test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help in changing to a dps build

misthollowmisthollow Member Posts: 60 Arc User
I can't link the build but saved in store academy under federation, tactical, mirror universe heavy cruiser retrofit, misthollow

I haven't got my skills listed as not at my computer, any help would be appreciated
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    misthollow wrote: »
    I can't link the build but saved in store academy under federation, tactical, mirror universe heavy cruiser retrofit, misthollow

I haven't got my skills listed as not at my computer, any help would be appreciated

Here's his link, for anyone looking. I gotta run!
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How much do you personally get out of it, and to what level do you want to improve it to?

In any event swap the turret for another beam array, and fit a Deflector, they are useful. :)

Also telling us what doffs you have and your budget would be helpful.
  • misthollowmisthollow Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    How much do you personally get out of it, and to what level do you want to improve it to?

In any event swap the turret for another beam array, and fit a Deflector, they are useful. :)

Also telling us what doffs you have and your budget would be helpful.

She is a level 54 and my main toon right now she is only getting about 2k dps and I want her as much as possible, I do have a deflector but couldn't find in the list as she is running the old aegis. Right now there is no budget as I want her to do at least 20 or 30 k dps I want to be able to do any and all content which os why I need help I have been trying to read up as much as possible but I still don't understand the builds enough to make a good dps toon. I am survivalable but that's it right now

Thanks

I will add doff info and my skill points in about an hour or so when I get home to my computer
    edited November 2014
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=misthollow72_0

Had to resave under a different name. Here is the link with doff info in the description part and notes about what is missing on the deflector and kt

Any and all feedback is appreciated

Thanks Much :)
    edited November 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    Yes skill tree is huge.

If going for all out DPS there's alot we can recommend.

Either way drop the torp go 7 arrays plus KCB.

20k DPS can be easily done with an Aux2batt boat. That will easily handle all Advanced content with a competent team.

But 30k+ will be a bit more tricky and expensive if you don't have certain doffs already. Not impossible without, just harder.

Your ship will be able to afford some tanking but only after everything is allocated towards damage.

Regardless a jump from 2k DPS to 20K DPS is not something that's changed overnight. It takes understanding your build,powers,CDs, piloting, positioning, timing, and the missions you're going to parse. Its more than just handing you a carbon copy of mine and immediately doing 30-40k as a Fed captain without pets. It'll take practice as well.

What I am hoping to do is at least get my build up then I can go in and do missions or whatever I need to practice and get more of understanding on how to play my build works to be able to get the most out of it. Most of my toons are engineer and built for survivability instead of dps those I play pretty good but I want to learn more, however to play this toon to the max ability I have to have her skilled and geared right and I am just not sure how to go about doing that which is my purpose for asking for help
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Gear-wise, drop the torpedo and go with 7 beams + Kinetic Cutting Beam (Omega reputation) as someone already suggested. Make sure to pick up the Assimilated console, which is also from the Omega reputation. Neither it nor the KCB requires BNPs.

Choose either Plasma or Antiproton weapons.

You already have the Zero-Point console, it has a +Plasma bonus if you use the Experimental RomPlas Array. That array drains 0 Weapon Power, so unless you can keep 125 Weapon Power through your Fire At Wills already, it'll likely increase overall damage. The rest of the slots you want [CrtD]x3 Plasma arrays. (Personally, I just use RomPlas [CrtD]x2 because I don't like my ship firing different color beams. :P ) With Plasma weapons, you also pick up the Fleet Science consoles from a Fleet Embassy, which has +Plas mods, effectively turning your Science console slots into mini-Tactical slots.

I would actually recommend using Antiproton weapons though. They go well with Attack Pattern Alpha, plus you already have the Obelisk core. Pick up the Omni-Directional Array (the quest reward, not the crafted ones) that gives a set bonus with that core, the KCB, and 5 AP beam arrays. Again you want [CrtD]x3, but you can pick up free ones from Fluid Dynamics to start you off.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with Disruptors, either. Regardless, you're going to want Fleet Tactical Vulnerability Locators that boost the appropriate energy type.

In the very long run (ie. Expensive), you're going to want the Plasmonic Leech (Lockbox console, many millions of EC), as well as Bioneural Infusion Circuits (200 Lobi) and Tachyokinetic Converter (200 Lobi). The Bounty Hunter's Friend (200 Lobi) is likely to be of assistance, as well. With the Zero Point, Assimilated, and three Vulnerability Locators, that accounts for all 9 console slots.

For your Deflector/Engines/Shields, I would recommend Nukara/Romulan/Nukara.

Now, regardless of gear, the key to the strength of any build is actually your BOff ability layout. For a cheap build without any Duty Officers, we can go Dragon:

Lt Tac: FAW1 / FAW2
    Ens Tac: TT1

Cdr Eng: EPtS1/RSP1/EPtW3/Aux2SIF3
    Lt Eng: EPtS1/EPtW2

LCdr Sci: TSS1/HE2/GW1

Having two copies of EPtS lets us have 100% uptime on them. Having a pair of EPtW with that lets us keep both at 100% uptime, after a 15s delay. This keeps your shields regenerating, and your weapon power up and damage boosted. That is what makes it a Dragon build.

Aux2SIF3 is an excellent heal with a 15s cooldown that also increases your damage resistance - start using it the moment your hull drops to 99%, and keep on firing it when it's off cooldown. A2SIF3 should keep your hull topped up, but if it drops you fire off HE2.

The key is to keep shields up, it's rare for a cruiser to get destroyed through bleed-through, and a Resilient shield (like the Nukara) only has a 5% bleed-through. For shields, use TSS1 when your shields start to falter, and RSP1 should bring shields back up if they're on the brink. Use Tac Team 1 to redistribute when one facing starts going down.

Offensively, just alternate between FAW2 and FAW1 every 20s.

Now the thing is, because the ship only has 3 Tactical stations, it's very limited in how much damage it can do. Which is why someone suggested doing an Aux2Batt build with it, since that will effectively double your tactical stations. This requires two to three Technician DOffs - I recommend getting three free purples from the Support B'Tran Colonization Efforts assignment. The way it works is that using Auxiliary to Battery causes the Technician DOffs to reduce the cooldown on all abilities.

Lt Tac: FAW1 / APB1
    Ens Tac: TT1

Cdr Eng: EPtS1/Aux2Batt1/EPtW3/DEM3
    Lt Eng: ET1/Aux2Batt1

LCdr Sci: ?/?/?

With 3 Purple Technician DOffs, if you fire A2B every time it's available, it should put everything on minimal cooldown. This lets you keep TT1 going (so ~2/3rds of the time your shields are automatically redistributing), as well as EPtS1 and EPtW3.

You get Fire At Will 1 every 20s, and hold off on using APB1 until FAW1 is ready, so you're firing both at once. Likewise, hold off on using DEM3 unless you can use it with FAW/APB. If you're having trouble with survival, RSP3 instead of DEM3 will make you practically indestructible, especially if you take the DOff that extends the duration of RSP.

Engineering Team and Science Team are going to be your primary sources of healing, having low cooldowns and not scaling to Aux. Hazard Emitters with low Aux will kind of suck, but you need it anyway to clear debuffs. Most Science abilities scale with Aux, and I'm not familiar enough of them to recommend which to take for your 3rd ability, or at what rank.

I'm actually not familiar with Aux2Batt ships, so someone else will probably have better advice later, but hopefully this gives you some ideas of where to start.
    edited November 2014
    Everything depends on what you can afford EC wise...

Are we talking basic cost effective builds...reasonable or Bills Gates budget?

More than basic but less than bill gates

Darkjeff, I can actually do most of this, I went with disruptors only because I have no idea what I wanted on this toon, i actually have started the nukara and omega set stopped due to not able to get bng's and wasn't sure what direction to take, but decided while doing new dr missions I needed more dps so here I am
    edited November 2014
    Ok, I have found that I already have the Nukara Shields and I now have the plasmonic leech and I shouldn't have any trouble getting the fleet embassy consoles for Science

What boff species, traits do I need to look for and what doff's needed?
    edited November 2014
    As mentioned, the two Tac BOffs should be Romulans with Superior Romulan Operative, available from your Fleet Embassy (if unlocked, obviously). I believe only the blue male Tactical officers in the embassy have that trait.

Your Science BOff doesn't matter too much, because halfway through DR (level 56, in fact) you get an Intel/Sci BOff with Efficient and Pirate, and you'll want him in your science station.

Duty Officers, you want Technicians if you're going Aux2Batt, and Damage Control Engineers for Drake. You'll want a Gravimetric Scientist if you're using Grav Wells (so that your Grav Wells spawn Grav Wells). I personally like to fill in excess DOff slots with Shield Distribution Officers to turn my Brace For Impact into a shield heal.
    edited November 2014
    2 tac boffs should be Rare Romulans with Superior Operative Trait from the embassy.

A saurian and a human help too.

Good job on the leech. I was about to say that.

Once I get home I can build a skill tree for you. Can't from the phone. Somethings you're missing really put a dent in your damage.

I kinda figured my skills needed a complete overhaul but as I am lifetime I still have respect tokens so no problem there, yes that would be a big help also

Darkjeff, what mission do I get the Sci boff as I actually have done a lot of those already and when I logged in this morning I found I am almost to 56 and not 54 like I thought?

My husband thinks that maybe going with the dragon build right now would be better as plasma are a little cheaper and not hard for me to get

Also what about my traits? Do they look ok?
    edited November 2014
    Darkjeff, what mission do I get the Sci boff as I actually have done a lot of those already and when I logged in this morning I found I am almost to 56 and not 54 like I thought?

He's from Alliances.
    My husband thinks that maybe going with the dragon build right now would be better as plasma are a little cheaper and not hard for me to get

Note that the builds and gear are separate suggestions.

A Dragon build means taking two pairs of different Emergency Power to X abilities, so that you can have both going at once.
    A Drake build means using Damage Control Engineer DOffs with one copy of two different Emergency Power to X abilities, so that you can still have both going at once.

I believe RomPlas is the cheapest energy type to get your ideal set of gear in anyway, since you can immediately grab [CrtD]x2 versions from your rep store. AP is cheap to get a starter set (from the mission) but crazy expensive to get your ideal set (the top end guys are using [CrtD]x4 or [CrtD]x3[Pen] arrays).
    edited November 2014
    Ok, sorry for lateness. 2k DPS - right now I can tell you your build, as it was back when you made the thread, is good for at least a four multiples of that as it is mostly equal spec to my VPvP Healboat, and that does 8k.

The reason I asked what level you were at and where do you want to be, is because we can offer you a build to make any sort of DPS you like up to about 107k DPS. You already have tonnes of stuff about the 10k DPS -> 30k+ DPS part, now we look at the 2k to 10k DPS bit - because we can give you a build that is capable of whatever numbers you like - but if you do not know how to fly it, it will just be dead weight to you until you can.

Plus, if you are anything like I was way back when I did 2k DPS, all of that has gone other your head and you are sitting there thinking "WTF?" at all of it...

You have quite a bit to cover it so far, but not so much context for you to gauge yourself by. For 8 Mk XI White beams, if you fire them a 125 weapons power each, you should get 6-8k DPS, subject to closeness to target/Critical Hit severity (CrtD) and critical hit chance (CrtH) - as you are running 2k, we should easily triple minimum your DPS just by getting you to fly in the right way and at max weapons power. :) This is before boffs/Doffs etc, just base equipment itself.

By extension, you need to be running this much DPS minimum, as otherwise all your shiny new presents will be just covering up badness, not adding to goodness.

Post shopping list and boffs adjusted to Darkjeff's first post/rest of thread explanation, I would say your current build should parse at least 14k DPS in ISA. If it is higher, great, on with the spending spree. :)

If it isn't, we still need to look at your piloting of it - 2k DPS is a very low amount, and in order to do that low, you need to be doing stuff that is actively harmful to your performance, and thus, you may have some bad piloting habits that need to be fixed.
    edited November 2014
    My husband is good just not usually a high dps'r he does engineer tanks but he has been playing since beta and is good so once I get a good build he is going to help get me where I need to be to be a better pilot and I am going to redo missions for practice so I can learn, it's just right now I am doing so low in the dps department that i die more than I play. My play style has always been go in with guns blazing kill everything i can only right now i am not killing much lol

I am willing to learn how to be a better pilot with a better build
    edited November 2014
    Thank You so very much everybody on the suggestions I will get my build changed around and will practice, practice to learn as much as I can about using all the new advice

:):):):)
    edited November 2014
    You've already made the most important improvement - the decision to make yourself better.

Everything else will follow.
    edited November 2014
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=misthollowphoenix_0

Here is an updated version of what I have done

I have switched ships so if someone could let me know about my boff skills please

I also can't get all the traits just yet so I have substituted until that time. Right now I am only missing biotech Patch, Inspirational Leader, Fleet Tactician that will take me awhile to get

As far as ship wise I am in the process of getting the Assimilated console, the kinetic cutting beam, the hydrodynamics compensator and the tachyokinetic converter

sorry for the spelling been up all night

Can you let me know of anything else I might need, right now I plan on putting the romulan engines on it.

thanks very, very much for all ya'lls help
    edited November 2014
    Boffs:

TT1, APB1, BFAW3, APO3,
    TT1, APB1,
    BFAW1,

If you have Zemoks to reduce Attack Pattern cooldowns drop an APB1 and raise BFAW1 to BFAW2, and put a Torp skill in the ensign slot. (to give an extra chance to proc one of the traits, you wont use it for any abilities as such)

How much damage are you getting out of it?
    edited November 2014
    I have not got all my ap beams on there yet, will have those tomorrow morning but with running 1 ap beam on the front and the omni beam on the back I am getting between 3200 and 3500 on crystalline that should be better in the morning when I put the rest of my tac consoles for the ap beams and finish the fluid dynamics mission several more times to get the rest of my beams.

I do have to fix my boff's and boff skills yet but I am probably not going to mess with them until I can do the delta mission to get the one boff from the level 56 mission
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2014
    before you make a super large investment with a non romulan if you really want dps make a romulan

cryptic has made romulans the DPS kings with 7.5% more crit chance over the Feds and Klingons

character 1.5% crit
    engineering SRO's Romulan only
    Science SRO's Romulan only

If you don't know what this means just imagine 7.5% crit chance on any weapon you put on your romulan ship just because your romulan
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 241 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    jellico1 wrote: »
    before you make a super large investment with a non romulan if you really want dps make a romulan

cryptic has made romulans the DPS kings with 7.5% more crit chance over the Feds and Klingons

character 1.5% crit
    engineering SRO's Romulan only
    Science SRO's Romulan only

If you don't know what this means just imagine 7.5% crit chance on any weapon you put on your romulan ship just because your romulan

Romulans do get a small Crit boost, but don't think that Feds/ KDF can't do DPS.

Here's a vid for you Jellico. Gal-X doing 82k DPS, outperforming the OP Romulan Scimitars on the team.
    http://youtu.be/E0FJBcIBNS8

All it takes is a great pilot and a great team, something PvE Bootcamp was never able to cover, as the people running it don't understand it.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 241 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    So .. the Gal-X did 82K with help?

It hit 82k with an experienced team, yes. Without that team, it'd still easily do >50k DPS.
    ffluoti63bi9.png