the mines imho.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    tucker84 wrote: »
    I am sure that the explosion is not as strong as before. But that happened a few month ago. They did something with the mines imho.

Now they don't explode at all. Didn't notice this until really recently.

The mines will even de-spawn while enemy npcs walk over them, never activating. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brothabennybrothabenny Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was on Defera earlier today and tried to use my Chroniton Mines against approaching groups of Borg - my usual defence when badly outnumbered by borg. It was disturbing just how often the Borg would walk right over them and the mines didn't respond at all - they just sat there and eventually disappeared because they had expired. Last time i was on Defera the mines worked fine and that was only a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    tucker84tucker84 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    selraxxx wrote: »
    Now they don't explode at all. Didn't notice this until really recently.

The mines will even de-spawn while enemy npcs walk over them, never activating. :(

Oh, really? I didn't try to use them since the patch yesterday. Did you notice this problem after the patch? :mad: Those are my favourite toys on ground...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I noticed it prior to the last patch. Maybe the patch before that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's been like this for a while now and it was actually an intented nerf. Someone figured engineers were OP shortly after they introduced mix and match ground kits (because suddenly everyone could slot the best kits at once. DUH!). Since mines are an engineers primary weapon they increased the activation timer so you just can't spawn your mines in enemy groups and watch them fly anymore. Best is to pair with a sci who slows or roots the whole group before you drop the mines.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Seems to work well for me. I haven't noticed any change in the past month.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited November 2014
    And now they barely work at all.. when they do.

Great going cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    tucker84 wrote: »
    Oh, really? I didn't try to use them since the patch yesterday. Did you notice this problem after the patch? :mad: Those are my favourite toys on ground...
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It's been like this for a while now and it was actually an intented nerf. Someone figured engineers were OP shortly after they introduced mix and match ground kits (because suddenly everyone could slot the best kits at once. DUH!). Since mines are an engineers primary weapon they increased the activation timer so you just can't spawn your mines in enemy groups and watch them fly anymore. Best is to pair with a sci who slows or roots the whole group before you drop the mines.
    Seems to work well for me. I haven't noticed any change in the past month.

I dunno... Maybe I should switch mine modules and see if there's any difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    they still work fine. Just differently.

Now, they only explode if walked on. Before, hitting 1 set off all of them usually.
    Now, the blast radius seems smaller. So is the activation radius -- they need to step ON a mine.
    Now, the activation time is much longer.

Basically, you cannot run up to a platoon and scatter mines at their feet anymore.
    Melee mines tactic is still good (strafe the enemy and melee to knock them into a mine) so long as you are smart about how much stuff is shooting you when you run out to hit them.

Stacking them still works (using terrain to get them to cluster in a tiny spot). This is useful for extra tough enemy -- you know, the guy has 10 million hit points but does not drop 10 million hit point armor or shields, he just has bullet and bomb proof skin but you can't skin him to make armor either.

They are far from worthless but are no longer an IWIN button.
  • Options
    ecotec1983ecotec1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Only problem i have had is that they seem to have a random timer. One Defera instance they explode in 5 seconds, next instance they explode after 10-15 seconds. It almost feels like server lag is not activating in a consistant manner as most issues for me seem to occur when the invasion zone is packed.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't seem to be any different to me.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This just in!

Engineers still make a mockery of ground content since 2409! :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The arming delay was increased with the kit revamp when they also reduced the damage of Chroniton Mines and Transphasic Bomb. The longer delay may be intentional, but it is not documented anywhere.

Delay of 6.5 seconds not mentioned in descriptions of Chroniton Mine Barrier (Holodeck ticket #2,853,430)
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png