test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things that bug you in the STO universe.

Comments

• foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A recurring trope in missions: there's some sort of distraction or trick in play to disguise the presence of your ship. But before long, there's some unavoidable combat with a wing of ships.

Why don't they ever think to sound the alarm?

In all the TV series, and in the movies, a fight between any two ships was usually presented as a big deal, potentially with serious political repercussions. In STO, you can blow up two dozen enemy battleships, and that counts as a stealthy getaway.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What bugs me in the STO (and canon) universe?

Remans.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    foolishowl wrote: »
    A recurring trope in missions: there's some sort of distraction or trick in play to disguise the presence of your ship. But before long, there's some unavoidable combat with a wing of ships.

Why don't they ever think to sound the alarm?

In all the TV series, and in the movies, a fight between any two ships was usually presented as a big deal, potentially with serious political repercussions. In STO, you can blow up two dozen enemy battleships, and that counts as a stealthy getaway.

Can't say about the alarm. But this is both an open conflict and if you count only the ships you have to fight through the story with no repeats. And bear in mind that as far as the story is concerned there is only one captain out there.
    Your character is supposed to be a singularly gifted combatant. Conference rooms jump to salute on (old) ESD and they speak highly of your prowess on Qo'nos. Where Fed and KDF are balanced to each other. You the player are supposed to be the tipping point. You blast your way out of a secret outpost and only destroy a dozen battleships they feel lucky and look at each other. "we let them get away right?" "That's my story and I am sticking to it." Or just the sheer embaressment. "General, we just lost the 571st fleet. All hands lost." "That was two-hundred ships. How many did they destroy of the enemy?" "I think the Miranda got away sir, though it might have gotten the paint scuffed. . ."

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • ir0ncladbravoir0ncladbravo Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Oh I'll single out each captain.

Picard. Well, disobeyed orders more than once, and well he has a long and distinguished career of almost getting the enterprise blown up more times than we can count. But hell we gave him two just like Kirk.

You forgot on both occasions on letting Troy drive the Enterprise she crashed it as Picrd was directly responsible the second time
    Everytime I see complaints about the same thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    the bugs...
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bugs.

Exploring the Delta Quadrant with my Federation, and Klingon officers, acting like filthy,conniving, Romulans. Offering up weak objections to the lies, and underhanded sneak tactics that any self respecting Klingon or Starfleet officer would refuse to act on.

Also, a lot less exploring, and more like running through the quadrant "Firin mi Lazors"
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    13 Iconians being protrayed as bad guys, dispite everything we've seen of them in the series indicates the oppersite.

This has always bugged me as well. The episode in which they were introduced back during TNG was basically all about misconceptions, and how they can lead to terrible things. From the Enterprise and Romulans nearly coming to blows due to the Iconian virus TRIBBLE with their ships, to the whole Iconian homeworld being blown up out of fear and paranoia (and possibly greed; the desire to take control of the Iconian gateways.) Way to miss the whole point of that episode, Cryptic writers. :rolleyes:

Still, I give it a pass since it was never outright stated that the Iconians weren't totally evil, and it was merely Picard's theory that they weren't as bad as history made them out to be, leaving things open to interpretation. It's also possible that both historical interpretations are technically true: they started out as conquerors that used their gateway technology to build an empire, but mellowed out after they had taken over most of the galaxy. However, the Iconians underestimated how long the fear and resentment would last from their days of conquest.

I doubt they will do this, since they probably don't see a problem with their interpretation of the Iconians as being 100% evil, but it would be cool if it turned out the antagonistic Iconians are just a smaller faction, hence why they still feel the need for the smoke and mirrors, and manipulating lesser races for their own ends, despite their obvious power. The rest of the surviving Iconians just want to be left alone, and it's only a group of younger Iconians, that want to return to glory days their parents told them about (missing the point about how they lost their original empire in the first place).
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • dreaper1985dreaper1985 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I dislike STO so much no I hate STO can't play any funking thing above Normal as most missions fail in stage 0.funking 5 of the mission.

The new rep is a joke the set would be nice but you know can't do the missions, would like to be able to but you know can;t get the New rep weapon or ship set. So because a small percentage of the community reaching 50-1000000k DPS and smashed their as they say "Content".

Story line is worse then some of the PS1 video games I played and play, not even going to attempt heard from fleet mates that they hardly see growth in the bar from completion of the mission, HELLLOOO didnt they say the Funking missions would allow the Funking user to move on to the next Funking mission idiots lazy DEVS (just people who don't know what thier doing).

SWTOR is treating me better now then STO is at least I can COMPLETE the FUNKING QUES there *******S.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The loss of the Ker'rat faction switch. The devs removed it, and in doing so, ruined my RP fleet that used Fed ships from parallel universes to attack other Fed ships in there.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well, it's a fun game, but the things that 'bug' me would be 'absolutely everything'.

I consider the game completely non-canon in every single detail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That what bugs me in STO is that kind of playerbase:
    I dislike STO so much no I hate STO can't play any funking thing above Normal as most missions fail in stage 0.funking 5 of the mission.

The new rep is a joke the set would be nice but you know can't do the missions, would like to be able to but you know can;t get the New rep weapon or ship set. So because a small percentage of the community reaching 50-1000000k DPS and smashed their as they say "Content".

Story line is worse then some of the PS1 video games I played and play, not even going to attempt heard from fleet mates that they hardly see growth in the bar from completion of the mission, HELLLOOO didnt they say the Funking missions would allow the Funking user to move on to the next Funking mission idiots lazy DEVS (just people who don't know what thier doing).

SWTOR is treating me better now then STO is at least I can COMPLETE the FUNKING QUES there *******S.

Players who drop their unwillingness to learn how to complete mission, what tactic use, understand the game mechanics, etc. at devs. Player who cry for NERF for everything just because someone else can get better results (by analising how it work) with it than them. Players who cry for NERF because they want everything now without working for it.
  • dcboy57dcboy57 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So many people running around in fugly uniforms
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    People creating Alien characters that are gigantic or even extremely tiny.

People dropping spoilers in game or here on the forums*.

*Avoid the "namming mirror dreadnghouts - after which guys/girls/something" if you haven't finishing the Kobali zone. Big spoiler in that that I wasn't warned about. :mad:
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    People creating Alien characters that are gigantic or even extremely tiny.

People dropping spoilers in game or here on the forums*.

*Avoid the "namming mirror dreadnghouts - after which guys/girls/something" if you haven't finishing the Kobali zone. Big spoiler in that that I wasn't warned about. :mad:

Yo dawg I heard you like spoilers, so we put spoilers on your spoilers on your spoilers, so that you could learn that Snape killed dumbledore.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This has always bugged me as well. The episode in which they were introduced back during TNG was basically all about misconceptions, and how they can lead to terrible things. From the Enterprise and Romulans nearly coming to blows due to the Iconian virus TRIBBLE with their ships, to the whole Iconian homeworld being blown up out of fear and paranoia (and possibly greed; the desire to take control of the Iconian gateways.) Way to miss the whole point of that episode, Cryptic writers. :rolleyes:

Still, I give it a pass since it was never outright stated that the Iconians weren't totally evil, and it was merely Picard's theory that they weren't as bad as history made them out to be, leaving things open to interpretation. It's also possible that both historical interpretations are technically true: they started out as conquerors that used their gateway technology to build an empire, but mellowed out after they had taken over most of the galaxy. However, the Iconians underestimated how long the fear and resentment would last from their days of conquest.

I doubt they will do this, since they probably don't see a problem with their interpretation of the Iconians as being 100% evil, but it would be cool if it turned out the antagonistic Iconians are just a smaller faction, hence why they still feel the need for the smoke and mirrors, and manipulating lesser races for their own ends, despite their obvious power. The rest of the surviving Iconians just want to be left alone, and it's only a group of younger Iconians, that want to return to glory days their parents told them about (missing the point about how they lost their original empire in the first place).

Personally the way I fit the STO take on the Iconians is that Picard was right. They started as explorers and visitors. But being the top of the civilizations they got arrogant. even with races that bowed in worship for them. When the coalition of then civilizations came for them they fled. Why? Honestly the easiest thing for the iconians seems to be to just gate a bomb onto enemy ships. Brush their hands and laugh as attackers all die because they are inferior. But they didn't. Instead they left, Conquerors don't just pack up and go or wait for the orbital bombardment to wipe them out because it is fun. They fight back. The only way it makes sense is if they were not conquerors. Seeing the hate and rage of the collective they pulled back to let them calm down. But they didn't calm. They bombarded the Dewa, they bombarded Iconia, then turned on each other. (Hence why none of the current species has direct history of the iconians.)
    Now the Iconians are refugees from an empire they left to appease the 'lesser' peoples. Their few servitors that could come with them had terrible accidents in the wake and they again found themselves picking up the pieces. A movement of hate began. The ungrateful misanthropes of the galaxy had decided to brand them demons and destroy all that was good and beautiful. Then they would become the demons that haunt those nightmares. But first they needed to rebuild, some where else. . .

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ~snip.

You are in your post ignoring the visual facts.

First off, you said "Iconian virus". Yet LaForge clearly mentioned that it wasn't necessarily that... That it seemed more likely to be a program designed for communications and exploration.

Secondly, lets take a look at the architecture:

Narrow hallways and entry points, no coverpoints and large open areas in both buildings we've seen.

A military culture would not design their buildings that way... For an easily defensible structure, you design wide passages (to allow for troop movement) that you can easily block off from one side, but not the other, with lot's of cover, not just for one person, but 2 or 3 at a time, in the scenario of an incursion.

Sure, they MIGHT have felt safe on the homeworld in TNG, but the outpost in DS9 SHOULD have been designed that way.

Also, both Picards team and the Jem'hadar had entirely free movement around the installations...
    You're telling me that EVERYTHING in the iconian structures kept works EXCEPT the automated defenses?

Then, let's take a look at the Gateways themselves... We've seen two... Both were small, and did not allow for fast troop-deployment... You could send 2-3 at a time, and while yes, they could come in colums, you don't deploy that small a group in invasions... You deploy platoons...
    So again, in both instances we've seen the Iconians, their work methods indicate that they weren't strategic thinkers... Unless their invasions were based on back-ops and unseen infiltration...

We don't even do that today...

Now... Finally: The iconians were supposed to have dominated hundred of worlds, right? If you are a grand military force, superiour to EVERYONE else 1o1, what are the chances that:

You would not detect a incoming force of hundreds or thousands of enemy ships?
    You would not be able to put a shield around your entire planet long enough to either mass evacuate or destroy the enemy?

"But anazonda... A photon torpedo barrage couldn even scratch that Gamma gate building... Surely that's a sign that the building was made to defend against attacks?"
    Not really... Correct me if I am wrong: We make civilian buildings designed to withstand Earthquakes and other pretty strong natural disasters right?

And finally... It was "just" 200,000 years ago... Iconian buildings have demonstrated extreme durability... So where are they, if they had military everywhere?
    Shouldn the federation have run across them more than just once? (the Jemmies don't count... different quadrant) Especially since they are living relatively close to the Iconian homeworld. Or the romulans for that matter?

So while it bugs you, it's painful to me to see how people can not see the obvious.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    --not being able to play as Mirror Universe when toon identifies with said MU

--not being able to engage in interstellar combat. it's already TOS canon. Kirk said to "....pivot at warp2" when engaging a Klingon(?) vessel
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
    edited November 2014
    Having you Catian's tail vanish when in a EV suit. ( I have a good idea where it goes, the same place where Cryptic shoves your opinion )

Are you a man? If so, then you should know the problem of... rearranging certain body parts when wearing somewhat tight clothes.

If not... well... Can't help you.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bierstein wrote: »
    Bugs.......
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It's a pity that they took this line - I am happier, in my own headcanon, thinking of the Terran empire we fight as being from a very slightly different mirror timeline to what we saw in the DS9 mirror episodes.

Should'n be that hard to accept really, considering STO is itself a parallel universe that broke away when nemesis ended and shares some minor similarities with he prime universe.
    edited November 2014
    People creating Alien characters that are gigantic

Seven feet is offensively tall now? You must get furious if basketball is on TV.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There are a couple things that bug me in the story line, for starters, the killings of the unborn Jem'hadar. I still can't believe that this made it into the game.

The other thing is the mission where we go back in time, the mission that starts at Bepi 113? When our lovely Section 31 contact gives us the instructions,nye says that we'll look like a Klingon D7 cruiser, but "don't worry. You'll still have all your 25th century firepower" and upon going in, that's bulshavik.
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Erm - no offense, but isn't that the point of playing an Alien?

Were you bothered by the giant's in Harry Potter?
    Did the Ent's in Lord of the Rings offend you?
    Do Hobbits annoy you?

And you must HATE the Smurfs!

Seriously? Because I hate gigantic characters in the game I must hate all big characters? Grow up. What bothers me about them is how unrealistic they look, at least to me.

Adding another one to the list of things that bug me.

People that assume every single Talaxian is the same as Neelix. Neelix was a horrid little creature that tried to make himself out to be what he wasn't just to get a free ride from Voyager. He is not/was not an example of every single Talaxian out there.
    edited November 2014
    Seriously? Because I hate gigantic characters in the game I must hate all big characters? Grow up. What bothers me about them is how unrealistic they look, at least to me.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha! 'Unrealistic'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbLGNDqUxA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ir0ncladbravoir0ncladbravo Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That I have to KEEP re doing my tray EVERY TIME I leave the ship:mad:
    Everytime I see complaints about the same thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As a proud member of the KDF I can earn the title "Dahar Master". But unlike nearly like every Klingon NPC in the game, I cannot own or wear the proper garb of a Dahar Master.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • err0r034err0r034 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    wow gg very nice lol